• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Treasure Hunter Template Killing Ancient Wyverns

Fractal

Visitor
Hi Guys,
I'm a returning player and started T Maps a few days ago. I went on with my first L6 got some frost wyverns and a few spawns with NO Ancient Wyverns. With the help of a few Energy Vortex all went smoothly killing guardians and emptying the chest fairly easy.

Now at my second L6 an Ancient Wyvern spawned as a guardian ... needless to say that my party was over.
I have kept throwing some Energy Vortex at it but I hit a brick wall at 84% health I just can't get it lower then that.

Now I went across the boards to see how can I solo this AW and came across this build on a post dating from 2013. The guy claim he can get kill AW's quite easily using Rising Colossus.

100 Carto
100 lockpick
100(120) Magery - from jewels.
100 Mining
120 mystic
120 focus(+20 from jewels)

And here's my my stats :

Carto 100
Eval Int 100
LockPick 100
Magery 100
Resist Spell 100
Meditation 100
Mysticism 40

My questions are :

1. Is this build still legit (after 5 years) to kill AW's ?
2. Why is he using focus instead of eval int ? Do I really need to turn things around and drop eval Int to raise Focus ?
3. +20 focus and + 20 magery from jewels does this cost ten's of millions to get that from vendors nowadays ?
4. He's missing 100 skill points in his build I guess it's meditation ? (I can't see how you can manage to kill AW's without meditation)
5. Any other suggestions ?

Can't wait to hear your suggestions and answers !

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The RC will kill everything. Focus gives the RC an additional boost. Since you're not casting direct spells, EI isn't necessary. It'll probably take 5 RCs or so to take down an ancient wyrrm, but it takes me less with Spellweaving's Word of Death.

You don't need +20 focus and + 20 magery scrolls. A +20 Mysticism scroll would be helpful, though.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My t-hunter is Mystic 120 Focus 120, Carto Lockpick & Mining 100 with enough magery to invis. I use level three Mystic mastery with focus and mystic being max and mastery my RC gets dispelled a whole lot less than it used to. I find little use for med or eval and run a good mana regin suit and do fine.

TaldarinZPhoenix

Adventurer
You dont need cartography on your template and you only need mining to find the chest.
Save 200 skill points and soulstone off cartography after you decode the map, and once you find the tile with the chest, mark a rune, recall home, stone off mining, stone on 200 points of soMething useful, and go kick that AW’s butt.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
You dont need cartography on your template and you only need mining to find the chest.
Save 200 skill points and soulstone off cartography after you decode the map, and once you find the tile with the chest, mark a rune, recall home, stone off mining, stone on 200 points of soMething useful, and go kick that AW’s butt.
But then you're no longer a treasure hunter. You're just a hunter. Sort of like saying "My Tinker can kick the AW's butt, just have to stone off tinkering first..."

TaldarinZPhoenix

Adventurer
Well that is a matter of fluff and RP, but definitely a point to consider. Arguing optimization vs flavor gets nowhere, because both have thier ups and downs :)
If cartography must be on the template (and if it is, you better have your grandmaster cartographer title up or it doesnt count!) you can still stone off mining and stone on lockpicking after you've found the chest. (And if this doesnt work for you, drop med completely, supplement magery and mining with jewels/special pickaxe and run 55% lmc studded suit)
If i were to suggest a template that includes both lockpick and cartography simultaneously,

100 carto
100 lockpick
92 magery
120 focus
120 mystic
120 spellweaving (lv 3 mastery)
68 med

Cast gift of life, attunement, arcane empowerment, gift of renewal, summon reaper near the chest, dig up the chest, precast invis, chest pops, invis yourself, the reaper shoukd grab aggro and wont last too long. Run away and recast arcane empower if its about to run out, que up colossus then ride in, cast it down and ride away or invis again. Rinse repeat and enjoy your spoils as a treasure hunter and not a regular hunter :)

My template-
100 Cart
100 Lock
100 Mining
110 Focus
110 Mystic
100 Mage
100 Med

I run the mystic mastery. RC is my primary method of clear. Lvl 6 maps are quick and easy. Lvl 7s take a bit longer but they certainly aren't difficult. I prefer having mining/lock/cart as a quality of life thing over having spellweaving/eval and using soulstones. With a decent bit of mana regen on the suit swapping med for eval would probably work. I just don't find myself using magery for damage output that often. This is just my preference.

Fractal

Visitor
WOW thanks alot Guys ! I clearly do not need Mining as I always find the digging spot within a minute. From what I understand with 120 focus and Myst I'm all good to clear guardians on L6's and L7's especially AW's !

One question what do you mean by level 3 Mysticism ?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
WOW thanks alot Guys ! I clearly do not need Mining as I always find the digging spot within a minute. From what I understand with 120 focus and Myst I'm all good to clear guardians on L6's and L7's especially AW's !

One question what do you mean by level 3 Mysticism ?
Skill Mastery - see the description Skill Masteries – Ultima Online

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Well that is a matter of fluff and RP, but definitely a point to consider. Arguing optimization vs flavor gets nowhere, because both have thier ups and downs :)
If cartography must be on the template (and if it is, you better have your grandmaster cartographer title up or it doesnt count!) you can still stone off mining and stone on lockpicking after you've found the chest. (And if this doesnt work for you, drop med completely, supplement magery and mining with jewels/special pickaxe and run 55% lmc studded suit)
If i were to suggest a template that includes both lockpick and cartography simultaneously,

100 carto
100 lockpick
92 magery
120 focus
120 mystic
68 med

Cast gift of life, attunement, arcane empowerment, gift of renewal, summon reaper near the chest, dig up the chest, precast invis, chest pops, invis yourself, the reaper shoukd grab aggro and wont last too long. Run away and recast arcane empower if its about to run out, que up colossus then ride in, cast it down and ride away or invis again. Rinse repeat and enjoy your spoils as a treasure hunter and not a regular hunter :)

Funny, that's my treasure hunter. :)

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to add two more cents to this thread. I do my t-hunts with a mage/tamer template and either a cu sidhe or a giant beetle...

115 Taming / Lore, GM Mining, Cartography, Lockpicking, Magery and Veterinary...

Works like a charm on all level t-maps. I just lure away the starter spawn one screen to fight them in smaller bunches.

Some level 7 maps are hairy due to location or special monsters (I hate yamadons), but it usually gets things done without having to soulstone skills...

Falcon

Visitor

100 carto
100 lockpick
92 magery
120 focus
120 mystic
68 med

It isnt though. Not everyone wants to take time to decode map, stone skills, find spot, dig, run away, stone skills and finally return to finish the spawn. Especially when the job can easily be done by a T-Hunter/Tamer or T-Hunter/Mystic with all the needed skills. Here is my template for example (I dont stone any skills)

120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet
100 Magery
100 Mining
100 Lockpicking
100 Cartography

A modest amount of Jewelry (40 total skill points) is needed to pull this off; but provided you had a sufficiently strong pet, it would work as well with 20 less in vet and magery.

TaldarinZPhoenix

Adventurer
It isnt though.
Not sure why you think this is even worth arguing about, but my comment was directed at the post above mine:

But then you're no longer a treasure hunter. You're just a hunter. Sort of like saying "My Tinker can kick the AW's butt, just have to stone off tinkering first..."
His comment is not regarding the mechanics of the stoning process like yours, it is about the title of his character only, which is RP or fluff.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Yeah, I don't consider that "RP or fluff." I consider it a defining minimum characteristic of what make a treasure hunter, Cartography and Lockpicking. And template that doesn't use those two skills or stones them off is just a PvM template. In fact, fighting the monsters isn't a defining characteristic at all - some "pure" treasure hunters also have mining and remove trap.

Stoning off key skills just make the character a generic PvM character.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Use a Davies Locker, decode all T-maps, then you dont need Carto, stone carto and put a more useful skill on and just use the mining (faster finding chest, esp if in Fel and can get raided), lockpick, and either rest of T-hunter mystic or T-huter tamers skills? The locker is used this way and can hold many, many maps both decoded and I think used..? Usd maps go to trash points nicely too..??