• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Treasure Hunter / Bard Question.

C

Cheepareap

Im looking at getting back into UO after several years of absence. Im in the works of making a Mage/Treasure Hunter. Would this be a good template? :

Magery 85
Med 75
Cart 100
Lock 100
Music 120
Peace 120
Provo 115

Now I've been told that putting Taming, Vet and Lore in place of Music, Provo and Peace was a much better way of doing it.

Any information would be great!

Also, is Treasure Hunting even worth the time? Money wise?

Krinkle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Provocation is still a good skill for treasure hunters. Peacing is not really a good skill anymore. Discord is also a good bard skill. Taming is a good option but I would not dump the bard skills solely because its easier due to Greater Dragons being tough.

Another thing to think about, as an example, would be to remove Peace and add Mysticism and change Meditation out for Focus. Rising Colossus + Provocation = nice treasure hunting. This would probably be easier to train.

Treasure Hunting does give far more than it used to. Can you get more gold in a shorter time than it takes to do Treasure Hunting? Yes, but that's true of most activities. With a level 6 map you get 6 Essences, 30k gold (more from the Guardians), chance at getting a Forged Pardon, chance at getting Mana Orbs, Skeletal Keys, Tasty Treats, Old style Minor Artifacts (i.e. Quacklebush's Cutlass), magical sash's and shields (kinda junky), magic items with 6 properties (rarely good ones), loot to Unravel (sometimes Relic quality), another map (sometimes 1 level higher, i.e. a level 7). Lesser maps will also give a chance at most of these.

UO Relic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well i use a tamer to deal with the spawn but I see problems with your template for the higher levels maps.

Initial guardian spawn can be up to 6 monsters with the AW and other high level monsters ability to break out peace very quickly and their ability to resist your provokes since you dont have room for discord i think your going to face many deaths.
Once (if able) you get past guardian stage so you can open chest it will be slow treading with summons or the limited attack spells you will have at your disposal to kill the higher level monsters again since no room for EI
For lower level maps 1-3, possibly 4 as well you should be able to handle but lvl 5 and 6 are going to cause you to pull hair or go grey without a friend to help.

Money wise can be ok, at present the forged pardon and the blue round thing (sorry forget name - mana orb?!?) sell decently and the imbue ingredients can be good. With imbuing you can make better weps, armor than you will find in chest but might find a piece worth upgrading and lots to melt for ingredients. The lv5's have the mini artis but believe only the Soul Candelabra is the only one worth anything. Have pulled part of a coffin from a lvl6 and assume their are more goodies there that i havent received yet that I would expect would be very lucrative if you decide not to keep for yourself.

If you decide to swap to a tamer t-hunter for the higher lvl spawns just keep your pet offscreen and drag 1 guardian to it at a time and you shouldnt have any issues, once guardians are dead then bring pet up beside you as you loot chest - be warned the lvl5 frost drakes are easy enuf but the lvl6 Frost Drags are 1 of the nastier things to face, handy to have a pet summoning ball for them! They both area attack and target swap I find I have to summon my GD away with pet ball atleast 3x when its tanking a Frost Drag

I find doing maps quite profitable and enjoyable and if you get a map in a bad spot (hard to do because of other monsters spawning or just a small locale, etc) just save them, I find every so often my maps need to be decoded again and their spot will move

UO Relic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just realized you have no mining, that means you need to be right beside or ontop of chest to find it, searching for the chest is definitly the most tedious annoying part of t-hunting!
I put 80 mining on my char and have him wear the +5 mining gloves so I can find a chest that is within 4 tiles of my dig (swap gloves out once chest found)
GM mining would give 5 tiles fyi but didnt hav another 20 points to squeez in

Frodo Baggins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Save yourself 10 more points on mining - do the mining quest south of New Haven and get a Jacob's pickaxe - +10 mining - with +5 gloves - total saving of 15 points!

M

Myna

my t hunter uses

mysticism at 120
focus at 120 (30 from jewels)

magery 110
eval int 100
mining 100
lockpicking 100
cartho 100

total 720 (if you need less skill points, i would drop eval int, colossus kills all, eval int and dragon slayer book just speed up ancient wyrm kills)

with colossus you can do all maps alone, it kills even the ancient wyrm becasue it uses spells, while the ev doing nothing when the creature begins to fly when nearly dead

of course you can kill it with pure magery too, but its a dangerous way

i have bad experiences with barding skills doing t-maps, disco would help yes, but it needs at least 2 skills ...provo is useless, because you need always 2 cratures

taming works with higher lvl maps but the draggin and all around is slower then colossus (and walking per foot or using lots of binding stuff, while with colossus you can use an ethy or charger)

and there are worlds between 2 ev and 1 colossus, a colossus is way tougher, get hardly dispelled and uses spells

also has mysticism a lot useful spells, like cleansing wind, healing stone etc. keeping you alive

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Swap peace for disco, you'll have it sorted.

It's the template my hubby uses and much of the time he can solo level 7s. Just occasionally I have to join in and help a bit.