• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

training vs ringing up training (2008 interesting test!!!)

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ok.
so i power trained discord and was all done.
i had tracked the skill gains all the way to 120 with times and everything and then i got to thinking.... i wonder...... i wonder if it is faster to train low level by ringing up.

well, seeing as i had 10 cu sidhe's allready sitting right in front of me i figured, what the heck.

so here is the numbers in comparing straight trining to ringing up and trining.

<font color="green"> Straight Trianing
10 polar bears
29.2-59.4 5 hours
59.4-65.5 4 hours
10 Gamans
65.5-71.6 2 hours
73.6-82.6 6 hours
10 cu sidhes
82.6-93.0 8 hours
93.0-100.0 9 hours
Total Time 34 Hours </font>

<font color="blue"> Ring Trianing
10 Polar bears
32.1-58.0
RING UP +26
10 cu sidhes
58.0(84.0) - 70.7(96.7) 2.5 hours
70.7(96.7) -81.4(107.4) 5 hours
RING OFF
81.4-98.2 14.5 hours
98.2-100.0 2.5 hours
Total Time 27.5 Hours</font>

so isnt that interesting.
i cut 6.5 hours off by ringing up and doing cu's earlier.
very interesting!

J

joblackjon

I'm very confused.

The Barding Calculator indicates that with 84 Disco, 100 Music and a normal instrument you have 0% chance to Disco a Cu. In fact, from 84 to 91.9 Disco, there is 0% chance of success. I've always thought the best gains were had when there was a 50% chance of success not 0%.

My newest Bard/Tamer (my 3rd) has 100 Music, 89.1 real Disco and a normal instrument, cannot even initiate a Discord on Cu ("You're skill is not up to the task"). I only examined the skill level of your report that was relevant to my situation.

Is the Barding Calculator totally wacky or did you actually get 79 straight gains from only Disco failures at 0% chance of success and 48 additional gains (where the Calculator indicates your best odds were 9.6% chance of success).

The total works out to 127 gains in 2.5 hours (150 minutes) or a gain almost every 1 minute (1.18 mins). Can you Disco 10 trapped Cus in 1.18 minutes, one every 7 seconds?

How is it possible to gain at zero chance of success and to gain so much in so little time? Just asking...how'd you do it?

I

imported_Thom

The cu's were probably released tamed ones. The barding difficulty calculator uses untamed cus which have a much higher barding difficulty than a tamed one.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I

imported_Farsight

<blockquote><hr>

i cut 6.5 hours off by ringing up and doing cu's earlier.
very interesting!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why my training regime for most skills involves a lot of jewelery. Taming works the same way, just keep yourself somewhere close to the middle of the range skill-wise, and gains come very quickly.

Magery can also work the same way, but with smaller increases in jewels. (Truth be told, since most people use a mage weapon to train magery, you can play with the decrease rather than the increase more effectively).

In weapon skills, I've found it best just to ring up as much as possible as long as possible. I've even discovered a way to make a serviceable (as in, can survive in most situations) warrior character in less than 4 hours, simply by ringing up at the appropriate time.

So as soon as I get my many tamed cu's, I'm going to ring up my discord and live with a bunch of dogs for a couple days. I just have to finish off my tamer first.

edit - But it is intersting to have some actual hard data supporting the theory.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
allright.
so a bit more info for you all.

this time its PROVO training.

0 - 33.0 NPC Bard Guildmaster
33.0 - 58.0 10x Polar Bears 3.5 Hours
<font color="red"> RINGED UP + 28 PROVO </font>
58.0 - 88.6 10x Cu Sidhe 12 Hours
88.6 - 92.0 10x Cu Sidhe 3.5 Hours
92.0 - 100 10x Cu Sidhe 12 Hours
<font color="blue"> the following is from GM to 120
100-120 10x Cu Sidhe 60.5 Hours </font>

<font color="green"> Total Time 0-GM: 31 Hours
Total Time 0-120: 91.5 Hours </font>

I

imported_Farsight

In your provoke training, did you ever take the rings off?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
yes.
i took off the ring and watch whenever i hit GM.
so that knocked me back down to 90ish (85-90)