• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Training to GM

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It may seem an obvious answer, but how do I get my mining to GM? Do I just..mine? :D Or are there any better techniques like smelting or using the different tools? Thanks :)

K

Kallie Pigeon

It may seem an obvious answer, but how do I get my mining to GM? Do I just..mine? :D Or are there any better techniques like smelting or using the different tools? Thanks :)
I guess if you are learning to mine so you can mine then mining is the best way. You will end up with ingots to show for it. At lower levels of mining you can gain from smelting but depending on if you want to mine some more or not you can smelt the ore in large piles or single ore. It takes longer to do it by single ore smelts and you end up with the same ingots on average so smelt them all at once and mine some more and you will have more to show for your time.

S

Sean167

im not sure if it has changed but i remmber when i Gmed my mining.. i used to make stacks of 2 in my pack of the best ore i was able to mine and smelt 1 after another..not sure if it still works but i did work for me when i was in the 95+ area..

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mining gains work two ways, unlike most skills.

1. You can gain from mining any metal, up to 100. It is difficulty-based in relation to the chance to successfully mine, which becomes 100 at 100.0 skill.

2. You can gain from smelting. This is based on the difficulty to smelt the metal, which is as follows -
a. Iron can be mined at 0 skill, but cannot be smelted successfully until 25 skill (0.2% chance at 25.1), and stops giving gains at 75.0
b. Dull Copper starts being available at 65 skill, and each additional metal up through verite in 5 point increments (with Valorite at 99 skill). Each colored metal starts at 50% chance to smelt, and becomes 100% chance to smelt 25 skill points higher.
c. As long as you are not 100% to smelt a specific ore, you can get a gain from smelting that ore.

S

Sharantyr

You could GM mining with ore iron, dull copper, shadow iron and copper though it'd probably be quicker moving on to bronze and gold.
Its funny this question came up as I've been thinking of trying this, been digging up ore for 3-4 weeks with some of my other miners and thought I'd make a 6th just from smelting, which is at 50.4 at the moment. I actually think it'd take much longer this way though.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you smelt the ores you are 50-80% to smelt one at a time, you can gain a lot quicker on smelting than mining, but it gets really tedious.

If you have UO assist, separate the ore into single piles by hand, and have a macro to use item type (the ore) on last target (the forge), it will go a bit quicker (while still legal).

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alternatively, you can wait to smelt your colored ore until you have a higher chance of sucess. This way you can start a stockpile of ingots for BODs.

Stayin Alive,

BG