• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Training taming with Jewels

S

sayler04

I've read through the taming faq, but either the answer isnt there or I totally missed it (a real and frequent possibility). In any event, I'm at 88.x in real taming skill, but I have jewels sufficient to bring that up to like 110. My ultimate goal is a real 120 in taming. So far I've been taming the recommended pets for the 80-90 bracket using no jewels.

So the question is, should I:

A.) continue taming, w/o equipping jewels, the monsters appropriate to my real skill level of 88.x

B.) continue taming, WITH jewels equipped for a total of 110, monsters appropriate to my real skill level of 88.x

C.) continue taming, WITH jewels equipped for a total of 110, monsters appropriate to my modified skill level of 110?

thanks for the help

rage

O

Old Man of UO

I've read through the taming faq, but either the answer isnt there or I totally missed it (a real and frequent possibility). In any event, I'm at 88.x in real taming skill, but I have jewels sufficient to bring that up to like 110. My ultimate goal is a real 120 in taming. So far I've been taming the recommended pets for the 80-90 bracket using no jewels.

So the question is, should I:

A.) continue taming, w/o equipping jewels, the monsters appropriate to my real skill level of 88.x

B.) continue taming, WITH jewels equipped for a total of 110, monsters appropriate to my real skill level of 88.x

C.) continue taming, WITH jewels equipped for a total of 110, monsters appropriate to my modified skill level of 110?

thanks for the help

rage
I think your fastest skill gain is going to be where you are and taming bulls and lava lizards without jewelry. But actually, you have a lot more options, such as just adding enough jewelry to tame the cu sidhe (101.1 skill) and tame those, fire steeds at 106.1 (?), etc. Not always is the max amount of skill boosting jewelry the best, sometimes just a few points is better to get 40% - 60% success where you gain skill the fastest.

But that gets boring really really fast. What I did when I was in your shoes is put the jewelry on and go out to learn how to tame everything that I could. If my skill got stuck and didn't move fast enough for me, I put on some jewelry with a bit of skill and tamed something new. Once you get to a spot that you are happy with your natural skill, wear jewelry when you need to, tame as though your total skill is a normal, and enjoy the game and skill gains as they come.

I did this and gained regularly even when my total skill was 120 and my real skill was 110 or 115. I do this with all my skills... if I am not gaining skill fast enough I try something new. This way is a lot less boring, and I have never ever ever run into a wall trying to grind the skill. My skill has never ever ever been stuck and I can always gain faster than the GGS. If you are gaining only as fast as the GGS, try something new.

Sorry, that was kinda long winded.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think your fastest skill gain is going to be where you are and taming bulls and lava lizards without jewelry. But actually, you have a lot more options, such as just adding enough jewelry to tame the cu sidhe (101.1 skill) and tame those, fire steeds at 106.1 (?), etc. Not always is the max amount of skill boosting jewelry the best, sometimes just a few points is better to get 40% - 60% success where you gain skill the fastest.

But that gets boring really really fast. What I did when I was in your shoes is put the jewelry on and go out to learn how to tame everything that I could. If my skill got stuck and didn't move fast enough for me, I put on some jewelry with a bit of skill and tamed something new. Once you get to a spot that you are happy with your natural skill, wear jewelry when you need to, tame as though your total skill is a normal, and enjoy the game and skill gains as they come.

I did this and gained regularly even when my total skill was 120 and my real skill was 110 or 115. I do this with all my skills... if I am not gaining skill fast enough I try something new. This way is a lot less boring, and I have never ever ever run into a wall trying to grind the skill. My skill has never ever ever been stuck and I can always gain faster than the GGS. If you are gaining only as fast as the GGS, try something new.

Sorry, that was kinda long winded.
In addition to what the Old Man said, go tame the Ridgebacks at the Savage Camp in Ilshenar.

http://uo.stratics.com/database/view.php?db_content=hunters&id=295

Just take a Cu, Mare, Bake what ever and kill it after you tame it. I took a Cu to dispatch the occasional Savage intruder.

F

Frey Wavestrider

You can also do Kirins or Unicorns, tame and donate to zoo. Using rings you can use them all way to 120. Not sure it is as fast as redgebacks but donations are good.

O

Old Man of UO

You can also do Kirins or Unicorns, tame and donate to zoo. Using rings you can use them all way to 120. Not sure it is as fast as redgebacks but donations are good.
PERFECT!

The thing so few people realize, can't seem to understand, is that there are so many alternatives to everything. If one thing isn't working for you, bored, not gaining skill fast enough, TRY SOMETHING ELSE! HEH :D

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the idea on paper.
but i really think that the Zoo donations should be tweaked. You need to donate EXTREAMLY many unicors to get anything from the zoo. Its so time consuming, that it not even fun.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd suggest you work at critters appropriate to your skill level without jewellery for now. I've always been of the opinion that you will spend a lot of time with things like bulls and ridgebacks, so the longer you can evade them, the better ;)

Wenchy

U

uoBuoY

I'd suggest you work at critters appropriate to your skill level without jewellery for now. I've always been of the opinion that you will spend a lot of time with things like bulls and ridgebacks, so the longer you can evade them, the better ;)

Wenchy
For maximum taming gains I absolutely agree with Wenchy.
But...
It can be a mind-numbing exercise. Train with no jelews for an hour, say, on bulls and then continue taming with critters you want as pets in your stable. Jewel up if needed. You're going to search for keeper pets eventually. Why not while training?

I believe your ability to gain in a skill is based on your effective skill level not your real skill level. If your at 88.0 and your jewel up to 108.0, you need to train with stuff at the 108.0 level and not the 88.0 level. Skill gain is slower the higher your skill is.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, my boredom threshold is zilch :D I used to tame when I was barely wakened in the morning, then I didn't noticed how many bulls between gains. That's why I moved the younger tamers onto cu sidhe with jewels too. If I'm short of time I run past a few bulls for a GGS, if I have longer it's bulls with my coffee or cu's later on. Mind you, para changelings are an excellent wake up run in the mornings too ;)

I used jewels specifically to get to the next critter down the difficulty list, so I'd agree that it's based on your adjusted rather than real skill.

Wenchy

C

Connor_Graham

I like the idea on paper.
but i really think that the Zoo donations should be tweaked. You need to donate EXTREAMLY many unicors to get anything from the zoo. Its so time consuming, that it not even fun.
By the time you hit 120, you'll have several hundred thousand points turned in at the zoo. I'm using Unicorns for my GGS gains, and have been for some time. I'm well over 100k points now and still only at 106.8 Taming. That's a lot of Unicorns left to turn in...:wall:

O

Old Man of UO

By the time you hit 120, you'll have several hundred thousand points turned in at the zoo. I'm using Unicorns for my GGS gains, and have been for some time. I'm well over 100k points now and still only at 106.8 Taming. That's a lot of Unicorns left to turn in...:wall:
REALLY, Connor... only Girls can tame Unicorns. :D

O

Old Man of UO

Wenchy
You can do better. Use Jewelry when you aren't getting good gains from current targets, but not quite enough skill to get into the 40% - 60% success range for the next level higher pets. This way you spend half as much time with bulls and move on to something more difficult and get gains faster. But don't jewel up just to tame bulls faster if you are already in the 40% - 60% success range.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can do better. Use Jewelry when you aren't getting good gains from current targets, but not quite enough skill to get into the 40% - 60% success range for the next level higher pets. This way you spend half as much time with bulls and move on to something more difficult and get gains faster. But don't jewel up just to tame bulls faster if you are already in the 40% - 60% success range.
Aye, that's sorta what I was saying too albeit in my odd little way ;)

Wenchy