• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Training pet discord from 115 to 120

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anyone found a good critter to fight for consistent gains? I've tried shadow wyrms, white wyrms and balrons all of which have around 115 bard difficulty but disord won't budge from 115.2 even with whispering. Just curious what others have found good success with.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I trained mine in that range on Swoops and the Balrons in Blackthorns dungeon. It took a few days but that's what worked for my CU. The Balrons in Blackthorns spawn two types, ones with normal resists and HP's and another with very low resists and very hi HP's and it seems I gained off the second typed more (Barding difficulty 160). I also noticed quite a few gains just by fighting as it would gain from casting masteries.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I trained mine in that range on Swoops and the Balrons in Blackthorns dungeon. It took a few days but that's what worked for my CU. The Balrons in Blackthorns spawn two types, ones with normal resists and HP's and another with very low resists and very hi HP's and it seems I gained off the second typed more (Barding difficulty 160). I also noticed quite a few gains just by fighting as it would gain from casting masteries.
Was this before or after the nerf to the mastery?

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After. I stopped training discord when my CU kept discording itself and started again after they fixed the targeting issues.

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I used navrey to take mine from 115.1 to 118.1 in just a few rounds..it will gain off failed attempts( best used with whisper ready) .. if it gets a land.. just call it back invis ..and repeat.. =^-^=

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I stopped training discord when my CU kept discording itself and started again after they fixed the targeting issues.
Hiya Prince Erik! Just wondering, has your Cu not discorded itself at all since the fix? Thinking of also going for disco on one of our Cu´s so we hope for a confirmation it is indeed fixed.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It does indeed appear to be fixed. My CU does not discord itself randomly anymore but it still will discord itself if I forget and have it target itself. That was one of my tactics when it was surrounded by mobs and stopped fighting. I'd just issue an "all kill" and target my CU and it would start fighting again. If I do that now it will discord itself. Otherwise, no more random discords and it doesn't cast masteries on itself either. :)

jeffery

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I used navrey to take mine from 115.1 to 118.1 in just a few rounds..it will gain off failed attempts( best used with whisper ready) .. if it gets a land.. just call it back invis ..and repeat.. =^-^=
I have a 100% fire drake that I am thinking about putting discordance on for Navrey. I would use the drake with my thrower/tamer. Is this a good idea and wht other skills or special move's, if any, would I use?

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Good afternoon Jeffery, Yes as navery is very weak to fire damage and The drakes uses fire for its melee attacks this would be a great combo for a navrey pet... I would consider giving goo as well.. I know its sound off for a single target fight.. but goo acts like a taunt for navrey and will insure she stays on your pet... plus the ai of goo is tooled so it will not use it that often in single target.. but if it gets teleported across the room the goo will still hit nav while tis web and she will often follow your pet instead of going after you...Plus it gives it the aoe to take into spawns if ya wish... another move I would 100% give it is armor ignore... a 100% fire damage armor ignore is magic on navrey.. The discord is a great add for most pets.. you will have to take it to 120 for its true power to shine though.. ya will delight in what your pet can do once it hits that mark.^_~

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
another move I would 100% give it is armor ignore... a 100% fire damage armor ignore is magic on navrey
Ehm, we still are unsure of the exact workings ourselves, but according to the UO Wiki Special Moves page, AI "allows the skilled warrior to bypass his target’s physical resistance, for one shot only." And even more clearly: "For this attack, the defender has 0 Physical Resistance, but the attack only does 90% normal damage."
And from the UO Guide page on Armor Ignore: "The next strike ignores the Physical Resistance of the attacked, but cause 90% of the normal damage only."
So we wonder, does it help at all on a 100% fire pet? You have tested a LOT we know so maybe you can clear this up for us. :):)

I'd just issue an "all kill" and target my CU and it would start fighting again.
We always use either a targeted all kill on any of the surrounding aggressors, or an "All guard me" which also seems to spur them back into action. Thanks for your quick response!

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Good afternoon Tabby, Sometimes I do forget to post certain findings.. .. armor ignore on pets cost 50 instead of the 30 it does on players and will uses the damage % they use(like 100fire or cold) to target that resist for the hit( so if ya use a pet that uses 100% of the weakest resist on a boss and it uses it.. it will be a much stronger hit)...I found it odd too..but its just the way they seem to use it instead of targeting phy only.. I first took note of it when I was trying my fire beetle and found his armor ignores were hitting nav for 150-160. max instead of the 150ish the blue beetle would hit for....so ran more test using other 100% pets like cold drakes on things weak to cold.. etc.. oddly enough on pets that have more then one type like a cu.. it tends to pick just one type and use it..Ive found it uses energy damage on cu..over the cold..Its not a full 0 reduction on the resist but closer to them hitting it with more then half the resist value.. or at least thats what I have it clocked it.. there are a number of other things that go into play too.. Like if the pet is phy damage based... and uses a move like grasp claw to reduce the phy resist.. then the armor ignore will have a higher value of damage.. same with rune corruption and other moves of the sort.... then there are just some crazy combos that cause it to do huge values of damage... like if Rune corruption is up because of another tamers pet... and your pets cast ene of one , and con weapon... those are the over 300 points armor ignores there.. same for discord being up on a monster..so far the highest armor ignore I was able to pull off with a boss lvl monster with every debuff I could put on it was 388.. .I'm not sure if the way armor ignore is working is a bug.. or how they intended it to work... but for now.( and the damage increase from using a pet of the weakest reisit is only about 5-10 extra damage to the Armor ignore unless ya debuff it further then its 15-20ish..). this is what I have seen of it.. hope this helps.. sorry I did not post more on this sooner.. ^_~

Last edited:

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I pulled that one off with my chiv lesser hiryu.. he often hits armor ignores in the 276-285 range..and every now and again 290-310 range.. but if RC and discord are on a boss he is fighting he gets into the 366-80 range with it..

jeffery

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Good afternoon Jeffery, Yes as navery is very weak to fire damage and The drakes uses fire for its melee attacks this would be a great combo for a navrey pet... I would consider giving goo as well.. I know its sound off for a single target fight.. but goo acts like a taunt for navrey and will insure she stays on your pet... plus the ai of goo is tooled so it will not use it that often in single target.. but if it gets teleported across the room the goo will still hit nav while tis web and she will often follow your pet instead of going after you...Plus it gives it the aoe to take into spawns if ya wish... another move I would 100% give it is armor ignore... a 100% fire damage armor ignore is magic on navrey.. The discord is a great add for most pets.. you will have to take it to 120 for its true power to shine though.. ya will delight in what your pet can do once it hits that mark.^_~
Thanks for this info. Now I am wondering about how much mana reg, hpr, and stam reg to use. I think 30 needs to go on mana reg and 10 or stam and hpr.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Armor ignore does not work like that. It "ignores" all resistances on anything you attack. Its damage is based on dmg increase plus base damage, that's it. It can do a lot on a pet due to high strength and capped base damage. Only thing that you can add to improve that damage is chiv for EOO. Nothing else affects armor ignore damage.

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Good afternoon Jeffery, Its always a good idea to put max 20 HP reg on a pet.. often it allows it to stand alone with lil to no healing in everyday hunts.. and should you die on a hard encounter it can keep your pet a float until ya are back on your feet... for stam the answer to this varies depending on what the pet will be used for and its HP... a pet with higher HP hardly will take a huge dip in stam.. but if its a small pool like 500ish or lower.. it can dip down to 130 and chill there... for most of my aoe builds or pets I know I will be doing spawns on I do at least 6 stam reg.. that allows them to recovery from massive HP drops when spawns pop a new lvl... unless you don't go with 120 focus in your pets build then I find 9-12 is about right for spawn pets.( some pets you have so many extra points to spend ya will end up with max stam reg ).. You are very right that 30 mana reg is a must for all pets.. because this is what keep your pets in the game once its mana pool is spent... .. Of course bare in mind that these numbers just reflect the math of my play style and may vary from player to play..... Hope this helps =^-^=

Last edited:

jeffery

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Good afternoon Jeffery, Its always a good idea to put max 20 HP reg on a pet.. often it allows it to stand alone with lil to no healing in everyday hunts.. and should you die on a hard encounter it can keep your pet a float until ya are back on your feet... for stam the answer to this varies depending on what the pet will be used for and its HP... a pet with higher HP hardly will take a huge dip in stam.. but if its a small pool like 500ish or lower.. it can dip down to 130 and chill there... for most of my aoe builds or pets I know I will be doing spawns on I do at least 6 stam reg.. that allows them to recovery from massive HP drops when spawns pop a new lvl... unless you don't go with 120 focus in your pets build then I find 9-12 is about right for spawn pets.( some pets you have so many extra points to spend ya will end up with max stam reg ).. You are very right that 30 mana reg is a must for all pets.. because this is what keep your pets in the game once its mana pool is spent... .. Of course bare in mind that these numbers just reflect the math of my play style and may vary from player to play..... Hope this helps =^-^=
Donavon, yes, this helps out a lot. Thank you for the info. I am going with 120 or focus and Med. I am thinking about 120's on Anatomy, Wristling, Tactics, Parrying and RS. I think this is a little over kill. I am using this fire drake with a thrower/tamer for Navrey and maybe a few other spawn.

jeffery

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Donavon, yes, this helps out a lot. Thank you for the info. I am going with 120 or focus and Med. I am thinking about 120's on Anatomy, Wristling, Tactics, Parrying and RS. I think this is a little over kill. I am using this fire drake with a thrower/tamer for Navrey and maybe a few other spawn.
What do u think?

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Good afternoon Jeffery.. My net is down for a few days so I'm posting this from my lunch as a local hot spot..;-) .. I think giving your per 120 power scrolls is a grand idea the 120 med and focus will keep your mana flowing, the 120 wrestling will make your pet hit navrey more effective while making your pet harder to hit, the tactics will not only increase your damage done but a lot reduce the amount of damage being done to your pet..the resisting spells will make sure her curses only lower your str by 7 while giving your a much higher chance to avoid her mana drains, poison , para, and a few other nasty moves..and the anatomy will be a flat 15% damage increase.. I would suggest 120 parry as well as it plays well with 120 wrest and tactics and together is an extra 15-18% damage reduction.. I fully surrport your scrolling of a pet ..i

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Sorry the net here is abit weak..so the post is worded oddly..but as I was saying...don't think of it as over kill..think of it as making an effective boss level pet to take on a boss.. Hope this helps mate.my net should be back in a day or two..until then...give that spider hell =^¬^=

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They actually perform the discord masteries you say, would you recommend a lot of mana on a cu with this?
The thing with the masteries is that as soon as the pet takes damage the mastery is broken. So, honestly, I don't think they're all that beneficial so I didn't put any huge emphasis on additional mana for them. ;)

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The thing with the masteries is that as soon as the pet takes damage the mastery is broken. So, honestly, I don't think they're all that beneficial so I didn't put any huge emphasis on additional mana for them. ;)
oh dang they follow the same rules ofc :p

discord, fient + bushido skill will increase parrying chance..., max intelligence+mana regen 30 (cu's 600 str anyway don't touch). Wonder if worth...

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Good morning Deadly, I've been testing the math on the changes to int and the mana reg buff it gained about a week ago.. so far the best balance Ive found lower stats wise was 678 str 150 dex and 500 int.. This only lowers its melee damage by about 2% while giving you +10ish more mana reg .. in total I have it clocked as about a 13-15% damage increase from the mana return alone... any more then 500 int and you end up losing to much melee damage to make it worth it... This newest change to int has really helped bring the lower passive mana reg pets up to new lvls damage wise.. I think ya will enjoy this stat build if ya give it a go.. ( Bare in mind these stats work best from the lower mana reg monsters like cu, mares, dragons, drakes, firesteed, etc... pets that are in the high end passive mana reg monster family like hiryus.. its best to still keep them at 700str 150 dex 125-370 int as they already have a fine leg up on mana control..) hope this helps if ya have any more questions feel free to ask. =^-^=

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
@Donavon thx, i saw a similar post by you but your findings on STR very nice.

So just for clarity if you leave a Cu with it's default 600-610 strength it loses roughly 10% damage vs 700?

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
More or less depending on the fight.. On shorter fights where every lil bit counts..( Like EM bosses, fel champ spawn, and roof fight... That extra damage from melee swings/ special attacks can mean the diff between 1-2 power scrolls.. or empty pockets... On most fights leaving them near the 600 mark was about a 10% loss.. on others where the fight was not as long the values of the damage time was a lot bigger of a lose.. as there would be a certain ramp up considering the spec of the cu... so it truly depends on what spec your Cu is... That's when I started lowering str and increase int on 10 test cu , 8 night mares, and some fire steeds .. The mares were to see the effect on pure magery lower passive while the cu,s and fire steeds were everything from pure melee spec, chiv, goo/pure spec.. and a few other combos... at the end with the monster oppents debuffed.. and the values of long fights VS short fights... 678str 150 dex 500 int was the best well rounded value to bring the burst early on for the short fights, yet keep the magic flying at a decent rate in longer fights...

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
thanks, this is great info. I kinda wish i found it sooner.
Nope..You got to be careful when looking at OLD posts. The posts above are over 1 year old and lots of changes have happened since. Please try to use newer posts, before you ruin pets and waste your time. If you have questions Don, Khaelor, Khyro, Pawain will be glad to help. They are pretty much out resident experts on the most recent changes.