• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Training 1 slot pets

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there anything that a 1 slot pet can handle that gives more than .02 per gain? At that rate it's soooooooooo slow. I'm at 9% and it's been many many boring hours.

I've tried a lot of stuff, but nothing that wont straight up ruin my pet in 2 seconds that gives more. For example I got a decent gain from liches... but my pet just can't handle them with 90 hps and essentially no resists.

Any tips?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Have you tried the monsters at Shame level 1?
With consume damage up or peace songs, they ought to handle earth elementals and mud pies and those might give them good gains.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you tried the monsters at Shame level 1?
With consume damage up or peace songs, they ought to handle earth elementals and mud pies and those might give them good gains.
Yeah, I did mud pies, could handle them fine got .02% from them.

No peace and only crappy consume damage I fear.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I will do some tests later on today, once I am done with my rune beetle and my cu sidhe.
Once I figure something out, I will post here.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Surprisingly can handle demons with some difficulty... but same .02% gains.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Surprisingly can handle demons with some difficulty... but same .02% gains.
Try using a 3 or 4 slot pet to tank and let the lower guy just hack away. Eternal gazers are good for doing that.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Trogs also give .02.
Greater earth elementals in shame too. Couldn't get a gain from Clay Golems. They killed my pet too fast.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try using a 3 or 4 slot pet to tank and let the lower guy just hack away. Eternal gazers are good for doing that.
It would have to be a 3 slot, cause once you start taming a 1 it bumps to 2. This seems to help though. I working on Rotters, and getting .06 per. So that's something.

Still gonna take 100 thousand years. :p

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If you use a Cu Sidhe, they usually drop to 3 slots when you start training, and you can use it to tank unbound EVs while you lower level pet gains.
Even better if you have disco going.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you use a Cu Sidhe, they usually drop to 3 slots when you start training, and you can use it to tank unbound EVs while you lower level pet gains.
Even better if you have disco going.
Haven't got one. I think RC's are as good as I'll find.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'd consider trying Winds at Shame level 5 to.
And if you are using a Rune Beetle to tank, diseased blood elementals might do the trick too.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And if you are using a Rune Beetle to tank, diseased blood elementals might do the trick too.
Playing a pretty undeveloped character, so my options are a scant limited.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Greater poison eles are great for training rune beetles.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there anything that a 1 slot pet can handle that gives more than .02 per gain? At that rate it's soooooooooo slow. I'm at 9% and it's been many many boring hours.

I've tried a lot of stuff, but nothing that wont straight up ruin my pet in 2 seconds that gives more. For example I got a decent gain from liches... but my pet just can't handle them with 90 hps and essentially no resists.

Any tips?
Maybe try the first-level critters of various champ spawns?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure if I'm remembering right, but I think someone mentioned ortanords for low level pets. Only don't gank me if my memory is wrong!

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Starting the Training Process doesn't automatically increase the pet's control slots, only when they hit 100% Training and you start making selections with it does their Control Slot increase. I was able to train a 1 slot Fire Beetle, 2 slot Crimson Drake, and 2 slot Platinum Drake all at the same time. Best thing to do is have something tough tank for your 1 slot pet. Allosaurus in Eodon make for great gains, they do 50% Physical Damage/50% Poison Damage, so Rune Beetles and Dread Spiders can tank them well.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I was able to train a 1 slot Fire Beetle, 2 slot Crimson Drake, and 2 slot Platinum Drake all at the same time.
Hmm. Can you train and transfer a pet? I'd like the fire beetle on my mine to have a bit more punch.

Sent from mTalk

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmm. Can you train and transfer a pet? I'd like the fire beetle on my mine to have a bit more punch.

Sent from mTalk
As soon as you start altering their Stats/Resists/Skills/Abilities with the Training system, it makes them require Taming/Lore to control.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Starting the Training Process doesn't automatically increase the pet's control slots, only when they hit 100% Training and you start making selections with it does their Control Slot increase. I was able to train a 1 slot Fire Beetle, 2 slot Crimson Drake, and 2 slot Platinum Drake all at the same time. Best thing to do is have something tough tank for your 1 slot pet. Allosaurus in Eodon make for great gains, they do 50% Physical Damage/50% Poison Damage, so Rune Beetles and Dread Spiders can tank them well.
Starting the training process DOES automatically change the control slots, some of the tamables just keep the same slot count, but some do not. For example, my 4 slot Cu changed immediately to 3 slots when I started the training process.... and my 3 slot Rune Beetle went to 4 slots immediately.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Starting the training process DOES automatically change the control slots, some of the tamables just keep the same slot count, but some do not. For example, my 4 slot Cu changed immediately to 3 slots when I started the training process.... and my 3 slot Rune Beetle went to 4 slots immediately.
Yeah, forgot about that. As soon as i started the Training process, my Fire Beetle went from 3 slots to 1. It's depends on the stats of the pet. If it's high end for it's species, it's Control Slot may go up by 1.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It depends on if it's a pet you already had or a new one. Some of my current pets went up slots when I began the training but all of the new pets I've tamed since the patch have stayed the same.

I had a 2-slot Mare on Siege that went to 3 when I began training, old pets will auto-update.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can tell using the animal lore gump if the pet will change when training is started... it tells you the starting and ending level of the pet for the training process... if it says 3->5 for a Cu, then it will drop to a 3. If a rune beetle says 4->5 then it will change to a 4, etc....

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Something interesting that I noticed is that my 2 slots fire steed was gaining fairly poorly and slow at Unbound EVs, but gaining fast against eternal gazers and diseased blood elementals.
But once I upgraded it to 3 slots, it is gaining a lot faster from Unbound EVs.
There seems to be some calculation determining the gain chance and the greater the difference between pet and mob, the harder it is to gain.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure if I'm remembering right, but I think someone mentioned ortanords for low level pets. Only don't gank me if my memory is wrong!
You won't get pet trianing with ortanords, but they are good for training up the wrestling and tactics to about 50.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something interesting that I noticed is that my 2 slots fire steed was gaining fairly poorly and slow at Unbound EVs, but gaining fast against eternal gazers and diseased blood elementals.
But once I upgraded it to 3 slots, it is gaining a lot faster from Unbound EVs.
There seems to be some calculation determining the gain chance and the greater the difference between pet and mob, the harder it is to gain.
Paragon rotting corpses were giving me awesome gains (like .32 per) but I didn't have time to work the one I found for long.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
im having a problem training using a 'meat shield'.
seems my pet will only gain if he is the one actively being targeted by the baddy.
if my guild mate puts hit put there to let it get hit and i come up behind and let my pet loose on it i get no gains.
invis guildies pet and let mine take over getting hit and i gain.

not a big deal as im using a bigger pet but for a 1 or 2 slot that would be nasty.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im having a problem training using a 'meat shield'.
seems my pet will only gain if he is the one actively being targeted by the baddy.
if my guild mate puts hit put there to let it get hit and i come up behind and let my pet loose on it i get no gains.
invis guildies pet and let mine take over getting hit and i gain.

not a big deal as im using a bigger pet but for a 1 or 2 slot that would be nasty.
Gains can be slow and sporadic. You can go 5 minutes on the same monster with no gains, then get like 3 in a row. I know my 1 slotter is gaining when it's not the target, cause it would be dead in 2 seconds if it were.

Night

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have done a few 1-slot pets to 100% now with a 3-slot Cu tanking, here's what I noticed in case it's of use:

1. Have the tank pet take agro and then command it to stop/follow so it continues to tank but isn't killing the mob. You can use 1 mob to go from 0-100% on your 1-slotter this way. The Cu/tank will still gain just not as quickly as when fighting. This is faster than having to repeatedly fetch mobs.

2. Some pets absolutely suck at gaining on certain mobs, experimentation is the key here so mix it up a bit and find something that works. Getting the "Greater" gains is awesome (~1.4%+ per tick) and is the only way to train. The time spent finding the right mob to train on makes it go what feels like 100x faster. No doubt at some point there will be a list of what to train on for each pet.

3. As said above, wait for a decent amount of time for the gains to start. I have found that using Animal Lore a bit can get things moving (conspiracy theory) but also the Mastery ability As One shares out the damage (be ready to vet) from the tank and I have found kick-starts the gains. I did this every now and then because I don't have much MR/LMC but also because the tank still needs to be healed. Lots of bandies is the key, maybe a bit of Gift of Renewal (Humans can cast with 0 skill) but for 1-slot pets you don't need to be on the most powerful mob in the game to gain well.

4. Discord seems to sometimes bring a mob 'within range' of gains for your 1-2 slot pet so experiment a bit and see what works.

5. 3 slot Cu plus enhanced 1-slot (up to 2 slot) pet looks like it could be an awesome / fun combo for the future.

Overall a fun release so far, training 0-100% sucks at 0.1% per tick ... don't do it !!

Last edited:

Lavender

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
As soon as you start altering their Stats/Resists/Skills/Abilities with the Training system, it makes them require Taming/Lore to control.
I can't find this mentioned anywhere on the uo.com/wiki. If I take a human character with only human ability skills it does allow me to lore my animals and I see the option to train. So what you are saying, is that if I modify a regular horse to Slot 3, I can no longer ride it?

I was wondering about my pack beetle. It is 3 slots right now but says 1=>5 so does that mean if I start training it goes from 3 slots to 1, but I can train it up to 5?? If I had a lvl 5 pack beetle it would supposedly be dragon strength. So I can understand needing taming/lore to control it but I can't find any place where uo.com says this is the case as you have stated.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can't find this mentioned anywhere on the uo.com/wiki. If I take a human character with only human ability skills it does allow me to lore my animals and I see the option to train. So what you are saying, is that if I modify a regular horse to Slot 3, I can no longer ride it?

I was wondering about my pack beetle. It is 3 slots right now but says 1=>5 so does that mean if I start training it goes from 3 slots to 1, but I can train it up to 5?? If I had a lvl 5 pack beetle it would supposedly be dragon strength. So I can understand needing taming/lore to control it but I can't find any place where uo.com says this is the case as you have stated.
If you don't have Taming/Lore skill, you cannot control a leveled pet. It will disobey and go wild if you try to command it. I have guildmates that have tried soulstoning on Taming/Lore to level a normally 0 Taming required pet, then soul stoning the Taming/Lore off when done, and they couldn't control the pet. However, i have had guildies vendor train up their Animal Taming skill, so that they could begin the Training Process on a Giant Beetle to drop it to 1 Slot (which makes the Giant Beetle require 18.0 Taming to control), then they dropped the Taming skill, and were still able to control the Giant Beetle with Human JoAT.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Overall a fun release so far, training 0-100% sucks at 0.1% per tick ... don't do it !!
Trained my fire steed from 2 to 4 slots on GDs. Now at 4 to 5 I am getting gains which are 0.02%. I hope I dont have to do champs to get decent gains with this thing.

Last edited:

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
[QUOTE="Night, post: 2834174, member: 1549"
Trained my fire steed from 2 to 4 slots on GDs. Now at 4 to 5 I am getting gains which are 0.02%. I hope I dont have to do champs to get decent gains with this thing.
Unbound EVs at Shame.
You will gain between 1.25%, up to 25% per unbound ev killed.
I got two of mine to level 5 like this yesterday.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unbound EVs at Shame.
You will gain between 1.25%, up to 25% per unbound ev killed.
I got two of mine to level 5 like this yesterday.
Thank you! My gains are more like .3%, but still it's much better than the alternatives.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Thank you! My gains are more like .3%, but still it's much better than the alternatives.
That is strange. I was getting a lot more, and outside powerhour.
But I had another tamer of mine with a 5 slots Ch Sidhe doing the tanking and I also discorded the unbound EV, and both were partied
Gains were being really awesome this way. Took killing 3 Unbound EVs to get from 3 to 4 slots, even.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
when you stumble upon a critter that super trains your pet its like the bank machine is spewing out money all over the ground and your the only one there.
guild mate and myself where out taming new stuff and just having fun, both our pets where at like 1.00000006 in training, all of a sudden he says in TS..... "um, my pet just jumped up to 10.0!"
i was tied up taming a particular nasty critter and was listening to him
"OMG im up to 25!"
"i cant believe this im up to 50!"

i soon broke off and came over, his pet had capped at 51 on that baddy.
so i put mine on and BOOOOOM! off it went the training numbers where rolling in.
i hit 53 in probably 10 minutes?????

after all the 0.000004 gains that was crazy!

bad news from the story.
i got cocky..... i know right, me?
took my Fire Drake out of the stable that was in there cooking up to bond, i had already fully trained all its skills up to 100% and was waiting for it to bond before working the leveling up.

i think we can all see where this is going!
thought id get a jump on leveling up and took the poor drake out, 2 hits and he was dead.
couldn't even get 1 band-aid in on him in time, haha!
so that was a day of training skills wasted.
lesson learned.
leave them to bond or dont be so cheap and buy a insta pet bond potion.

redman2k

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've just started playing a tamer and I am leveling up some timber wolves. I would agree that the pet that tanks seems to gain more experience than the others that aren't.

I do have a question, is pet target order when using "all kill" based on order they are removed from the stables? It seemed like the same wolf always tanked the target monster and never fluctuated, and he was the first I removed from the stable. He was also a "fresher" tame and basically caught up to the other wolves exp % from tanking so much.

Does anyone know if exp gain is based off skill gains? I seemed to gain much better when fighting magical creatures than non-magical. Air ele vs earth ele and my only thought was because my pets have no magic resist.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've just started playing a tamer and I am leveling up some timber wolves. I would agree that the pet that tanks seems to gain more experience than the others that aren't.

I do have a question, is pet target order when using "all kill" based on order they are removed from the stables? It seemed like the same wolf always tanked the target monster and never fluctuated, and he was the first I removed from the stable. He was also a "fresher" tame and basically caught up to the other wolves exp % from tanking so much.

Does anyone know if exp gain is based off skill gains? I seemed to gain much better when fighting magical creatures than non-magical. Air ele vs earth ele and my only thought was because my pets have no magic resist.
Yes, your primary pet will always be whichever pet you unstable first. Skill gains (wrestling/tactics) will be based off the those same skills of the critter your fighting. The general rule is you want your pet to be withing 25 skill points of whatever you are fighting.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Having a Tsuki Wolf tanking a Crazed in Shame 5 and a Beetle hitting it, the Tsuki maxed out quickly (40.x%), while the Beetle took what felt like forever.

They really should work on exp gain for weaker pets.

If you want to increase your gains with 1 slotters, either a) train their wrestle up to 100 first or b) take along a 4x bard with provoke mastery and have him run inspire for the increased hit chance. Or both. (Though the chance of jumping a slot if you train wrestle to 100 first is a definite negative)

Maker2014

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you want to increase your gains with 1 slotters, either a) train their wrestle up to 100 first or b) take along a 4x bard with provoke mastery and have him run inspire for the increased hit chance. Or both. (Though the chance of jumping a slot if you train wrestle to 100 first is a definite negative)
Not really, the slot jumping days are hopefully over in 2 days : Tuesday Pub 98 claims to correct this. Right?

Leira of Asrai

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am returning to UO a little late after all of you have done the long grueling hours of testing. Thank you.

I have trained about a dozen different pets, all on the Crazed Mage in Shame. I also found that tanking pets receive more experience. The amount per gain seems to be dependent on the its current lvl. A 1-2 slot will gain slow, a 3 will gain fast and will cap at about 50% and a 4 slot pet will train steady, but will cap at 25%, 50%, 75%... If your pet has 200-300 hp, you can probably have it tank. Be ready with bandies and G. Heals. The gains are really fast and training a pet from 1=>5 can be done in just a couple of days. I have done all my training immediately after taming, even with their skills in the 60s.

I hate it when the mage casts invis and most pets lose aggro. Also, I hate when the mage is low on HP and chains Greater Heals.

I tested something and found an incredibly EASY way to train a 1 slot pet as the tank even with only 125 hp. Have your character invis/hidden, but not your pet. When the mage spawns, let your pet auto-aggro. As soon as it starts to attack, cast Poison Field on the Mage. The mage will only use its spells and mana to dispel 3 of the fields then try to cure himself. He will dispel the tile to the left, then to the right, then the one he is standing in. (he is crazy) The mage will not cast any spells on your pet as long as he is poisoned. Time your fields about every 10 seconds and your pet will only take the 1-2 damage from wrestling melee.

I have done this successfully with a 1 slot Fire Beetle, Giant Beetle and Unicorn.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I tested something and found an incredibly EASY way to train a 1 slot pet as the tank even with only 125 hp. Have your character invis/hidden, but not your pet. When the mage spawns, let your pet auto-aggro. As soon as it starts to attack, cast Poison Field on the Mage. The mage will only use its spells and mana to dispel 3 of the fields then try to cure himself. He will dispel the tile to the left, then to the right, then the one he is standing in. (he is crazy) The mage will not cast any spells on your pet as long as he is poisoned. Time your fields about every 10 seconds and your pet will only take the 1-2 damage from wrestling melee.
Neat.

Just attack the mage with your one and 2 slot pets. It teaches you how to heal. When you can do an unbonded Ki Rin you are a pro.

Be glad you can get the mage to yourself.

It is occupied on LS right now....

upload_2018-6-16_20-47-31.png

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Neat.

Just attack the mage with your one and 2 slot pets. It teaches you how to heal. When you can do an unbonded Ki Rin you are a pro.

Be glad you can get the mage to yourself.

It is occupied on LS right now....

View attachment 82889
In my experience that mage can oneshot the 1 slot beetle with an occasional FS, so non-stop healing fails every few minutes.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I tried to tank the mage with my fire beetle, it didn’t go well and I was casting heals and throwing bandages nonstop. So I gave up on tanking.
Now my beetle is 2 slot and doing better.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Make a macro that does bandages and casts a G heal. that targets follower.

Also works great when pet is surrounded at a spawn. Just run up and do the macro 5 times and pet goes from low life to full.