• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Trade Forums Proposition

Ryna

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since most of these forums are lightly used, we thought it might benefit to condense them. I encourage you to leave a feedback post one way or the other.
It would be like this:
<blockquote><hr>

UO Trade, Cross-Shard Trading -Stays the same

UO Trader's Hall - Stays the same

UO Rares Collector - Stays the same

UO X-Shard Holiday Trading - Stays the same

UO Trade Asia - Stays the same

UO Trade Australia - The trading forum for Oceania.

UO Trade Europa - The trading forum for the Europa and Drachenfels.

UO Trade East Coast - The trading forum for Atlantic, Catskills, and Legends.

UO Trade Central - The trading forum for Chesapeake, Great Lakes, Lake Austin, Lake Superior.

UO Trade Pacific Coast - The trading forum for Napa Valley, Baja, Origin, Pacific, Sonoma.

[/ QUOTE ]

A

Aang

No. It will be a constant barrage of "what shard is this on?" just like in the rares forum. I'll pass. Keep it the same.

D

dsnchanted395

I don't see how this will do anything but add confunsion and hassle. As each shard is specific there's not a lot of "what shard are you on" type questions. It's simple and clean cut. I like that.

G

I spoke with Ryna, and was told that there might be a chance of some sort of filter or sub forum would be introduced into the new super forums to maintain organization and ease of use.

G

I was going to vote no, because I want to see what is on my shard (what I can buy without a transfer token)....... few people will bother to list their shard. However, if it is *mandatory* for everyone to tick a box or choose from a dropdown before the post will go through, and that data is then publicly displayed on every post, then I can see this working.

So, I'll hold my vote for now.

G

Personally I feel that the lesser used trade forums should be grouped together and the shards that are more active should retain their individuality, as well as the non shard specific forums..

G

I am not sure I see where the benefit would be. I think if they were combined they would be used even less. I play legends and would not even bother checking a combined thread for East Coast.

G

I voted Nay. If you want to cut back on the forums, how about moving the Trade forums back with the shard forums.

G

Moving the trade forums back with the shard forums would cause the same problems that simply combining shard forums would.

It would make each forum a confusing mess of price checks/sale threads and roleplaying/event/misc threads. Plus it would only reduce the number of forums by 1/2, clearly theyre trying to find a method to reduce it even further.

Although perhaps a combination of their idea and that is a good one.

Allow the more used shard forums to retain their identity, and combine the lesser used shard forums with its trade forum. Then further combine these shard/shard trade forums into one large forum, with each individual shard its own sub forum.

meh, i like it the way it is.

G

You could combine the cross shard trading and the holiday cross shard trading but for particular shards I like to see whats happening on Baja not for the whole West coast. And from using the Rares forum its awfull at times trying to figure out the shard as most people never remember to put the info in the post

G

Question ... is not Lake Austin considered a West Coast shard for publishes and such. Yeah I know ... allegedly in TX and all that. I'm thinking condense/compress based on same publish group EA uses.

N/M ... must be the beer I'm drinking.

Z

Zander Mel'trin

I vote nay, why would I want to have to deal with other shards sales looking for sales on my own shard???

G

<blockquote><hr>

I vote nay, why would I want to have to deal with other shards sales looking for sales on my own shard???

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to consider that there may be a possibility of each super forum being further broken down into sub forums, or having a filter installed.

So for instance you might have a forum such as this.

West Coast Trade Forum:
Select your Shard:
A: Pacific
B: Napa Valley
and so on...

G

I'm a bit partial since I implemented the whole trade forum thing as the admin at the time, but even though some may not be used as much... I still think they should remain separate. If Stratics no longer wishes the trade forums then disband them and give the trade posts back to their original shard forum.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IIRC, the Central "server farm" was split between East &amp; West cost farms some time ago (Lake Austin ending up in the West, and the other "lakes" going East).

LA's population took a dive as a result, as many of us were playing it in the Mississippi/Missouri/Ohio valleys because it gave a better ping time than the east coast shards, and suddenly we were having to connect across the Rockies (I still play on LA, but have to cope with 80-110 ms ping times to do so).

I really wish they'd pay some place in Chicago or St. Louis to host a server farm for UO, WO, and DAOC, and move UO's old "central" servers BACK to a central US location.

That said, One way to do a location-based grouping of trade shards would be to implement a version of the "tag" system used in "Ideas Den", with the shard names, and have it mandatory to pick from the dropdown to post the message. For example, a "West Coast Trade Forum" would have a dropdown that starts "---------" (making sure someone doesn't post wrong shard from sheer sloth), then below it would be entries for Baja, Sonoma, Lake Austin, Origin and "Cross-Shardable", for items a person is willing to cross-shard).

G

Hi,

I vote nay,simplay because the reason many people talk about.
The mess of trade shards together.
If you want to cut down the forums ,give the trades back to the main shard.

Most of the posts on trades forum is removed from main shards anyway.

Regards
The Scandinavian

G

I voted no because I don't want to have to filter through a bunch of sale threads for shards I don't even play. Even if they have to use "XXX Shard" in the title it's a silly waste of time.

G

No, this is not needed. On the trade forums that are not used much just allow the players to post on their Shard specific forums.

G

<blockquote><hr>

No, this is not needed. On the trade forums that are not used much just allow the players to post on their Shard specific forums.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually this is as it should be for all shards really.

G

That would be fine for Napa, would be a nice break from all the "I pwnzor joo" threads, which is about all we have now.