• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Trade deal "curious item" drop is ridiculously low.

Mama Faith

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know that I've ever posted to complain about anything in this game but after at least 40 hours of doing trade deals and getting 8 "curious items", it's pretty frustrating. I'm walking between trade deals and getting a decent number of spawns but the tightwad beasties aren't giving up anything special. Is this even being looked into because I know I'm not the only one who is disenchanted.

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Someone created a post here about changes that wouldn't get "pancaked" (I don't understand that fully, as I don't speak James-ese)

But here's my list

Get rid of timer on peerless/exodus keys

"fix" doom gauntlet

at least triple drop rate on "curious items"

Edit: Waits for stratics cheerleaders to post a picture of an "easy button" and call me a weenie. Again

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They are stingy! But when they get generous, it is ridiculously skewed... one boline, 1 scourge, 2 oddly modified gorgets, 3 STWAPs, 4 mysteriously rolled maps, ZERO of Tome/incense/Wand/Goblet/Stole... and ELEVEN Daemonic Amulets?

Mama Faith

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are stingy! But when they get generous, it is ridiculously skewed... one boline, 1 scourge, 2 oddly modified gorgets, 3 STWAPs, 4 mysteriously rolled maps, ZERO of Tome/incense/Wand/Goblet/Stole... and ELEVEN Daemonic Amulets?
WOW! How many trade deals have you run? That's a good amount of items.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The next part starts on the 23rd. I dont think we have many complete sets on LS.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mama Faith said:
WOW! How many trade deals have you run? That's a good amount of items.
Didn't keep track, but all by land or sea, no moongates. Character is Exporter level since yesterday. So might be around 50 quests? Usually 3 skirmishes with ambushers when I run, and up 6 if I meander to the destination.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just logged on LA to hear one of the no lifers say they have gotten 520 items. That's all I've got to say on that.
I think we can call :moo: poop.png on that.

Even with 2 items per run, that's ~260 runs. Average say 30 mins a run, that's still ~130 hours...or 8.125 days (if one sleeps 8 hours out of every day). So, either they are the most obsessed, saddest person on Earth, are a multiboxing cheat, or they're full of it.

Mama Faith

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think we can call :moo: View attachment 71023 on that.

Even with 2 items per run, that's ~260 runs. Average say 30 mins a run, that's still ~130 hours...or 8.125 days (if one sleeps 8 hours out of every day). So, either they are the most obsessed, saddest person on Earth, are a multiboxing cheat, or they're full of it.
Ok, the mathematical figuring on this made me laugh out loud. Very well thought out. Good one, Dot! :danceb:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i finally got out last night and gave this a whirl.
figured id invest an evening to doing it.

did around 40 ambushes and didnt get 1 item other then some odd colored armor.
nothing.

that was a little disheartening.
Just a little???

IMO it blows... and it's a steaming pile of manure...

and if I were to rate this event so far I'd give it a -4... First off it's the same thing we been doing for the last few years if you supported City Treasury which I have being a Governor felt the need to do 100's of trade deals over the years... secondly the stealing stuff and it not being returned, buggy beginning holding it up for 2 full days, excessively LOW drop rate with NO real reason for it at all excepting @Kyronix and his craptastic love of grinds, and the souped up burning, flaming gargoyles on steriods that can shoot fireballs from hell from 2 screens away..., as well as the fact it can't be done or gotten in FEL (that's right you heard right I'm not to happy it can't be done in fel)... the way that even if you are great and have maxed out your trade runs to the top level that doesn't have any effect on the abysmal drop rate, and the sadder fact that this is just the beginning of what is sure to be MORE grinding.... I just want to head/desk. Seriously IT'S THE FREAKING 20TH ANNIVERSARY @Kyronix! IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE OVERTHETOP FUN!!!!!! NOT DULLSVILLE....

Last edited:

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be honest the drop rate doesn't bother me... I got 15 drops so far... but 7 are amulets and 5 trapped souls... 1 boline, 1 tome, 1 folded stole... it will take a long time to get a full set if I keep getting this many amulets and trapped souls. At first I thought I could trade my extras for other ones I didn't have but I quickly found out everyone else seems to get a lot of amulets and souls too.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well, it is better than the current Dreadhorn drop rate.
That is not saying much though.
So far I got 4 drops, 3 being the same one (trapped soul). I did more than 50 trade quests.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To me the drop rate doesn't seem worse than other grind type events, but what I don't like is how lopsided my drops are. So far I have:

1 Dried Incense
1 Goblet
2 Pentagram Wands
2 Bolines
6 Gorgets
14 Phylacteries
15 Necklaces

and nothing else...

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've been traveling the last couple weeks, reading comments on the new trade quests. So, now I'm back and against my better judgment I decided to see what it was all about this evening. And I find out once again mystics are ****. Twice I couldn't get out of Britain town limits before being attacked, and both times - of course - I couldn't cast in town limits. And of course at legendary level, the spawn is not going down with rock throwing before the time expires and I lost both chests. So, yes, I have sampires and tamers, but why this again?
FYI, in case you don't remember, Britain town limits extend far to the west all the way to the mountains

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The first few days got low drop rate, but since last Friday, the drop rate was turned up, I got 1 drop each run. That sounds reasonable to me. I got 6 drops right now. I did 2 runs a day.

By the way, I dont use moongate and have 2500 luck on me.

Kincsem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
To me the drop rate doesn't seem worse than other grind type events, but what I don't like is how lopsided my drops are. So far I have:

1 Dried Incense
1 Goblet
2 Pentagram Wands
2 Bolines
6 Gorgets
14 Phylacteries
15 Necklaces

and nothing else...
100% agree that. I have...

1 Dried Incense
1 Goblet
1 Folded Stole
1 A Mysterious Rolled Map
3 Gorgets
8 Phylacteries
10 Necklaces

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, the person Garth was citing was GAMING THE SYSTEM. Instead of DELIVERING the order in Tram, or taking it to one of the Fel locations for the alternate, they go straight to Ter Mur (without filing the order) and screw around, getting many ambushes over and over.

I wonder if that's going to be allowed to continue.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So far I have 7 amulets, 5 phylacteries, 2 incense, 2 goblets, 1 scourge, 1 wand, 1 gorget, and 1 tome, divided between two shards. Rough guess on time spent so far since this started is about 12 hours.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Actually, the person Garth was citing was GAMING THE SYSTEM. Instead of DELIVERING the order in Tram, or taking it to one of the Fel locations for the alternate, they go straight to Ter Mur (without filing the order) and screw around, getting many ambushes over and over.

I wonder if that's going to be allowed to continue.
Spent about an hour in Ter Mur with both an unfilled order and an unfilled order.. did not see any more ambushers than I do in Tram nor did I see any increased drops. In fact I did not receive any drops in the hour I was there.

Also, heard about amushers spawning in Ilsh.. have spent 45 minutes there and have not gotten a single ambusher spawn..

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I don't mind the drop rate, though I agree it's seriously low. What I DO mind is the spawn rate for ambushers. I'm lucky to get ambushed once every 20 or 30 minutes... and I have a job and a child - ie, a life; I don't have time to walk around for hours just waiting for a 40 second fight with a slim chance at a drop. The spawn rate needs to seriously be bumped up.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
NO other game I've EVER played has such ridiculously low drop rates...

NONE.

Well ya know, except every single MMO.

Personally, I have quite a few bosses in WoW I kill each week to try to get the .5%-1% drop rate mounts.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well ya know, except every single MMO.

Personally, I have quite a few bosses in WoW I kill each week to try to get the .5%-1% drop rate mounts.
That's an uber rare mount you do get other drops.... these things shouldn't be uber rare... this is the 20th anniversary quest-line and events... supposed to be FUN and entertaining... grinding for hours and coming up emptyhanded over and over is NOT fun...

Now Moonstone Jewelry that's UBER Rare... but this crap ought not be.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I kind of disagree with the OP on drop rate - while it is a bit sluggish it isnt like you have to spend hours just to get a single item. I put a total of 2 hours into this yesterday and got 5-6 drops. Seems reasonable i guess....

My issue is this: why am i wandering around, grinding for things that i have no idea what they will be used for?? These arent rares, but more importantly they dont seem to have any immediate purpose. Of course they will have some use at some point in the arc but without any clear use yet i dont see why i need to mindlessly wander around waiting to get attacked for long periods of time.

This is the type of grind that gets old really fast and so i would think an upfront purpose would help motivate.

Mr Bug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They should just make things like this a lot like the normal trader quest rewards for the books. Each character is eligible for 1 set of books from all the trade towns so you never get a duplicate book. Once you complete the set of books on one char you never receive another book, thus making it a lot easier to complete a set such as these 11 items. Who wants to get 6 amulets and no wand, I guess it encourages trading with other players but for others that is just downright frustrating. I would rather get 1 individual item until I had a full set and just be done with it.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My issue is this: why am i wandering around, grinding for things that i have no idea what they will be used for?? These arent rares, but more importantly they dont seem to have any immediate purpose. Of course they will have some use at some point in the arc but without any clear use yet i dont see why i need to mindlessly wander around waiting to get attacked for long periods of time.This is the type of grind that gets old really fast and so i would think an upfront purpose would help motivate.
The game doesn't tell us to go get these items and as far as we can tell they are just pieces of lore we can loot. The players are the ones deciding to go grind them + collect every single piece.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They should just make things like this a lot like the normal trader quest rewards for the books. Each character is eligible for 1 set of books from all the trade towns so you never get a duplicate book. Once you complete the set of books on one char you never receive another book, thus making it a lot easier to complete a set such as these 11 items. Who wants to get 6 amulets and no wand, I guess it encourages trading with other players but for others that is just downright frustrating. I would rather get 1 individual item until I had a full set and just be done with it.
I must have been listened yesterday in ally chat/Drachenfels ;) - exact my thoughts i spoke out loud. This good way of collection even comes from the Dev's own heads and hands and maybe should be used to every event where you have to collect a number of different items.
Btw.... 10 amuletts now.... *sighs* - where's the next exchange-office? :mad:

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
@Promathia, try trying to collect ANY pieces.

@Kyronix, something is definitely broken. I was seeing ambushes only maybe every 20-30 min yesterday. Tonight, I had 1 ambush, then spent the past 2 hours slowly walking trade orders from Britain to Trinsic, then Trinsic to Britain, then Vesper to Trinsic... and ZERO ambushes. For the Brit to Trinsic one, a friend was about 3 min ahead of me doing the same trip, and she had 7 ambushes in the same time I had zero. It's hard to take part in the event when this week's "new thing" never actually triggers.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On Chesapeake during the course of the day, over 50 Wagons and absolutely no drops what so ever. Talk about bad RNG today!

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
They've made it clear in the last few publishes this game is for people ON THE FAR END OF THE SPECTRUM, I thought my personal life was screwed up enough to get all these drops this weekend, Well, I've grinded this garbage more seriously than any crap job I've ever had and don't have all the garbage they made to show for it. What a waste of time I could have been doing all the other garbage I autisticly, repetitively do like an idiot. Thank God my GF is also autistically obsessive with this GRINDY joke of a 20th Annie celebration or I'd be single right now.

Mama Faith

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I kind of disagree with the OP on drop rate - while it is a bit sluggish it isnt like you have to spend hours just to get a single item. I put a total of 2 hours into this yesterday and got 5-6 drops. Seems reasonable i guess....

My issue is this: why am i wandering around, grinding for things that i have no idea what they will be used for?? These arent rares, but more importantly they dont seem to have any immediate purpose. Of course they will have some use at some point in the arc but without any clear use yet i dont see why i need to mindlessly wander around waiting to get attacked for long periods of time.

This is the type of grind that gets old really fast and so i would think an upfront purpose would help motivate.
This is the very reason for my post. It sounds like you're getting a good amount of drops whereas I've gotten 8 in the numerous hours I spent since it started. I'm not understanding the huge difference and is it all controlled by the RNG (most likely). I'm glad some are getting drops (I don't begrudge them that) but as BrianFreud stated, my time is limited and will be worse as of next week when I travel to an area without internet for 2-3 weeks. I WILLINGLY gave up my weekend to join in on this story line but now I'm seriously questioning if it's time to hang it up.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
OK, switched to tamer, my brief report - 10 ambushes between britain and yew and trinsic, one about every 10 minutes - got 1 folded stole in about 2 hours

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I WILLINGLY gave up my weekend to join in on this story line but now I'm seriously questioning if it's time to hang it up.
But you DID join in on the storyline. Collecting all the items isn't part of the storyline. You found out that 1. Trade routes are being ambushed and 2. The people doing the ambushes are carrying some weird ritual stuff. That's it, that's the storyline right now. Its just the precursor to the meat of the storyline to come. Part 2 is supposed to come out on the 23rd.

*** This reminds of the prepatch to the Legion expansion in WoW. The cities had Doomsayers which showed up, they handed out pamphlets. There was an achievement to getting all the pamphlets, but it was completely random + you could only get one like every 20 minutes. There were also mobs which spawned randomly in the city, with a lengthy respawn timer, which had a chance to drop a toy. It was grindy as hell, and some people who grinded it out Im sure made gold selling those toys later. But that was as much the "Storyline" as this is. Its just a forshadowing of future stuff to come.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Slow slow walk from Britain to the beach and then a quick float across the water to Jhelom. Took 42 minutes. Was ambushed 12 times and only had a drop on the first one. Here were the times:

10:13 Leave Britain
10:15 3 ambushers and get a phylactery (7th one so far)
10:17 4 ambushers
10:22 5 ambushers
10:25 5 ambushers
10:29 4 ambushers
10:34 4 ambushers
10:38 3 ambushers
10:40 3 ambushers
10:42 4 ambushers
10:45 5 ambushers
10:48 3 ambushers
10:51 5 ambushers
10:55 Arrive in Jhelom

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But you DID join in on the storyline. Collecting all the items isn't part of the storyline. You found out that 1. Trade routes are being ambushed and 2. The people doing the ambushes are carrying some weird ritual stuff. That's it, that's the storyline right now. Its just the precursor to the meat of the storyline to come. Part 2 is supposed to come out on the 23rd.
Unfortunately, many of us have not read anything from Broadsword that has told us that collecting the items isn't important for purposes of participating in the next parts of the storyline. What reason do we have to believe the people who tell us that? If you are part of some super-secret focus group or an EM, aren't you breaking the terms of the NDA to tell us that outside of the role of an EM?

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unfortunately, many of us have not read anything from Broadsword that has told us that collecting the items isn't important for purposes of participating in the next parts of the storyline. What reason do we have to believe the people who tell us that? If you are part of some super-secret focus group or an EM, aren't you breaking the terms of the NDA to tell us that outside of the role of an EM?
Or, you could take off your tinfoil hat. What HAS told us they will be needed?

If they DO become needed, Ill gladly come back and own up to being wrong. But the game has gave zero indication that these items are anything more than lore tidbits.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
This is the very reason for my post. It sounds like you're getting a good amount of drops whereas I've gotten 8 in the numerous hours I spent since it started. I'm not understanding the huge difference and is it all controlled by the RNG (most likely). I'm glad some are getting drops (I don't begrudge them that) but as BrianFreud stated, my time is limited and will be worse as of next week when I travel to an area without internet for 2-3 weeks. I WILLINGLY gave up my weekend to join in on this story line but now I'm seriously questioning if it's time to hang it up.
Frankly either way its just not that enjoyable a grind and im already done so dont feel bad. You arent missing much.

Couple the apparent rng issues with the bugs and lack of engagment and you have yourself a classic boring UO quest for things. Things... like a whip someone apparently uses on themselves and a choker.. wtf

Hopefully the arc gets better

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or, you could take off your tinfoil hat. What HAS told us they will be needed?

If they DO become needed, Ill gladly come back and own up to being wrong. But the game has gave zero indication that these items are anything more than lore tidbits.
The official information for the event says we can work on Parts 1 through 4 until Part 5 becomes available. If Part 1 was so unimportant, then why is it being left open longer than any of the other parts?

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The official information for the event says we can work on Parts 1 through 4 until Part 5 becomes available. If Part 1 was so unimportant, then why is it being left open longer than any of the other parts?
For people to experience it from the start? So people still have time to collect all the lore items to own without grinding it and becoming grumpy on Stratics? Because having a piece of content only active for a week is kind of lame? Because the items are needed for the next parts?

We can debate "What Ifs" all we want. All I KNOW is that there is absolutely zero indication that we NEED these items. Either way, Ill be collecting a full set + extras just incase.

How crap would it be if at the end of the Arc it was just suddenly "Btw you need the full set of these items to move on". I choose to have a bit more faith in the Dev team than that.

And if we DO end up needing them...well Ill have plenty to sell to people, but I really really doubt it.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*philosopher mod on*
That what happend now is nothing else than a long engraved behaving in our human DNA since the stoneages, when the club-wearing cavemen left their holes and starts hunting and collecting everything that might could help to survive life.... *philosopher mod off*

Til today we did the same if something or somewhat is new - hunting and collection things that might be helpful to bring us to a sensible result our brain could live with.
None of us know where all this will lead us to. Maybe to a new small landmasse, a new magic class or whatever else - some of us are to suppose something, but it's only supposing.
Me personally who has always been a collector wish to have a few sets for my own small museum and to keep things against the misremembrance and for a further UO future, for some kind of deco and one that might be used for the game.

It's be e left to one's own devices who and what he/she does now ;)

Last edited:

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have found several times that I didn't see the... you spot something on the body..message. So I have always checked every body and have picked a couple that way. I look for the message too. Going back through my journal I can see it. I don't know if I am just missing it, or it isn't showing on screen or what. But check those bodies! I have used a stealthing mage, a plain chiv warrior, nothing else fancy and a tamer. most are from the warrior as I can seem to better survive the breath attacks. Just started on my tamer (which I suck, really suck majorly suck at playing) and got one tonight. No message on that one.

3 necklaces, 2 bottles, 2 whips (gave one away), 1 tome (first item received), 2 goblets. I didn't play all weekend, but did so heavily first two days. If I go hot and heavy, I hope to at least see at least one of the rest. Don't even have enough for trading on LS it seems. I see the next phase is ready already.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For me its no prob with getting ambushers most of the time. But the drop rate is very dissapointing. I spent lots of time on this, every day, and so far I got 4 necklaces 4 bottles and 1 of each of 4 others. Tried 2 mystics doing 5 liners and with or witout luck. everywhere. Result worse for each day.