• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Town Invasions... of old... from the small to the epic.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For one… I had a question pop in my head from another topic... being driven a bit off topic.

Before AOS, we had the 3 land invasions I can remember... and I remember them all too well because of having a very active mall in a tiny house. 2-3 of us would guard the area around a normally no-spawn mall as 1 would gate from WBB. In those days, it was the best way to advertise a mall. And thankfully, this day in UO was plagued by lag... having a Small Marble Shop loaded with vendors didnt lag people out... unlike full towers or castle malls. Still, with player guards? Invasion spawn was beaten down as inbound shoppers had nothing to worry about. AND then, WBB was a center of commerce... destroyed by city invasions later on. Clearly, these days... we easily had 100x more players then across the entire game. No dead shards.

It was the ants, the Juka, and the swamp rubbish. No clue what was first. Each showed new monsters in waves.

I've found myself making friends with people who quit as far back as pre-AOS... and post. They came back to a UO crawling with new content and loads of changes. The biggest one being the total redesign of Magincia. I'm sure everyone alive and well, at the time, remembers that one! It was amazing. Horrible... yet amazing. I have several plants, palms, shrooms... all over the Red & Purple Mini Mall. Many I collected myself. Some I paid big money for. Goodness knows the conversion in today's money. A coconut palm at the time? 20m. Today, it would be like spending 200m I'm sure. Its hard to describe the kind of action I witnessed. The massive monsters being attacked by 50 players, the flashing, the explosions, the raining down of bits and pieces of the town. When all was said and done... the ghosts that wondered the town seamed like they would never go away. Yes, it was a fine day the new town was found! Goodness knows how long it took. Unlike the old Black Castle and the old Gargoyle City that still remain a big fat mess to this day. I'm sure they will never be recovered.

I was wondering to myself if anyone saved any pictures of the destruction of Magincia. I'm sure some have them, someplace. Anyone?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Destruction of Magincia was a magnificent event. We were told we would have a hand in rebuilding it. No one knew, at the time, it was to be rebuilt into a trailer park, instead returned to its former beauty and glory. What a joke it is now...

First invasions I remember were the lizard men invading W Brit, coming up from the bridge to Trinsic. Our guild used to RP some and had set patrols, making the rounds from the Warriors guild down to the bridge, back up by the beach, and so forth. Lotsa fun.

And then there was Trinsic and Jou'nar. Lotsa fun, lotsa death, but Trinsic was allowed to stay a town.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And I remember they all lasted longer than a single hour. Good times, just won't come back.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Destruction of magencia i would soooo much like to see events like this again. My guild did it in feluca, omg was so much fun fighting the spawn, and the enemy guilds who showed up.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Town invasions are good......but nothing can top getting a whole town "deleted" from the world.
Remember Haven......wonderful game breaking exploit they couldn't fix so they deleted the whole town one weekend.....I may have had a hand in that ;)

upload_2019-4-11_18-48-59.png
Always lurking.....always watching...…..

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah we don't want anymore town destroyed, because the design on rebuilt always sux.

Mag and Haven both prove this point.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll agree, Magincia was rather pointless... but it was clearly about adding house space. Not that it became another Luna... and I think thats what the sfaff was hoping for. In MANY shards, its just as abandoned looking as anyplace else.

Oddly enough? I dont really remember old Haven very well. I like the current design more then I do the old one... but they need to make begging a bannable offence. :) Thats why I just dont hag out in that area. A few times, I tried helping "new" players to make their own living... and ended up cussed out for not just giving them a few million because they asked nice for it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One of my earliest UO memories in Jukka invading my precious Yew... and that horrible nasty spell gone wrong turning my lovely city into an ugly swamp... I spent years RPing ways to try to rectify the curse and plague brought on by those meddlesome Meer...

I also remember how plague beasts would fire that nasty spell that 1 shot killed me and it would even travel to you if you went through a moongate... I recall standing at Britain Bank minding my own business and POW... dead... from a blast from one of those things cast on me before I left home...

Oh and I recall Liches could fire inside my house... this is where I learned to hide before logging... this way when I logged in I was safe from total death ... as there was often a Lich Lord outside my house.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Town invasions are good......but nothing can top getting a whole town "deleted" from the world.
Remember Haven......wonderful game breaking exploit they couldn't fix so they deleted the whole town one weekend.....I may have had a hand in that ;)

View attachment 96675
Always lurking.....always watching...…..
So may I - I attended a Town Hall at Gen Con, and showed the guys at the EA demo booth when I did a BOD run using the booth's computers just how bad some of the problems were with rubber-banding and ghost images were at Haven on LA, and it was even worse than they's seen on other shards.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would love to see a Solen war event, You ally with the solen hive and help defend against other solen swarms, All diff colour solen armies in waves. armour etc, massive event barricading the queens. great rewards. solen need a bit of action I think

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont know why they dont do more of these kinds of invasions... It doesnt seem like it would be that hard.
1. Pick a town to fight in
2. Have spawn generated there
3. Have the spawn drop little trinkets for people to collect for fun... for me some of the funnest times was collecting stupid things like colored invasion armor or cloaks.

Maybe im over simplifying it but i dont really think so... we dont even need a big thought out story. It can be very simple... The bad guys are trying to destroy the town because thats what bad guys do.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Destruction of Magincia was a magnificent event. We were told we would have a hand in rebuilding it. No one knew, at the time, it was to be rebuilt into a trailer park,
Anyone knows where one can find images and/or maps of Magincia before its destruction?

TIA!:)
SR

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am a bit surprised we cant find anyone with pictures. Before the event? Even a map would do... but I remember it was quite deadsville.

Most of the time during the great monster attacks in Magincia... I was enjoying my stealth skill to the best of my ability. I'd heal friends and keep hidden to avoid the major blasts. As I said, each blast would send debris everyplace. 97-99% was total rubbish. "dust" "rubbish" (all named "rubble", but could tell... and most was burned. It was so easy to pick the little useless things and so much went in the bin when the clean up system came around. However, the true treasures were the plants... and more, the trees. Some people were after walls. Some... even more rare... tent parts. It was most wise to hang around the blown out building AFTER the battle because sometimes things would just suddenly appear. And having a quick stealthier was extremely good. I managed 3 of my 4 palm trees that way. Many-many plants, shrooms... rocks, logs, bench. There was some trading going on to complete a log for example. Anything burned or blackened was just worthless to me... so in to the trade bin... what became clean up bin.

The funny thing? I still have a box FULL of these things. You can see many at the Red & Purple Mini Mall's roof top garden if you look carefully. Reminds me of a LOTS of dealings... LOTS of trades.

Also makes me wonder why we havnt had new plants in very long time. :rolleyes: hehe

All and all... I would still rather have invasions out in the wilds... where the towns aren't molested and people actually have to work a little. Maybe in camps that can be blown up. hehe

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I am a bit surprised we cant find anyone with pictures. Before the event? Even a map would do... but I remember it was quite deadsville.

Most of the time during the great monster attacks in Magincia... I was enjoying my stealth skill to the best of my ability. I'd heal friends and keep hidden to avoid the major blasts. As I said, each blast would send debris everyplace. 97-99% was total rubbish. "dust" "rubbish" (all named "rubble", but could tell... and most was burned. It was so easy to pick the little useless things and so much went in the bin when the clean up system came around. However, the true treasures were the plants... and more, the trees. Some people were after walls. Some... even more rare... tent parts. It was most wise to hang around the blown out building AFTER the battle because sometimes things would just suddenly appear. And having a quick stealthier was extremely good. I managed 3 of my 4 palm trees that way. Many-many plants, shrooms... rocks, logs, bench. There was some trading going on to complete a log for example. Anything burned or blackened was just worthless to me... so in to the trade bin... what became clean up bin.

The funny thing? I still have a box FULL of these things. You can see many at the Red & Purple Mini Mall's roof top garden if you look carefully. Reminds me of a LOTS of dealings... LOTS of trades.

Also makes me wonder why we havnt had new plants in very long time. :rolleyes: hehe

All and all... I would still rather have invasions out in the wilds... where the towns aren't molested and people actually have to work a little. Maybe in camps that can be blown up. hehe
I found this nice little Wiki: Magincia