• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tower roof pond

sligachan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all, I have been playing around making a pond for my tower roof.

I remember a while back someone on the forum suggested the possibility of using val tables to represent water (i think it was either Sarsmi or Skylark, although someone else may have thought it up... if it was you holler up and claim ownership!)

Anyway I think it works well. In the process I managed to get my statue to slip on its base which gives the appearance of it slowly sinking into the pond (this was purely accidental, but i like it, however I am petrified of moving it now because I may not be able to replicate it lol).

However I will have to bite the bullet soon as I intend to build a bigger pond with the dragon volcano forming an island in the middle. This may be a while in the making as RL issues mean I wont have much time in the next few weeks, so here is a picture in the meantime.

p.s I didnt chop the tables, i just raised the ore to cover the edges.

W

Wilde1

wow, looks great! Thanks for posting it (..bookmarks for later idea theft.. hehe)

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That came out really well! And don't forget the steam when the hot lava meets the cold water. =)

F

Flora Green

That looks great! One of the best ponds I've ever seen. :)

F

Flora Green

That came out really well! And don't forget the steam when the hot lava meets the cold water. =)
If anyone can figure out how to do steam or fog, I will be in deco debt to you for a long time.:thumbup1:

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd suggest cotton, wool, or spider's silk. :D

The pond looks -great-. Good job and good luck with the next stage of deco!

sligachan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi thanks for all the comments, and trust Sarsmi to throw in a challenge !!!

Thinking about stage 2 I can see that I am going to have a number of problems to solve.

1. I have not been chopping the valorite table, so the dragon island is not going to rise high enough to look like a volcano anymore, unless I go for chopping the tables (i would need to chop about 40 at 10k each....ouch (plus mistakes lol)

2. I would need to blend in the edges of the island, and i agree steam would be perfect (but i dont know how to do steam... argh)

Solutions (in the making/thinking)

1. Transform the volcano into sunken form (it was sooo powerful it blew its top right off and now we are left with only the fiery crater ((no inuendo here please :lol:)) This would alow me to continue using the unchopped val tables .. i think.

2. Cant do steam, however, I think that the remains of travesty would work well as a transforming edge to the crater. When they are placed they take on a translucent property, which adds to the blend look (thats the theory anyway). The downside here is that they cost about 100k a pop, so not a cheap solution.

The more i think about it the more i want to get on with it lol, but i have an essay to finish here soooooo its gonna have to wait. Any further ideas, prompts, challenges will be grudgingly/gratefully received, depending on how well the essay is going lol.

N

Ni-

Hi thanks for all the comments, and trust Sarsmi to throw in a challenge !!!

Thinking about stage 2 I can see that I am going to have a number of problems to solve.

1. I have not been chopping the valorite table, so the dragon island is not going to rise high enough to look like a volcano anymore, unless I go for chopping the tables (i would need to chop about 40 at 10k each....ouch (plus mistakes lol)

2. I would need to blend in the edges of the island, and i agree steam would be perfect (but i dont know how to do steam... argh)

Solutions (in the making/thinking)

1. Transform the volcano into sunken form (it was sooo powerful it blew its top right off and now we are left with only the fiery crater ((no inuendo here please :lol:)) This would alow me to continue using the unchopped val tables .. i think.

2. Cant do steam, however, I think that the remains of travesty would work well as a transforming edge to the crater. When they are placed they take on a translucent property, which adds to the blend look (thats the theory anyway). The downside here is that they cost about 100k a pop, so not a cheap solution.

The more i think about it the more i want to get on with it lol, but i have an essay to finish here soooooo its gonna have to wait. Any further ideas, prompts, challenges will be grudgingly/gratefully received, depending on how well the essay is going lol.
I think the dragon can still look like a raised volcano. When you place the tables don't go right up next to the island, leave a tile that can be covered up with some Valorite or or some island rocks. That could help give the illusion of the island being higher than the tables/pond. You could also try placing an obsidian rock or 2 on the table tile location, raise up with a goza, to break up the tables edges. That could make the rock seems like it is jutting out of the water and add to the illusion of the volcano.

I think you've been doing a good job hiding the tables legs with the ore and stuff.

I like the idea with the tragic remains. If you have any of those effusion statues and a statue dye tub, you could dye them to look like 'steam clouds'. They run about the same price as the remains, however.

sligachan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good ideas there Ni, thanks!

I think I may try both designs as both have their own merits. I will post a picture of each when complete and see what you all think.

'I may be a while' rolleyes:

Now if I could just get this cat off my keyboard........