• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tower of Rares Handed to Player by EA

• Thread starter AmanitaMuscaria
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AmanitaMuscaria

The other day I was reading the UO Atlantic Forums (the ones run by Link from HOT) and I came across a post from Limlight from LNR that basically asked why the towers of rare items on the Ice Island suddenly changed from IDOC status to "Owned by Link." Link then responded by saying that he "...convinced EA to not let the houses decay, as they were part of Atlantic history."

I had the pleasure of speaking with Lim in-game tonight and he mentioned that he had been checking the locations for some time and couldn't understand why the IDOC status suddenly refreshed and Link was the owner.

Based on the response Link provided in that thread on his boards, it looks as though he somehow petitioned EA regarding the items and was, apparently, given ownership of the items and towers.

I find this to be very disconcerting on many levels:
1) If it's an IDOC, then it should be up for grabs
2) Players should not be able to ASK the company for items or houses or land that they "feel" they should own. (Well, they can 'ask', but they shouldn't be granted the request.)
3) Why would EA, if indeed they actually did, hand these locations over to Link?
4) Can we trust this individual to care for these items and pieces of Shard "history"?

I'm not sure if people actually realize what seems to have occurred here... On the surface level, this seems to be a very shady situation, indeed: EA giving a PLAYER of no special importance a house full or Rare items, estimated to be 1-billion+ in worth.

Hopefully, we will be given some clarification on this matter from the individuals involved. I'll be posting this question to EA as well, though I'm sure we won't get much clarification through those channels -- but we will put in a request, regardless. If the implications of this matter bother you as well, I encourage you all to contact a GM in game or EA directly. A petition will be forming shortly.

LadyKeroOfAtl

UO Homes & Castles News Reporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know why you seem obsessed enough with this to post in his thread, and then make your own..
But it was my understanding that the rares were long gone.

Goodluck getting an answer from EA or a GM. I doubt you'll get it.

A

AmanitaMuscaria

If you go to the location, there are four (4), server birth 2-story statues on the roof... I hardly think they are "long gone."

I'm making this post so that we can figure out what happened. A lot of people are not happy that the IDOC was suddenly transfered to someone else, apparently by EA.

We want answers. And this thread will hopefully yield some.

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Frankly I am very glad to hear those very important towers of Atlantic history were saved from IDOC status. It would have been a very sad day had they fallen. Wintermoor was once the largest RP player run city on Atlantic. In it's best days, it was something very cool to see and visit. Xanthar and Xanthy and the members of OSD worked very very hard to accomplish what stood there and it deserves a better fate than it faced.

I don't care how it happened or what was in them. I am glad it is JC aka Link that is holding them because he is and was close to the original owners and will care for the restoration or at least salvation of the towers.

As a former Guildmaster of The Order of the Silver Dragon which was the guild that resided in Wintermoor under Xanthar's care, I wholeheartedly endorse this. For all you know they were transferred at the last minute. Instead of complaining about it, you should be happy if you value Atlantic History in any way, shape or form.

JC, if you need any help, I and GRL are there for you.

Andrasta
Goodman's Rune Library

A

AmanitaMuscaria

I'm glad that you feel they are in good hands. There are a lot of us who feel otherwise...

Why are these locations now locked to the public? How long until the 2-story statues show up at the HOT GH or are sold (fenced) through Soc?

Halister Marner

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm glad that you feel they are in good hands. There are a lot of us who feel otherwise...

Why are these locations now locked to the public? How long until the 2-story statues show up at the HOT GH or are sold (fenced) through Soc?
As far as I know, the statues are static and need to be moved by a GM, which is a fairly futile effort in itself.

I don't think many people have an issue with it, if your just looking to attack JC by attempting to destroy a piece of Atlantic history, it's not the right avenue for any issues you may have with him.

A

AmanitaMuscaria

My intention isn't to attack JC (Link), I just want to know how this could have occurred. I just wanted to make the community aware of what transpired here, as it seems rather suspect.

A

AmanitaMuscaria

Then please "untwist" my mind, Link, and clarify for us all how you came to acquire these locations. You are continuing to side-step the question, friend.

I ask again, how did you get these locations?

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol. Looks like the ware and tear your knees are taking are paying off Link.

A

AmanitaMuscaria

Were they given to you by a player or EA? Were they just "given" to you or did you approach the company about them?

Kelline

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree that uo history should be preserved, but i understand where amanita is coming from

if the houses where given to link by the original house owner great, but if the idoc was stopped & EA stepped in to hand over the house, then i feel that they have over stepped the boundries that define right & wrong.

an idoc is an idoc & shouldnt be stopped by anyone & should fall, UNLESS the account owner logs in & he/she themselves hand the house over.

from what ive read, thats amanitas beef too, not that link owns em, but how it is said that he got them.

A

AmanitaMuscaria

Thanks for your observant post, Kelline. You read me "loud and clear." I don't care that LINK owns them, really -- I'd feel the same way if anyone owned them from such "murky" circumstances.

I just feel like this is scandalous in its nature and in its very essence. It seems to stink to the core -- not LINK in particular, but the SITUATION in general. Could this be the "Watergate" of UO?

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't know you were selling a bunch of rares for me Soc. Where is my gold? There must be at least a couple billion coming my way from all those sales!

A

AmanitaMuscaria

You've still failed to answer the questions asked of you, Link. But that's fine. Your silence speaks one-thousand words.

I'm just glad that I was able to bring this event to light, so that the community at large can document this precedent -- EA giving an IDOC to a player.

Take good care of your billion-dollar (or gold as it were) tower, Link. We all know you worked very hard for it.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only precedent set here is by you for ignorance and spite.

About 1 year ago the person in charge of the Wintermoor Museums and Collection made a grave error in judgment and associated with a bad person. As soon as I learned of this I contacted Xanthar, the owner. As I was explaining to him the situation EA stepped in and seized the entire rare collection. They never gave a reason and refuse to return it. In light of the situation the care of the museum accounts were transferred to me. I refreshed the accounts a couple days ago by transferring the towers.

So you see, all your speculation and conspiracy theories are for not. For some reason you think there is a lot to be gained but there isn't. Your little group's rage and angst caused you to take a joke comment and run with it. I bet the emails you sent in complaining to EA are hilarious. Good job making a giant fool out of yourselves.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The care of the towers was given to you,

Question is by whom was it by OSI or the [revios owner if it was OSI then that is TOTALLY WRONG.

That is the point if it was by the original owner GtG.

Wasnt by the original owner but OSI whici proves your influence in the game is biased.

SAD SAD SAD.

A

AmanitaMuscaria

So, let me get this straight: EA, in your own words, "seized" the towers (and accounts) from the individual(s) involved, held them for a period of time, and then gave them to you for "care-taking." Wow! You must really be a "Big Wig" down at the Cracker Factory, Link. I'm glad that the company sees fit to transfer items and locations, that they take control of, to you for "safe keeping."

So, when are you moving into Lord British's castle?

Desperado_SE

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm failing to see where he said EA seized the towers, just says that EA seized the rares collection while the towers remained in the possession of Xanthar.

A

AmanitaMuscaria

Yes, I could have misread that. I'm not really sure what he meant; his language is vague and mysterious, much like the situation itself. It seems like EA took control of either the items, towers, or account, held said item for a period of time, and then released it to be transfered to Link -- or had it transfered directly to Link, bypassing the owner completely. I don't know; I'm just speculating.

I just thought that a sudden change from IDOC to Link status warranted further investigation. It begged the question.

I'm not posting another word about it. I think enough has been said and I don't care to carry this on further. Link can answer fully or remain silent. I will respect him either way.

LadyKeroOfAtl

UO Homes & Castles News Reporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm glad the towers are safe.
But honestly, this looked like a personal vendetta against Link, and for you to throw Socs name randomly into this was really ridiculous.

It doesnt even appear that you really care that the towers were saved, you just care that this guy got something.

chad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If EA was attempting to save a part of Atlantics history, they should of just been refreshed and made to never decay. Not given to a player.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just thought that a sudden change from IDOC to Link status warranted further investigation. It begged the question.
You make it sound like you did some type of noble public service. All you did was make up a bunch of nonsense and now try to act like some type of hero. Anyone who has been around for a while and actually cares about the Wintermoor museums (IE: not you) would know what has happened over the past few years. Your guild has been harassing myself, our council and the rest of HOT guild since you were kicked out. Even going as far as to put books around using my name trying to get people to hand you rare items.

I'll be glad when your ADD kicks in and you switch to another MMO.

A

AmanitaMuscaria

Cry me a river, Link, honestly.

I've done nothing to "harass" you in this game or on these boards. You said YOURSELF that you "convinced EA" to give you those towers/items. You brought this one on yourself.

I had nothing to do with any "books," so you need to look elsewhere if your beef is with that.

You guys cry so much about things, yet you provoke just about everyone on shard.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You say all that yet here we are in the topic you created complaining about someone owning a couple of empty towers. Someone who for the past week has been actively trying to get them back into some type of working orders. Someone spending their own real life and UO gold to do nothing else but restore an important piece of Atlantic shard history.

You are an idiot.

A

AmanitaMuscaria

Jesus, name calling, Link, nice. Real mature.

I don't call four 2-story statues as being "empty." Stop hiding the truth. I visited the house Sunday night and counted four of those statutes on the roof of one of them -- but the doors were locked to the outside, so I couldn't see it all.

Are you going to pick it dry for items and then reopen it? Why do you say it's empty when one can clearly see those rare and valuable items on the roof? (You have to stand on the steps of the tower to see the statutes on the roof.)

You try to say you did this out of the warmth of your heart, but I'm not sure if it wasn't motivated by greed or the need to be (feel) important.

I have no problems with you personally, Link. You're taking this all the wrong way -- I just don't like players swooping up IDOCs that people have been checking for months. In my opinion, that's stealing from the UO community, essentially.

Oh, and I'm sure those of us who know you would agree on this: If someone else would have acquired these towers/items under such "hazy" circumstances, you'd be ALL OVER THAT ONE! You'd be the first to bring it up to the community at large, friend.

And, for the record, I never contacted EA and I never will. I was just "stirring the pot" when I said that. But I am glad that I was able to voice my concerns to the ATL community and I'm glad they were made aware of the situation. They can make up their own minds. Let's just leave it at that, JC.

A

AmanitaMuscaria

Avoiding the question again, in an attempt to appear humble. Are there or are there not more than a few two-story (server birth) statues in the towers, JC? If so, why do you describe them as being "empty towers." I hardly doubt you would spend your own RL money or UO gold on simple EMPTY towers. I don't see how you can expect us to buy that one.

I know I said I'd leave it alone, but damn, man. I just don't get the "poor is me, I own these empty towers" thing you're going for... I don't think anyone is that much of a Saint.

But, seriously, how do four of those statutes = an empty house in your mind?

I'm trying to let this thing go, man, but then you make a post saying you have "empty towers" and they certainly were not "empty" from what I saw Sunday evening.

T

The Home Guild

If link has saved these towers from history being gone then more power to him..I ,like many others remember the old town and visit the towers with all it's rares and unique items. I used to own a large tower in vesper fel..had a small shack on roof needed 2 accts but was worth it..well DOM guildmaster bought from me and i thought he would preserve it for old history[Was the last home on atlantic that way] he decided to customize it and all was lost.I wish,i would have kept..so basically i understand how anyone would want to keep these towers around. imo.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are there or are there not more than a few two-story (server birth) statues in the towers, JC?
Yes there are four 2-story statues. There are also 2 magical doors, 2 water barrels, 4 healing statues and 2 braziers. They would probably be worth a lot if they were movable. But no, they are stuck to the ground and can not be picked up.

So once again you are just making a big deal out of nothing. The same way you overreact to everything.

A

AmanitaMuscaria

Thank you for being honest and admitting that the towers are not empty, but are full of rares.

Also, in the post on your own UO Atlantic forum, the one in which Lim had questioned you about the situation, you had said that EA offered to "bag up" the items for you, but that you said to keep them the way they were and that you would page them to have them removed, if needed. Do you remember writing that?

Here are your posts from your own boards:

1st: Re: SO... who all in ViP do you think got banned for duping?

Postby Link Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:03 pm

I didn't want them to decay so I convinced EA to give them to me rather than have Atlantic history lost.

2nd: Limlight wrote: "I will make sure to recall there every now and then just to make sure the Magic Doors and Two-Story Statues are still there then..."
Link writes: "They asked if I wanted them boxed up, but I said I'll just page when I want them moved."

Wow!! I just can't believe you post here that you simply acquired "empty" towers and then write that they are NOT empty but that it doesn't matter because they can't be moved... but you stated that they (EA!!) asked you if you wanted all those rares "boxed up."

Owned.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm flattered that you hang off my every word and amused you can't put together more than one concept at a time. The real thing that needs to be investigated is where your sense of humor went.

A

AmanitaMuscaria

What does my sense of humor have to do with anything? Was this all a joke that I missed... did EA not transfer these towers to you or are you just trying to make light of it, to offset the seriousness of the situation?

Are you saying that the comments you made about EA giving you the towers and offering to "bag up" the items were just jokes? If so, then I missed the humor in those statements -- I took them as the literal truth straight from the horse's mouth.

Anyway, thanks for being a good sport and entertaining the questions. I'm glad this is public record.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wait they did if the towers collapsed. That is the whole point of IDOC and collapsing.

Link you had no right to recieve the towers or any items in them PERIOD.

The point is you did get them, did oy pay EA for them? What make you the deserving owner. If these items were deemed to be preserved by EA for posterity then the towers should have been made permenant like the Serpeant cross tavern or other places that are very few and rare.

That is the whole point of this post.

YOU HAD NO RIGHT TO RECIEVE THEM WITHOUT OTHERS HAVING THE SAME CHANCE.

This is sadley and plainly WRONG but you got what you want so you dont care. I hope Jeremy recieves some of the emails being sent and seizes these back and any itmes of rare value that Have the premiss should be returned or deleted?.!

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you guys feel so strongly that something improper occurred you should start a topic on the U Hall where people will actually see it. I've responded countless times now and it doesn't seem to have helped clear up the situation.

T

Tazar

I have been watching this thread for a while now and have let it go farther than I should have.

Fact: This entire thread is nothing but a personal attack on a player (by name) and should not be here on the Stratics forums.

Fact: If the towers were "turned over" to a player by EA-Mythic, then that is the choice of the company. Per the terms of service, EA owns all of the little pixels in the game and not us. As such, EA has the right to do with them as they wish.

Fact: If the towers were "turned over" to a player, the player can not answer why EA made such a decision. That is a question for EA.

Fact: The chance of getting that answer from EA is probably smaller than any of us might imagine - unless someone goes ahead and puts it at ZERO!

Should anyone wish to repeat this thread in U-Hall to try to get an answer from EA, the thread will be removed! If however, a thread in U-Hall is started to ask EA for an answer - and that thread follows our ROC (no names!) then it will be left to await an answer from EA... although I suspect we will be waiting a very long time - so don't hold your breath or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.