• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Totem of Chromatic Fortune

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its in the store.

Who has used it what are the results.

Does it make the Phoenix a tiny sparrow again?

upload_2017-6-8_22-46-16.png

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apparently, you can spawn a Pink GD now.......
upload_2017-6-9_6-56-34.png

But, unless they spawn "new" rare colours then its pointless as those who want a "rare" coloured pet probably already have one by now.....defo not worth wasting real cash on something to give a "chance" to spawn a rare (probably not the rare colour you want though) coloured pet.

Also lets just think about the semantics of this totem.....if many people buy one, tame and sell on the pets......then they are NOT rare coloured pets anymore are they if everyone and their dog has one. :D

Last edited:

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kinda pointless when those in the Enhanced Client cannot even see the rare colors to begin with. Just sayin.
So true! Who knows, maybe the next store update will be "Kaleidoscope Glasses (30 charges)" that when equipped allow users of the "enhanced" client to see the true colors of all tamables in the game and as a special bonus it allows for a toggle to allow you to see your beloved phoenix in its unadulterated form. Uses 1 charge per real life day - only 300 Sovereigns....

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
They add something like this, makes ya think that all these critters are going to be a limited time...
maybe just for the 20th Anniversary???
I've already been getting some of these already
just have to level them, but really not wanting to in case I do mess up, picking the wrong things

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
They add something like this, makes ya think that all these critters are going to be a limited time...
maybe just for the 20th Anniversary???
They have already said some of the old critters will make a reappearance during the plot lines for the 20th. The hued critters are permanent.. but ya may want to keep a few stable slots open for the pets that will be hitting during that arc ;)

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You pay to play a game.
They set a spawn rate for a desired hue in the game low to artificially drive up demand and activity.
They then charge you MORE money to make the spawn rate they set in the first place higher.
You pay to get the hue'd animal and bypass playing the game you paid to play.

Well played Broadsword...

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Ehh, I know this is probably an unpopular opinion...but I've always hated the neon colors that have been plaguing this game since AOS. Rare colored this, rare colored that...meh! Much prefer the look of the original game. Most of the time the fancy colors take out all the details and shading on the original graphics. All the lame colored animals and EM rares belong on Stratic's UO Gets Stupid page unless they have been properly rendered and shaded. The only thing rare about those colors is an object that actually looks like it belongs in this game instead of in a toddler's coloring book.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They have already said some of the old critters will make a reappearance during the plot lines for the 20th.*
*Citation needed.

I seem to vaguely remember this as an off handed, unofficial remark...in direct opposition to Mesanna repeatedly saying no to bringing back Dreadmares, Bane Dragons, etc.

I could sort of see this working if BS plays the 20th arc as aftereffects of Eodon and says that time fractured or something...

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Three charges? Will it self-recharge, and at what rate?
...and is there a fiction backstory for this thing? (The roleplayers have left the building so I s'pose it doesn't matter any more.)

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Three charges? Will it self-recharge, and at what rate?
...and is there a fiction backstory for this thing? (The roleplayers have left the building so I s'pose it doesn't matter any more.)
Recharge? Not bloody likely... They want to separate the OCD crowd from 300 sov as often as possible.

As for fiction.. We've only received three pieces of official fiction this year (though two of those WERE for store items...), so I wouldn't count on it. Maybe in the June Newsletter? (Hint. Hint.) I'd think some EMs would be chomping at the bit for an opportunity to write a piece of global fiction. (FYI: 2016 only saw four pieces of fiction in total, while 2015 had six. :sad4:)

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OK, so here were my results:

First: it couldn't be placed in my preferred spot.
Second: while it says that the rare ones can only be tamed by you, they can still be killed by anyone
Third: after 60 minutes of killing them (roughly 110 kills based on the instrument uses) 3 rare hues spawned - 1 from the first, 2 from the second and 0 from the third.

Overall assessment: not worth the money. If the RNG is going to hate me anyway, I'm not spending real money on it.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Love Trumps Hate.... afterall.
Not to derail the thread... but...

derail.png

I really wish I was around for when they pulled that stunt. I would have loved to have been one of the ones causing an utter **** storm when they slipped that crap in. I would go back and try to dig through the boards to see how bad it got but imagine they have been scrubbed of all the good parts ;)

Back on topic lol..

Have not tried to kill any pets when a totem is placed.. surely they would have tested that.. right? ;)

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not to derail the thread... but...

View attachment 67875

I really wish I was around for when they pulled that stunt. I would have loved to have been one of the ones causing an utter **** storm when they slipped that crap in. I would go back and try to dig through the boards to see how bad it got but imagine they have been scrubbed of all the good parts ;)

Back on topic lol..

Have not tried to kill any pets when a totem is placed.. surely they would have tested that.. right? ;)
Hehehe, I wasn't watching much of those UOHall posts at the time, mainly the Rares Collector forums. I wouldn't be of much help... but it was shameful though to have came up in UO at all. Gen chat trolling is alright and fun, but not from a producer.... *sighs*. :p :p
OK, so here were my results:

First: it couldn't be placed in my preferred spot.
Second: while it says that the rare ones can only be tamed by you, they can still be killed by anyone
Third: after 60 minutes of killing them (roughly 110 kills based on the instrument uses) 3 rare hues spawned - 1 from the first, 2 from the second and 0 from the third.

Overall assessment: not worth the money. If the RNG is going to hate me anyway, I'm not spending real money on it.
On the bright side though... if they fix the killing monsters/creatures part... someone could successfully camp the nightmare spawns in Malas and Ish for forever theoretically until sales stopped or it became not profitable. *Complete Sarcasm here on a bright side.* *Sighs* That's all someone I know wanted was a 2 slot Void mare too..... At least they didn't allow this for the Cu Sidhe spawn though... which is likely why. Too many people would have cried fowl since there is only 1 spawn.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On the bright side though... if they fix the killing monsters/creatures part... someone could successfully camp the nightmare spawns in Malas and Ish for forever theoretically until sales stopped or it became not profitable. *Complete Sarcasm here on a bright side.* *Sighs* That's all someone I know wanted was a 2 slot Void mare too..... At least they didn't allow this for the Cu Sidhe spawn though... which is likely why. Too many people would have cried fowl since there is only 1 spawn.
Someone can still effectively keep anyone else from taming a rare hue simply by keeping a totem up. Wouldn't the smart move have been to make it so no one else could kill it so that if they tamed it they would leave?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hahaha!!!!!
So let me get this straight....you buy the Totem for real cash, for a slight chance on getting a "random" rare hued mob that only you or your group can tame......
....but anyone else can kill???????
:ten:
I suppose the Devs even have to cater to the Griefers at some point.....but this is a totally legal way the grief the f**k out of innocent players.....LOL:shots::shots::cheerleader:
Oh yeah, Devs sure are on top of their game at them moment....:facepalm:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's just another money-grab to meet UO's financial goals. Like "How can we milk even another premium out of this taming publish?".

Basically everyone I know nowadays spends only a fraction of what they used to spend on UO and some poor suckers have to make up those losses by buying pointless stuff from the store. Goes into the same category as the overpriced wedding package. Not exactly the stuff that makes you login all night long, but try telling that to Bonnie *shrugs*

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So let me get this straight....you buy the Totem for real cash, for a slight chance on getting a "random" rare hued mob that only you or your group can tame......
....but anyone else can kill???????
:ten:
Yep. We should all be glad there were better developers/producers on UO in the past and that we have plenty of activities besides that pointless stuff the current teams comes up with..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The over priced wedding package won't be bought by me until either the cakes are made into recipes that I can buy and own.... and same with the wedding dress and tux... because I prefer color... or they are uber cheap and I can buy enough to get one of each of the the flowers and such.. until then I'm not wasting all my precious house space on that crap.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes we are talking about Ilsh spawn. Your earlier post said it didnt work at that spawn but I can assure you it does.

Thanks, Ill have him try again. He said it wouldn't plant. He will be happy when it works. I hope it really increases the odds.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same i looked at it saw no cu sidhes or hiryus and just closed it again and also only 3 charges per totem for 20 minutes? like seriously
Yeah the 20 minute thing is a whole other joke in itself.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The biggest joke is that they set the spawn rate... You're paying more to change something they set initially.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The biggest joke is that they set the spawn rate... You're paying more to change something they set initially.
Of everything listed the only two really worth having is a crap 2 slot mare of a rare color and a top tier WW unless you can get a 3 slot WW to spawn which I have never managed and then I would want the crappiest WW possible. NOw if it made the odds of making color and epic or craptastic stats spawn they might be on to something..... But again the two most popular and useful pets are not on the list soooo worthless IMO anyway. Which I have found the spawn rates on their rare colors to not be that bad as it is. Sooo no I will not be paying for this one.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good thing we can pay real money for a higher chance at these monsters.

That will help when they skip levels, which hasn't been fixed yet.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I'm just curious if they spawn DIFFERENT hues then the ones we've seen thus far....that's what I was hoping.
Within the first week, every tamer had one of each of the new hued critters that are listed....even though I didn't KEEP the toads and snow leopards we all got one!

So...Kyronix..Bleak.....do they give a chance to spawn NEW hues or just the ones we already all have?

If it's the latter...then it's kind of a waste of money...wouldn't you think?

Maybe change it so they spawn DIFFERENT hues then the ones we've already seen.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I'm just curious if they spawn DIFFERENT hues then the ones we've seen thus far..

I bought one just to see what it was about.. placed it at the ww lair and used all three charges, did not see any hue that was different than the new normal.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My only thought maybe I would finally see a white drake. I am really not going to waste 300 sovs just to try for a white drake.

I would love to see it work for cus and hiyrus but as stated that be grieved all to hell.

It seems to me we are moving closer to F2P type setup.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You pay to play a game.
They set a spawn rate for a desired hue in the game low to artificially drive up demand and activity.
They then charge you MORE money to make the spawn rate they set in the first place higher.
You pay to get the hue'd animal and bypass playing the game you paid to play.

Well played Broadsword...
Well, the spawn rate of weird colors seems pretty high to me, so I really can't see many people buying this thing...yet. Odds are they will add in some uber rare blaze Cu level colors to some pets in the future.

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I, myself have received a 2 slot void mare, 3 slot Ice Blue WW, and a 4 slot Frost Dragon using the totems. Granted it takes about an hour (one full totem) but they do spawn.