• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

ToL: Stone craftables w/custom housing

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I'm wanting to experiment with some ideas for the new stone housing add-ons, but on a custom house. Since I have a limited amount of granite available to me I thought I'd ping and see if anyone has done much with them yet, in this context.

Some specific questions:
1. Can you walk or stand on the stone block?
2. Can items be placed and locked down on top of the stone block or stair pieces?
3. Which type of granite would you say comes closest to the shade of the Gargish Ruined Walls, when used without dyes?
4. If you place (and double-click) the stone craftables on a plot and then customize, are they staying in place or dropping into the moving crate?
5. Are things like banners and wall deco placing flat up against the stone walls, as they do with regular walls?

Thanks in advance...I'll be sure to post any photos and findings I have while I'm playing around with them!

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Gooodbye goza, helllloooooo granite! :)

Looks like you can indeed stand and walk on the rough blocks, which means a new way to create L-shaped stairs with a walk-able landing...yay!

My photos of first staircase below. This one was created with a combination of traditional custom housing tiles for the base and top of the stairway, but used a new rough block (raised with a deco tool) for the landing. Have also experimented with using the new craftable stair pieces and those work too, so depending upon your situation either will work.

BrynRhedyn_GraniteStairLanding1.png BrynRhedyn_GraniteStairLanding2.png

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
1. Can you walk or stand on the stone block?
2. Can items be placed and locked down on top of the stone block or stair pieces?
3. Which type of granite would you say comes closest to the shade of the Gargish Ruined Walls, when used without dyes?
4. If you place (and double-click) the stone craftables on a plot and then customize, are they staying in place or dropping into the moving crate?
5. Are things like banners and wall deco placing flat up against the stone walls, as they do with regular walls?
Learned so far:

1. Can both walk and stand on stone blocks; perfect for stair landings on L-shaped stairways.
  2. Items can be placed and locked down on top of stone blocks and stair pieces.
  3. Gargish Ruined Walls: so far it's a toss-up between copper granite and golden for color match-up, with no dye. Copper is probably a bit closer but either could work depending upon your preference and situation.
  4. Granite housing pieces are not dropping into the moving crate by default; they disappear while in Customizing mode so you can't see them at the time, but will drop back in place when you leave Customizing mode as long as you don't place a wall on top of them etc.

Also confirmed that the new custom add-on pieces can be stacked or raised and left in place when building stairs etc., to save granite.

(Next up, working on some match-ups between the granite stair pieces and different custom housing tiles, although I'm a little short on some of the granites so won't be able to get a complete picture just yet.)

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Some color match-ups for comparison to custom housing tiles. (Missing agapite, verite and valorite; once I have enough granite to make a stair block of each I'll add those.)

GraniteCraftables_ColorMatchups1.png

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
This really looks nice!!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:
Thanks! I know these were intended for classic housing, but I'm really glad they work on custom plots too. A lot of possibilities brewing to solve some of those little glitchy constraints I run into sometimes.

Oooooo.....just realized that the new short stairway pieces + rough stone blocks might mean the possibility of split-level housing. o_O

/me runs off to experiment....

Snowdrop

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
HELP!!!!
I have a sandstone vendor house Id lke to put a floor on over an area thats not covered. I started it and I can walk on it but only one way....off lol Im sure this is prob an easy fix BUT I just cant get it!!!!
Please help! :confused:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
HELP!!!!
I have a sandstone vendor house Id lke to put a floor on over an area thats not covered. I started it and I can walk on it but only one way....off lol Im sure this is prob an easy fix BUT I just cant get it!!!!
Post a pic, that will make it easier for us to help

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is what I've been working on. I love the stone blocks, although I wish they were just part of the customization menu. If you stack the blocks four high, the top ones will go into the moving crate. You can fix this just by lowering each block once. It doesn't run into the bottom of the upper level that way.

Stone.jpg

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I posted some time ago how I used the new stone to build on the 'steps' area in front of the plot. When customizing use the blocks in the custom menu wherever you don't actually want stairs onto the plot, then build with the stonecrafting on top of those.

To build a platform inside, stage for example, don't fill the portion between the steps with blocks, fill it with floor tiles raised only 4 times.

Something else I built on test was a copy of a vvv altar, though in the absence of vice tiles I used chaos tiles.

[anchor]s2s-dummy-link[/anchor]

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Post a pic, that will make it easier for us to help
I wish I could but thats beyond me too.
One question I guess I should ask is, do i need walls when adding a floor?
Forgive me but i havent had a home to play(build) with in over 10 yrs.

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Why do you advise not using the blocks for the "floor area," Petra? I successfully used blocks to build a platform at the top of stairs and wasn't having any issue with them that I noticed. Or did you mean when building under a roof rather than an open area?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, under a ceiling.Sorry, when I said 'inside' I should have been more specific. Blocks under a ceiling are too high, you can't walk on them because you don't have enough head room. Keeping floor tiles just one click below the stairs makes them able to be walked on and off.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something I thought of but can't test - test center seems to be missing.
On a small home it may be possible to use that ledge of blocks by the steps to create a stairway to the upper floor, meaning you wouldn't lose space from both floors within the building's footprint.
Normal steps and door into the lower floor at one end, block tower at the other to form a landing, steps between door and landing, door into upper level from the landing?

So - test center came up and I gave it a try

outsidestair.jpg

[anchor]s2s-dummy-link[/anchor]

Last edited:

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
On a small home it may be possible to use that ledge of blocks by the steps to create a stairway to the upper floor, meaning you wouldn't lose space from both floors within the building's footprint.
oh you clever girl...

my brain is exploding with the possibilities.

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can place stone items under the house sign if you place them on top of something else. I used a pedestal (I just happened to have one in my backpack).

Arch.jpg

Snowdrop

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
HELP!!!!
update:
I got the floor where I can walk all over it BUT i cant seem to finish the outer side of it (east side I believe). If I add pavers or anything along that strip, I can see them from inside and cant walk on it or place anything on it. I also fall off. What am I missing?
I need help finishing off my house please!!

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
update:
I got the floor where I can walk all over it BUT i cant seem to finish the outer side of it (east side I believe). If I add pavers or anything along that strip, I can see them from inside and cant walk on it or place anything on it. I also fall off. What am I missing?
Can you post a picture for better understanding?

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
update:
Snowdrop, if you're using Windows, here is a link to a post that explains how to take a screenshot: Screenshot Procedure (use steps 1-7.)

(If you're running a recent version of Windows you should be able to find the MS Paint program in "Start Menu > All Programs folder > Accessories folder > Paint")

Once you've saved the screenshot file(s) to your hard drive, on Stratics you can use the "Upload a File" button under your thread editor window to paste it into your post here so we can see the problem you're having.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
^^^^^ any ideas?
Can you walk on the tile in SE corner. If you fall off, it could be, you messed something up and they only look to be in right place but are started from wrong tile. If you raise them together, it east to mess them up. look where you end up, when you fall off, that's where the tile need to be started

Snowdrop

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can walk on it all except for the one paver on the SE arch wall piece. When I fall off its outside the house. I cant seem to get anything to go right on the open space along the E. side. This is where im at now....

update:

Last edited:

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One thing you should be aware of is an issue with locking down pavers and then raising them, instead of double clicking them. I created an entirely new floor and everything was the correct height but while walking around I would fall through. What was truly maddening is that graphically it looked like I was still on the same floor.

During the floor creation there were a couple tricky spots where I had to lock down the tiles on the floor below and raise them. Turns out when you do this the game doesn't update the Z axis - the game still thinks the tile is the height it was when it was locked down on the floor below so you fall through when you step on it. I verified this with the sextant and had no choice but to hover my mouse over every tile on the floor to find out which ones were locked down versus double clicked.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I think you did finish it, your floor is just to high to fit your new wall pieces and the one SE on the corner wall is raised from same tile as # 2 in your east row of floor tiles, but it is very hard to see, it can be tricky.

I tested it, I have no problems.
SE_corner.jpg

Snowdrop

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes the one paver on the SE arch/wall piece was started as the piece/row above it. I left it there to show i can see that row from inside or underneath that addon/floor.
hmmm so you think i should just lower it all and itll fall into place?