• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

To Poison or not to Poison...

HiThanks

Adventurer
Hey Guys,

What do you prefer on your Giant Beetles? I was thinking of going RC/Armor Peirce but I'm debating on adding Poisoning in.

I like the idea of poison status making most mobs go into defensive mode, but I also like the idea of spamming RC/AP a lot.

Thoughts?

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I made mine because I wanted a ridable pet with poison.

Fire beetle are 100% fire damge but many mobs vulnerable to fire are also poison immune or cure fast due to innate poisoning (undead or arachnd group), so the giant beetle was the best ridable option.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I leave off Poisoning. Adding Poison onto the Beetle will detract from it's use of RC and AP, which contribute far more damage than even Lethal Poison does. Against mobs with Magery/Mysticism, they just immediately cure themselves anyways, and against mobs without it, poison does such little damage it's not worth taking away from RC/AP use.
For example, when using my Wolf Spiders against a discoed General last night, Lethal Poison was only ticking for about 32 damage, and that's against a foe that's likely in negative Poison Resist due to Disco...

leloyon

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I solo'd the roof last night with my fire bug and it took almost 2 hours. Like Nero said, most things you fight will end up curing the poison so that it's less effective anyway and in all honesty, I feel like the roof would've gone a lot faster if my bug wasn't trying to constantly poison, which he does.

Even if whatever you're fighting stays poisoned, I don't notice huge damage output from the poison at gm poisoning. Although, it's still far better than a cu's bleed attack.

But if I'm being honest, the poison doesn't bother me so much as explosive goo does. In hindsight it's all just personal preference. My fire beetle still remains to be one of my favorite pets.

Last edited:

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Hey Guys,

What do you prefer on your Giant Beetles? I was thinking of going RC/Armor Peirce but I'm debating on adding Poisoning in.

I like the idea of poison status making most mobs go into defensive mode, but I also like the idea of spamming RC/AP a lot.

Thoughts?
I have that exact pet on my discord tamer.

Don't take poison, it has crap damage and pet will use poison instead of RC. I use mine for roof and other group events to increase everyone's damage. Also I can haul items/gold at the end. RC+Armor Pierce + Discord from my tamer = very good damage output from everyone.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The poison is actually useful for mobs that heal like crazy. It can force them to use mana to cure insteal of healing.

Also incase you get raided at a spawn, same thing. Just something to think about.

Nereus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Depends on the purpose of the pet and the accompanying player template. Poisoning, or any ability which "ticks" damage (cold wind, bleed, etc), is useful for making "sticky" pets, where bosses are encouraged to re-target back to the pet rather than the player. Especially useful for player templates without invisibility/hiding ability. For raw group damage output, poisoning is not necessary.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The poison is actually useful for mobs that heal like crazy. It can force them to use mana to cure insteal of healing.

Also incase you get raided at a spawn, same thing. Just something to think about.
You gotta weigh the fact that the pet will be dishing out more damage without Poisoning due to increased RC/AP use though, which may just outweigh the heals.
Most PvPers nowadays run scripts. The instant they get poisoned, they automatically chug a Greater Cure Pot. The rampant script use basically made Nox Mages extinct.

Depends on the purpose of the pet and the accompanying player template. Poisoning, or any ability which "ticks" damage (cold wind, bleed, etc), is useful for making "sticky" pets, where bosses are encouraged to re-target back to the pet rather than the player. Especially useful for player templates without invisibility/hiding ability. For raw group damage output, poisoning is not necessary.
That "stickiness" can also be a bad thing. It makes it more difficult to make the pet switch to a higher priority target, if it's already got Poison/Bleed/Cold Wind/Strangle/etc on something else.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Oh, yes i do agree. But chugging a pot, eating an apple, using a trap box, casting a spell all force the player or target to use an action.

Dont discount it because you can do more damage, just think about the utility. If with a group, i would bring a poison pet, if solo, not.

Amamos

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Doesn't the poison has a chance do be inflected every hit, so it wouldn't detract from using other ability?

Is it really a active skill used to buff a single hit, instead of a special move?

Enviado de meu Redmi Note 9 Pro usando o Tapatalk

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Doesn't the poison has a chance do be inflected every hit, so it wouldn't detract from using other ability?

Is it really a active skill used to buff a single hit, instead of a special move?

Enviado de meu Redmi Note 9 Pro usando o Tapatalk
Poison used to be a proc effect that could trigger on any melee attack, it didn't cost any mana either. That changed though with Pub 97, where they actually use the Infectious Strike ability now it seems. So now it detracts from the use of other abilities.

Ascalon

Adventurer
Disclaimer: I don't have a fully developed beetle that I use often and am happy with the template.

For my use case, my use of poisoning "Magical Ability" is on an Anniversary Horse. I use the 3 slot pet to cull nightmares for rare spawn ones, and on Siege to pull Fire Steeds from the Deceit brazier. For nightmare culling it's good because it causes the nightmare to focus on curing rather than casting. For Siege Deceit brazier, it's effective on clearing out the other stuff that spawns, I can still honor tame the Fire Steed, and if I get PK attempted, the extra type of attack (Poison/Bleed/AI pet template) adds pressure so I can get off a gate outside the dungeon if they run off screen to heal. It's a contained space so a 3 slot horse getting off Bleed, AI, and Poison plus melee attack adds pressure. If you had offensive capabilities or a mage weapon you might be able to seal the deal on hobbyist level solo pks. Siege pro level pks will usually kill you too fast (I ping 200+ at best), but they usually just harvest your gold and bag of sending if you have one. If they are a bit mental (happens with pk types) they will take other loot to grief, but your time to pull from the brazier is quick and if you kill off the spawn there isn't much to show your activity. Some pks actually like a good fight back and will shoot the breeze with you afterwards.

So... yeah, tldr. Very limited Use Cases for Poisoning as a Pet Magical Ability, in my experience.

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
@Ascalon I just like the part about where the pk will just shoot it up with ya when over. So my line of field I honestly not want anything then a good fight and your pet can be included obviously. There is nothing in game on you even if you didn't have insurance on that shard I would need so badly of course raids for scrolls im ther for them but typically im just out to find good fight. Kill if I can and res and say what's up! Glad to here there is more like me.

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
To op that was good point pet with psn can be a little more annoying but typically i usually kite it. So I'm not that worried from opposition standpoint just agree it adds another layer in described aspect.