• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

To anyone who knows me.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know if it was a trojan horse, I don't know if it is something funky with a piece of hardware in my computer, maybe I visited one to many adult websites. But my computer has been hit with something really, really...REALLY evil. I am not someone that knows how to work on computers, just don't know how to do that. I'll have to take it in to the one computer store that I trust to fix it for me.

Not having a computer makes me feel quite handicapped. *cries*

Sosaria, I'll see you in about one to two weeks. *salutes gently while riding off into sunset*

Hexen_Cats

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are several ways to can avoid taking it to the computer store, I would recommend downloading Trend Micro Internet security pro. You can go to download.com it has a 30 day free trial. Download, install update it. Then restart your computer and keep pushing F8 Select Safe Mode when you see the option. From there you can run the virus scan and it should remove anything that's infected your system. Trend Pro also has a Firewall which will help stop further attacks.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Say no to Pron

... Its an addition. No, wait, a hobby? *sigh*

What ever my computer has, it won't even let me sign on to the net, or download anything. I can't even open a folder on my very own desktop. The second I click on anything... ANYTHING I get an annoying pop-up telling me that I'm infected. Well... I can't even click "ok" or "Preform system check" the pop-up won't go away.

I got hit with something nasty. *cries*

Thank you for the advice though. I'm going to stay out of F8 mode. I'll just mess something up worse I'm sure. I'm stuck in forum world until then. Someone be sure to feed my Reptalon, and tell him I'll be back as soon as I can.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im out of town atm and actually been out since last weekend. I know that virus because you can get it anywhere. Its very very vicious. It will start attacking your windows OS then hard drive and finally your ram memory. It wont let you download or use a virus program at all. It blocks any attempt to remove it.

This is what you do....

Step one...When you start your computer and windows opens up hit your control+alt+del keys same time. You will get your task manager. Find that program that is running the virus click it then hit the end button. Go to your explorer and open it up. If you cant open it up or download then you havent shut down that virus. It should actually show in your application tab and be a bunch of numbers if I recall not a named program.

Step two...Go dowload a program named vipre. You can get it for a free 30 day trial. Its the only program that I know that will clean that virus out. Once you clean it out then clean your computer and restart and that should fix it.

DO NOT SHUT DOWN YOUR COMPUTER UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED VIPRE, INSTALLED IT, AND USED TO CLEANED IT. ( not yelling but emphasizing this importance on this)

Hope that helps.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you all for the computer advice. Still... I'm so scared to mess with it. The virus checker I use most is Avast and Spybot, I think I also use one called window defender. I think that Avast is a grumpy virus checker though. It seems to collide with other virus running programs, or I may have tried Vipre.

I'm glad at least someone else has heard of the virus that I got hit with though.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its not hard to get rid of if you follow the steps I posted. Pretty easy but you could get somebody you know a little more computer savvy to try. You can alos download a program from microsoft called windows essentials. It replaces all the other crap virus protection programs. Plus its free as long as you have a windows operation system.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its not hard to get rid of if you follow the steps I posted. Pretty easy but you could get somebody you know a little more computer savvy to try. You can also download a program from microsoft called windows essentials. It replaces all the other crap virus protection programs. Plus its free as long as you have a windows operation system.
I got impatient and tried some of the stuff you told me. I didn't do everything you suggested, but I did try some of it. And...so far, my computer is working again. I am so happy. So, Mr. Zosimus, I have you to thank. My deepest gratitude, you may have saved me a 95 dollar service fee. *Jumps in air and clicks heels*. Yet again, the cool people that frequent stratics have helped me again.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My deepest gratitude, you may have saved me a 95 dollar service fee. *Jumps in air and clicks heels*. Yet again, the cool people that frequent stratics have helped me again.
Seeing as he saved you 95 bucks, don't you think you should split the difference with him? Maybe send him $47.50 for his trouble? :stir:

Glad to hear you're up and running again. :thumbup1:

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
YW and glad its working for you. Dont know what you exactly did but if it helped then its all good. Just send Black Sun the partial payment so he will quit locking threads for a month :p

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I'm going to start accepting bribes it's gonna cost a hell of a lot more than $47.50 to buy me off.

I won't abandon my principals for less than $1000.00
(Yes, I accept paypal)

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's cheaper to keep posts on topic then what you are asking :p lol

If anybody else gets this virus follow those steps above. Its probably one of the worse ones I had to ever deal with. It acts and looks like a window program and makes it seem you just got attacked by another virus. If you click OK then you get attacked and have to do the steps above to get rid of it. If you just close it out when you first see it you wont get infected.

I do suggest for ones that are running with trial versions or outdated virus programs to get microsoft security essentials. Its free for all window users and definetly easier on ram memory usage.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
If I'm going to start accepting bribes it's gonna cost a hell of a lot more than $47.50 to buy me off.

I won't abandon my principals for less than $1000.00
(Yes, I accept paypal)
I'll put it on your tab.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Zosimus is so correct. That is exactly the virus that hit me. Sadly... I guess I only slowed it down. Now it has hit my computer in full force. Your advice did help me, for a while though. I'm sure that if I knew something about computers that I could carry that advice to nuke my pc to the point that it would be running like a top.

Well, I'll take my pc to my favorite computer store by the end of this week. But I thank you all for the help and advice. Wish me luck, they usually keep a pc for ten (business) days. But they are amazing.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is another way to get rid of this virus. Its usually the last thing I would do if I cant tackle the problem but its very rare I ever had to do this. You can reboot the whole system back to factory settings. Depending on your computer which most now dont come with a disk and have to use one of your "F" keys. It depends on the make and model of the computer you have you just hold that F key down when you start your computer and it will ask if you want to reboot back to factory settings. You will lose everything you have on your computer if you do this. If you have one with a disk then you can just do it with a disk.

I still suggest Bob to follow my steps and it will save you 95 bones. Just shut the virus down in your taskmanager when you first start your computer and download that vipre trial program and it will get rid of it.

If anybody that is confident in their computer abilities and want to try to get better performance out of their XP windows computers you may want to look at this link.

http://support.darkageofcamelot.com/kb/article.php?id=344

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make a post Bob on how things are going if you can with your computer. Im leaving tomorrow night ( actually tonight since its officially thursdays) for another beach trip. Last weeks trip was for a freinds bachelor party in Vegas. Going to get some of the last of the summer rays and surfing in for 2 weeks but I can access my computer with my cell to check on things during the slow hours.