• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tips for Scam Busting!

• Thread starter imported_SimTripps
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_SimTripps

Parizad's in-game message gave the idea for this. Now that we're starting to 'merge' together in EA Land, along with the far and few devious felons, revisiting this topic might be helpful, especially to new players...

First and foremost, as the proverb goes..."If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is..." I am always leery when approached out of the blue with any kind of offer to trade from someone I do not know. This immediately makes me suspicious. It doesn't mean that people should be paranoid and not trust anyone, but trust your instincts more - if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't lol...

Be cautious of those asking to trade any 'non-tradable via inventory' items, i.e., trees, simmies, properties, etc., for rares, and who are anxious to get the trade over with fast. Not all people who ask to trade mystic trees are scammers, but I'd rather just buy the item from the person, and they buy my items, that way I know it's a safe deal...

Including a respected unbiased third-party during the transaction is ALWAYS recommended, especially if you're unsure of the player. Take LOTS of screenshots during the transaction, so you'll have proof if anything goes amiss. DON'T be impetuous to trade, and do your research on them beforehand, i.e., ask around first to see whether the sim has been reported by anyone, and ALWAYS ask for references of other trades they've engaged in before you hand over your rares. I would even go so far as to recommend to NEVER trade your rares for a tree or other non-tradable, unless they're your buddy in the game. If a person wants your rares for what they've got so badly, they should just freakin' buy them from you lol..

These are just a few tips - if anyone has any others, please post

L

Lucky Lisa

Including a respected unbiased third-party during the transaction is ALWAYS recommended

Yep sounds great....
Friendship web was perfect for that ! .. couldn't leave comment in EA-Land, sup with that?

L

Lucky Lisa

Tried again.. .may that be cuz scammer is ignoring me? Sure not ignoring him

I

imported_MARCIN2006

This will probably be once of the scams which will die down after the merge but still.

1) Once the Cities merge don't do transfers. Obviously once all the cities are merged there is no place to transfer any simoleans or rares. Dont fall for any tricks.

2) When buying real estate (aka lots, islands, etc...) make sure you use the safe "Trade-able House Deed" Feature. (Make the seller make you a roommate and make them place the house deed or the house deed & object deed and then put in the $ you agreed to pay. Once the trade is accepted by both parties, you (the buyer) will become the owner and the seller will be a roommate. (Same goes for selling real estate). If they refuse to do this, it basically means they were going to scam you.

Thats all I can think of for now...

G

We scammers are a proud people. Why must you always be up in our grill?

I seriously don't understand. It's a game. They're simoleans. People roleplay all the time, I just happen to roleplay a thief. Is that so wrong?

To add a tip, I used to be in the scamming business before I quit TSO. Avoid buying islands. Never go first. Marcin, I believe, has shared a similar experience.

N

NightFlyer

..."We scammers are a proud people. Why must you always be up in our grill?

I seriously don't understand. It's a game. They're simoleans. People roleplay all the time, I just happen to roleplay a thief. Is that so wrong?"

Yes.

If you need an explination as to why I can only conclude your upbringing was lacking in any morals. Shame on your parents.

Role playing a thief and actually being one (whether for rl stuff or virtual suff) are two different things.

G

I had a run in with one of the "good fellas" myself, he/they are real fast clickers and that is how they manage this scam. I was smart enough not to actually click the check box myself but I saw how fast he pulled that robo cat out and clicked his again. Had I clicked it, he'd have gotten my money too so yeah, huston, I think we have a problem. I have been told of this person or group by several different people in game who have said they've reported him so why is it he's still running loose? I didn't report myself because he didn't win in my case.

G

Yes it's wrong to roleplay a thief, just as it's wrong to be one in real life. These are real people you are hurting with your behavior. You should be ashamed. It is not only illegal to steal, it is immoral, period >.<

G

<blockquote><hr>

and ALWAYS ask for references of other trades they've engaged in before you hand over your rares.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not trust any references. They prob have a ton of sims themselves that would give glowing recomendations. I highly doubt they are scamming on their main acct. If you can't buy it from a store forget it. Make sure you check the item you are buying even from a store. Some scammers have been known to put rugs or other items under a rare and price it.

If your check mark in trade disapears before they check it. Close the trade out and tell them to forget it. Try to check your box after they check theirs. If they just stand there close it and forget it. After you have checked it and the check mark poofs and they have added a free item. Check the original item to make sure it is the same. Gift boxes and pets are easily switched. Again try to trade only in stores.

A bug was brought up earlier on these boards that scammers use. It is a bug that does not allow you to put the item out on a lot but it is still tradeable. A lot of ppl have bought bugged trees and cannons.

D

DGLita

Buzz killington, yes it IS wrong to roleplay a thief. Simoleans have a real money value now, if you scam someone out of $5000 simioleans you have scammed them out of $5 REAL money. That is real life theft whether you see it as roleplay or not, you have scammed them of real money value. EA ARE taking scammers very seriously now

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Great point Simone....and even having a 3rd party transfer can be iffy also depending on who the 3rd party. That 3rd party very well could be the scammers 'alternate'.

Best policy is....if it looks too good to be true...it probably is. Desperate people make prime targets. If a players goes from lot to lot announcing to all they are looking for a tree or a rare pet....that sim may as well be wearing a 'scam me' sticker.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I had a run in with one of the "good fellas" myself, he/they are real fast clickers and that is how they manage this scam. I was smart enough not to actually click the check box myself but I saw how fast he pulled that robo cat out and clicked his again. Had I clicked it, he'd have gotten my money too so yeah, huston, I think we have a problem. I have been told of this person or group by several different people in game who have said they've reported him so why is it he's still running loose? I didn't report myself because he didn't win in my case.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was there when this so called *scam* trade was *attempting to take place* Its was lucky we had been warned beforehand and knew what he was about - The guy was imining us all diff prices for the robot - when he accused CG of x'ing the money out i said give to me and ill price it in store, his reply "make me a roomie" lol as if. Please every one DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM ANYONE IN A TRADE unless y really know them and Beware of the pet priced on red star in shop scam also (the priced pet is place on a priced star - chances are you will buy the start not the pet/item) AND Come on Maxis are you going to allow these scammers to run amock - we report (as i did the robot scammer) and they are still play in game (in other games they get the boot) thats giving them the *green light to do as they want and get away with it, while others suffer at their hands* How the heck is that fair ????

G

<blockquote><hr>

We scammers are a proud people. Why must you always be up in our grill?

I seriously don't understand. It's a game. They're simoleans. People roleplay all the time, I just happen to roleplay a thief. Is that so wrong?

To add a tip, I used to be in the scamming business before I quit TSO. Avoid buying islands. Never go first. Marcin, I believe, has shared a similar experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

People like you make me wanna puke, People have been working hard to get where they are in game and you think that gives you the right to scam them cos you cant be arsed to work your way up the *right way* - You know I have kids and they have been brought up to know right from wrong - Your parents Im sure would be very proud of their son * cos i know if my kids did what yo did in game or out *their feet would not touch the ground*

I

imported_Juniper Skye

I am always (well, usually always) available as a third party in a trade, just send me a pm and I am happy to help.

Please be aware of the RoC while posting about this topic:

<font color="brown"> C. Personal attacks are prohibited.This specifically means any text/post that is blatantly attacking another person on or off the forum, especially in a personal way. </font>

This means naming someone you may think (or know) is a scammer. The best you can do is report them in game and hope something will be done.

D

DGLita

He just came to my property and offered a robot cat for 20k. I went to his place to see it, and I asked why he was selling it for 20k when they are on sale for 175k. He told me he needed money fast to build his house. So we went into trade he placed the robot cat I placed my 20k. And I waited.... and waited, he didnt click, i didnt click, but he sure could move that cat in and out of trade fast! lol

G

<blockquote><hr>

He just came to my property and offered a robot cat for 20k. I went to his place to see it, and I asked why he was selling it for 20k when they are on sale for 175k. He told me he needed money fast to build his house. So we went into trade he placed the robot cat I placed my 20k. And I waited.... and waited, he didnt click, i didnt click, but he sure could move that cat in and out of trade fast! lol

[/ QUOTE ]

That how he works you click the mopney he takes robot and clicks x - trade done u get nought - and yes he well fast (price gone up i see, perhaps y get to look at it in its box in your trade box for longer now lmao

I

imported_SimTripps

This is the thing guys - DON'T trade with anyone who is suspect. I agree w/Lita - since simoleans have a 'real world' value, scamming anyone out of simoleans, or anything the player bought with simoleans, is theft. And hello... theft is against the law, isn't it??...

And what's the point of reporting a player in-game if nothing gets done? I was scammed in AV a couple years ago and reported him - same person scammed MANY people. People reported him, but he continued to move about, city to city, trying to scam even more....

In the early days of TC3, the following was an entry in the build notes from the August 15th, 2007 patch:

Additional trade logging and tracking is now enabled (internal).

What exactly was this? It sounds like an improved interal log system of trades, i.e., if a trade goes bad, there will be a log available for EA to trace the transaction for evidentary and disciplinary purposes...

D

DGLita

<blockquote><hr>

In the early days of TC3, the following was an entry in the build notes from the August 15th, 2007 patch:

Additional trade logging and tracking is now enabled (internal).

What exactly was this? It sounds like an improved interal log system of trades, i.e., if a trade goes bad, there will be a log available for EA to trace the transaction for evidentary and disciplinary purposes...

[/ QUOTE ]

I do believe this is the case, Parizad put out a global message in game yesterday evening asking for scammers to be reported (using the report feature) immediately so that they can trace the logs. I am sure the devs are taking this seriously, it may seem as if they not doing anything but I really do believe they are taking this very seriously. But it is important that scams are reported there and then, so that the devs can track the log

P

PB Three

Why? Because although it may be a game, it's still stealing, my friend. They worked hard to get what they have, why not you?

Let's put it in perspective: how do you think you'd feel if you got scammed?

PB Three

B

BarbaraBGS

i tried trading my tree between my two sims and it cannot be done. so, warning - trees cannot be traded!

G

<blockquote><hr>

i tried trading my tree between my two sims and it cannot be done. so, warning - trees cannot be traded!

[/ QUOTE ]

No tree trading is not possible - The only way to get a tree from one sim to another it via a shop (the tree is actually priced and placed in the shop like any other catalogue item) so Yer dont ever let another sim fool you into trying to trade one - ITS IMPOSSIBLE