• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tipping and recognition

G

I was thinkin' a thought, so I thought I would post it here to see what y'all think.

The tip gives a lil "ding" when somebody puts some money in it. That's all.

What if instead, the owner got a message with the name of the sim that left the tip, and how much. Like the sales messages that store owners get?

Too much? Too weird?

G

<blockquote><hr>

I was thinkin' a thought, so I thought I would post it here to see what y'all think.

What if instead, the owner got a message with the name of the sim that left the tip, and how much. Like the sales messages that store owners get?

Too much? Too weird?

[/ QUOTE ]

That might be nice, or, as a symbol of recognition for the roomie tipped and not for the tipper, a popup message could appear to everybody else saying something like "xxxxRoomiexxxxx just received a tip in the amount of x in appreciation for his exemplary hosting abilities" leaving out the name of the tipper, since the point is to shine the spotlight on the host, not on the ones leaving tips. Some might say that it would increase the tips given just so some sims could have other people see their name in lights, and knowing some of the populations' motives like I do it would, but that would be tipping for the wrong reasons rather than what tips are supposed to be for...a 'tip' is given to a service person who goes above and beyond the call of duty, and I think the dictionary definition even says as much...I'll have to hit dictionary.com ASAP to see.

As a side issue, I wish there was some way that the name of the owner of the jar could be visible when they are not on the lot without having to go into buy mode. When they are on the lot, you see "Tip so and so" when you click on it, but if they aren't you have to look at the names.....or maybe it could be that a house could have a communal tip jar, where the tips are split evenly amongst the roomies and you didn't have to hunt for the one you wanted to give to now that there's usually one tip jar per roomie on lots.

I

Inge Jones

As the person doing the tipping I would not like that at all! It would be so embarrassing!

M

MandiK

Eh I dont care so much for that idea. Most people dont 'tip' to be given an award for it, or get recognized. People do it to pay the owner or roomies back for their hospitality. I dont think getting people 'recognized' is an important enough thing that it should be incorporated into the game. I dont need someone to see me tip them, or know I did. Im not doing it for that purpose. I do it because I feel they deserve it.

S

Sean Kendrick

I dont think it should show amount, just the person's name.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

Too much? Too weird?

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent idea. I have a feeling more people would leave a tip.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

Eh I dont care so much for that idea. Most people dont 'tip' to be given an award for it, or get recognized. People do it to pay the owner or roomies back for their hospitality. I dont think getting people 'recognized' is an important enough thing that it should be incorporated into the game. I dont need someone to see me tip them, or know I did. Im not doing it for that purpose. I do it because I feel they deserve it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats true too. Maybe if they we're done anonymously it would work. I just know that less than half of the people leave tips. At lease that's how it was at my money house. I ended up closing the doors because I was constantly restocking the refridgerator, and it got old quick. lol

G

<blockquote><hr>

I do it would, but that would be tipping for the wrong reasons rather than what tips are supposed to be for...a 'tip' is given to a service person who goes above and beyond the call of duty,

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO this is the kind of statement that could completely mislead new players. You are of course welcome to your opinion Carrie, but I beg to differ.

I don't tip because someone goes "above and beyond the call of duty", I tip because it cost that person money to feed me, so I reimburse them at the very least the cost of feeding me. I'll tip more if I've been on a lot a long time and they've been a great host, but I don't tip only if they have provided an exemplary service as you call it.

Polly

G

Actually if an owner knew what was in their tip jar before you tipped, they can always see what you left by "checking on tips".

Nice idea !

Polly

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I do it would, but that would be tipping for the wrong reasons rather than what tips are supposed to be for...a 'tip' is given to a service person who goes above and beyond the call of duty,

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO this is the kind of statement that could completely mislead new players. You are of course welcome to your opinion Carrie, but I beg to differ.

I don't tip because someone goes "above and beyond the call of duty", I tip because it cost that person money to feed me, so I reimburse them at the very least the cost of feeding me. I'll tip more if I've been on a lot a long time and they've been a great host, but I don't tip only if they have provided an exemplary service as you call it.

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]

But that, by definition, isn't a tip, that's paying for your food, like you would at a restaurant. 'Tips' *are* gratuity for being given good service. It's just that most sims won't tolerate HC being put behind a pay door, or being charged for barfet, so the sims that wish to pay for their food have to put it in a 'tip jar' but in that sense its a misnomer.....it's just that in game terms there's no distinction for it.

D

DGLita

<blockquote><hr>

As a side issue, I wish there was some way that the name of the owner of the jar could be visible when they are not on the lot without having to go into buy mode. When they are on the lot, you see "Tip so and so" when you click on it, but if they aren't you have to look at the names.....or maybe it could be that a house could have a communal tip jar, where the tips are split evenly amongst the roomies and you didn't have to hunt for the one you wanted to give to now that there's usually one tip jar per roomie on lots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Click on the jars in buy mode. it will tell you who they belong to

EDIT: ok i need to put my reading glasses on before I reply, I see you already mentioned buy mode now

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep thinking about that episode on Seinfield with George, when the guy would never see him tip...lol

G

Hmmm....
I wasn't thinking about awards or recognition, just the roomie knowing who had been generous and having the opportunity of sending a 'thank you' note if they wanted. Again, pretty much the same kind of message a store owner gets when we buy something.

Buuuut, I don't wanna stir up another controversy, so I'll just file this one away in the fireplace.

Y

YadaSc

A new pop up? I think that would cause more lagggg.. and be something that peeps would get tired of seeing..being busy running the lot is enough. I love to tip for my food, but for the host to know it's me don't matter at all. I do it b/c it's the right thing to do.. makes me feel better and helps out the hosts a LOT !
It would also make the host feel like they should stop everything to tell someone thanks.. them opening their lots for us should be enough thanks.

I

imported_debslee

[/ QUOTE ]

But that, by definition, isn't a tip, that's paying for your food, like you would at a restaurant. 'Tips' *are* gratuity for being given good service. It's just that most sims won't tolerate HC being put behind a pay door, or being charged for barfet, so the sims that wish to pay for their food have to put it in a 'tip jar' but in that sense its a misnomer.....it's just that in game terms there's no distinction for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct me if I am wrong (being a fairly new kid on the block) but I think the use of tip jars has metamorphosised (is that even a word???
) over time and I dont think that you can liken it to tipping in RL. The reason I say this is in threads gone by, people who visit lots realise how costly it is to feed people and so the best way was to leave out tip jars and allow players to contribute towards the cost of "having them" on their lot. I remember this clearly when EA Land first opened and I think even originated in TC3 - because there was no use any more for them in production cities due to the huge amounts of surplus cash.

Personally, I think it would be nice to get an ingame message of who tipped but not necessarily how much.

G

Maybe we should tip before we do anything in the house lol. I know I always forget when I am leaving. I get in such a hurry and then when I have clicked leave lot is when I remember. I mean the word tip stands for To Insure Promptness so if we tip befor hand we should get excellent service from our hosts right? Just an Idea.

I

imported_debslee

<blockquote><hr>

Maybe we should tip before we do anything in the house lol. I know I always forget when I am leaving. I get in such a hurry and then when I have clicked leave lot is when I remember. I mean the word tip stands for To Insure Promptness so if we tip befor hand we should get excellent service from our hosts right? Just an Idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea !!!

K

knotter02

im for both ways. as a tipper i wouldnt want anybody to know that i tipped them unless they saw me tip them. i like suprising people when they go to thier tip jar. But as recieving the tips i would want to know who it was not how much just who it was. so that i could do a little something for them because they worked for their money. It sounds like a reward but im just thinking of it as a kind thing to do for somebody giving. so my idea would be to give the tipper the opption if they would like to show their name and how much or just thier name, they would be able to click on the opption before oking the tip amount.

G

How bout if an action was added to the jar that allowed the owner to view a tip list before they empty it? That way if you dont want to look you dont have to and it I think the mail or pop up issue would be annoying.

Personally I wish everyone would just charge up front, I'm terrible at remembering to tip.

I

Inge Jones

You get a dialog anyway when you go to tip, with the amount in. Could it be expanded to have a tick box to choose if you want the tip to be anonymous, otherwise your name and amount is added to a viewable list?

K

knotter02

<blockquote><hr>

You get a dialog anyway when you go to tip, with the amount in. Could it be expanded to have a tick box to choose if you want the tip to be anonymous, otherwise your name and amount is added to a viewable list?

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha yes that was what i was getting at in my other post. you said it better lol

G

This kind of scheme would be horribly embarrassing to those new penniless sims who can't yet afford to tip or tip big, and I think would lead to one-upmanship among richer sims who would vie to see who can be most 'generous' just to make themselves look good.

I can also see a possible scenario where small- or non-tippers are blacklisted, and maybe banned from the house or at the least treated like second-class citizens, while big tippers cozy up to the roomies and become popular.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but knowing human nature, this wouldn't surprise me in the least.

G

But they did suggest not having the tip listed with the names. At this point the lot owner/roomies taking care of the guest would appreciate anything that is given to them. Even by cleaning or if you can serenading and helping them out as well.

I know I would be.

I

Inge Jones

Actually I am not sure this discussion is necessary. If the tip jar system stays exactly as it is, those players who wish to be recognised and thanked personally can go up to the host/ess and give her money directly in a Transaction.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Personally I wish everyone would just charge up front, I'm terrible at remembering to tip.

[/ QUOTE ]
ME TOO! I am easily distracted in rl with a lil one and often i just poof not intentionally but as you other parents know often rl has to come first. If people charged me to eat right then n there at least they'd get that $ and when i don't poof they'd get their tips. As Carrie stated <blockquote><hr>

But that, by definition, isn't a tip, that's paying for your food, like you would at a restaurant. 'Tips' *are* gratuity for being given good service

[/ QUOTE ] so this way they get reinburst for food costs but get *tipped* as earned

P

Paulina

I believe cleaning up behind yourself as in scrubbing the shower, making the bed or picking up your plate is a given anywhere. Unless the maid is present on the property then you want to make sure she has lots to do, so she doesn't pick her you know what.

I don't think there is a need for the recognition of the tipper or the person that is being tipped at this time. Like it was stated if the person wants to be recognized for tipping they can bring up trade and give it to the host/hostess personally.
Maybe later they can add a feature like this to the game, but for right now the Dev's need to concentrate on the rest of the merges and on fixing the problems that have come with the merges already so that we are able to play and have the means to be able to tip someone.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Masterful idea! I've been doing this today, but mostly because I've been on alt sims so I take my main sim around first, or send a message with the alt sim to the owner/roomie that my main sim will be around directly. I didn't realize that's what 'tip' stood for though, so you've taught this sim something new today!

N

nobuttkisser

Keep tips anonomyous. makes for giving a lot better. I wouldn't want anyone knowing how much tips I give could be a $1 could be $1 mil sorry giving with a name post or announcement is like standing up in church and shouting out what you give to the Lord (or church) nope not my bag

you asked for my two simoleans (or whatever the name will be) so you go it -- enjoy your NEW game --

G

<blockquote><hr>

Keep tips anonomyous. makes for giving a lot better. I wouldn't want anyone knowing how much tips I give could be a $1 could be $1 mil sorry giving with a name post or announcement is like standing up in church and shouting out what you give to the Lord (or church) nope not my bag

you asked for my two simoleans (or whatever the name will be) so you go it -- enjoy your NEW game --

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting way to look at it too....also, attaching the amount could lead to misgivings and ideas that certain sims are 'cheapskate' because they only tip the $3 that food costs instead of $50 or $100, or could lead to sims who do tip $50 or $100 if that is not the norm, getting accusations that they must not make their money fairly, or that they are *lazy* because they 'must' use an ATM to be able to tip that much all the time.....etc. etc. Didn't think of it like that.

G

What would work better to get sims to tip, is to have it send a message when you leave the lot saying: So and so ate however much food and left without leaving a tip.

That is if you do not tip.

ETA: This is sarcasm.

G

You do not have to bring up a trade window. Just click on give money. If it is so important they know.