• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Time for a sequel

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA buying Shroud of the Avatar perhaps? Finish UXO? What would you expect from a sequel? Like how about UO members get free admission for the new entry? Porting chars to a 3D new game?

North_LS

Journeyman
i'm not sure what i'd expect, aside from a lot of bugs and the typical EA stranglehold on my wallet. I'd definitely hope to retain the isometric perspective and sandbox style play.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I honestly don't expect a sequel, at least not in 10-15 years. I don't see the Ultima Franchise as being all that marketable anymore, mainly because EA dropped the ball on it. I can't see them dropping potentially tens of millions into development of an MMO based on a franchise that resonates primarily with a individuals in the 35+ age group.

IF they were to do it, I'd want to see something more akin to what GTA V did, have a single player game with an open world online element.

Shroud of the Avatar is lovely to look at but full of bugs.
It will be in Beta for next few years.
In the meantime they want to sell everything to players for real life $'s to fund further development.
I like Richard Garriot, as he created UO, but make no mistake SOTA is very much a Beta game.

Players there are spending insane amounts of real life for playing/testing a Beta game.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I love the 2D client and that's why I play. When UO shuts down I think I'll be looking for something completely different to do. Probably something space related. I'm a little surprised there's even a market for Dungeon and Dragons type games anymore. I'd think gamers would be getting a little burned out on the genre.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So many former/current UO players are so unimpressed with this game I think they have a long way to go yet. So many times I've waited on the "next best thing" to find out it's not all that great.
My only real complaint about the game is the scripting language they used for modding. LUA is horrible in my opinion, 1 based arrays (which I think are stupid) and lack of ability to use class methods (Yay for bloated code) makes it a poor choice.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
EA buying Shroud of the Avatar perhaps? Finish UXO? What would you expect from a sequel? Like how about UO members get free admission for the new entry? Porting chars to a 3D new game?
Honestly I would rather they work on UO to make it better in order to bring back old vets and new players, I'd rather they fill the empty shards instead of starting all over with a sequel or a different game. Endless Journey is a step in the right direction, if they also did some online marketing by referencing the "Longest Running MMORPG" and spam those past million account emails we've had in 20 years i'm sure it would get the ball rolling. People looking for UO2 will be sadly disappointed, sure there's other games that offer similar aspects of UO but none have the same feel and depth... just an empty shell

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Honestly I would rather they work on UO to make it better in order to bring back old vets and new players, I'd rather they fill the empty shards instead of starting all over with a sequel or a different game. Endless Journey is a step in the right direction, if they also did some online marketing by referencing the "Longest Running MMORPG" and spam those past million account emails we've had in 20 years i'm sure it would get the ball rolling. People looking for UO2 will be sadly disappointed, sure there's other games that offer similar aspects of UO but none have the same feel and depth... just an empty shell
Honestly I'm still of the opinion the EJ is going to bite them in the end. The folks who left the game left for a reason, I don't think offering up the same game they didn't enjoy, with a lot of restrictions is going to convince them to sub. A lot of those who went on to play modern MMOs, will find UO wonky and backwards in terms of the rather limited, and not so player friendly UI. The EC's UI is better than the CC's but still restrictive. With the various "Return to Britannia" events, if people didn't stay then in large numbers what will the EJ change? Throwing restrictions at the same folks won't change the minds of people who didn't stay without restrictions.

What about new players.... If I can't decide in 14 days if I want to keep playing a game then I probably won't, if it's not engaging enough to hook me solidly in that time frame, 30, 60, 90, or 365 days won't change it.

Static housing, rather than instanced and the customization of those houses to be honest are UO's primary strong points in this day and age. You'll hear people say "But the PvP!", when AoS was nothing more than an attempt to copy what other MMO's at that time had accomplished; a game where Min/Maxing and itemization was nearly as important as and in some cases overtook player skill and community engagement. I won't even say UO's PvP is the best out there anymore, PvP in some of the other games I've played suit my tastes a bit more, but I am pretty sure at this time UO does have the most dynamic and involved player housing system.

I think we'll see a flood of scripting, since banning them is pointless as they'll just make a new EJ account to replace it. Other cheating methods will follow suit as people can easily shield their "Subscription" account by making and using throw away EJ accounts to make use of exploits, dupes, etc.

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if they also did some online marketing by referencing the "Longest Running MMORPG" and spam those past million account emails we've had in 20 years i'm sure it would get the ball rolling. People looking for UO2 will be sadly disappointed, sure there's other games that offer similar aspects of UO but none have the same feel and depth... just an empty shell
WE should make our own videos. EA isn't Nintendo and prolly won't copyright infrienge vdieos aobtu their game.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I agree. Their best bet is to bank on nostalgia. New games just don't have that. Nothing will ever be like UO was for us. In the same way it won't be like EQ, WoW, Aion, etc. etc. was for other people.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I agree. Their best bet is to bank on nostalgia. New games just don't have that. Nothing will ever be like UO was for us. In the same way it won't be like EQ, WoW, Aion, etc. etc. was for other people.
Yea but the nostalgia is also what's keeping many ways. UO's not the game they played anymore.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Honestly I'm still of the opinion the EJ is going to bite them in the end. The folks who left the game left for a reason, I don't think offering up the same game they didn't enjoy, with a lot of restrictions is going to convince them to sub. A lot of those who went on to play modern MMOs, will find UO wonky and backwards in terms of the rather limited, and not so player friendly UI. The EC's UI is better than the CC's but still restrictive. With the various "Return to Britannia" events, if people didn't stay then in large numbers what will the EJ change? Throwing restrictions at the same folks won't change the minds of people who didn't stay without restrictions.
I'm seeing it the other way around as lots who have left might come back since they won't have to pay, think of the role players OR old vets that still have that urge but don't want to pay in order to find out if the nostalgia is enough for them to come back OR the casual UO player that only has a few hours a month and doesn't see it being worth the money to keep his account to stay open but might have more time in the future OR the freesharder that will give OSI another chance since they don't have to pay anymore

What about new players.... If I can't decide in 14 days if I want to keep playing a game then I probably won't, if it's not engaging enough to hook me solidly in that time frame, 30, 60, 90, or 365 days won't change it.
I honestly think EJ is more catered around old, existing and freeshard UO players. Once the game is healthier then they should work on the new player aspect which will probably require some updated graphics in the future. I think it's more important to get people back that left and have played the game until they work on getting new players that have never played UO... less chance those will stay

Static housing, rather than instanced and the customization of those houses to be honest are UO's primary strong points in this day and age. You'll hear people say "But the PvP!", when AoS was nothing more than an attempt to copy what other MMO's at that time had accomplished; a game where Min/Maxing and itemization was nearly as important as and in some cases overtook player skill and community engagement. I won't even say UO's PvP is the best out there anymore, PvP in some of the other games I've played suit my tastes a bit more, but I am pretty sure at this time UO does have the most dynamic and involved player housing system.
I think the lack of direction is the problem with PVP, every shift ends with a bunch of people leaving... some suggestions have been made and maybe they'll have to be implemented for it to be healthy again

I think we'll see a flood of scripting, since banning them is pointless as they'll just make a new EJ account to replace it. Other cheating methods will follow suit as people can easily shield their "Subscription" account by making and using throw away EJ accounts to make use of exploits, dupes, etc.
There's ALREADY a flood of scripting and has been for years now, the restrictions (which haven't been fully announced yet) will atleast negate the cheating on these accounts. I honestly laugh everytime I see someone mention this as it already exists greatly in PVP, PVM, IDOCS, TRANING and CRAFTING. Sadly if they banned it all, we probably wouldn't have a game :(

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
There's ALREADY a flood of scripting and has been for years now, the restrictions (which haven't been fully announced yet) will atleast negate the cheating on these accounts. I honestly laugh everytime I see someone mention this as it already exists greatly in PVP, PVM, IDOCS, TRANING and CRAFTING. Sadly if they banned it all, we probably wouldn't have a game :(
We can agree to disagree on the other stuff but this one... Yes cheating has been rampant for years, but I think we'll see it on an entirely different scale once the EJ hits, there will be no risk anymore.

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
Shroud of the Avatar is utter garbage, its a reskin of guild wars back in 2005. Does not even come close to any sequel of UO.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It took more convincing than you'd think to make EA Customer Support even believe they still ran UO... View attachment 76832
Ahh, there is nothing quite like having someone with an obvious language barrier tell you the game you play doesn't exist anymore. Good old EA customer service at its finest....