• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Throwing] Throwing vs. Archery Post Publish 81

Kafka72

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So it seems Throwing got a bit of a nerf in Publish 81 with the Soul Glaive damage being reduced. The Soul Glaive and Composite Bow equal now in base damage and both have Armor Ignore. So which one is the logical choice nowadays? Does Throwing still trump Archery or has Archery taken the lead? How bad of a nerf is it to Throwing templates and how are Throwers adjusting?

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well it depends a bit, Its true that throwing now does a little bit less damage than before (now archery and throwing do the same), but if you ask about which skill to use, depends on how do you want to play. Each skill have pros and cons :

For throwing : You need to find the sweet position for doing the max damage, now garg have 45hci and not 50, you can use a shield too, easier to make suits for a thrower ( you save a lot of mods because of the default high resists on garg armors, so you can use other mods instead), but you cant max the lmc inherit bonus, and you can use pots if you dont use shield.

For archery : You always do max damage at any distance, as an elf you can use woodland armor, can max the inherit lmc bonus, all weapons are 2h (need balanced for pots), as an elf you have 20 extra mana, you can use more artifacts and high end items than a garg can use, you need arrows or bolts.

I particullary prefer archery because of the +20 mana being an elf, max the inherit lmc bonus and can do max damage at any distance, but as i said, it depends on how you like to play.

Last edited:

hamburger

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you can get faster AI's with a composite bow because you can reforge and enhance to 50ssi (all else being equal)

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True, i forgot that one hehe. and about the shield, i think they have changed something , but cant remember exactly what was it.

Don't forget the +10 Damage Modifier on Quivers... It's pretty much a straight up END RESULT Modifier and not simply "Damage Increase." If your hitting something for 100 dmg without a quiver and then equip a quiver it should be 110 dmg basically so that bumps Archery over Throwing in the Dmg department, but the nice part about Throwing imo is NO AMMO / Equip Shield (for extra mods though I have to look how that works) / 11 Tile Range lets you dmg stuff that can dmg you if you have a friend to Efield or block etc.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
When I checked a shield about 1.5 years ago it gave penalty to hit chance. Not to hci but to hc directly - so you can't just equip more hci items and you miss even vs rats (IIRC you miss about 15% vs low end mobs with 115 parry).

Last edited:

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I have not rebuilt any of my wraith throwers into wraith archers... yet. I think you can now make a compelling case that archery is superior for the above mentioned reasons. I guess I should start collecting arrows again. I may even have to change my avatar!

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I have not rebuilt any of my wraith throwers into wraith archers... yet. I think you can now make a compelling case that archery is superior for the above mentioned reasons. I guess I should start collecting arrows again. I may even have to change my avatar!
Don't forget about swamp dargon - one more argument for archery.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'll add that I'm currently consider a PvM Archer OR Thrower (probably wraith in both cases) and ultimately I'd like to be using a LUCK suit and Humans get the best of that world as well....

Kelly O'Brian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Parrying is said to work against the hc penalty for wearing a shield as a thrower. But i dont know, wether it can nullify it and if so at which skill level. I would be glad, if somebody is able answer this.

Last edited:

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well, that is only a factor if you are not running in wraith form. This form is particularly helpful for mana which is required for AIs. Remember HML is halved for ranged weapons.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Parrying is said to work against the hc penalty for wearing a shield as a thrower. But i dont know, wether it can nullify it and if so at which skill level. I would be glad, if somebody is able answer this.
Parry will not nullify the hit chance penalty even at 120 parry. IMO, it is not worth it to throw with a shield. These are high DPS templates that generally try to hit at all costs, especially if using curse weapon or vamp form to heal.

Wolfman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Parry will not nullify the hit chance penalty even at 120 parry. IMO, it is not worth it to throw with a shield.These are high DPS templates that generally try to hit at all costs, especially if using curse weapon or vamp form to heal.
Agreed!
This is how I thought it works!

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
So let me get this straight:
You can use parry to block and it also nullifies the penalty? So you can have 45 HCI, 45 DCI and 40% chance blocking?
There is a difference between hc and hci. hci is used to calculate hc. Yes you can have 45 HCI but will miss fighting rats about 15%. With 0 HCI but without shield you will miss 5%.

Last edited: