• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Throwing] THROWING TEMPLATE HELP NEEDED

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Hello masters

I read this thread like 3 times, but as many posts are a bit dated I thought I'd rather ask again for your insight.

I'd like to build a thrower. Mainly to solo (or duo) champs.

Which build of the ones here would be the best? The less skills the better. ;)
Which mastery should I run with it?

Thank you very much!
If you're looking to do Fel Champ spawns, I would go with the ABC build. Mine is currently the following:
1680324840894.png

I get some additional skill points in Healing and Bush from my jewels.

For weapons, you will want to have one for each spawn, with respective weakest elemental type, Super Slayer, Hit Mana Leach, and then if you need SSI or Damage Increase add those... if you don't, then Hit Area is helpful and will up your damage.

I personally feel the Throwing mastery is one of the best ones... it has a really great special. Alternatively, if you feel like you are a bit squishy, the Bushido mastery is great for confidence... even if you're not 120 real skill.

Good luck!

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Hello masters

I read this thread like 3 times, but as many posts are a bit dated I thought I'd rather ask again for your insight.

I'd like to build a thrower. Mainly to solo (or duo) champs.

Which build of the ones here would be the best? The less skills the better. ;)
Which mastery should I run with it?

Thank you very much!
There is nothing good in thrower for champ spawns. May be for Forest Lord in lost lands ?
Then i'd advise 120 sword , 90 throwing , 90 Bushido. No parry
420 skill points in resist, necro , tactics anatomy.
Use any blight of tundra with Fey slayer talisman for wisps.
I did forest Lord with thrower /swordsman only 2 times. Now mainly using thrower for dungeon events (with taming) and for pirating .

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Do note that a Sampire will always out perform a thrower when it comes to solo-spawning. However, you can still definitely make a Thrower work at a champ spawn... even in the event of a raid, a thrower with potions will be able to fight back defensively a bit. If you're going to do specific spawns, you might want to make specific glaives tailored to whatever they're weakest elementals are, add applicable spells, so forth.

T_Jones

Journeyman
Do note that a Sampire will always out perform a thrower when it comes to solo-spawning. However, you can still definitely make a Thrower work at a champ spawn... even in the event of a raid, a thrower with potions will be able to fight back defensively a bit. If you're going to do specific spawns, you might want to make specific glaives tailored to whatever they're weakest elementals are, add applicable spells, so forth.
is glaive a better weapon type for gargoyles? I need to choose a weapon type for imbuing.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
is glaive a better weapon type for gargoyles? I need to choose a weapon type for imbuing.
Glaive has highest damage and highest range. Only one with Armor Ignore special . Hit area damage depends on weapon damage when it process. But need high stamina and lots of SSI to use.
For luck suit I was using cyclone . And I am using Banshee Call for beacons I don't know why. May be because I have several and was eager to utilize them.
Boomerang have pity damage and small range. I have no idea where can I use it.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Unfortunately as a thrower you really only have 3 options so there aren't a whole lot of options to begin with. Glaive is going to be your primary weapon (assuming you are talking just thrower weapon). You could technically use a boomerang for the mystic arch which does damage to another target but I'm not sure how much damage it does and if it's worth using a shorter range weapon. If you are working a spawn you will want a GM/imbued weapon so you can pick the properties and for working the spawn I'd throw on hit area effect so you are damaging more stuff.

Note that as Merlin said,, Sampires will always be able to outperform a thrower on a spawn as they can do whirlwind to take out many things are once...a thrower doesn't really have an effective way to do that unless you get some sort of hybrid that can cast spells (weapon won't be able to kill multiple targets at higher levels of the spawn).

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
All three of my throwers exclusively use Glaives.

Sharpside

Visitor
wooooooooo went through this whole post! Super insightful and very interesting and it convinced me to make a thrower as my comeback character. (I have a archer/tamer, sampire, pure mage, dexxer/poison)

@Merlin leaning towards using your last updated ABC thrower build. Maybe only using 120 resist because I got that stoned somewhere on my account, rest I would need to train. My question to you would be - if you would make it today with a Mythic character token (yes I am one like that to sometimes :D) how would you start, from race/stats/choosen skils. And could you give me a high level idea of arties used?

Thanks so much!

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
wooooooooo went through this whole post! Super insightful and very interesting and it convinced me to make a thrower as my comeback character. (I have a archer/tamer, sampire, pure mage, dexxer/poison)

@Merlin leaning towards using your last updated ABC thrower build. Maybe only using 120 resist because I got that stoned somewhere on my account, rest I would need to train. My question to you would be - if you would make it today with a Mythic character token (yes I am one like that to sometimes :D) how would you start, from race/stats/choosen skils. And could you give me a high level idea of arties used?

Thanks so much!
Glad to hear that this thread was useful!

A few notes...

• 120 Resist only necessary if you're going to be doing a good bit of spawning or engage in PVP. You can get away with 80-100 fine if you don't intend on spawning.
  • Nothing wrong with using Mythic Token! I've used quite a few myself. In terms of skills to pick, Bush, Chiv, Tactics for sure. Those are more expensive and tougher to raise the natural way once you get to higher levels. In terms of the other two skills, Healing is a good one to pick if you will keep it at 90 or above as that's another tough one to raise. Then just for sake of being able to start off with your build right away, maybe Throwing? Def don't need to pick Anat or Resist, those will raise quickly with normal game play. For Stats, you're going to need max strength and max dex... but you might want to plan exactly how much you will need based on your suit. Maybe for purpose of token, do 115 Dex, 100 Str, 10 Intel?
  • In terms of suit, I go with almost all stone in order to get the LMC bonus. Good 10 stam stone pieces aren't cheap, so be prepared to spend a bit if you're going for end game level suit. On my throwers, I will typically get 4-5 high end legendary pieces, and craft the earrings or necklace to fill in any stats I couldn't get from my suit and jewels. For artifacts, end game suit will have a set of Cameos for each super slayer, but you can probably get away with just one Cameo to start. For Wing armor, there are two differnt artifacts - one with +5 Throwing, other with +5 Anat. Those are both good options with good stats on them as well. I don't use many other artifacts for my throwers.
  • Since gargs short one armor slot compared to humans/elves, you need to squeeze as much as you can out of your suit. Since you will have a free hand, I suggest using potions to get up 150 Strength and Dexterity. That way you can save some stats and put some additional points into intel to increase your mana pool.

Good luck!

Sharpside

Visitor
Glad to hear that this thread was useful!

A few notes...

• 120 Resist only necessary if you're going to be doing a good bit of spawning or engage in PVP. You can get away with 80-100 fine if you don't intend on spawning.
  • Nothing wrong with using Mythic Token! I've used quite a few myself. In terms of skills to pick, Bush, Chiv, Tactics for sure. Those are more expensive and tougher to raise the natural way once you get to higher levels. In terms of the other two skills, Healing is a good one to pick if you will keep it at 90 or above as that's another tough one to raise. Then just for sake of being able to start off with your build right away, maybe Throwing? Def don't need to pick Anat or Resist, those will raise quickly with normal game play. For Stats, you're going to need max strength and max dex... but you might want to plan exactly how much you will need based on your suit. Maybe for purpose of token, do 115 Dex, 100 Str, 10 Intel?
  • In terms of suit, I go with almost all stone in order to get the LMC bonus. Good 10 stam stone pieces aren't cheap, so be prepared to spend a bit if you're going for end game level suit. On my throwers, I will typically get 4-5 high end legendary pieces, and craft the earrings or necklace to fill in any stats I couldn't get from my suit and jewels. For artifacts, end game suit will have a set of Cameos for each super slayer, but you can probably get away with just one Cameo to start. For Wing armor, there are two differnt artifacts - one with +5 Throwing, other with +5 Anat. Those are both good options with good stats on them as well. I don't use many other artifacts for my throwers.
  • Since gargs short one armor slot compared to humans/elves, you need to squeeze as much as you can out of your suit. Since you will have a free hand, I suggest using potions to get up 150 Strength and Dexterity. That way you can save some stats and put some additional points into intel to increase your mana pool.

Good luck!
WOOT thank you so much! Super helpful. I got a bit of a change of plan as I managed to convince a dear friend of mine to come and play UO with me. He will be making a sampire (through that youtube series that is out). Gave him one of my retired accounts and gave him my complete sampire suit etc etc so he is all set and lvling atm. Which brings me to a bit of a dilemma. I can repurpose my sampire into a thrower but could potentially go for a PURE thrower as he will be sampire and I just have to do dmg/fight/defend us....

Cracking my head on it but thinking of making a thrower without bush and necro. Anyways back to the drawing board and do more research

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
WOOT thank you so much! Super helpful. I got a bit of a change of plan as I managed to convince a dear friend of mine to come and play UO with me. He will be making a sampire (through that youtube series that is out). Gave him one of my retired accounts and gave him my complete sampire suit etc etc so he is all set and lvling atm. Which brings me to a bit of a dilemma. I can repurpose my sampire into a thrower but could potentially go for a PURE thrower as he will be sampire and I just have to do dmg/fight/defend us....

Cracking my head on it but thinking of making a thrower without bush and necro. Anyways back to the drawing board and do more research
Make a mystic bard and just buff !

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

Why Necro? If it's for vamp form, keep in mind that doing ranged damage leaches back significantly less life compared to melee damage. I would go as far as to say it's not worth it from having tried it myself. If going the wraith thrower route, only need 20 necro to stay in wraith form. So if you're leaning toward avoiding that, it's the right decision.

Bushido is not absolutely needed for a ranged character. If you feel you won't be utilizing the abilities enough and are going to heal yourself other ways, such as with bandages, potions and Close Wounds from Chiv, then you won't need the Bushido Confidence ability and you will most likely be fine without the skill line.

Sharpside

Visitor
Oh wow. Nice confirmation about necro! Thank you that’s out and will stone it for my melee sampire.

I’m actually thinking of going 6x120 thrower… (mainly cuz I have all these on soul stones other than throwing: throwing/tact/resist/chiv/parry/anatomy. No necro/bush/healing…. Would be the lazy way. Otherwise need to reduce chiv/Anatomy and add in healing.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Oh wow. Nice confirmation about necro! Thank you that’s out and will stone it for my melee sampire.

I’m actually thinking of going 6x120 thrower… (mainly cuz I have all these on soul stones other than throwing: throwing/tact/resist/chiv/parry/anatomy. No necro/bush/healing…. Would be the lazy way. Otherwise need to reduce chiv/Anatomy and add in healing.
Drop parry add the healing you can do anything a sampire can plus you can cross heal your tanking buddy

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You don’t need Parrying and a shield will penalize you. I run the other skills you list and I have healing.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Gargs can cast healing stone with 0 skill, and when its ready, will heal for like 24 hp, good for fudge factor moments

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
One thing to know is you're getting hit a lot your sampire friend will be wanting to sit in one spot to WW and you're doing the dance

Surly

Adventurer
If I'm just looking to solo PvM and do EM Events on this char, does anything look wrong with this template?
  • Anatomy 120
  • Chivalry 120
  • Healing 120
  • Mysticism 120
  • Tactics 120
  • Throwing 120
Should I give something up for Resist?

I'm trying to make it as simple of a character to deal with as possible, without having to worry about managing a lot while playing.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If I'm just looking to solo PvM and do EM Events on this char, does anything look wrong with this template?
  • Anatomy 120
  • Chivalry 120
  • Healing 120
  • Mysticism 120
  • Tactics 120
  • Throwing 120
I'm trying to make it as simple of a character to deal with as possible, without having to worry about managing a lot while playing.
As long as all your weapons are spell channeling and you realize without focus mystic wouldn't do much damage drop mystic and add resistance and you can hang with sampire

Surly

Adventurer
As long as all your weapons are spell channeling and you realize without focus mystic wouldn't do much damage drop mystic and add resistance and you can hang with sampire
I would still need spell channeling if I drop mysticism? Sorry for the dumb question, I haven't played with mysticism on any char before.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The one problem with this build is that without at least 80 bushido he's not going to get any mana reduction on specials. I always run at least 80 bushido so I can reach the min 200 skill points needed for 5 mana reduction. If I have the gear I'll even run 90 real bushido so I can run the mastery and get buffed confidence, extra mana, and warcry.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
The one problem with this build is that without at least 80 bushido he's not going to get any mana reduction on specials. I always run at least 80 bushido so I can reach the min 200 skill points needed for 5 mana reduction. If I have the gear I'll even run 90 real bushido so I can run the mastery and get buffed confidence, extra mana, and warcry.
Spending 80 points for 5 Mana reduction looks like a waste for me, but I will give it a try one day. Interesting build sure.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Spending 80 points for 5 Mana reduction looks like a waste for me, but I will give it a try one day. Interesting build sure.
It's more than just 5 mana reduction. You get 4 seconds of increased HPR healing goodness from confidence. And if you can get 90 real skill to run the mastery it's even better. Having buffed confidence heals is super helpful for events like this. It can save you in a pinch when you are trying to get away.

Last edited:

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Pound for pound a thrower running
120 throwing
120 tactics
120 resistance
120 anatomy
120 healing
120 chivalry
Is the best melee in the game
Only advantage for sampire is WW attacks

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
120 throwing
120 tactics
120 resistance
120 anatomy
120 healing
120 chivalry
I would say having parry and bushido gives Sampires a huge advantage over a thrower. I run a Sampire with a couple of throwers in tow. My Sampire will outlive any of my throwers easily.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I would say having parry and bushido gives Sampires a huge advantage over a thrower. I run a Sampire with a couple of throwers in tow. My Sampire will outlive any of my throwers easily.
Having a character in tow is not playing said character but i understand your belief

Surly

Adventurer
120 throwing
120 tactics
120 resistance
120 anatomy
120 healing
120 chivalry
I'm struggling to find info on garg armor for this build. Any recs?

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I use only legendary 10 stam 10 mana pieces if possible 8/8 otherwise not even all stone/plate my slayers not 100 damage because i use Consecrate weapon