• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thoughts on playable races

If a new race or races could be added to UO what would you like to see?

• Total voters

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IF the Devs were so inclined to add another or maybe some more playable races which ones? What would you want to see? What would fit in Ultima World?
Obviously Orcs jump to mind along with Goblins. Dwarves and Bobbits might be a welcome addition. The Ultima Series had a race called Fuzzies, that could be an interesting new addition.
I know some people role-play (or used to) Drow or dark Elves. While other role play Liches which could also be an interesting addition. This could be another idea for a new race. I'd like to hear what others think. World of Warcraft has FOURTEEN playable races. :eek2:
We're older and have three. :lame: So if we could add a new race or races what would you like to see, And why? Vote and talk about your choice in the comments.

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted for imps because of the possibility of imp/goblin warfare.

I did not vote for liches because I would not wish this hell upon anybody else. And also because lichdom is not an ethnicity, it is a lifestyle.

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Adding them seems unlikely and a balance nightmare, but if it were to happen, Meer and Juka would get my vote. Then maybe Dwarves with the Mountain-folk lore from Ultima Underworld. Bobbits only as a joke or npc monster.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Adding them seems unlikely and a balance nightmare, but if it were to happen, Meer and Juka would get my vote. Then maybe Dwarves with the Mountain-folk lore from Ultima Underworld. Bobbits only as a joke or npc monster.
Wow! I feel stupid! I didn't even think of the Meer and the Juka races. Those would be cool additions! If WoW can handle 14 why can't we? We're older than WoW!

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Wow! I feel stupid! I didn't even think of the Meer and the Juka races. Those would be cool additions! If WoW can handle 14 why can't we? We're older than WoW!
Add Ophidians and Terathans? They're races (of sorts) as are Meer and Juka. I'd go for Meer/Juka over Ophid/Terathan races if given a choice.

Kuru

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know this is standard for pop culture fantasy, but I feel like we are using the work “race” pretty loosely here. If we are gonna start throwing in beast folk maybe “playable species, subspecies, breed, etc..”

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No new races necessary. This aspect of the game would be better left as is.
I agree. While the innate ability of a new race could be cool, I don't think the game needs another one. Given the balancing issues and art that it would require I think that if there were to be a new race it would have to be on NL but given that we would eventually transfer that char to another shard I feel like it's probably not likely.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just give up on the CC in EC you have Human, elf, Meer, Vampire , Orc, Undead there is like 20 faces including races for Humans and Elf's just one more reason the EC is nicer. Heck at the last M&G they said they use the EC more.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I personally was hoping for a Griffin... in the game if we are adding monsters... that would be awesome... and I'd like it to be TAMABLE... a griffin mount would be amazing... but that's me. I would like to see a Mimic... Mindflayers... Driders... would be among many of my choices I'd like to see in-game... Terrethans are close to Driders so I don't think it would be too hard to add them to game... and the maddening horrors are close to Mindflayers so again... not too hard to add if they wanted and while they are at it maybe they could add a Manticore... That would be fun.

I would like to see them add Juka and Meer as playable races... that would be neat. But rather doubt it would ever happen and they said NO long time ago to adding Dwarves but I would still like to see that.

As for Drow and Orcs... People have RPed those since the game began... before elves were introduced many people including myself have RPed Dark Elves... was just a matter of imagination. You can create fairly good orcish-looking characters with the EC... and when they introduced the Elves, they did give us the option to seriously be the Dark Elves we'd been playing all along... so that is already in-game.

I also like the idea of playing an Ophidian or Terrathan... I'd also like to see Ratmen and Lizardmen as playable races.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Regarding use of the term "race." This is actually a thing I've seen discussed periodically among fantasy fans because the RL usage of the term has kind of interfered with its meaning in fantasy contexts. When you think about it though it makes more sense in this context than in the real life context. In fantasy contexts we're talking about different species of beings, some of which can inter-breed and some of which cannot. IRL however the term, as used by the US Census anyway, usually means "what color is your skin and where in the world do most people who look like you come from." And most contexts I've seen it in IRL it means roughly the same thing. But in all cases the DNA is overwhelmingly the same. To my mind the term "race," which has connotations of drastic differences, is simply not appropriate in real life, but is here!

"Species" would work in fantasy contexts too but "race" just feels more appropriate to me. Less scientific sounding and more like something folks in a tavern might say when seeing something unfamiliar. As in something like...

Character one: What in the Abyss race is that guy that just walked in?
Character two: That's a bobbit. Just appeared in Eodon.
Character one: Never seen one before. Umm...He IS a guy, right?
Character two: Think so. Go buy 'im a drink and find out fer sure!

I suspect we will have to find a different term eventually, though, just because sadly its use in real life, however inappropriate, is quite settled linguistically. Usage for fictional purposes must bow to usage for RL purposes. Sad, but true.

New playable races would be a welcome addition just because people seem to like playing around with different things sometimes. New skills or new pets would work for similar reasons.

Having said that, it's clear that their creative energies, funding, and coding power is invested in a shard that doesn't exist yet.

My vote probably would be for orcs just because there's RP precedent for playing "good" or "civilized" orcs among RPers and it'd be pretty easy to imagine a set of in-game abilities and new items, using existing art, that would accompany their appearance. Also Blackthorn is our King and his past writings have referenced orcs.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Regarding use of the term "race." This is actually a thing I've seen discussed periodically among fantasy fans because the RL usage of the term has kind of interfered with its meaning in fantasy contexts. When you think about it though it makes more sense in this context than in the real life context. In fantasy contexts we're talking about different species of beings, some of which can inter-breed and some of which cannot. IRL however the term, as used by the US Census anyway, usually means "what color is your skin and where in the world do most people who look like you come from." And most contexts I've seen it in IRL it means roughly the same thing. But in all cases the DNA is overwhelmingly the same. To my mind the term "race," which has connotations of drastic differences, is simply not appropriate in real life, but is here!

"Species" would work in fantasy contexts too but "race" just feels more appropriate to me. Less scientific sounding and more like something folks in a tavern might say when seeing something unfamiliar. As in something like...

Character one: What in the Abyss race is that guy that just walked in?
Character two: That's a bobbit. Just appeared in Eodon.
Character one: Never seen one before. Umm...He IS a guy, right?
Character two: Think so. Go buy 'im a drink and find out fer sure!

I suspect we will have to find a different term eventually, though, just because sadly its use in real life, however inappropriate, is quite settled linguistically. Usage for fictional purposes must bow to usage for RL purposes. Sad, but true.

New playable races would be a welcome addition just because people seem to like playing around with different things sometimes. New skills or new pets would work for similar reasons.

Having said that, it's clear that their creative energies, funding, and coding power is invested in a shard that doesn't exist yet.

My vote probably would be for orcs just because there's RP precedent for playing "good" or "civilized" orcs among RPers and it'd be pretty easy to imagine a set of in-game abilities and new items, using existing art, that would accompany their appearance. Also Blackthorn is our King and his past writings have referenced orcs.
Race is race we are all the Human race. The fourms need updated take race out and put ancestry down. God forbid how many people think we are the only ones around with the millions of star systems out there.

But then If I was flying by and saw what the Human race did to earth. I would not want to stop by and say hi.

Give up CC we have Orcs on EC and hugs

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Race is race we are all the Human race. The fourms need updated take race out and put ancestry down. God forbid how many people think we are the only ones around with the millions of star systems out there.

But then If I was flying by and saw what the Human race did to earth. I would not want to stop by and say hi.

Give up CC we have Orcs on EC and hugs
True about the EC, it has an orc appearance option. Also a Meer and Juka appearance options and, I think, a vampire option among others.

For that matter the CC has orc helms, masks of orcish kin, those flipper thingies, and I think 1 or 2 other things I'm not thinking of. The masks even make orcs not attack you.

So if that's enough for people then we indeed already have this option. And hey, honestly, that was enough for me....Until they started in with this new shard stuff. That really raised the bar for me in terms of what we could, and perhaps should, ask for.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I think the team should stick to fixing bugs, if they can manage to do that without breaking anything else, of course there is less chance of that now that they have New Legacy to work on too....I don't want another humanish looking race like Elves, basically humans with a slightly bigger ear and hair like bundles of spaghetti, oh and a stupid range of skin colours. Gargoyles look okay but I just can't get on with playing one, it's not for me.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think the team should stick to fixing bugs, if they can manage to do that without breaking anything else, of course there is less chance of that now that they have New Legacy to work on too.... <snip> ...
Yup ... forget about the current bugs and when building NL introduce a whole brand new set of them. I kinda like that ... makes for variety in my life.

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I’m hoping NL is a chance to fix some bugs but yeah if they are introducing new systems and stuff, there is definitely a possibility of some new bugs to enjoy.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
We'll see if provo gets fixed for wildfire i am tolerant of old spaghetti code bugs but with the treasures of being part of the new static event tool there's no excuse

wingnut

Adventurer
IF the Devs were so inclined to add another or maybe some more playable races which ones? What would you want to see? What would fit in Ultima World?
Obviously Orcs jump to mind along with Goblins. Dwarves and Bobbits might be a welcome addition. The Ultima Series had a race called Fuzzies, that could be an interesting new addition.
I know some people role-play (or used to) Drow or dark Elves. While other role play Liches which could also be an interesting addition. This could be another idea for a new race. I'd like to hear what others think. World of Warcraft has FOURTEEN playable races. :eek2:
We're older and have three. :lame: So if we could add a new race or races what would you like to see, And why? Vote and talk about your choice in the comments.
Man you are one optimistic person if you think UO will ever add a new playable race. Look how much work it is to keep multiple armor sets and multiple types or ranges weapons in game. They don't have enough developers for the stuff they already have, much less for another new race. It would be cool, but their team is so small I don't think this is even possible for them anymore.