• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

This should be interesting to everyone:

S

SUPRsalad

So, they finally, after five or more years, let someone update the information in regard to uo.cfg settings. Some of my associates may remember me walking you through some of these settings in regard to the 'cachesize' there is now updated info also for the 'housing cachesize' . For best pvp results, pay close attention to the cachesize function.

http://uo.stratics.com/php-bin/show_content.php?content=31210

edit: actually, if you can't figure it out, just study the following:

In order to edit your uo.cfg file, locate the appropriate character's directory found at C:\Documents and Settings\Your windows login\My Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Legacy\User Data\Your UO account\Your shard\Your character name\ Right-click on the uo.cfg file within that directory. When the "Open With" dialogue appears, choose a text editor, such as Notepad or Wordpad for use in editing the file.
There are still master copies of both the uo.cfg and the uo.macros2D.txt file in the UO program folder. Whenever the client can't find a personalized copy of either of the 2 files, it will make a copy of these files into the folders located in 'my documents'. That means having copying pre-configured UO.cfg and macros2d.txt files in the UO program folder will allow new characters to use these pre-configured settings and macros.

S

SUPRsalad

Just to clarify, this is the part you should pay attention to:

CacheSize=[#]

Sets the size of a UO only hard drive cache in megabytes. Although the default setting on this is 25 the recommended setting is 1024 or 2x your RAM MB), whichever is the smaller.
edit: since I'm guessing most people that pvp run more than 500mb of ram, 1024 is your magic number.
I ran 4gigs, and always used the 1024 setting and it IS noticeably faster.
Edit: not 'faster' per se, but 'less chop' = 'basically faster'

SUPR members: if you can't figure this out, I'll gladly get in vent and walk you through it.

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Gemma , this is very interesting... I saved all the text and put it on my flash drive. So when I get my new machine this will go into action , I'm very interested on how the performance will be enhanced :D

SetItOff

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
very interesting i never took the time to look at any of the cfg commands, but now that i know it is a big deal on peformance i may now.

thanks for the info gemma

kudos to you:mf_prop:

S

SUPRsalad

It shouldn't make a HUGE noticeable difference, but when chasing, or being chased, every little bit helps.

The thing is, and this should come as no shock, they haven't updated the .cfg file since server birth. Basically what that means, is that uo.cfg was geared toward the computers that were available at the time. (Pentiums/Pentium pros)
with less than 256mb ram. Basically, the machines most of us are running now, are better than the machines they BUILT this game on, and your .cfg should reflect this. In simple terms, its the amount of your system memory the game is 'aloud' to use up before it 'dumps' and starts over, hence, the consistent 'chop' you see.
So, basically, you are increasing the amount of time in-between 'chops'.