• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

This is what UO is Like. What should it be.

• Thread starter RavenWinterHawk
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
R

RavenWinterHawk

For some fun.
Everyone is to intense around here (blanket statement).

UO for me now, as I debate yet another closing...

Check vendor
Hmm. Some stuff sold.
Hmm.
Log out.

Perhaps we could create an ongoing adventure. Feel free to bring in your characture.

Jacob Sacrifce reached for his bow. He looked it over and felt satisfied in its properties. He heard there was a strange presents in the mountains outside of Vesper. He summoned his charger and galloped off.

Next

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some Community Observations:

Isn't that what a roleplaying game is about? Creating ongoing adventures? To be honest, to me it seems that only few players have the ideas or are willing to use their fantasy and create an adventure in game. They do what the game offers them, they consume it, and if they consumed it they get bored. Is it the typical TV society?

I notice this passiveness whenever I try to organize an event for the community. There are different kinds of players:

• Those who just run along and consume (about 40%).
  • Those who don't even bother to take a closer look at what is offered, and rather continue to count their gold or do their 5000th peerless run (50%).
  • Those who criticize everything without ever trying to make it better (6%).
  • Those who try to contribute but don't have the time (3.9%)
  • Those who actually contribute something and come up with own ideas (0.1%)

While we all keep complaining about too few GM-run events, keep complaining about the quality of those events whenever we get one, keep complaining about getting no rewards, keep complaining about rewards whenever we get them, we hardly bother to contribute the tiniest little thing to the community.

But, the community is what this game is all about. UO isn't a game where your only goal is to make gold or kill another player. Those can be goals too, but they are secondary. People have changed their focus and priorities, and thus the game has changed, too. Don't only blame EA when this game loses players! Think about what YOU have contributed to build a community!

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Meanwhile, Advance Sergeant Carl Harris, leader of the attack squadron now in orbit over Skylon 4, had more important things to think about...

J/K :D I beg your pardon Ravenhawk, I suddenly remembered a college joke about people having vastly differing viewpoints and couldn't resist :p

Right, getting back on track:

Woken by the sound of a galloping horse's cloven feet on the cobblestones, Carlis rose from his bed and rubbed the sleep from his eyes. As the fog of sleep clears from his mind, a realization hit him - "Oh no, I'm late!" he exclaimed.

He quickly slipped on his robe and apron, then exited his room. He barely registered the innkeeper behind the counter as he hurried out of the inn.

The inn has been Carlis' home for the past 2 months. His affluent uncle had arranged for Carlis' lodgings at the inn and also his apprenticeship with the local tailor.

R

RavenWinterHawk

Jacob tied his horse down. He walked powerfully into the Inn. "Carlis you slug. (he lauged) It's time." Carlis wiped the milk from his face. "Jacob, the world can wait for breakfast. Eat." Jacob joined him. "Quickly. I hope to gain riders.", Jacob said with food in his mouth.

S

Salty Pete

Next time I get a day off I'll rally the troops for "an angry beggar" attack on Atlantic.

R

RenaLynne

For some fun.
Everyone is to intense around here (blanket statement).

UO for me now, as I debate yet another closing...

Check vendor
Hmm. Some stuff sold.
Hmm.
Log out.

Perhaps we could create an ongoing adventure. Feel free to bring in your characture.

Jacob Sacrifce reached for his bow. He looked it over and felt satisfied in its properties. He heard there was a strange presents in the mountains outside of Vesper. He summoned his charger and galloped off.

Next
Take a break maybe? Ive been thinking about that lately, I feel the same.

R

RavenWinterHawk

Take a break maybe? Ive been thinking about that lately, I feel the same.
I hear ya. Im moving my expansion back to atlantic. Guess Im contracting. I have 1 house left on origin im going to empty and let fall. Maybe this weekend.

I decided, with xsharding, and the tons of tokens around. Why keep accounts I dont need. Ill just considering xsharding from atlantic, to where the fun might be.

Anyone know where the fun might be.

Any asian shards doing an event.

S

Sebrina

I have to agree with Hawkeye there in all of his statements. I too go through stages when I'm limited on time and only check or restock vendors. Yet, I do keep up with my shard board and communities of the shard to network and keep informed of the calendar of events.

-And roleplay is the key most of the time. I'll jump on my pipe smoking old Axer who moves a bit slow and will sit down for a while to tell a tale to a stranger. (make a new contact) Easily done with a few speach macros.

*puffs on pipe*
*blows smoke ring*
*taps pipe on heal*
*reaches into pack for pipe-weed*
*lights pipe*
*begins shapening axe*
-and others

Or try roleplaying an orc. That will get you plenty of laughs and strange reactions.

Alot of people are looking for the lead and are not sure enough of themselves to Roleplay characters, so they simply rely on the mechanics of the game for fun. (The fun is using those mechanics as a tool for the Roleplay.)

After all, the grandfather of most roleplaying games is "Dungeons and Dragons," the mechanics of which are paper, pencil, and dice. Yet, fantastic characters were created and played there and in this game as well.

This is what it should be for more people.

"All the world is a stage..." Shakespeare

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Carlis grins, "I said eat, not choke yourself, my friend."
"So, you think we need a bigger party? Does this change in plans mean that you have learned something new about the strange presense in the mountains?"

Although apprenticed to a tailor, Carlis knows his true calling is in the magical arts. An apprentice earns little, if at all. He has been using the meager tailoring skills he learned to craft skullcaps in his spare time and selling them to the local provisioners.

The Virtues alone know that he needs the gold to purchase reagents required for his spellcasting.

So when Jacob expressed a desire to journey out to the mountains and investigate the strange happenings, Carlis readily agreed to join him. Any loot they chance upon would greatly help his deflated coin purse. Even if not, Carlis is confident that he can make some rudimentry leather amour from the hides of the animals they hunt on the way. He canl bring these back and sell them to the armourer.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, I suffer UO burnouts from time to time. Especially during the lull after huge events.

To be honest, I quite enjoy that lull. Allows me to dig out some old games to play. The old Ultimas, FF7/8, Civ etc. I don't even bother about my vendors much, just log in perhaps once a week and make sure they have enough funds to last a couple of months.

Once I have taken enough of a break, I'll start to miss UO and start playing again :) No other game has thus enraptured me for 11 years like UO has.

C

Coppelia

I notice this passiveness whenever I try to organize an event for the community. There are different kinds of players:

• Those who just run along and consume (about 40%).
  • Those who don't even bother to take a closer look at what is offered, and rather continue to count their gold or do their 5000th peerless run (50%).
  • Those who criticize everything without ever trying to make it better (6%).
  • Those who try to contribute but don't have the time (3.9%)
  • Those who actually contribute something and come up with own ideas (0.1%)
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

R

RavenWinterHawk

"Aye. What have I not heard. Our people have a tendancy to state everything as fact. Imagined, overheard, or fabricated. Our nature, I guess. But the theme rings true. Some sort of movement by a large group in and out of the mountain. No one can find the opening. The only clues are sounds. Magic, I'm sure. The trails are always wipped clean."

Jacob chews the rest of his food and slaps Carlis' on the back. "My friend, we may need your magic. I hope you progressed.", he laughs. Jacob thinks to himself, "My friend I deeply hope you progressed. The magic there is dangerous and strong." Jacob laughed as they approach Carlis' horse. "You might want to conjur a spell to beef up your mount. I fear the wind may knock you both over."

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.
And 57.2 percent are made 5 mins later. :D

Of course, we still have an issue regarding the remaining 0.1%...

Hawkeye_Pike's estimates may not be that far off the mark though. We all know that only the more vocal people are heard, and they do not represent the actual demographics. But looking at the amount of complaints, calls of nerfing, negativity, griefing etc on the boards, there is a noticeable lack of constructive posts.

S

Sir Stain

I do agree with your statement. I have been playing since there was only Fellucia. Many days I do the same thing. Log on, Look around. Check vendors. I also can see clearly that the interest in the game is being lost due to the lack of players. When EA pulls the plug because of loss money. Enough said!

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Aye. What have I not heard. Our people have a tendancy to state everything as fact. Imagined, overheard, or fabricated. Our nature, I guess. But the theme rings true. Some sort of movement by a large group in and out of the mountain. No one can find the opening. The only clues are sounds. Magic, I'm sure. The trails are always wipped clean."

Jacob chews the rest of his food and slaps Carlis' on the back. "My friend, we may need your magic. I hope you progressed.", he laughs. Jacob thinks to himself, "My friend I deeply hope you progressed. The magic there is dangerous and strong." Jacob laughed as they approach Carlis' horse. "You might want to conjur a spell to beef up your mount. I fear the wind may knock you both over."
Carlis turns his head towards Jacob,

"Beef up Smith? Very well, it won't last long, but I need a warm up. I have heard from the Mages Guild that for some mystical reasons, their magic always feel stronger after they cast their first spell upon waking up. They theorize that it has got to do with something called GarantiertesGewinnSystem."

Carlis shrugs and says "Sound like some foreign language to me."

With that, he continues towards Smith and finally stops a couple of paces away from the chestnut brown stallion. He raises his hands and began to trace mystical symbols with his fingers. As glowing magical energies gather in his fingerstips, Carlis triggers the spell with words of magic.

"Rel Sanct!"

Although Carlis did not shout, those words were empowered by magic and pierced through the cobbled streete as if he was yelling.

Thrusting his open palms towards Smith, magical energies flows into the animal. Muscles on the horse bulges as Smith turns to look at Carlis with noticeably more intelligent eyes.

Carlis turns around to face Jacob and smiles at him, "While I am no Grandmaster mage, I have progressed and learned much since my travels to New Haven. Let's just say I know enough to be dangerous." Walking backwards to Smith, Carlis bows and with a flourish, mounts the stallion with one smooth motion.

Mounted on his stallion, Carlis looks into the distance and adds "And Jacob, tis true about what you say about the nature of people. However, we must not be discouraged. The disinformed needs only to be informed, heresay can be debunked. All who lives in these lands have a love for it and sometimes, their love blinds them. We need only to rekindle their zest and offer them truthful advice."

"Enough of that, you coming? Giddyap!"

R

RavenWinterHawk

Carlis turns his head towards Jacob,

"Beef up Smith? Very well, it won't last long, but I need a warm up. I have heard from the Mages Guild that for some mystical reasons, their magic always feel stronger after they cast their first spell upon waking up. They theorize that it has got to do with something called GarantiertesGewinnSystem."

Carlis shrugs and says "Sound like some foreign language to me."

With that, he continues towards Smith and finally stops a couple of paces away from the chestnut brown stallion. He raises his hands and began to trace mystical symbols with his fingers. As glowing magical energies gather in his fingerstips, Carlis triggers the spell with words of magic.

"Rel Sanct!"

Although Carlis did not shout, those words were empowered by magic and pierced through the cobbled streete as if he was yelling.

Thrusting his open palms towards Smith, magical energies flows into the animal. Muscles on the horse bulges as Smith turns to look at Carlis with noticeably more intelligent eyes.

Carlis turns around to face Jacob and smiles at him, "While I am no Grandmaster mage, I have progressed and learned much since my travels to New Haven. Let's just say I know enough to be dangerous." Walking backwards to Smith, Carlis bows and with a flourish, mounts the stallion with one smooth motion.

Mounted on his stallion, Carlis looks into the distance and adds "And Jacob, tis true about what you say about the nature of people. However, we must not be discouraged. The disinformed needs only to be informed, heresay can be debunked. All who lives in these lands have a love for it and sometimes, their love blinds them. We need only to rekindle their zest and offer them truthful advice."

"Enough of that, you coming? Giddyap!"
Jacob smiled and recognized his progression in magic. He also noticed the sausage links hanging around the neck of his horse. Rel Sanct was a nice little spell. "Rel Sanct, In Lor. Yeah but do you know any of those four word spells.", he joked.

He quickly caught up to Carlis and they traveled a good distance. They passed time talking as friends do, while, in the back of their head, they waited for future EVENTS to unfold. "Carlis, I thought more people would come out to join us. Something isn't right. I just can't place it right now.", he said while entertaining other thoughts. "I wonder if misinformation is being used to distract, perhaps pacify us, while an army forms.", he said, not expecting an answer at this point. "What do you know of you magic and transformation spells.", he inquired.

Before Carlis could answer, he abruptly grabbed his friend's arm. He whispered, "I knew it, something is right. Move with me off the trail."

They quickly faded into the Vesper brush and tree line. "I know this area as well as I know my reflection. The lines are wrong. Everything is silent.", Jacob said to Carlis while grinding his teeth. "What can you cast up ahead, to disturb that whole are by the bend we would have trotted up on?", he asked.

Jacob sank 6 arrows into the ground in front of him as Carlis pondered his request. "I take it - it's times for you to show off, my friend.", Jacob said confidently and readied both his mace and bow.