• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

This...is what I'm looking forward too...

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run noscript and as a policy do not enable sites unless it is very very imperative for me to do so.

So of course I did not get to see the real product but it appears to be a system that audio output to the user and hand/gesture input to the control device.

There are some devices that go a step(s) further, they are based on the recent determination that scalp (aka rest on your head) sensors can pick up enough of your brain waves to proved satisfactory input controls.

In one experiment, well lets start off with the base experiment.

A Rhesus monkey has a sensor array implanted in her brain. The device is connected to a remote arm. The Remote arm can deliver treats/foods.

Now initially and the context of the experiment was that the Monkey would move an arm, the sensors would pick that up and translate that into action of the Mechanical arm.

Everyone was happy when this worked. They went away and partied, wrote papers and were congratulating themselves.

BUT THEN they returned to the Lab and .... well their world was ROCKED.

The Monkey was no longer moving her arm to control the mechanical arm. She was doing it with thought alone.

Now the new experiment and with a human, the newer devices do not need implants. They currently have visual/audio feedback systems that are controlling things on the screen through thought alone.

Now that is only a part of what I am waiting for. :)

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I run noscript and as a policy do not enable sites unless it is very very imperative for me to do so.

So of course I did not get to see the real product but it appears to be a system that audio output to the user and hand/gesture input to the control device.

There are some devices that go a step(s) further, they are based on the recent determination that scalp (aka rest on your head) sensors can pick up enough of your brain waves to proved satisfactory input controls.

In one experiment, well lets start off with the base experiment.

A Rhesus monkey has a sensor array implanted in her brain. The device is connected to a remote arm. The Remote arm can deliver treats/foods.

Now initially and the context of the experiment was that the Monkey would move an arm, the sensors would pick that up and translate that into action of the Mechanical arm.

Everyone was happy when this worked. They went away and partied, wrote papers and were congratulating themselves.

BUT THEN they returned to the Lab and .... well their world was ROCKED.

The Monkey was no longer moving her arm to control the mechanical arm. She was doing it with thought alone.

Now the new experiment and with a human, the newer devices do not need implants. They currently have visual/audio feedback systems that are controlling things on the screen through thought alone.

Now that is only a part of what I am waiting for. :)
Actually it's a control set up based on thought input through scanning of electrical signals of the brain. Like you were talking about with the monkey...That site is a company that is doing just what your talking about....They were at E-3 this past time and demo'ed a game that used thoughts as the input hand motions and what not were done by the players to stimulate the brain to cause the signals. Technically with practice you wouldn't need to use movements at all...They are also working on a line of motorized wheel chairs for quadriplegics that use facial movements translated by their headset to steer and move them.

That Link is to the video of IGN's interview with them at E-3 that they have on their site. They are hoping for a late 2008 early 2009 release for their game.....

Another thing I'm dying to try is what Sony is working on....they have patents for an early version of a device that will actually implant images and information directly into the brain...kinda like the Matrix without all the funky jacks all over your body....

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am in, and will be in line for these kinds of devices.

They will ultimately shape the way we live in this century.