• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] This is not funny!

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont complain too often about fishing on these forums but what just has happened shouldnt happen to any fisher.
I had a very hopefull order for the fishmongers:
- 20 fred lobsters
- 10 crusty lobsters
- 15 black seabass
- 20 shad
- 20 bluegill sunfish
- 20 darkfish
'WOW!' I thought. 'A rating of 210.' I was happy about an order which is meant to be eligible for a top reward. I filled that order and went out to deliver it. My reward for that one was ....

*TADAAA*

A junk proof hook! Yes ... the same hook, that you can get from 1-2 line orders.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How does one even figure out the rating of an order? I've been trying to figure that out for awhile now...

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont complain too often about fishing on these forums but what just has happened shouldnt happen to any fisher.
- 20 fred lobsters
- 10 crusty lobsters
- 15 black seabass
- 20 shad
- 20 bluegill sunfish
- 20 darkfish
'WOW!' I thought. 'A rating of 210.' I was happy about an order which is meant to be eligible for a top reward. I filled that order and went out to deliver it. My reward for that one was ....

*TADAAA*

A junk proof hook! Yes ... the same hook, that you can get from 1-2 line orders.
i had a 230 tonight and got 100 use black marlin bait.

It's 1x for coastal 2x for deep sea and crab/lobster and 3x for dungeon. so 1 line 20 count infernal tuna would be 60 points.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- 20 fred lobsters
- 10 crusty lobsters
- 15 black seabass
- 20 shad
- 20 bluegill sunfish
- 20 darkfish

*TADAAA*

I had the same reward from a 210 point turn in. I think the junk-proof hooks should have 50 base charges plus additional charges equal to the number of points the quest was worth. In my case 50 + 210 uses.

I have been doing quests pretty much non stop since the publish and have not really received very many of the new rewards. Still mostly tons of normal bait.

I can kind of see where fishing is going for me. I have my 120. I have most of the rare and legendary fish now. The pies are a nice step in the right direction for food but several of the bonuses are way too little and all of them too short of a buff. If the Charybdis encounter is going to be another scalis drop rate, I probably wont stay with it once I catch all the legendary fish. The new fish trophies are all the same re-hued graphic btw and you cant really see the seeker fish all that well. :( But I think I got my money's worth out of that expansion so I cant be too disappointed.

I'd really like to see the pies get a buff considering their cost and difficulty to make. The main reward in quests are the baits and I'd like to see that as more of the focus of the quests aside from all the extra stuff they are adding in. It would be nice to add some stat buffs (+STR, INT, DEX/HP, MP, STM) added. Something along the lines of a 3 or 4 mod buff instead of just one.

I'm not sure of the cooking normal/exceptional chance, if there is one (I haven't made a lot of pies), but please increase the buff duration from 5 min to 30 min and a 5% (or less) chance of and exceptional pie that would last an hour and maybe have and extra or slightly increased buffs. Just keep buffing them up until you see everyone scarfing down a pie before an em event or anytime they are going to a fight. Then you know you got it right.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How does one even figure out the rating of an order? I've been trying to figure that out for awhile now...
Simple:

Take each line of the quest:

Step One
If shallow water fish, X = 1
If Deep water, Crab or Lobster, X=2
If Dungeon, X=3

Step Two
Multiply X by the number of fish required, to get the point value for that line

Step Three:
Repeat steps 1 & 2 for each line of the quest, then add all the line results together, for the total point value.

If the reward is a bait, the number of bait uses = (total from step 3)/2, rounded down, and capped at 100.

That's the official system, according to the Devs that programmed it.

Pinco's point system assumes you are going to get bait, and factors the "divide by 2" into the point system in Step One, but that can lead to rounding errors and confusion with quests that would give 100-point baits after rounding, despite being very different in actual value.

Functionally, both work about the same way (one's just the other divided by two), but we really need to use only one system (And the dev system is the official numbers, so it gets my vote). Do we really need to repeat the folly of the UOAM/THB/Goodman conflicting map systems of 10 years ago?

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Simple:

Take each line of the quest:

Step One
If shallow water fish, X = 1
If Deep water, Crab or Lobster, X=2
If Dungeon, X=3

Step Two
Multiply X by the number of fish required, to get the point value for that line

Step Three:
Repeat steps 1 & 2 for each line of the quest, then add all the line results together, for the total point value.

If the reward is a bait, the number of bait uses = (total from step 3)/2, rounded down, and capped at 100.

That's the official system, according to the Devs that programmed it.

Pinco's point system assumes you are going to get bait, and factors the "divide by 2" into the point system in Step One, but that can lead to rounding errors and confusion with quests that would give 100-point baits after rounding, despite being very different in actual value.

Functionally, both work about the same way (one's just the other divided by two), but we really need to use only one system (And the dev system is the official numbers, so it gets my vote). Do we really need to repeat the folly of the UOAM/THB/Goodman conflicting map systems of 10 years ago?
In my system there is no possibility to get errors from rounding because so it's absolutely the same thing.
if you have 15 fish at 0.5 = 7.5 points
if you do the same with the other method: (15 * 1) /2 = 7.5
so what's the difference?

As I said time ago, we urgently need a math forum with the math ABC rules sticky to the top :p

M

Myna

i vote for pinco ... i give a ... to the devs numbers

why?

just simple .... we need a man like pinco to make such a great UI ... the dev with a lot more people isnt be able to do it.

and second ... its implemented in pincos UI already ... so why change it? i dont calculate it, just look at pincos number in the UI and i am fine

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the explanation Basara!

I remember reading something about point values of fish awhile back, but I was never really able to follow what everyone was talking about. :)

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was a lot of confusion about for a longer time. Even the devs were not able to fully follow our discussions about ratings. That was, why it took so long to track down the weighting bug of the custodeans.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Pinco - Your system:

You use the decimals for each fish type, then round down at the end for the actual bait count number.
There is where errors can creep in, not from your implementation, but from persons not using your math properly (in other words, outside your UI, the danger is from people using your system improperly, not the system itself).

1. There's too many people in the world without the ability to reliably do 4th grade math (some with college degrees!), and can fail to carry over the 1 or 2 from adding together 2-5 ".5"s. Frankly, adding even the most simple decimals or fractions terrify the hell out of some of them.

2. Similarly, they could round up or down the ".5"s before adding, throwing off the numbers. It doesn't help that for the last 25-30 years, there's been too much emphasis in teaching "estimation" and not enough on actually learning the math - which is why so many college students have to take remedial math and algebra courses despite having taken and passed such classes in High school (take it from someone who actually took courses on the current "proper" ways to teach elementary & middle school math - and had to help my fellow students in the classes with their math homework!).

3. Lastly, the fractions only come into play with baits, and with the 100 point bait cap (if it's still in place), trying to force the system to parallel the bait count only introduces a confusion factor when someone gets a quest whose reward is a 100-count bait.

We don't NEED to have two different counting systems, and the devs have given us the actual math from the "point" side of things.