• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

This explains a lot...

G

Two stories about EA on the BBC news website today..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7199881.stm

"Electronic Arts is to release a free online version of the popular Battlefield game to be supported by adverts and micro payments. The PC game, Battlefield Heroes, will be available only online later this year, and will not be sold in shops. The move marks EA's first major attempt to tap into new sources of ad-driven revenue in Western markets. "

and

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7074716.stm

"US games giant Electronic Arts (EA) is to close one of its development sites in the UK as it looks to trim costs. About 350 jobs will go across the firm worldwide, including the closure of its offices at Chertsey in Surrey. EA saw a loss of $195m (£93.6m) in the three months to the end of September against a $22m profit a year ago, which it said was down to accounting changes."

Make of that what you will, with the way TSO is heading. Discuss.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

EA saw a loss of $195m (£93.6m) in the three months to the end of September against a $22m profit a year ago, which it said was down to accounting changes."

[/ QUOTE ]

Accounting changes? Love it. Sounds like the accounting department has all the creative juice.

The firm has a free version of its Fifa game in South Korea, earning more than $1m a month through in-game sales. This kernal of info is VERY interesting.

Thanks for sharing AJ. Sad to read of 350 folks losing their jobs, to say the least about these stories.

G

Personally I don't think its relevant to TSO/EAland.

They also announced opening a $20 million Korean studio this year.
Other recent news includes acquisitions they paid several hundred million for.

And are those #'s only for the UK? They seem a bit low...
I'll look more myself when I have more time after work.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

I think that the news provides food for thought. That EA is excited about, and has had some success in the first foray, providing free gaming that taps into ad-driven revenue is very elucidating, IMO. And, I think that it is relevant to TSO/EALand.

G

<blockquote><hr>

AJ, what does it explain?

[/ QUOTE ]

What Dali said really.

EA can see benefits in offering 'free' games, supported by advertising. They've been doing it for ages with Pogo, where the advertising revenue from companies putting their product in your face makes them more money than it costs to provide the service free. Isn't that also the point of Stratics, with the annoying adverts at the top of the screen, making the service free unless you choose to pay to get rid of the adverts (like Pogo)?

I would almost be willing to be this is exactly what will happen with "EA-Land" for free accounts, and a large part of the future of this... thing... that TSO turned in to.

"Entering property... please wait 15 seconds and stare at this annoying advertisment in the hope of brainwashing you into buying some crap product that you really don't actually need or want".

G

ah, ok. thanks for the clarification, that makes more sense and I can see it going there. I think a lot of consumers understand if they don't want ads to pay for it, so it is a trade off. What irritates me is when you ARE paying for it and are bothered by annoying ads. AOL is a perfect example. You pay for AOL and you get more ads from them than any other email. If EALand goes that way I would have a real problem. You get what you pay for.