• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

This boards is almost ALWAYS off topic, IMO

• Thread starter ShaunOfPac
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
S

ShaunOfPac

Everytime I come to check the board, all I ever see is posts of people complaining. "Oh this guy speedhacks," or "OMG hes scripting EA fix it." I believe this board should be about positive gameplay experiences and good suggestions for future development of the game. If you occupy your time crying about a videogame, you should probably stop playing to be honest. I say if you want to pancake and moan, take it to Spiels & Rants, if they even still have it on Stratics. If not, petition to make it so you can all cry on each others shoulders.

Just my 2 cents.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG another post about people complaining...j/k
I agree actually, it's getting old all the crying, and smacktalking, but hey i find it funny atleast :)

My favorite reading is all the nerf this, nerf that stories.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hehe, yea its become a ritual for me to check uhall while thinking, lets see what everyone is complaining about today.

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the place for general discussion about Ultima Online gameplay, development issues, and related Ultima Online issues.
Speedhacking and scripting are development issues. So long as they exist, then they're valid topics of discussion.

In fact even if speedhacking and scripting were completely fixed, they would still be valid topics of discussion (ie "thanks for fixing scripting, devs!")

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everytime I come to check the board, all I ever see is posts of people complaining. "Oh this guy speedhacks," or "OMG hes scripting EA fix it." I believe this board should be about positive gameplay experiences and good suggestions for future development of the game. If you occupy your time crying about a videogame, you should probably stop playing to be honest. I say if you want to pancake and moan, take it to Spiels & Rants, if they even still have it on Stratics. If not, petition to make it so you can all cry on each others shoulders.

Just my 2 cents.
Didn't you create a rather large thread a couple weeks back essentially, to use your word, crying about how PvP is dead since Tram/Fel split?

I thought it was a good post, but seriously, you and pretty much everyone here have "cried" about a lot of things, if you want to take a condescending view of whenever someone expresses a negative opinion. And you know positive gameplay changes DO come from complaints. Saying "I LOVE THIS GAME, IT'S DA GREATEST" doesn't fuel very much creative energy to change things for the better now does it?

If you believe negative commentary is pointless, you must have missed all the changes to virtually every MMO ever made. Most of them... WOW would be the one I know best... respond almost entirely to complaints. Be it "I'm bored, there's nothing to do now that I got all my raid gear" (expansion then adds more gear to the endgame) to "my class is pointless" to "levelling takes too long" to "40 man raids suck, give us smaller ones" to "there should be rewards for PvP, not just raiding." Every major change to the game since launch came from a so called whine.

What *I* would suggest, is that if it somehow upsets your chi to read negative comments, quit reading game forums.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Just my 2 cents.
Not to worry, they do a fine job at moving my non-rants over to the SnR forum...la

S

ShaunOfPac

Didn't you create a rather large thread a couple weeks back essentially, to use your word, crying about how PvP is dead since Tram/Fel split?

I thought it was a good post, but seriously, you and pretty much everyone here have "cried" about a lot of things, if you want to take a condescending view of whenever someone expresses a negative opinion. And you know positive gameplay changes DO come from complaints. Saying "I LOVE THIS GAME, IT'S DA GREATEST" doesn't fuel very much creative energy to change things for the better now does it?

If you believe negative commentary is pointless, you must have missed all the changes to virtually every MMO ever made. Most of them... WOW would be the one I know best... respond almost entirely to complaints. Be it "I'm bored, there's nothing to do now that I got all my raid gear" (expansion then adds more gear to the endgame) to "my class is pointless" to "levelling takes too long" to "40 man raids suck, give us smaller ones" to "there should be rewards for PvP, not just raiding." Every major change to the game since launch came from a so called whine.

What *I* would suggest, is that if it somehow upsets your chi to read negative comments, quit reading game forums.

Actually that post was a proposal to EA, in hopes that somehow they might bring a Pre-AoS shard back onto OSI servers. I explained why it would be beneficial to them and how to go about it (I still have my original UO and T2A CD's). I did in fact explain the route the game has taken to subjugate PvP'ers (Which all started when Richard Garriot left OSI) and how many players have quit the game solely based on OSI's complete disregard for their playstyle. I did not come here crying "OMG OSI sux AoS sux bring back and T2A shard you lazy dev's", I presented a pretty logical idea.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And who determines what is OT? in a free-for-all forum. I mean, come on guys, I would say that we stay close to the subject at hand, for the most part, without a horrible amount of digression... I mean, reminds me of the time back in '62....*goes off into a ramble*

:) :p

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually that post was a proposal to EA, in hopes that somehow they might bring a Pre-AoS shard back onto OSI servers. I explained why it would be beneficial to them and how to go about it (I still have my original UO and T2A CD's). I did in fact explain the route the game has taken to subjugate PvP'ers (Which all started when Richard Garriot left OSI) and how many players have quit the game solely based on OSI's complete disregard for their playstyle. I did not come here crying "OMG OSI sux AoS sux bring back and T2A shard you lazy dev's", I presented a pretty logical idea.
Know what dude?

I'd bet you money EA responds LESS to

Do x, it would help the game!

than it does to:

OMG THIS IS LOSING/WILL LOSE/HAS LOST US SUBSCRIPTIONS!!!!!!111!!

Hey I'm all for the positivity, but I see no evidence that positivity is what drives business models. Except Progressive. lol. On a serious n ote I have seen HUGE, well thought out, fantastically reasoned proposals for changes on game forums throughout the years. Some were literally fantastic.

They were universally ignored. What got worked on in game was unerringly the stuff that tons of players were muttering and "whining" about on a daily basis. Rather than the once-in-awhile shining, well spoken proposals for positive changes.

P.S. Shaun my post was not an attack on your thread. As I stated, I liked it and it spawned a great discussion. Your post being "crappy" or "illogical" was not at all my point. My point was someone who didn't like your point would come along and call it a "whine" because a lot of it was built around you comparing the present to the past, with the past being treated favorably. Thus the sort of thing that people around game forums could/would call a whine... learn2play.. all that good stuff.

S

ShaunOfPac

Aren't we due for one soon about how bunnies should be unattackable, because they're cute? :)
My favorite was the hundreds of OMG NERF GREATER DRAGS IN PvP!!! Seriously, how hard is it to outrun a greater drag? I have died maybe once to one in PvP, and it was because I was bola'd and nerve-striked. If you're on a mage, summon a daemon or if ou have spellweaving, 4 pixies, all kill on the tamer when he sicks his drag on you, run away invis return and dump on him.

S

ShaunOfPac

Know what dude?

I'd bet you money EA responds LESS to

Do x, it would help the game!

than it does to:

OMG THIS IS LOSING/WILL LOSE/HAS LOST US SUBSCRIPTIONS!!!!!!111!!

Hey I'm all for the positivity, but I see no evidence that positivity is what drives business models. Except Progressive. lol. On a serious n ote I have seen HUGE, well thought out, fantastically reasoned proposals for changes on game forums throughout the years. Some were literally fantastic.

They were universally ignored. What got worked on in game was unerringly the stuff that tons of players were muttering and "whining" about on a daily basis. Rather than the once-in-awhile shining, well spoken proposals for positive changes.

I have noticed that logic and EA/OSI/Mythic/Whatever they call themselves now have never had a good relationship.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So if you post a complaint it's called a proposal

But everyone else is just crying

Got it.........

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have noticed that logic and EA/OSI/Mythic/Whatever they call themselves now have never had a good relationship.
UO is the hated stepchild of EA that they can't get rid of because it comes with a big trust fund attached. That's how they've always acted about it.

What shocks me, is how they'll suddenly throw money at it in spurts... like for expansions... while otherwise ignoring or not supporting it very much with absolutely monumentally awful in-game support where you get canned answers to refer to the website when you have part of a pier stuck on the front of your ship and you can't drydock or recall off. What's even more mind boggling is when said expansions don't fix the things people have been asking for for years, and instead add a lot of things hardly anyone wanted, and doesn't bring new players to the game. AoS, anyone?

The business decisions towards UO have not just been bad, poorly thought out or stupid... they've been absolutely schizophrenic. It's like that movie Mommy Dearest, with Joan Crawford being EA and UO being one of the kids.

A

Aboo

Just my 2 cents.
How is talking, even if it's complaining, about issues regarding UO off topic?

And BTW isn't whining about what you consider to be off topic, off topic? :confused:

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see this board as almost always on topic. Perhaps it's just that you only open the off-topic/complaining posts and rarely the other ones? I certainly know this thread of off-topic :D

Most of the time the posts are simply questions about certain things and gameplay issues. Most SnR threads get moved to the SnR forum. Most off-topic threads get moved to the Off-topic forum.

S

ShaunOfPac

UO is the hated stepchild of EA that they can't get rid of because it comes with a big trust fund attached. That's how they've always acted about it.

What shocks me, is how they'll suddenly throw money at it in spurts... like for expansions... while otherwise ignoring or not supporting it very much with absolutely monumentally awful in-game support where you get canned answers to refer to the website when you have part of a pier stuck on the front of your ship and you can't drydock or recall off. What's even more mind boggling is when said expansions don't fix the things people have been asking for for years, and instead add a lot of things hardly anyone wanted, and doesn't bring new players to the game. AoS, anyone?

The business decisions towards UO have not just been bad, poorly thought out or stupid... they've been absolutely schizophrenic. It's like that movie Mommy Dearest, with Joan Crawford being EA and UO being one of the kids.

This game went to **** when Richard Garriot left OSI. He created this game, and from its launch to just before the release of UO:R, it was absolutely amazing. Constant Seer run events, Game Masters had help from counselors and you ALWAYS got an in person response from pages, and speedhacking was taken very seriously (Many people were banned for it). The player base was all intermingled, and the game was exciting. Richard Garriot didn't want to divide the player base between Trammel and Felucca, but the others in his company (Which he created) decided to do so anyway. So he left, and since then the game has been on a constant downward spiral. Instead of staying true to the Ultima heritage, they rip off other games and try to implement them into UO.

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This game went to **** when Richard Garriot left OSI. He created this game, and from its launch to just before the release of UO:R, it was absolutely amazing. Constant Seer run events, Game Masters had help from counselors and you ALWAYS got an in person response from pages, and speedhacking was taken very seriously (Many people were banned for it). The player base was all intermingled, and the game was exciting. Richard Garriot didn't want to divide the player base between Trammel and Felucca, but the others in his company (Which he created) decided to do so anyway. So he left, and since then the game has been on a constant downward spiral. Instead of staying true to the Ultima heritage, they rip off other games and try to implement them into UO.
Sounds basically accurate. Though in true today's-status-quo-must-be-best fashion, plenty of people are happy to praise EA's efforts and blast British years after he left.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is why the board is called spiels and rants.

A spiel is typically a persuasive argument. A rant is defined as a wild, incoherent, emotional articulation. I don't see how either of these entail "positive game play." A good percentage of Americans like to rant. Consequently, seems to me that this board is usually on target. :D

T

Tybalt Capulet II

Not to worry, they do a fine job at moving my non-rants over to the SnR forum...la
still racking in the post counts with the stupid ... la thing attached. atleast 1 thing the same heh. Get a geroge forman grill at a certain post count ? :)

K

Kiminality

It is why the board is called spiels and rants.

A spiel is typically a persuasive argument. A rant is defined as a wild, incoherent, emotional articulation. I don't see how either of these entail "positive game play." A good percentage of Americans like to rant. Consequently, seems to me that this board is usually on target. :D
This thread was originally posted on Uhall, and moved to here.