• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thirteen Years Later....

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I started playing this game as soon as it came out of Beta in 1997 and finally was able to place a castle! Granted, trying to place a castle has been anything but a full-time pre-occupation, but it is nice to finally get one.

I briefly had one in 2000 (thus the remark...13 years later), when they first introduced Trammel. I was "lucky" enough to get a castle down during the land-rush, only to have the server crash three minutes later. You old-timers may know the story and remember that the devs decided that we should have a do-over since the server crashes during the land rush made it unfair to some players who couldn't stay logged in. During this do-over I ended up with a log-cabin! (that day was the first and only time I actually wanted to quit UO).

Anyway, if you're not bored yet, here is my inspirational tale. As you can probably guess, this had to do with an IDOC. Specifically a very well camped Keep fell about a week ago. While waiting for it to fall I started looking around and wondering if a castle would fit. I didn't give it much hope, but after getting some crappy items from the fall itself, I started experimenting with placing a castle. Of course I wasn't alone, and thought best to try and just drop a keep rather than trying the tricky castle placement (there wasn't a lot of room). So me, along with about five others stood there waiting for the house placement ban to pass, during which I clicked the tool a few too many times and I was locked out. I started to sweat, kept trying the tool, but no luck. I decided to gamble, logged off, grabbed another account, and tried to click now and again...too many times! Tool was locked, I sat there patiently wondering if everyone else was in the same predicament. So much time had passed and still nothing, the tool was still unusable. I decided to gamble again, logging off, grabbing the original character, came back and sure enough, land was open for placement! I madly started trying to place a castle but it just wouldn't fit! Half a dozen tries later I decided this was too risky and switched to trying to place a Keep back where the original one was...but it wouldn't fit either!! What the heck?!?! Unfortunately at this time I was on the Classic client and couldn't see where it might be blocked....but tried moving the plot forward and finally got the keep to place.

Later that day I ran around to other shards, trying to find one that was open for test placement of a castle. I couldn't find one! But I did find a castle on Arirang that was almost exactly where mine should fit. I made note of the co-ordinates, went back to my shard, walked it out and realized it was truly a very tight fit (there was a tree that had to land in the courtyard, and a castle behind and to the right of where mine was to go.

I waited the whole week, dreading that some house griefer was going to figure out what I was planning and drop a tiny house behind my keep to block me from resizing to a castle. But finally, while on lunch break at work today I decided to take the plunge, resized and placed my castle! Yaay, I'm one of you! Well some of you ;)

Last edited:

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, that's great news, Irulia - congratulations on your new castle and your persistence in placing it! Now, get busy with the deco so you can share pics...:danceb:

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh...you gotta be kidding me...I have to decorate it!?! hehe...Took me over a year to design and customize my 18x18 and I'm still not happy with the roof garden. Spent all weekend just shuffling stuff from one house to the next trying to get some sort of organization going. So yeah, maybe will start the castle in a year or two.

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure, by then I figure there will be some really nice 16th/17th year vet rewards. No, seriously I hope to get these two 18x18s out of the way, then on to the castle.

syndael

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
heheh congrants! I remember placing my castle for the first time a month or so ago. I was a nerves wreak but was socked when it asked if I wanted to accept

Plant Elemental

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Great story! Like you, I just recently placed a Castle (my first) because of the RTB houses falling. I previously had a Keep, which I was pretty much resigned to having for the rest of UO. Only a tower near me blocked room for a Castle, and I logged on every day hoping to catch the owner so I could buy it. The wait was worth it though, hehe.

You'll find that decorating kills a lot of time. I recently logged in on 9 pm to do some castle decorating. By the time I got a bed and some bedroom furniture down, it was already midnight!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well done...awesome feeling when the castle first takes...its takes your breath away..veryone n the game should experaince that feeling of placing there first castle.....well worth the time and effort of placing it yourself......congrats on the persistantance..and ive seen a few castles done with the ground floor with goza mats and the walls lined with bookcases and paintings..etc it just loks lke a huge 31x31 room...they really do look nice...''awesome deco custom castles''

Last edited: