• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Third Annual UO Gathering, 9/29/01: UPDATE!

• Thread starter Dor of Sonoma
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dor of Sonoma

UPDATE 9/26/01:
Apologies for not having been available online since I posted that announcement...my comp was hosed by a virus or two. However, I do have some new info to add to the following announcement...and a reminder that the UO Gathering is now a scant three days away!

I have been busy onsite at the Faire, arranging additional 10%discounts off of purchases made by those attendees whom identify themselves as UO players to the following booth owners at the Renaissance Faire:

10% off swords & assorted weaponry, leather goods, woodcut banners and scarves, hairbraiding and (probably-still has to be confirmed) costume rentals at the following venues:

Belrose Costume Rentals : Just inside the main gate entrance, at the top of the hill to your right. This has yet to be carved in stone, but was unofficially approved by the manager when last I spoke with them. So...ask. :)

Tresses Entwined : (Hair-braiding) Threadneedle Court...10% off during the first hour of Faire that day. 10am to 11am

Oberon Designs: (Gamesters Row) This booth owner ("Nadake") is a player on Pacific and has wonderful embossed leather goods...book covers, wallets, mug covers, pouches, etc. He's a great guy, too. Stop by to say hi! (Ask for Don)

Celtic Woodcuts on Cloth : Absolutely beautiful work. Threadneedle Court, next to Tickle Thy Fantasy.

Sword & The Rose : (Gamesters Row) SWORDS! Need I say more? :)

So far, this year is looking to be a great one, judging from responses. So, I hope to see you all there, meeting your fellow players and having a magnificent time. ~Dor
----------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings!
It's that time of year again...time for the Third Annual UO
Gathering/Northern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire
thingy! Last year's event was a great success, and this year we
anticipate an even greater turnout, with an imported cheerleader
(Spin :), and players from as far away as
Pennsylvania and Ontario, Canada...so be there or be square!

WHEN: Saturday, September 29th. Meet in front of the ticket
windows no later than 9:00-9:30 Pacific, if you wish to get a
break on ticket prices.

WHERE: Northern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire at the
Nut Tree, Vacaville, off of Interstate-80 (link with map to
follow)

WHAT: A chance to meet other UO players within the atmosphere
of 16th-century England. The initial entrance fee covers
continuous entertainment from 10:00am to 6:00 or 7:00pm, when
the faire closes. Full-contact jousting tournaments, staged
plays, roving jesters, Salty Seadogs, ribald revelry,
juggling, puppet shows, belly dancers (don't ask), bawdy songs
and sweet ballads, Bold and Stupid Men, swashing and
buckling...something for every taste. :)

HOW MUCH: The normal price for an adult ticket is $17.50.
HOWEVER, on the 29th, I will be awaiting you outside the
ticket window with a fistfull of coupons to allow you to gain
entrance for half-price (or 8.75), and all children (up to age
11) will be admitted free on that date. I'll post a link with
my picture from last year's faire, so you'll know whom to look
for and bug. :)

WHAT TO BRING: Food on the premises is most delicious---and
very pricey. I recommend bringing your own, so that if you're
smitten with an overwhelming desire for some bauble while
you're there, you'll have the means to purchase it. (There are
ATMs available as well) Bottled water is a good staple, as it
can get extremely hot. FILM! Bring your cameras and LOTS of film!
Costuming is not required, but I think you'll find a lot
more...uh...opportunities..if you are costumed. *winks* The
only prohibitions on items brought into the faire are: No
glass containers, no alcohol, (though ale, wine and mead are
available onsite at the Ale Stands) no unsecured weapons, and
no live pets. (I dunno about dead ones)

FOR THOSE WITH CHILDREN: There are TONS of things for children
to do at faire, including (but not limited to) the Traditional
School of Crafts (basket-weaving, pomander-making,
doll-making, painting, etcetera), the chance to participate as
actors onstage in an ongoing play, pony rides, turtle races,
archery, the Dragon Maze, the Moon Swing, the Maypole...many
of the kid's activities are free. My 9 year-old daughter has
attended every day for the past four years, and she's still
not bored. A great place for kids. :)

WHAT TO LOOK FOR: If you manage to miss me before opening, try
to find my booth. It's very small...classified as a cart. :) It's
called "Eggwife's Dowrie", and is located on Threadneedle Market,
west of the Washerwoman's Well, beneath a spreading
(dead) walnut tree, at the bend in the road just before
the Big Swing(s). We are directly in front of Tickle thy Fantasy,
immediately across the road from Gypsy Soles, the banner booth,
and Steven Overstreet's Romantic Regalia. Please try to print out
these directions and take them with you, as the maps which are
issued onsite are very vague, and the Information booth is not
likely to be of much assistance.

I've arranged to take the day off, but intend for the booth to
be used as a message center for the day, and will be checking
back there often. Just bug Janessa, my lovely booth sitter. She
will be happy to help however she may. I will leave an itinerary
posted there, so that latecomers may hook up with the rest of
the group at various points throughout the day.

ITINERARY: This year, we have a schedule of shows to attend,
whilst still allowing for plenty of free time to do with as
you will. The shows are all free, and seating is all first-come,
first-served, so try to be prompt! If you miss us at opening,
please look for us here:

10:30 am: (approximately) EGGWIFE'S DOWRIE: At my booth (as described
above) where you may store your valuables, leave messages, etc.
11:30 am: TOURNAMENT ARENA: The Shire Joust. As you face the
bleachers, look for us to be seated on the left-hand side.
12:30 pm: THE OLD NUT TREE STAGE: MooNiE the Magnif'cent
2:00 pm: ROGUE'S REEF STAGE: Bold and Stupid Men
3:00 pm: The MULLAH'S (near Trader's Market Stage) Turkish
coffee, iced chai and bellydancers in the shade :)
4:00 pm: CAT & FIDDLE COMMON: The Puritans
5:00 pm: THE OLD NUT TREE STAGE: Broon & MooNiE (fire-eating,
sword-swallowing, juggling, mayhem and general audience-
harrassment :)
Schedule is flexible...any updates will be posted at the booth.

For Faire-specific information (including current weather
report and directions) go here:

http://ogd.syix.com/images/RenFaire01.jpg

For pics of OGD's portion of 1999's fun, go here:

http://www.kalani.net/FaireLinks.htm

That's all that I can think of for now...thanks for your time.
:)

If you've any questions, email me at: [email protected] and
I'll try to answer them. Hope to see you there!

~Dor

<font color=blue>The Lone Ranger</font color=blue>
<font color=purple>Guildmaster,</font color=purple><font color=red>Sonoma War Games</font color=red>
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Dor of Sonoma on 09/26/01 01:07 PM.</FONT></P>

A

asil

Hail,

Asil, Killian and Children will be there!
I probably wont make it in time to meet you at the tickets booth
but we will find you later in the day. We had a great time last year.
My oldest daughter (DeeDee) and myself are very interested in
being in costume this year. Im not sure how to do this, I would appreciate
your suggestions. Should we just rent a costume upon arrival? Or is there somewhere in the area we could go prior to attending the faire?

See you there!

Asil

G

My opinion: it would probably be best if you were to rent the costume on site from the Widow Belrose's place (the only place there) rather than trying to find anything before hand. There's not much available unless Dor has a lot of spares she can lend.

Renting on site isn't cheap, but it really adds to the fun. I would recommend getting the discount stuff and the entrance tickets early, then "pushing and shoving" your way to the front so you can get in quickly. You'll have your pick of the costumes then and less of a crowd to fight than slightly later.

I would also recommend you go for the peasants garb, as the weather can get quite toasty and the Nobles usually suffer in their velvet.

No combat changes--FIX THE BUGS! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/disgust.gif

I renounce all facet citizenshipry. *you see Cynewulf, the Man Without a Facet*

Explorer 93%, Socializer 60%, Achiever 46%, Killer 0%

A

asil

Thx for the tips Cynewulf
I thought that might be my best bet.
I was planning on the peasant thing , It was so hot last year.
Beside Im just more of a peasant at heart.

Are you from the Northern CA area? Will we see you there??

G

Yes, I live in Northern California. Antioch, to be precise, and work in Mountain View (Moffett Field, to be precise, where Southern spent a bit of time as well).

I was there last year. This year if I go it will only be for a short while since I'm also a season ticket holder for the California Shakespeare Festival and the 29th is the night of the last play for me. I may not renew the subscription next year if they don't get a new artistic director--the current one sucks and the plays have been terrible. I didn't think it was possible to so consistently wreck Shakespeare.

D

Dor of Sonoma

Yes, there is somewhere in the area you could find costuming prior to the Faire...my house, silly!

Costume rentals onsite are expensive, and I can't help but think it would be more fun to spend that money on souvenirs you could keep forever.

I have several extra pieces for all ages (been working the faire for years), including shoes, long stockings, skirts, hats and so forth. You should be able to cobble together at least the bulk of your costumes ahead of time, by rummaging through my stuff...and, if you're handy with a needle, you could probably assemble the entire ensemble. About the only pieces I am short on are bodices, as I make my own, and that takes forEVER. I'm sure it would cost much less to rent or buy one piece, than the entire array!

At any rate, PM me for my number, and let's see about getting together sometime next week at my place? Then you can play dress-up and see what you need ahead of time. *grins*

(You only live about half-an-hour away from me, aye?)

~Dor

<font color=purple>Guildmaster,</font color=purple><font color=red>Sonoma War Games</font color=red>

A

asil

Ah, My husband and I live in Walnut Creek. Last year was our first festival.
I look forward to it this year. Since I have nuthing to compare it too its all
new and fresh for us. I hope we get a chance to at least say hi.

Asil

D

Dor of Sonoma

If the artistic director sucks, and the plays are terrible, and they have wrecked Shakespeare...why the HELL don't you pass on that last night, and spend a rollicking day with me and Spin and Priam and Asil, and all of the other UNsucky, not-terrible, reeeeally nifty and fun players?!

Huh? HUH?

You would seriously pass up the chance to have Priam buy you a beer?

~Dor

S

spinkickr

yah, what she said!! and id buy you one too, but im not old enough...

i cant wait, hehe, ill have flight confirmations tomorrow for when i call Dor, had a really hectic 2 days with no online time just now, but things should be calmed down some now

<center>Chung Sin Il Do Ha Sa Bul Sung</center>

W

Wisty

Umm, since I don't believe I'm going to make it to Ren.Faire again this year (have never made it, but got within 24 hours one year), my grand niece (who played the last two days of my account and who LOVES the game now) has never been to Ren.Faire (though her mother has) and would love to go. I just wondered... if possibly... she and her mother might hang out with you all? Though I don't know if they could co-ordinate it on the 29th, in which case, they would try for another day by themselves.

*sigh* Every year I promise myself. But every year..., alas! I think I'd be more apt to make it through a concert or play than all that walking in all that heat. (Did I mention, I am lame? Not as in, brain - though some might disagree. As in, right leg/hip - auto accident many years ago. Tremendous pain. Some days just getting out of bed and walking to the kitchen brings forth muffled screams and swear words or at least a grimace or two which people mistake as a smile, only because I don't usually like to make it known. Nothing anyone can do. What is, is.) (I've several other illnesses which make being out and about, specially in the heat, not always possible. Otherwise BELIEVE ME, I'd have been there at Ren.Faire a decade ago, as well as all sorts of other things that I have had to give up an dearly miss.)

Maybe Star Eyes and her mother could take pictures (like her mother did for me one year) and I could again live vicariously? It sounds like so much fun!!

Oh, and I don't see why people couldn't rig together their own costumes from bits and pieces of whatever they can find at Salvation Army or in their closets or shopping around in quaint or antique shops? A peasant outfit, specially if you go as a very poor one (aye! that would be me!) seems easy enough to "fake." (Besides I love long loose dresses that fit at the bodice. I love hats of all kinds, too, but don't have the head shape to keep the silly things on!!) (The last time my niece attended, she dressed as a harem dancer of sorts. Looked cute. A tad modern, but "faked" enough.) True, the more authentic outfits are more lovely for sure. But I pity those in the full regalia, specially on one of those 100 degreer days. Good thing for big old trees! :)

Well anyways... just happened to pop in, saw this post, looked at all the neat pictures, popping off now. Have fun all of you!!

W

Wisty

&gt; WHAT TO BRING:
The only prohibitions on items brought into the faire are: No

Hopefully they allow dead ones, otherwise everyone leave behind your boots, purses, fanny-packs, wallets...! :)

0^0ps, yes, I said I was popping off. Well, I wanted to print Dor's post so I could read it to my niece/grand niece.

G

...it has more to do with how my lovely lady is feeling than anything else. We by-passed the Scottish games this year for the same reason. Ergo, I'm not committing to anything until I talk it over with her, and even then things may change by the 29th.

Asil--

Walnut Creek? Really? I'll be driving through there this very day. I usually stop at Peet's on Locust during the winter to replenish my home stocks of coffee. I was also in a musical at the Centre for the Performing Arts--"My Fair Lady." Small world, eh?

I

imported_Stasis

<blockquote><hr>

The
only prohibitions on items brought into the faire are: No

<hr></blockquote>

WooHoo! Lots of drugs for everyone! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

No Power...No Gold.
Know Power...Know Gold.

N

Nether Void

Ok so I live in Sacramento and play on Napa, but I still can't find any pictures of you, Dor! How am I going to get coupons if your links don't work! =)

I think all us UO players should wear something that has our UO char name and our server. That would be an easy way to meet people as we enjoy the faire.

I've never been to a RenFaire, but my girlfriend (who doesn't play UO) loves them so she's making me a costume. She loves to sew (I would guess she's got about 75.5 in the skill LOL).

So is the UO presence going to be a Stratics booth or something?

<font color=CD2626>Nether Void - Serious Evil</font color=CD2626> /php-bin/shared/images/icons/uriel.gif
~Assassin for Hire (Napa)~

"THEY'RE TRYING TO BUILD A PRISON!...for you and me." -- System of a Down

G

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelhill.net/sites/uhallers/>http://www.angelhill.net/sites/uhallers/</a>

It's the old U-Hall from a few years back and Dor's picture is over there.

As far as getting in, get there early and you'll probably find all the UO geeks standing around out front waiting for Dor and the coupons. Wearing some kind of tag would not be all that beneficial because two dozen or so people with the other several thousand Faire goers will be lost.

It would be imperative to make sure you a) locate Dor's booth as a center of operations and b) make plans to meet the various people at certain locations/times (like the stage at the "Cat and Fiddle Common" at 2:00 p.m.).

This is one of the largest Faires in the U.S. Wear comfortable shoes.

No bartenders--FIX THE BUGS! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/disgust.gif

Real men don't use UOA.

N

Nether Void

Well thanks! I hope to see you guys there! =)

<font color=CD2626>Nether Void - Serious Evil</font color=CD2626> /php-bin/shared/images/icons/uriel.gif
~Assassin for Hire (Napa)~

"THEY'RE TRYING TO BUILD A PRISON!...for you and me." -- System of a Down

D

Dor of Sonoma

...to point out that the announcement above has been updated.

Also got a call last night...two more players heading down from Oregon to attend. This is going to be SO fun--I hope to see you all there! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

~Dor

G

BTW, was it Lynn you talked with at the hairbraiding booth? She and I went to high school together.

No contracts or deed--FIX THE BUGS! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/disgust.gif

Real men don't use UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.