• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thinking about releasing my hiryu.

Miriandel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi fellow tamers,

After much extensive hunting, I'm disgruntled with the hiryu and plan on releasing them because they don't deal damage fast enough.
I have more success with a cu sidhe, or greater dragon, or nightmare/rune beetle combo for all what I hunt (I don't have SA).

My hiryu has maxed out resists and GM in all his skills.
Should I find a 120 wrestling/tactics hiryu so it can be trained to 108/108 and see better results?
Would that be worth it, hunting probably for weeks only to find a very high wrestling/tactics one with also high resists?

As hard as I think about it, I can't figure of anything going for that pet, excepted on my bushidori, of course.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have great success with my hiryu, and he's got pretty shoddy resists.

Of course the GD will outdamage him, but that's a trade-off between walking and mounting. The GD will also outdamage your Cu. The nightmare/rune beetle will also outdamage it, but that's then two pets to keep track of and heal, and they would again outdamage your cu.

I guess I don't see what the problem is. The hiryu fills its role quite nicely, but that role isn't to be the top damager. It's phys/fire resist, potentially high wrestle, and decent HP make it a good tank against a single phys/fire damager, while still allowing you a mount to escape if necessary.

What do you normally hunt? That will affect how useful a hiryu is to you.

Miriandel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hunt in Destard quite often. The Hiruy resists should shine, but not being a bard, any incoming add puts too much pressure on him. So I only take my dragon in destard.
I tried the ancient wyrm with him, being told it's a good pet for the job, without much success. He takes too much damage and deals too little.

I also hunt rune beetles a lot, for cash and magical objects. While I can leave a Cu unattended for a while, the hiryu will die fast.

I also hunt balrons in Hytloth 3 and a Cu kills much faster, because of it's cold/energy damage.

Another favorite spot is poisons in Ilshenar, for level 6 maps from paragons. Again, the Cu does the job pretty much on his own, where the hiryu would die and wouldn't kill faster.

That's pretty much where I hunt, maybe those aren't the good locations for the hiryu, idk.

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hiryus are good to compliment/augment GD damage due to the phys resist reduction attack it does. Well trained, double strikes are also very useful :)

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like to take a hiryu along when fellow fighters will have greater dragons and the like to tank. Like Garm said, the phys reduction is a nice addition to a group fight. Solo, though, I prefer to fight with a cu in a lot of cases.

J

Jonathan Baron

I realize this is the minority view but I keep lots of animals because they're beautiful. Chief among these the Ki-Rin and the Fire Steed. I chose a Lesser over the regular purely based on looks as I've yet to encounter one of those GORGEOUS Hiryus with the astonishing neon colors. I tame them for the challenge; I train them to behold their abilities at their best.

For fighting, though, the juice is teamwork among players with complimentary skills. I've not found much of that this time compared to when I played ten years back. But this has long been a game in decline except on a handful of Shards. This, I believe, is why the combat pet has become so essential to the enjoyment of many players. It enables players to meet the more intense challenges with fewer players.

You've got your classic cars and your drivers cars. The Hiryu is beautiful.

I didn't get into taming to have an animal do my fighting for me. When the combat pet succeeds or fails I simply don't feel anything like success or failure when it's me as the fighter rather than a medic or the coaching cut man in the boxing corner. Yes, a good infantryman uses an advancing tank for cover but ultimately has to do the tough fighting.

I get it, I do. My view is more that of a Falconer. The bird is simply ordinary without its lethal power. You exercise that power to behold it. It doesn't catch your dinner for you.

As I said, this is a most strange view of taming.

If you feel a bond with the animal - if its grace and lines make you pause for a moment just to look at it - keep it. Goodness knows that any high level tamer has enough stable slots to accommodate those handful of truly effective battlefield warrior pets as well as the esthetically pleasing ones.

In my most humble opinion :)

Jonathan

L

Luke Carjacker

All of the discussion has centered around fighting monsters, but Hiryus do have value in PvP in that they will dismount, which can excellent. That said, the dismount really isn't all that reliable (you can't control how your pets attack) so most people stick with bolas or special attacks, and go with Cu Sidhe or Dread for tamer mount.