• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thinking about getting back into PvPing, faction questions. Forgive if noobish.

C

Coragin

Okay so I take long breaks from UO, but been playing since day 1. Sometimes its a 1 month on 6 months break, sometimes a year on, 2 year break. Right now Im coming off of a 2 year break and only did champ spawns in Fel before, so a lot of these questions are faction related.

Forgive me if they are noobish to you, I have read the boards, just want a little more clarification. I will number them and separate them for easy quote answers.

1. Is there a lot of factioning going on Origin Shard?

2. My guild currently will not do Fel and are not allied with any faction. Can I stay in my guild and still do factions? Or will I need to quit and join a faction allied guild?

3. From what I gathered, there are two ways to gain silver, a. kill a player of an opposing faction, or b. kill a monster of an opposing faction. Is this correct?

3b. How much silver can one expect from killing another player?
3c. How much silver can one expect from killing an opposing monster?

4. With regards to killing opposing monsters, it is stated on the factions guide you cannot gain silver from killing the same monster over and over. Question is, is this a "timer" until next silver gain? Or a "kill x number of monsters until next silver gain"?

5. I noticed a lot of threads on speed hacking. Is this a real big problem, like BIG BIG?

6. I will be solo until I hook up with some other faction members, can I expect gank squads, mainly while farming silver on monsters?

7. Do you have to be a certain rank to use the items you can buy with the silver?

7b. I assume the items you gain through faction system cannot be traded or sold correct?

7c. Reading uoguide.com they list current artifacts but with more power/resists/properties. Are the properties listed (resists) ON TOP OF what the item already has? Or is it a TOTAL? Here is a link Faction Items UOGuide

8. Can bless deeds be obtained via faction system?
8b. item bless
8c. clothing bless

9. I am reading about this "Dreadmare" I looked it up. It lists as no longer spawning, is this true? Seems like a neat pet.

(I know there is a problem with over powered tamers, I play more than just a tamer FYI and my tamer will be used for farmign silver, not wars)

Thats all for now, I appreciate your answers to these questions and any extra info you can offer me.

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back after a long absence!

1. Don't know about Origin, I play on GL.

2. You will need to leave your guild and join factions first, then join a guild that is in the factions you joined.

3. Depending on what faction you join, will depend on the faction monster you farm for silver. They are: Ogre Lords, Demons, Wisp and Silver Serpents. All of these but the wisp, give 30 silver per monster and wisp 20.

As for faction kills silver, that is dependent on if your faction owns the towns, a normal kill outside of a town is 40 silver, if you get a kill in the town you own, you get double and you in certain situations you get triple.

4. The faction guide must be out of date, because for each opposing faction monster kill, you get that amount of silver, it drops.

5. BIG!

6. I can't answer that for you, but on GL you can get ganked at any time of the day or nite while farming.

7. Yes each item is assigned a rank for that piece. Your Rank is updated 6 hours each day after server up. But the rank system is messed up (has been for a long time), you could be a Rank 10 without any points at all. I keep 15 points on all my characters to ensure I am able to wear my items, it is so easy to get the points you need to wear your items. Thieves now get 10 point per sigil (certain conditions have to be met) after you have corrupted them. If you read other posts you will see how some farm points, which I won't get into.

8. According to this post, it works :) http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=142169

9. No, Dread Mares don't spawn anymore. I like my Greater Dragon better. Tamers are no more overpowered then those guy running with the prepatched Quiver of Rage, that do 2 hit kills with them.

C

Coragin

Thanks for the answers to my questions, now comes the whole slew of worms you helped me open.

I did a forum search for faction points and WOAH, a lot of negativity. From what I have read, points system is messed up due to double and triple earned. Got that. Here comes my questions.

Can you point me to a thread where earning points and points decaying is detailed? Or explain them.

Also, is there a thread explaining what level in points is needed for this or that? Im gonna search around more, this seems pretty interesting, that is assuming there are people on my shard actually factioning, lol.

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh where is Tina, she is the lady with most of the answers. I don't know enough about the 2 questions to answer them for you, sorry.

I do know the points decay and that your rank system is based on the top point holder of your faction, but that is it. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of this, will speak up.

R

RichDC

Just wanted to add that tamers are just as overpowered as the archers...especially "mounted" tamers with a GD in tow.

Bring on the Ninja form control slot patch!!!

(sorry back on topic from now)

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wanted to add that tamers are just as overpowered as the archers...especially "mounted" tamers with a GD in tow.

Bring on the Ninja form control slot patch!!!

(sorry back on topic from now)
What! Mounted tamers, dang haven't seen that one yet!
But I have been seeing a certain group, walk through E-Fields.

R

RichDC

What! Mounted tamers, dang haven't seen that one yet!
But I have been seeing a certain group, walk through E-Fields.
By mounted i meant wolf/llama/ostard form...same thing in essence.

Never seen the e-fields but have seen the boxes and candelabras, i even set up a lovely defence on candelabras with a funnel to trap the poor sole, only for him to walk over them and steal the sig :(

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Basic info on faction points and the rank system is here: http://www.uoherald.com/guide/guide.php?guideId=208.

War of Shadows special rules for points are here in the Publish 56 notes: http://www.uoherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=454. Also see the discussion of bonus points in the notes for the November 5, 2008 Publish 56 fix: http://www.uoherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=456.

Five on Friday posts from Publish 56 and later with faction-related info:

Additional publish notes: