• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(RP) Thieves....some ideas

Wolfman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello all,

with the new increase to our population, I realized we have quiet a number of new people who....well let's say operate in the grey-shades of the law.
Furthermore I want to add, I have not played a thief in UO, nor will I ever play a thief in UO. Folowing are just some ideas that might be not too difficult to implement into the game (since they had been in the game a while back and might just be reimplemented or just turned on again) and could add some fun elements (maybe just for roleplaying purposes) to being a thief or being the one stolen from.
One last thing before I start naming the ideas: I like the system the way it is, I have lost an item or two of higher value to some thief and am not worried about the increased number....they do not find me anyways if I do not want to.

When you have just been stolen from, you may place a bounty on the head of the thief, which makes him perma grey (visible, but no guards could be called on him).
The bounty on head system was abused...I know...I am talking more of a role-playing factor here. Also I am sure some thieves would pride themselves with the idea of having 10000gp on their head.

When you just (in the last hour) have been stolen from, a successful forensic skill use turns the thief grey for a certain period of time (24 hours).
First of all this would give the forensic skill finally some use again, second it would be chanceto counter the stealing process and third how cool would it be (from a role-playing point of view) to call in the detective (with the apropriate set of skills) to hunt down the thief that just stole from you (this would be well combined with the following one).

A thief cannot take a stolen item out of their backpack for 1hour after he comitted the act and is in heat of battle for that time (not able to log out instantaniously or run into his house). You could actually try to hunt down a thief.

Make thieves that can steal from players "perma grey"!
Well I do not mean mark them grey, I mean make them freely attackable in towns again without the need to wait for them to do a criminal act, in which case you just say "guards" and the thief is history. With that thieves would make use of the disguise kit again or the polymorph spell. Besides us honest citizen having an option for a preventive act!

Thieves that can steal of players have a chance to detect if a spawn is being done!
For every 20 points in the stealing skill there is a 2%cummulative chance that they recieve a message: "A spawn is being done in the lost lands" or "A spawn is being done in the Abyss". This would implement the thief as a spy factor into the game and even out the "perma-grey-risk" a little bit.

Just some ideas to add fun....what do you think?

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think it is fine the way it is right now. All these good suggestions impact the way a number of our more colorful players play.
I don't like a trammel mentality that always puts one group on the nerf block.
(and I know you Morgan do not have a trammel mentality but others do!)

Larry Lee

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
People always want to change what others do and enjoy. I think it is excellent the way it is.

LL

Wolfman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it is fine the way it is right now. All these good suggestions impact the way a number of our more colorful players play.
I don't like a trammel mentality that always puts one group on the nerf block.
(and I know you Morgan do not have a trammel mentality but others do!)
Hmmmm, could you elaborate what you mean, and where I would nerf a certain style? Again, I am just looking for a discussion here with the actual thief players. Thievery/Stealing has not impacted my game and it will not impact my game, I am just trying to give/think about ways to make it a little more exciting!

Wolfman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it is excellent the way it is.

LL
If you read my post completely you will see that I stated the same thing! But some improvements addition to the thief class could only be started by Siege players since the only true thieves that are left, are here on Siege.

Larry Lee

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am a real thief and I am in a thief guild - Barter Town Inc ----> ^_ _^.
Oh and by the way - I have gotten quit a few items off of you in the past Morgan (most without you ever knowing). And I don't brag about what I steal. Why tell a mark and make him more careful?

But all your "proposals" are ways to hurt the way we (thieves) play and to help the way you play.
(I know you said it was fine the way it is now but if so why propose changes that hurt our style of play)

We don't kill people. And most of the really good thieves on Siege don't grief people.

You kill stuff (both monsters and players) while we look for nuggets in the city slums. (That is Why Luna is so popular)
Go grey is mentioned in all of your proposals - none of which looks like fun to me.

I could become a player killer (like most of people whom I despise) but my fun is in the shadows.

I am not (and never will be) a faction thief so I don't speak for them.

How about this - thieves never get guard wacked but if they fail (or are noticed and get caught) they just become attackable by the person they stole from.

How about really master thieves get a 920 skill cap but go grey like in your proposals and can not wear any armor.

(I have others but I think the rules are just great the way they are!)

Regards

LL ^_ _^

Barter Town Inc

mikni

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just some quick notes:

I would like thieves to go grey on every player they steal from. Only to him and effective until the death of the thief. I would also like a viable detective class. Successful use of forensic evaluation, up to maybe 30 minutes from the last steal, would make the thief attackable to the detective. A bounty would not deter me, I would wear it proudly. Don't know if other people would use it.

I do not like the idea of being grey to the whole shard. It would not hinder my stealing but it would make me a lot less inclined to stop and talk to people. I enjoy doing that now. I also do not like the idea of not being able to take a stolen item out. That would only be a forced downtime for the thief. No one will continue stealing with an expensive steal already in the pack.

I do not like the idea of being able to see where a spawn is active. It feels way to powerful for the thief. I do however like the ability to steal containers back. But not with the ability to steal blessed items. (Or *I* would, but it wouldn't be good for the game.)

Wolfman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just some quick notes:

I would like thieves to go grey on every player they steal from. Only to him and effective until the death of the thief. I would also like a viable detective class. Successful use of forensic evaluation, up to maybe 30 minutes from the last steal, would make the thief attackable to the detective. A bounty would not deter me, I would wear it proudly. Don't know if other people would use it.

I do not like the idea of being grey to the whole shard. It would not hinder my stealing but it would make me a lot less inclined to stop and talk to people. I enjoy doing that now. I also do not like the idea of not being able to take a stolen item out. That would only be a forced downtime for the thief. No one will continue stealing with an expensive steal already in the pack.

I do not like the idea of being able to see where a spawn is active. It feels way to powerful for the thief. I do however like the ability to steal containers back. But not with the ability to steal blessed items. (Or *I* would, but it wouldn't be good for the game.)
Going grey to the target is maybe even the better solution, and the successful use of the skill makes it viable for others...nice solution!
Hmmm why would you say knowing that a spawn is being done is too powerful?
You do not know where it is, you would have to look for it...then you would have to set up an ambush or a raid....
Just saying, it seems one of the plausible solutions to not being raided....
(Even the hard core PvMers of my guild start complaining that there are far too few raids these last months if not years)

MANSBETH

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I LIKE GOING GREY TO JUST THE VICTIM...I think rule sets for different city governor's would be cool.
As AJ said, as long as not to Trammel like.

Touzoko

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a detective class would be cool. cops and robbers always fun. Guard whacking is a nuisance, but being hunted down by a detective and bounty hunters sounds fun

Aelfric

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like this "no guard whacking" idea going around. I don't think npc's should ever call the guards on siege unless you attack them directly. They should mind their own GD business!!

The city specific rules are also a great idea (mentioned by Mansbeth above).

There simply needs to be a way to retaliate against successful thieves, whether its perma grey, or with forensic id, or something else.

Right now, i think it should be this way: If forensic ID is used on someone and they are in the thieves' guild, they are freely attackable whether they have stolen recently or not. BUT if you don't have forensic ID and the thief is successful you can't attack them (because you can't prove it or whatever). Also if you are in the thieves guild and attack or steal from another thief, you are kicked out of the guild temporarily. It might also be worth it if forensic ID makes it harder to be stolen from.

On top of this, the Detect Hidden and Tracking skills need a big boost for thieves and non-thieves alike.

I agree that the whole spawn detection thing would be OP.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I like the idea of a thief going grey to his target, it could give some great fights with the thieves. I do know, some PvP thieves will use it as an invitation to a fight and that can be very annoying but it is Siege. :) It make sense to me, that the npc's can call guards when they see a thief in action.

Aelfric

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the idea of a thief going grey to his target, it could give some great fights with the thieves. I do know, some PvP thieves will use it as an invitation to a fight and that can be very annoying but it is Siege. :) It make sense to me, that the npc's can call guards when they see a thief in action.

You mean only if caught? or are you talking about a sort of "limited perma-grey" (but only to target) as well? I liked the perma-grey system, but I think that thieves now would rather it not come back for some reason. SO, I thought my way might be a nice compromise, or something new.

Whatever it is, I think there should be some way around a blue thief being protected in a guard zone after just having stolen.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
No matter what is done to the thieves system, it should be fun both for the thief and his target.
A target should always be able to attack a thief, who steal from him.
The target should always have a change to fight to get his item back and if the steal is successful.
I not all sure about the npcs, maybe they should not call guards but just yell thief and the target could then call guards or attack the thief and chose to handle it him self.

Now I had never been a thief, so I have hard to see how it would work for the thief.

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I believe the old perm grey thing did work well until we got stat loss on normal shards and murderers got stealing to get around the murderer counts and stay blue, if they could annoy their target enough to make them attack. That should not be a problem now on Siege but could still be on normal shards where a red is limit to fel. I remember thieves had a lot fun and so had I.