• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thief template anno 2015

Drk

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Dear all,

It has been a long time since I last played (7 years) before returning a few months ago. Some of my fondest memories of UO involve my old thief, and therefore I would like to re-instate it. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

I've looked around the forums and vendors for a bit, and have found that the following gear is essential for a good template:

- Burglar's bandana
- Invenstigators cloak
- Shadow dancer leggings
- Cloak of silence

With these items, I find this template base appealing:
90 (120) Stealing
90 (100) Snooping
100 Hiding
40 (100) Stealth
120 Ninja
80 Chiv

That leaves 200 points left to distribute. My play style will most likely be: looking around for players at champs (and their protection characters) as well as vvv to sneak up on and rob. In a more open vvv setting I would 'joust' players and steal random items from their backpack. The focus is on stealing and staying alive: just a bit of fun.

Some options:
- 100 detecting hidden and 100 tracking [finding victims but no offense apart from shuriken]
- 100 detecting hidden and 100 poisoning [DP/LP shuriken, just because its fun and a little offense to confuse with]
- 120 wrestle and 80 poisoning [Stun/disarm + DP shuriken]
- 120 wrestle and 80 detecting hidden

I hope you have a moment to answer some questions!

1. How much stealth is required to move without stopping when wearing amour? Is 100 enough?
2. How would you finish the above template?
3. Why do some of the templates on this forum include 80 to 100 spellweaving?
4. I never got into stealing from dungeons. Is detecting hidden needed for this (and lockpicking?)
5. Anything else you would like to tell me. :)

Thanks a lot, regards

D

Ru TnT

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. 75.0 for leather armor, 105.0 for a 5 piece studded suit.
2. If you're going to be doing VvV, you'll need detect to find the sigils. Wrestling might be helpful while "jousting" or some other form of defense. I like wrestling though, with other combat skills, I always forget to drop my weapon before the steal attempt.
3. Spellweaving is a useful skill that does not require any regs. Healing, a shield spell, summons, self-rez...
4. For dungeon chests, just lockpicking, I think you only need detect if you plan to remove the traps. For the dungeon stealables, only stealing is needed.
5. Have fun.

Drk

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hello, quick follow-up: is dex important, at all, for stealing and snooping?

Regards,

D