• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

thief missions aka thief BODs

T

Tailrim

i was reading other threads where ppl where complaining about being able to steal crafting BODs from other players who just wait for them to spawn at vendors, and i got myself to thinking....Thief guildmasters (npcs), besides guetting players into thief guild and selling disguise kits dont have anything to do right ? Ok get this : how about getting those npcs to give thief BODs...

the way those would work is simple, the thief goes up to the npcs and says ''Mission'' the nps then gives a description, like normal BODs asking for a certain number of items that can be found on certain NPCs.

Example:

Thief A asks for a ''mission''...grendel, Britain's thief's guild guild master, needs Anodis the Noble's notebook. Anodis lives somewhere in Magincia and has 4 bodyguards inside his house. Once the mission his accepted, the said Item , NPC and guards spawn in the given city and the quest beggins. So now Thief A is heading to Magincia and finds his target in one of the houses.
The guards will ignore Thief A until he goes inside the house, but once inside they start asking ''thou art treaspassing, please leave or prepate to taste my steal !'' ....

So Basicaly you have to find a way to get passed the guards, steal the given item and bring it back to the thief GM. Once that done you get a reward and some thief guild points (simillar to faction ranking pointing)

Once thief A has acheived a certain rank, the thief Guildmaster will start offering BODs targueting items that are non insurable by players (like reags, Bandages, scrolls, etc...) that once stolen will automaticaly (after the transitory time that a thief cant recall or gate to safety) turn red, thus identifying it as a stolen item.

If someone else as any ideas or comments please dont esitate to post i'd like to have somme feedbacks on my idea :D

F

Fink

Second that.

I'm not a huge fan of npc stealing, but that sounds pretty impressive.

Touzoko

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am liking this idea. Thieves need consideration after so many disappointments. Any idea that adds excitement, and profit, should be examined.

T

Tailrim

and let's say that ppl dont alwaise carry bandies of regs (using LRC gear) or simply carry blessed bandages. i've snooped ppl who realy had NOTHING on that wasent blessed or insured... their should be a way thiefs could simply steal a charactor's fame... get my drift. let's see this as an humilliating act, the thief would steal a Glorious Lord's ''dignity'' and it would apear as a deed in the thief's pack ''prof of disshonor towards the Glorious lord blablabla worth 5k''. The worth of the deed would varry depending on the multiple factors like the person's Karma/fame versus the thief's own Karma/fame. Then the Lord who was humilliated would loose a part of his Fame if he wasent able to kill the thief within like 2 mins. After 2 mins, the thief can either sell the deed to the NPC thief guildmaster or use the deed to add the stolen fame to his own :lick:

any way this may sound :coco: but it's an alternative to being able to steal things from ppl who only have insued/blessed stuff on them

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like it :D

How about we also be able to steal from monsters to acquire items for thief BODs. Primarily champion monsters. To add in an obstacle, they would not always carry that item so you can't always guarantee that the item you need is on them at the time or it's on another champion.

Also they should add in snooping for all monsters somehow.

T

Tailrim

I like it :D

How about we also be able to steal from monsters to acquire items for thief BODs. Primarily champion monsters. To add in an obstacle, they would not always carry that item so you can't always guarantee that the item you need is on them at the time or it's on another champion.

Also they should add in snooping for all monsters somehow.
The thing about that is that i dont think stealing a Repond slaying katanas from a timberwolf would be verry verry ...realistic, mabey for humanoid creatures (like Ogres or Etins) that could be carrying a pack or a purse...mabey liches but would realy need to think the monster stealing thing to make it as resonable as posible, we whant to keep it close to player vs player.
I meen if i want to make gold off a monsters...it's simpler to kill an etin than to try and stealth your way arround and steal from it....and let's say i would like to steal from a Greater Dragon....those guys can detect hidden !? :spider:

T

The Green Thief

You could also look into having the system work a different way. Instead of stealing from NPC's you could steal from players, but not in the way that has been brought up already. Instead, once a player accepts a thief BOD every PC he snoops has a random % to have the quest item (it wouldn't be known to the player being snooped, just something that randomly pops in their bag once snooped). That way there is still the chance for a chase!

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The thing about that is that i dont think stealing a Repond slaying katanas from a timberwolf would be verry verry ...realistic, mabey for humanoid creatures (like Ogres or Etins) that could be carrying a pack or a purse...mabey liches but would realy need to think the monster stealing thing to make it as resonable as posible, we whant to keep it close to player vs player.
I meen if i want to make gold off a monsters...it's simpler to kill an etin than to try and stealth your way arround and steal from it....and let's say i would like to steal from a Greater Dragon....those guys can detect hidden !? :spider:
Erm, let me add in on that. New items would spawn on them just for thieves. I understand the importance on keeping this close to PvP thieving, but I figured I would add in the idea I had posted regarding the similar issue posted in the UO Hall thread.

R

RichDC

i was reading other threads where ppl where complaining about being able to steal crafting BODs from other players who just wait for them to spawn at vendors, and i got myself to thinking....Thief guildmasters (npcs), besides guetting players into thief guild and selling disguise kits dont have anything to do right ? Ok get this : how about getting those npcs to give thief BODs...

the way those would work is simple, the thief goes up to the npcs and says ''Mission'' the nps then gives a description, like normal BODs asking for a certain number of items that can be found on certain NPCs.

Example:

Thief A asks for a ''mission''...grendel, Britain's thief's guild guild master, needs Anodis the Noble's notebook. Anodis lives somewhere in Magincia and has 4 bodyguards inside his house. Once the mission his accepted, the said Item , NPC and guards spawn in the given city and the quest beggins. So now Thief A is heading to Magincia and finds his target in one of the houses.
The guards will ignore Thief A until he goes inside the house, but once inside they start asking ''thou art treaspassing, please leave or prepate to taste my steal !'' ....

So Basicaly you have to find a way to get passed the guards, steal the given item and bring it back to the thief GM. Once that done you get a reward and some thief guild points (simillar to faction ranking pointing)

Once thief A has acheived a certain rank, the thief Guildmaster will start offering BODs targueting items that are non insurable by players (like reags, Bandages, scrolls, etc...) that once stolen will automaticaly (after the transitory time that a thief cant recall or gate to safety) turn red, thus identifying it as a stolen item.

If someone else as any ideas or comments please dont esitate to post i'd like to have somme feedbacks on my idea :D
This actually sounds like a great idea ive been playing my thief for the last 2weeks now and am slightly peeved, so far all i can steal is ps's (all 115's still no 120) ::mad: and apples (good fun at yew gate when someones fighting especially if they dont notice) :D

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cute idea, but I'd rather the developers work on PvP stealing as opposed to PvE or NPC stealing. This idea is a step up from Doom...la

T

Traveller

Cute idea, but I'd rather the developers work on PvP stealing as opposed to PvE or NPC stealing. This idea is a step up from Doom...la
Yep, but check the last paragraph, the one about BODs to be filled with items stolen from players. Not saying I like it very much (stealing bandies is just not fun fo me), but it's still stealing from players.

S

Sweeney

Stealing bandages/regs/apples from players is indeed a worthless "carrot on a stick" bait. To all the young ones, (Ever seen Bugs Bunny dangle a carrot in front of the donkey he was riding?). This is a good idea, but needs some work. To elaborate, more risky steals vs a nicer reward.

T

Traveller

Stealing bandages/regs/apples from players is indeed a worthless "carrot on a stick" bait. To all the young ones, (Ever seen Bugs Bunny dangle a carrot in front of the donkey he was riding?). This is a good idea, but needs some work. To elaborate, more risky steals vs a nicer reward.
Good point, wholeheartedly agree.

R

RichDC

The only problem i see is that the most valuable item i have managed to steal in the last few months has been a boat deed! how can you fill bods with risky steals if the opportunity to steal it doesnt exist?

however nice idea.

T

Tailrim

yes i know Rico....but the facts are there.Like Shinobi said "insurance's there to stay" so we have to live with it. This idea is, imo, beter than stealing gold from monsters or just wasting time at yew gate waiting for someone who intentionaly leaves a +5 wrestling powerscroll in his pack so that a lucky thief can get a chance of stealing it !! I am actively trying to give ideas, not just complaining on a stomack ake (insurance) that will NOT go away .....la

D

Darien

This has my vote. It is very flexable and can be molded to satify the both PVP and PVE thieves.

R

Robthemilt

I am actively trying to give ideas, not just complaining on a stomack ake (insurance) that will NOT go away .....la
And it was a damn good attempt. Much better than sitting and complaining since patch 16. Hopefully someone pointful reads this.

Being able to Humiliate the target would be fun. The most humiliation i've done is adding "*kicks in the nuts*" to my steal macro. Now even if i fail...which i dont, they still get kicked in the nuts and try to kill me.

Having the Item show up in a random snooped pack for the BOD's was also a great idea. Get people to be out snooping. Even the most jaded thieves will be pleasantly suprised at some of the retardation you can find in a random pack.

S

Stupid Miner

The only problem i see is that the most valuable item i have managed to steal in the last few months has been a boat deed! how can you fill bods with risky steals if the opportunity to steal it doesnt exist?

however nice idea.
Steal nonphysical items? or give players "stealable-only" items like monsters.

Steal skills/stats from a player (temporary skill/stat loss) for a duration? and turn them into for a reward, or whatever.

just throwing out ideas