• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

They want to change sigil corruption into 24/7 affair

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, instead of being a constantly ongoing battle open for potentially all towns, the game instead would be a series of concentrated battles for single town at a time. At any given time, all online players would be able to tell what town's capture window is open. The idea is to capture that town's sigil, hold it for a short time to corrupt it, then successfully return it to the town. Failure of any faction to do so means the town goes uncontrolled until it comes up for capture again the next day.
This is just a terrible idea. To control just one town, your faction needs to fight every single day for 3 hours. One week it will be at 2PM. The next week it will be 2AM.

No faction is going to be able to hold every city. There isn't going to be any huge battles because every minute of the day there is a sigil in play. Only one sigil, meaning no "all or nothing" scenarios where you have a make or break fight to see who wins.

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with you JC! Back when the sigils were on the 4 corrupt and a shortened timer on the town post, everyone was burnt out fast because of the constantly fighting for the control.
Leave sigils as they are now, so you at least have a down period to restock, repair and do other things besides factions.

Cadderly

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Am I understanding this correctly? a little foggy on exactly what he is talking about.

I'm guessing he means each city sigil comes up one at a time so a town has to be controlled by a faction before the next city sigil comes up for play.

So it would be possible to own all the cities in a day by a single faction if they protected each individual sig for 3 hours for 24 hours straight. If this is true then this option would suck...

Little more of a description would be good. so far I don't care for this either.

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its every day, ever sigil, one at a time, every 3 hours for the rest of time... off set by a small amount of time so they are in a rotation that makes it so it you play from 4-6 each evening you won't be defending the same sigil all the time.

I really hope this does not ever happen,

Lore

W

wee papa smurf

This alone will kill factions! What a horrible idea, leave the timer the way it is PPPLLLEEEAAAASSSSEEEE!!! :sad4:

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do understand the wish for PvP battles everyday, but this way of doing it just wont work.
Securing towns has pride in it as well, if you could only capture towns once pr year, sure it would be one hell of a battle that day. But as you divide the time out making town control for only one day, the pride disappears.

The way I see it the conditions for faction have changed. The playerbase was online 24/7 five,six years ago to secure sigils, but now the playerbase has "grown up" and has limited playtime due to rl stuff. The result is that you wont see people playing 24/7 fighting for towns everyday. To get people online now it needs some sort of special event, there isnt much special about fighting for towns every single day.

conclusion: Make securing towns special and mean something, not an everyday normal thing.

[suggestion] Id like to see some kind of dimishing return on towns, so that the same faction wont secure for 6month in a row. i.e 6hours guarding sigil, next time 7h, 8h,9h,10h etc.

W

wee papa smurf

Securing towns has pride in it as well, if you could only capture towns once pr year, sure it would be one hell of a battle that day. But as you divide the time out making town control for only one day, the pride disappears.
Well said!! Everyone wants control of the towns, and you want to feel like you earned it! Guarding 3-4 hours is nothing really. There was always a massive sense of pride when you captured all 8 towns with the 10 hour timer (or if they were refreshed 10-20 hours lol!!)

tink'r_toiz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not very long ago we were dealing with the 4 hour corruption and the 6 hour purification, on the shards I played, everyone basically gave up the "battle" except for once in a while (imo, roughly on the old timer schedule). The dedicated thieves ran the sigs only when another faction actually took the notion to remove them from the town posts. For the first little while people did try to keep up with the 4/6 timer, we ran ourselves ragged during that time and the most, well stubborn, wore out the other factions until there was little attempt to corrupt.

You all have said it so well, it is a sense of pride and accomplishment to corrupt all 8 sigs by holding them 10 hours especially under siege from all factions. It is also a sense of accomplishment to break a good defense and refresh the sigils. Too short a corruption/purification timer takes this away. Anyone can defend 4 hours, especially late week night and unless there is some really incredible reward for owning each of the towns no one will want to corrupt one sig at a time, one after the other.

And while we are at it... what is your favorite faction location (base, town, etc) to fight? There has been a few times of late that the opposing factions have defended/broke defenses with the objective to force us to defend the sigils in TB base because they like the fights. Even when we don't have a defense up, a lot of times the fighting can be found in Brit and I am curious what you all think. Will everyone fight at these new bases or will they continue to fight in Brit and Yew gate?

I have done a lot of thinking about the potential changes and there are three possibilities for me:

1. This will cause me to leave the game I have loved since November 1999.
2. The fiction will support the changes well, the points, arties, timer issues are so well dealt with that I find value in continuing my dedication to faction play.
3. I so disagree with what is happening, factions are dying and I decide to take the factions back to Brit. Of late I have thought that I will defend brightly colored bag balls in my beloved castle if that is what it takes to keep the fights and pride in factions.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wanted to get my own point in, but it has already been said. That period with the 4/6 timer was one of the worst periods for factions on GL. Even AoS didn't kill factions on GL, but that timer nearly did. What is proposed by Phoenix would cause the same problem.

The fun in factions is the huge winner-takes-all battles. Without those it is boring, more work, and less rest.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just can't believe this is what the plan is. The new explanation makes it sound even worse than it did before.

Why won't they start with the good stuff, making town capture worthwhile? First they mess up the points and bases. Then they mess around with capturing sigils. It's like, lets put the cart before the horse. All people have been asking for all this time is to incenticise Factions, but it just isn't being done.

R

ReaperNI

i personaly think the way they have it now is fine but would like to see the timer shorted from 10 hours to maybe 6 or something i dunno just seems like after bout an hour everyone says this is broing and they roll then maybe group comes to fight everyone goes horay big fight one side wins then after bout 1/2 hour goes wow im bored again and rolls. the sigil thing though is way past my 10 min attention span.TYR