• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

They are even trying scams in here

G

A post was put in here which said something like "Have you seen this".
On that post was a link to what I think was meant to be something to do with EAs promissed setup on the web for stores.
When you clicked on that link it looked exactly like the logon screen for EA.
However as someone pointed out in a post just before it was taken off, the link address had nothing to do with EA.
It was most definately a scam to try and get peoples login details.
If you did click on this link and complete the login you should very quickly do the following.

1: Change your password.
2: Check to see if a parent control has been applied to your account.
3: If you have the same password for other common things like your email, change it to.

4: Notify EA and tell them you completedd that fake login.

M

Monkeybear

I was on stratics on my iPhone and read the thread, came to the pc to check it out and it was gone.

G

Yeah they got onto it pretty quickly I think, I was trying to post a warning something this one on there. By the time I finished typing it wouldn't go through. So they taken it off. Good work guys, and to the poster that spotted it and asked to have the link removed. It looked a couple of people atleast had completed the form as they had posted it said server full. I put this in because those people need to know and act very quickly. Can a mod please notify those 2 people that posted and advise them of what to do plz.

Z

Zinzi

Really? It's a scam? Someone posted that link in a house in EA-Land.... I just posted here what I found...

G

In case anyone missed Gregs message before I removed the thread:

GregK
TSO Developer

Moderators please remove link.

This is NOT an EA Site. EA sites ALWAYS end with .ea.com

If you entered your password here, I would recommend you change it.

Regards,
gk

G

<blockquote><hr>

In case anyone missed Gregs message before I removed the thread:

GregK
TSO Developer

Moderators please remove link.

This is NOT an EA Site. EA sites ALWAYS end with .ea.com

If you entered your password here, I would recommend you change it.

Regards,
gk

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep I saw that Niki, just didn't get time to see who posted it. good work, well picked up.
I think the 2 that posted that they recieved a message of server full need to be contacted, as they may have completed the form.

G

You bet, I sent PM's to the ones that posted and since I have no way to know who else clicked it but didnt post I copied Gregs message, hope this get to everyone who might be affected!

G

If you clicked on that e-mail, please change your password IMMEDIATELY!

Go to www.thesimsonline.com (you'll notice how the url automatically changes to have ea.com in there), click on My Account, and put in your account name and username. Under Member Info tab, click on "change password."

P

pegasussims

Thank you for the information. I was curious so I went there and completed the form. I have also changed my password. *sigh*

I

imported_Juniper Skye

I clicked on it but thankfully I though better of entering my information.

G

WOW I'm Glad I Seen This I Was Stupid And Clicked It Too...Changed My PWS Tho

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

Thank you for the information. I was curious so I went there and completed the form. I have also changed my password. *sigh*

[/ QUOTE ]

me too but im at work and have no idea if my account has been compromised.
( this is going to be a very slow afternoon... till i make it home.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

LOL Well.....glad I didn't try it. I read...."if luc invited you" and I knew I wasn't invited so I left it alone.

Good luck to all those who did try it though.

(I was actually thinking of coming here and saying something like....'Why weren't we ALL invited to try that?' lol)

I

Inge Jones

I think this is the first time I have actually fallen for this sort of thing! Probably cos there is so much new going on with TSO and it therefore looked quite plausible. I was comforted to see that there was no way to see my whole credit card number, even the account holder can't see that!

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

LOL Well.....glad I didn't try it. I read...."if luc invited you" and I knew I wasn't invited so I left it alone.

(I was actually thinking of coming here and saying something like....'Why weren't we ALL invited to try that?' lol)

[/ QUOTE ]

I decided to take a half a day, run my butt home, freak out while my computer loaded up, cry a little, and then see I'm safe! lol. Close one!

G

lol Qute, I think I would have done the same thing !

~~~~~~

Just a reminder guys, for obvious reasons please do not provide any details of the site in question when posting here.

Thanks

Polly

V

vapd3317

I didnt see the post myself,...so don't know what was asked of those that did register. However, you mentioned credit card number. If the site asked for such info, and it was provided, the nightmare is far from over. Anyone who may have entered that type of info needs to contact the creditor and verify any new expenses, and also disable that account number.

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

I didnt see the post myself,...so don't know what was asked of those that did register. However, you mentioned credit card number. If the site asked for such info, and it was provided, the nightmare is far from over. Anyone who may have entered that type of info needs to contact the creditor and verify any new expenses, and also disable that account number.

[/ QUOTE ]

No had nothing to do with credit card info, but if you sign into your ea account, you can see billing infomation. What someone said was; thankfully you can't see the entire credit card number there.

I

Inge Jones

Just Account Name and Password were asked for. Using those the person could have got into my EA account, but once there would not have been able to find out any RL bank info - though they could have played sillies with my sim or something.

A

Aelisa

I clicked on that link, but before I put in my user name and password I thought hmmm, this may not be legit, so I closed it instead. So glad I did! *sigh of relief*

I

imported_Cherri Bear

I fell for this as well.
Thankfully, I logged back onto stratics and saw this thread. I immediately changed my password.

Thank you to the poster who reported it and thank you Niki for removing it and helped calm me down in game a few minutes ago via pm.
Thank you Dev's for getting on this right away.

I can't believe I fell for a scam. The logon thing looked exactly like the EA logon, right down to the correct colors and wording.

I feel like crawling in a cave and going back into hibernation.

Hopefully everyone else's account is ok too!

G

((Bangs head against keyboard))

I did it too ((hangs head)) and couldn't remember which account I entered so had to do change password twice. Ugh.

I feel so dirty ((looks around for shower)).

BTW, the WHOIS search is interesting...

""Registrant:
Hurricane Industries
400 EA Way
San Francisco, California 10228
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: {{{{C E N S O R E D}}}
Created on: 11-Feb-08
Expires on: 11-Feb-09
Last Updated on: 11-Feb-08

Administrative Contact:
Lucado, Maxis [email protected]
Hurricane Industries
400 EA Way
United States
11111111 Fax --

Technical Contact:
Lucado, Maxis [email protected]
Hurricane Industries
400 EA Way
United States
11111111 Fax -- """""(end paste)

Lucado? Sounds like a (cough) Mafia. Anywho, I rushed in to Legacy city to check my oldest sim, she seems fine but is embarassed to have such a dumb blonde for a mother.

R

rookie

I was one of the stupid ones, I cant believe I fell for that. I logged in and it said server full there was no form to fill out. I just changed my password a few minutes ago, hopefully my account was not comprimised in any way. I'm usually very good at spotting fake sites and scams, I feel really dumb right now. I guess I never expected to see a link to a scam site on the boards here. Is there anything else I need to do?

I

imported_Qute Pi

Have you signed into your account to make sure everything is there?

If everything is there, changing your password is sufficient.

Seems like this is a first for many of us lol...I'm starting to feel better.

I

imported_Cherri Bear

<blockquote><hr>

lol enough room in your cave for me too? :p

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure! Come on in.

Blonde here too, but not a Mom.
I, for one, will never fill out my username and password anymore. Still can't believe I did that. ::Slaps head with claw::

G

To all of you that did get caught by this, I have noticed that many of you have said you have changed your password.
You also need to have checked your perant control, it was a fairly common scam for a while where someone was selling accounts and using the perant control to get access back to those accounts.
If a password has been applied for perant control an email is sent to the email address listed in the perant control when the account access password is changed. That email contains the new password.
So be sure you have checked out your perant control just to be safe.

G

I was stupid enough to enter my info into that site, I have logged into www.thesimsonline.com and have changed my account password now. hopefully I will be safe from this intruder! + my parental controls are both off they did not hit my account.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

vapd, she didn't say the site asked for cc info, she said that she was comforted to see that *if* the hacker had gotten into her account info at ea.com she was glad that he/she would not have been able to see it, as only the last 4 digits of the cc on file shows.

P

Purdy

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.
I figured I would wait for the invite and left. Plus being too lazy to bother helps.

But I did think it odd that Luc would do a test and not post in on the blog first and tell everyone there.

G

<blockquote><hr>

((Bangs head against keyboard))

I did it too ((hangs head)) and couldn't remember which account I entered so had to do change password twice. Ugh.

I feel so dirty ((looks around for shower)).

BTW, the WHOIS search is interesting...

[/ QUOTE ]I was about to ask someone for the exact link that was posted so I could do some IP parsing, but if it resolves to GoDaddy.com, there's little any third party can do to determine the site owners true identity (though I still think it would be fun to try
). But, in all seriousness, I truly hope EA plans to take action, which is going to have to involve suing GoDaddy.com for the registrant's information including IP addresses used to set up the account.

G

Oh yeaaaaah! Lawsuit! Count me in. I can be the token dumb blonde!

T

Tristan Lewis

Not sure how bad yet its being worked on but i got taken pretty bad Lee my hero is looking into it. All i can say is OMG TYVVVVVVVVM!!!!!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Not sure how bad yet its being worked on but i got taken pretty bad Lee my hero is looking into it. All i can say is OMG TYVVVVVVVVM!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I am really sorry to hear that, hope everything works out for you and it doesn't cost you anything.
On the upside, maybe this might lead to the scum getting caught. who knows what tracking devices EA has in place now, maybe your misfortune might lead to him getting caught and you getting everything back.
I am sure Lee will look after you no matter what the outcome.

G

I'm hoping that Maxis/EA goes after these frauds and sues there pants off them. we all got duped, which is not right!

Sue them Maxis/EA

G

OH no.. damn.. maybe I should of read this last night... Got home jumped right into game and didn't read this forum.. darn it.. now I'm stuck here till 5:30 and another 1.5 hour home.. I'm gonna loose my mind... shoot.. well didn't check all the sims.. was to busy changing prices in tc3 store to get to any other city last night.. darn it... frustration setting in.. I hope my girls are ok.. forgot which account I logged in with so did go and change all of them .. but still.. damn.. only 5 1/2 hrs to go..

I can't believe that others could do this. I really hope EA goes after them with full guns. With all the changes going on.. and new players... this wont be the first or last I'm sure... Guess we all need our sim radars on and keep out for each other...

S

Sativa L

<blockquote><hr>

To all of you that did get caught by this, I have noticed that many of you have said you have changed your password.
You also need to have checked your perant control, it was a fairly common scam for a while where someone was selling accounts and using the perant control to get access back to those accounts.
If a password has been applied for perant control an email is sent to the email address listed in the perant control when the account access password is changed. That email contains the new password.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you! That is a bit of useful information that I did not know

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you! That is a bit of useful information that I did not know

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm... another little issue y'all should be aware of, if you aren't already. Your account info would have been exposed - meaning your name, address, phone number and e-mail address. You'll have to think, and decide if that is a problem for you.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Hmm... another little issue y'all should be aware of, if you aren't already. Your account info would have been exposed - meaning your name, address, phone number and e-mail address. You'll have to think, and decide if that is a problem for you.

[/ QUOTE ]I hadn't considered that...

Whoever perpetuated this phishing attempt may have only intended to steal in-game items. But since it involves and exposes personal financial information, the person(s) responsible for this have committed identity theft - a felony which carries extreme penalties in the US. Additionally, in case the person(s) responsible are not US citizens: Extraditions for identity theft cases are becoming more commonplace, with more countries cooperating than ever before.

I strongly recommend EA pursue this matter as an identity theft and refer the case to the FBI. The FBI may not care about small-time hacking attempts to steal virtual property, but they will take great interest in operations that compromise Privacy Act and financial information.

In case the person(s) responsible are reading this: Drop everything you are doing right now, and shut down your site. You are in grave trouble, and will only make it worse for yourself if you do not cease and desist immediately.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Whoever perpetuated this phishing attempt may have only intended to steal in-game items. But since it involves and exposes personal financial information, the person(s) responsible for this have committed identity theft - a felony which carries extreme penalties in the US. Additionally, in case the person(s) responsible are not US citizens: Extraditions for identity theft cases are becoming more commonplace, with more countries cooperating than ever before.

I strongly recommend EA pursue this matter as an identity theft and refer the case to the FBI. The FBI may not care about small-time hacking attempts to steal virtual property, but they will take great interest in operations that compromise Privacy Act and financial information.

In case the person(s) responsible are reading this: Drop everything you are doing right now, and shut down your site. You are in grave trouble, and will only make it worse for yourself if you do not cease and desist immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope that EA goes hard on this and makes an example of this person. Too much of this sort of thing happened behind the scenes in tso. This is very likely a person that has done this type of thing before. A friend of mine I know in rl that used to play tso kept loosing stuff from his account. We changed his password and his parent control and he still, “months later I will add” lost items again. What we then figured out is that my friend had used the same password for his email and this low life had access to that and could gain account info from accessing his email. I think these guys think it’s just a miner issue, part of the way they play, having fun their way. It needs to be shown how serious an issue it is. I will say WHEN here, because I am sure this person will be caught. When caught EA should post it and say what charges have been placed.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

But the only info on the account is name, address and e-mail.....no financial information except the last 4 digits of your credit card number, and not even that if you're playing on a time code, so at worst I'd think that all you'd need to do is change your password on your e-mail account and be especially careful with clicking links you get in e-mail for a good while, right?

T

Tristan Lewis

Well so far I've lost a 28 day old sim with maxed cooking and 1.99 creativity. 15 jam tables,1 pizza table, 1 code machine, showers, urinals, fridge, stove, food processor,pest motels, carnyvines, and some CC, and 17k cash. Most of all till Lee sorts this all out he owns our 129k house. Thay thought thay were getting 7 trees till thay used King Jammer to boot all his roomies and thay all poofed cause king didnt own them.Waiting Patiently all we really care about is getting our Home back anything more will be a bonus.

G

My question is what's happening to the people posting these. Are they getting the normal warning, or is action being taken to prevent this from happening again?

G

They're not going to be able to discuss any actions pending or taken in public. But I'm pretty sure it's being dealt with.

G

Mayhaps R I P H E A R T O U T ? Surley a mere P I L E D R I V E will not suffice. Hey, how about sharing the names, descriptions, locations of the sims. We can make their lives miserable in the meantime

G

<blockquote><hr>

A post was put in here which said something like "Have you seen this".
On that post was a link to what I think was meant to be something to do with EAs promissed setup on the web for stores.
When you clicked on that link it looked exactly like the logon screen for EA.
However as someone pointed out in a post just before it was taken off, the link address had nothing to do with EA.
It was most definately a scam to try and get peoples login details.
If you did click on this link and complete the login you should very quickly do the following.

1: Change your password.
2: Check to see if a parent control has been applied to your account.
3: If you have the same password for other common things like your email, change it to.

4: Notify EA and tell them you completedd that fake login.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh the penny just dropped - a guy imed me at my shop in ealand iming me a site to go to where I could advertise my shop etc and said that the only thing they asked was that i advertised the site in my bio - i did go to look at site and while it was coming up thought nahhhhhhhh and clicked out, sure i bookmarked the sim for future reference....... sorry to all who got caught out, an easy mistake to make and i hope they hang the culprit out to dry (nahhh hanging them good enough - pref by the *****)