• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] There are scripter fishers!

BluDjinn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are scripter fishers!

I saw on another post that none have been spotted

I see a scripter almost every day.
He recalls on to a little point near where I keep my ship docked.
He recalls in, cast to one side awhile then turns and cast to the other side then recalls out. He repeats about every 20min, going on for days 24/7.
Oh this is a spot with no spawn.
I know his name and have exact coordinates to his recall spot.

Now I personally don't see how this effects my game play, so I have no problem if this is what he wishes to do.

But there be scripters here!

D

DVDA

I dont get it though, whats the point of recalling in every 20 minutes? Does is the water only 4 tiles long?

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Simple he is going to other spots also letting them refresh?

But i dont see the point of fishing from land, what is he scripting for there is nothing you catch that provides any benifit?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now I personally don't see how this effects my game play, so I have no problem if this is what he wishes to do.

I think that scripters do hurt non-scripting players game play.

Why ?

Because they devalue the time spent in game by other players (in PvP they help the scripters win more easily against players not scripting...).

I will try to better explain my opinion with some examples.

A good example is Bulk Order Deeds.

For someone who does not script, trying to get a high end Large BOD for a Barbed Runic Sewing Kit or a Verite/Valorite Hammer is extremely hard. Which means, having to invest a whole lot of time when playing the game to get this particular item.

Now, a scripter, being able to just script the gathering of BODs, can do it not necessarily during the time they play the game. And the more that BODs are scripted, the more the value of the high end items they bring as rewards goes down.

Now, those players NOT scripting will STILL have to spend countless time when playing UO trying to get these items but then they see the market value of these items go down and down and more down. So down, that even if a player (not scripting) wanted to earn those high end items on their own, it is simply not worth the time they would have to invest.

I will make an example.

Barbed runic Kits sell on most shards about 1 million per kit, sometimes even less (I have even seen them at 500k per). I think that this low value is also because BODs are so easily scripted.

Now, if a player not scripting wanted to earn a Barbed Runic Sewing Kit, they would have to invest many many hours into trying to get the needed Large and small BODs (unless they were extremely lucky....). Many more hours than the time it would take to simply do something else in the game and earn a million gp and just buy the barked kit.

Bottom line is, that the way I see it, that scripting devalues the time spent in game by non scripting players and makes in the end all activities being scripted not worth it for non scripting players. They better just do something else in the game and buy those items/resources from those players who scripted them, which of course, becomes even an higher incentive for scripting thus making the problem of scripting in the game worse and worse....

But this, clearly, deprives many non scripting players from doing a whole lot of game activities. That is, they pay their subscription to be able to enjoy the full game but in the end, because of scripting, many in game activities are made not worth their time and so they end up playing the game less than they could or might want if scripting did not exist.

Now, let's move to fishing, the topic of this thread.

We all know that fishing quests are VERY time consuming. They are so, because fishing takes time, a lot of time in between shallow, deep and dungeon waters fishing AND, for crabs and lobsters fishing. They are the pre-requisite to be able to fill in the fishmonger orders for the Quests that bring in the rewards.

Now, if scripters script the fishing part, which they can do overnight or at times they are not playing UO, when they actually play UO they already have a bunch of fish, crabs and lobsters to use as a stock to do their fishmonger Quests. That is, in the time they actually play the game, since they do not need to ALSO fish up fish and crabs/lobsters, they can do a whole lot more Quests than those players not scripting.

And since they can do a whole lot more Quests, they have much higher chances to earn the best rewards from fishing. And as the market gets flooded by these rewards, since scripters get more and more and more, their value goes down making it not worth it, like for the BOD example above, for non scripters, to bother to invest so much of their time into fishing and doing the Quests, since it would be more worth it for them to just do something else in UO when playing the game that earns them the gold to just buy whatever Rewards they want from the fishmonger Quests.

Another activity in the game that scripting takes away to non scripting players simply, because it makes it not worth it for non scripting players to spend their time on that activity being scripted by others.

This is why I think that scripting hurts so much the game and other players.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: Simple he is going to other spots also letting them refresh?

But i dont see the point of fishing from land, what is he scripting for there is nothing you catch that provides any benifit?

Well, the fishmonger Quests do request also shallow fish......

Perhaps the scripter was building up again the stock of shallow waters fish to be used then for fishmonger Quests at a later time ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont get it though, whats the point of recalling in every 20 minutes? Does is the water only 4 tiles long?

There could be several reasons for the recalling intervals.

For example, dry out a spot, recall to another, dry it out, recall to bank, empty pack, blah blah in a cycle long enough that getting back to the start of that cycle would take all in all about 20 minutes ?

The fact that a scripter shows up at a given spot every 20 minutes does not mean that somewhere else in the game the same scripted activity is not going on during those 20 minutes...

D

DVDA

I get that popps but I don't see how this is efficent, why not stay in one place?

Ie fish, move 4 to left/right, fish, dump in packy, move 4 to left/right, fish...

Recalling around like that is a waste of time

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I get that popps but I don't see how this is efficent, why not stay in one place?

Ie fish, move 4 to left/right, fish, dump in packy, move 4 to left/right, fish...

Recalling around like that is a waste of time
Recalling to a new spot isn't really any more a waste of time than moving a boat (or walking) 8 tiles to reach a new resource tile. In fact, recalling is quicker.
It's probably a modified recall mining script, since they're kind of similar processes.

Ertai Vodalion

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
seen a fisherman doing it yesterday night on Europa.

when getting close to the guy he recalled away - so i made him recall a lot ;)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Scripting appears to be almost entirely for Shallow fish; the Dungeon fish theoretically could be scripted, but the dungeons that can be teleported into have few areas (none that I can think of right off the bat) that would be safe for an automated character (and could end up getting the character killed quicker than a recall out).

The current boat issues and scripters being too hands off to remember to refresh their ships, make large scale scripting of deepwater fish and crustaceans unlikely (especially when a big fish could easily screw up a script run with single cast, resulting in the next 30-40 fish dropping to the deck - or worse, if the script doesn't remove marlin-body fish from the pack, as a oversight). Those that exist would most likely be by multi-account types with semi-manned computers (still using some automation, and multiple screens, with player intervention to avoid water eles and pirates, and drop big fish that show up).