• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

There are other ways to deal with it.

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Last weekend, my sister told me her mother in law had died. The mother in law had been abusing pain killers and had overdosed signifigantly. She wound up being resusitated three times in a row. Then she woke up I'm not sure what was said. Before this my sister said they'd have an intervention. I"m not sure what the events were up to this point, but was "her old self" after waking and was transfered to hospice. She then died in her sleep. The title of this thread relates tho the situation in that there are other ways to deal with whatever you might think is a good reason to commit suicide over. In fact there is nothing good about it.

My sister would complain bitterly about the mother in law. Our mother, the one I share with my siblings, is the same age but has had severe dementia since retiring at 65. Both women were to be 74 this year, the mother in law older than my mom by six months.

The tricky part is the dementia. It's a disease that affects the brain, causing progressive brain damage and memory loss. So far mom can remember us on sight but might not remember our names. The only noun she can remember is "the pill" and this a bitter irony as the other grandmother to my nieces and nephews abused her own pills. We took mom to the zoo Tuesday of last week. We saw a lot of animals that were interesting but I'm not sure how much she can remember or would retain later from the event. Her care is very expensive, in the 5k range per month.

It matters not how much pain you are feeling, or how unbearable you think your situation is. You only live once and you have to be considerate of those who love you. I know at times families can cause one member of the group to feel as an outsider. The woman who died I considered a friend. We just talked at holidays and she wouldn't judge me.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I completely agree, especially about the dementia part. My grandfather who is 88 and has dementia is currently in the hospital, he is refusing to eat, trying to starve himself to death. He sometimes thinks he is in the 1950's working at his job again, hallucinating and re-living memories. It's sad to see family members or friends suffer, especially when they hate their situation so much they would rather just end it all.

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My best friend lost his leg in a motorcycle accident and it amused me at how some of our other friends attitudes towards "ski" changed. How he now in their opinions he had to be treated differently, we still went out, partied, drank, fought and picked up.

One night we drank at a bar until it closed and where kicked out and barred because I had taken Ski into the women's toilets as the men's had been locked and we wanted to shoot up morphine, shot up. Kicked out and ski was so ****ed up he ran me over. Being a true friend he got a passer by to throw me into his modified car and take me to an all night bar where he bought me a bottle of.whiskey to ease the pain I couldnt feel. I went into shock and started throwing glasses at the bouncers who ejected us.

Ski drove me back to his place, had his female flatmate undress me and tend to my wounds and sweet darkness took hold.

A year or so later he odes on morphine. Best friend I ever had.

Last edited:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
My mother died of Alzheimer's at age 87. It is, in my opinion, an especially cruel disease. Whatever takes me at end-of-life, I just pray that isn't it. :(

In the meantime, I try to be more charitable these days to even people I don't care much for. As you say, life is short...