• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Zealotry of Zipactriotl or how NOT to make a quest chain

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have been trying to complete this on Legends. Problem is assembling a group. I have a interested group but its hard to assembly them. Would the quest transfer if I decided to transfer to oh say Chessy, GL, or (OMG) Atlantic? I am doing this to get the Moonstone Crystal for our Rune library. This is frustrating.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Getting a group together for Zippy (or the Queen) is tough. The quest chain is quite the commitment, what with having to do the war Every. Freaking. Time. (@Kyronix What do you say to removing the war requirement after the first time? It's really making this dead content after barely more than a year :()

One tip to make the quest faster, is to do the war and then repeat the other individual pieces until you have stocked up a supply of the Kotl tech parts (this also works for the Queen-side pieces). Then you just do the war each time and turn in a set from storage. It's still a massive time investment, but it feels a bit easier this way.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Or just do like I did and say screw this, and make a deal for one on Atlantic :D

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Getting a group together for Zippy (or the Queen) is tough. The quest chain is quite the commitment, what with having to do the war Every. Freaking. Time. (@Kyronix What do you say to removing the war requirement after the first time? It's really making this dead content after barely more than a year :()

One tip to make the quest faster, is to do the war and then repeat the other individual pieces until you have stocked up a supply of the Kotl tech parts (this also works for the Queen-side pieces). Then you just do the war each time and turn in a set from storage. It's still a massive time investment, but it feels a bit easier this way.
I like the way you think. I agree they need to remove the war part after the first time you run it. I'll stock pile the tech parts like you suggested! Thank you!

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly once you figure out the war part it moves pretty fast. If you stock up on all the other quest parts, you can pretty easily solo the war part in 25 minutes ish. That is a heck of a lot faster than SG rooms every time.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly once you figure out the war part it moves pretty fast. If you stock up on all the other quest parts, you can pretty easily solo the war part in 25 minutes ish. That is a heck of a lot faster than SG rooms every time.
I agree, the war can be quick, ~25 mins is probably pretty accurate, but that's just a single part of the chain. the whole process needs to be counted, and the reward isn't even close in comparison that shadowguard offers, even if you get no pack-drops.. the average loot alone in shadowguard>roof is more useful/valuable than your average zippy/queen loot + reward.

Good luck with that, numerous people (myself included) said that exact thing, imo the War should only be something that needs to be repeated IF you choose to change your allegiance...
apparently the Devs didn't see it the same way. Here we are!

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree, the war can be quick, ~25 mins is probably pretty accurate, but that's just a single part of the chain. the whole process needs to be counted, and the reward isn't even close in comparison that shadowguard offers, even if you get no pack-drops.. the average loot alone in shadowguard>roof is more useful/valuable than your average zippy/queen loot + reward.

Good luck with that, numerous people (myself included) said that exact thing, imo the War should only be something that needs to be repeated IF you choose to change your allegiance...
apparently the Devs didn't see it the same way. Here we are!
Ya, but the other pieces can be farmed and stored which is a HUGE bonus over SG. Killing 20 vorpal bunnies or gambling during some down time is pretty easy....

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i wanted to check this out but when i read the guide i was like.. well that sounds time consuming. if anyone wants anther player to tag along on this id be interested on Atl. icq 382-462-294.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
In my opinion, the problem with these quest chains isn't the "war", I think it's that amount of different mini-quests that need to be completed. The Salty Sea portion of Zippy and Gambling part of Myrmidex Queen, in particular, are a real pain in the butt.

Something else I would prefer to see would be to make the keys work along the same lines of Peerless style keys (without the timer) where one person could collect a set of keys and then take the group through the war and onto the boss, without needing to grab multiple sets for every single person.

I think you would see more groups of all sizes doing these encounters if the keying were a bit more reasonable.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Something else I would prefer to see something along the lines of Peerless style keys (without the timer) where one person could collect a set of keys and then take the group through the war and onto the boss, without needing to grab multiple sets for every single person.
Pretty sure the time intensive "keying" process having to be done by each person going was done in attempts to quell the multi-boxers from having easy access.. the problem is that it was a swing and a miss lol. Multi-boxers just take all their chars along at one time.

Seems every time they swing at the cheats they miss and knock the heck out of the normal player right in the skull...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pretty sure the time intensive "keying" process having to be done by each person going was done in attempts to quell the multi-boxers from having easy access.. the problem is that it was a swing and a miss lol. Multi-boxers just take all their chars along at one time.

Seems every time they swing at the cheats they miss and knock the heck out of the normal player right in the skull...
That's because they limit themselves to swinging at a toddler level. If they really cared they'd bother to log into virtually any EM event and slap the multiboxers like female canines in heat. But, they don't because made up reasons and ToSes are hard yo!

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was told by a friend that only 2 peeps had to have the "keys" and as long as everyone had done the battle they could go in to kill zippy. Also, I found out that anyone can get the keys main quest or not. I got my tamer out and got 3 of the four keys on him. I guess the next question is "how cheap can you get a moonstone Crystal?"

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was told by a friend that only 2 peeps had to have the "keys" and as long as everyone had done the battle they could go in to kill zippy. Also, I found out that anyone can get the keys main quest or not. I got my tamer out and got 3 of the four keys on him. I guess the next question is "how cheap can you get a moonstone Crystal?"
They were around 20-25ish mil.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
20-25 mil sounds resonible.. last I look for one i found for like 50 or 55mil(of atlantic).. I was nope, i will just do the quest chian myself.. LMAO!! And here I am.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
20-25 mil sounds resonible.. last I look for one i found for like 50 or 55mil(of atlantic).. I was nope, i will just do the quest chian myself.. LMAO!! And here I am.
They *may* have gone back up once everyone who wanted one got theirs and the supply has become low with the quest chain being almost dead :confused:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The quest chain is a little painful, but really isn't that bad.

The bad part of the battle, really, is its length. But, I was able to finish training Parry on my paladin, thanks to the battles.

The rest of the items can be done by other characters. Things to remember:
  1. If you've trained up Honesty, and don't want it to drop like a rock, buy the item from the Lycaeum on another character. On the other hand, if you don't mind training Honesty a lot, Knight of Honesty is the way to go for buying the items. And, of course, you can stockpile them.
  2. Getting the T-map requires ML gems. However, you can get those gems as a side-effect of doing the friend of the Jukari tribe quest, and looting the gems from the Volcano elemental (strangely, the elementals have the Amber (and luminescent fungi & parasitic plant) from Lumberjacking and the Pearl from Fishing, in addition to the mining gems).
  3. Green nets and the salvage hooks from the underwater quest are great shortcuts to getting the critters to kill for the MIB. And, if you are into them, there are more MIBs to be had from the kraken (and potentially from the Sea Serpents if you fish for them instead of sail around - as well as more nets to toss for kraken). Thanks to a dozen or more trips to Zippy in the last year, I had all kinds of low level T-maps and SOS - and after doing the T-maps, now have 192 MIBs to open.
  4. The T-map and MIB can be done by another character, and the MIB has the standard chance to be an ASOS when opened.

So, if you actually have a T-hunter and a fisher, the quests can actually give you plenty of things to do when not hanging out with friends. In doing my roughly 200 maps, most 1st-2nd level, I ended up with over 100k cleanup points from the completed maps, tasty treats, vines, extra skeleton keys (when you get one to 1 use, toss it for points) and (from the level 6-7) minor artifacts, sashes, etc. As well as a couple hundred items worth enhancing or imbuing from the junk (for example, clean 1-property jewelry with only SSI).

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When you don't have the time and the thought of repeating over and over until you get the moonstone blah
I'll just buy one when one is available on my shard
I'm not looking for an easy button just don't have that kinda time to grind and grind being bored like most things in uo anymore

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well keep in mind if the RNG hates you as much as it does me, you might have to do that damned thing 6-8 times or more to get the crystal. it's not a guarantee.

I think I paid 30...best money ever spent, saved me a lot of frustration :p