• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Yves St Laurent guide to smithing

• Thread starter imported_TobyOne
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_TobyOne

*Gives the TobyOne stamp of approval*

/forum_images/default/icons/smile.gif

May the Forge be With You,
TobyOne (<font color=red>PhX</font color=red>, <font color=blue>GrandMaster Smith</font color=blue>)
(Co-Owner of <font color=red>Lord Ulysses and Friends</font color=red>)
(Supporting member of <font color=blue>United Blacksmiths of Britain</font color=blue>)

T

Thunderbolt

Totally agree Yves.
However....
A similar article could be written on "Asking for repairs etiquette"

M

Mage Falstaff

Ask and ye shall receive. This is my take on repair etiquette. It is in two parts.

The Smith.

Remember at all times, you are providing a service to your customers. Be polite. If someone offers you extra gold to do something right away and you have a line of customers, refuse. By accepting his offer, you relay to the people waiting that gold is more important to you. It is my opinion that if people see this, you will lose business. Also, just because that one person is in a hurry and can't wait, does not mean that the others in line are not in a hurry too. Make a macro to assist in repairing. This will speed up your service. Last but not least, if you fail to repair an item, be honest. Your honestly will friend more people than if you try to cover it up.

The Customer.

Ok, Amazing Bill on Chessie, how did you get the people to form a line???? I never get that courtesy. This helps keep order for the smith. Most times, there is only one GM smith repairing. They have several people asking him for repairs and orders. It is very easy to lose track of what is going on. Wait your turn in line and then ask for what you want. If you are in line and someone asks if a gm smith is on duty, please be kind enough to respond, "Why yes. Brendan is a gm smith and the end of his line is right behind me (or whoever). This helps to expedite the work the smith is doing for the current customer, thus making the line go faster. Another thing to help your repairs go faster is to bag them. Now, when you bag them, do NOT just dump the items in a bag. An orderly bag allows me to repair much more faster. If you have too many items to allow this, multiple bags are acceptable. If you, as a customer, are ordering items, I myself will NOT make plate items on the fly at the forge. Respect that. As plate is very difficult to make, it is time consuming and frustrating (especially when you have a large line). I myself will usually trade icq numbers with the person and ask them to icq me their order if they still want it. Lastly, be polite to the smith. They are offering their time to provide you with a service. I am not above turning down someone that I deem rude (once had a person accuse me of selling non gm MARKED items to him and that I was a fraud. Politely told him that I dont provide substandard services, and since he thought my services were such, to look for another smith).

The humble opinions above are mine alone. I am not sure how many other smiths feel the same. But I do my best to serve my customers as fast and as professionally as I can. I hope this helps.

Brendan
Gm Smith/Miner
Chesapeake

S

Sendaria

The repair ettiquette post is excellent, and mirrors how I work.
Perhaps Mage Falstaff could copy it, and post it into the assorted warrior forums as well.

Although Yves is played as a mild mannered man, he has been known to lose his temper (normally when I am tired!) and he has been known to REALLY have a go at a particular customer on occasion. In these circumstances I never start insulting the player in RL terms, but I do roleplay it. This is quite funny, because almost all my customers are regulars, and normally join in to support me! Once I offered a duel to a player (Yves has 50 macing skill!), because-as I said- my reputation means more to me than my life (I can get my life back in 30 seconds-so it is true).

Yves st. Laurent - Royal Smith of Order of the Ebon Hand Europa Shard
A smith with a heart and a Grandmaster at his professions.
Favourite hangout: Trammel - Britain south forge

I

imported_TobyOne

Hehehe.
If you need backup, give me a shout:eek:)

I'd flame his ass away in a matter of seconds:eek:)

TobyOne (<font color=red>PhX</font color=red>, <font color=blue>GrandMaster Smith</font color=blue>)
(Supporting member of <font color=blue>United Blacksmiths of Britain</font color=blue>)

T

Thunderbolt

My earlier post was meant to be a bi tounge in cheek but Mage Falstaf's reply is most excellent.
Thanks for your trouble.

Thunderbolt
GM Smith
Europa

S

Sendaria

But think how pleasant life could be if the warriors read, and followed it!

No more spamming at the forge.
No people just thrusting bags into your overloaded arms.
etc etc etc

T

Thunderbolt

Don't know if it's just me. But any trade window that opens with repairs that have not been asked for gets closed.
Once gave someones repairs to the wrong person during a busy period.
Tried explaining that if you just thrust repairs at a smith it can be confusing. Poor bloke lost some nice magic swords in the process. Did'nt feel this was entirely my fault though.
Big argument ensued with me being called a thief, scammer etc. in front of customers.(not good for buisiness at all)

So for any warriors reading this please ASK for repairs do not demand them as your right or shove them in my face. I will always do your repairs but manners get them done quicker

Just my 2gp

Thunderbolt
GM Smith
Europa

Y

Ysane

Even if I had given it a try, there's little chance in my mind that I could have done a more thourough job!

Anyone who's wanting to learn blacksmithing (and those who have already) need to read this.

Please 'o please lemme post this at UBB!

Ysane
Guildmaster
United Blacksmiths of Britannia
[email protected]

S

Sendaria

*Honoured*

*Bows*

*Blushes*

I am more than happy for this to be posted onto the UBB site- I used it a lot whilst I was training. I kept the essay to roleplaying a smith, alongside skill progression, but had I thought earlier I would have also mentioned that there are a number of excellent smithing sites, of which the UBB is certainly one of the best, especially in terms of research and information, so follow Ysanes link and have a look through it (ignore the prices though!)

I did a lot of reading from these sites as I wanted to learn a lot about my skill, the reason being that many players will ask for advice, and smithing is one of the few skills that actually requires you to have a good knowledge of the items you sell. For this the UBB site is invaluble.

Y

Ysane

*pouts*

I think the ingot pricing list is just fine as it is now.

But the other lists have been taken down prior to UO:R to redo them all. Formatting is settled on, now just need to start plugging in the the values. Once I get some extra input on prices that is!

Ysane
Guildmaster
United Blacksmiths of Britannia
[email protected]

S

Sendaria

Hi, this feels like a bit of an ego trip, but it is meant as a place where experienced smiths can pool their thoughts and wisdom to help less experienced players in their quest to be "a great smith" (the thread that inspired this essay). It is not a post on how to GM asap, or what to make when.

So, the first question is starting skills, this is easy- mining 50, & smithing 50. As soon as you can afford it buy some magery (30 will just about let you recall- an essential skill).

Next problem is where to smith. In my opinion you should choose somewhere busy, the busier the better. This means 2 options worth considering- The Hammer and anvil in Brit, or Minoc. Why somewhere where it is busy? You gain several advantages- firstly players see you and get to know you-so your face is familiar-people will trust a well known face over someone new. Secondly there are other smiths around if you need help or advice. Thirdly as you train you can watch the other smiths at work and see how they sell, and very importantly get a good idea of prices. Finally if you need to buy ingots, miners come to these spots-this is important even if you plan to mine yourself.

So, you are now ensconsed at a busy forge making your items, what do you do? At first just train, but make an effort to talk to people. If players ask for repairs explain you are only training, but that when you are better you will be happy to repair for them. Watch the comings and goings of players-If a player is looking for a specific smith, tell him if you have seen him or not-basically get involved. When you log on, say hello to the other smiths, and goodbye when you leave. All this gets you known, and it is your reputation that you trade on as much as your skill (if not more). By doing this you will get to know the other smiths, the customers and the miners-essential knowledge for the future.

Whilst you are building skill, also build up some arms lore-this is a very useful skill for a training smith.

Once you get to 70-80 skill you can start to offer repairs. Hopefully your face will be familiar to many people by now, and some will start to ask for help. Always say yes, if you can-but always explain that you are not a GM. Don't give away your exact skill, but state you are an adept, or whatever (I told people I was a master smith from about 80 skill!). This is where that arms lore skill comes in- arms lore EVERYTHING! Anything badly damaged, do not repair it-ask the customer first-explaining its state. People will come to trust your judgement, and know that you are reliable. A lot will tell you to try anyway-if it breaks they knew the risk and will accept the loss as their decision. You should soon have a regular repair trade that will actually be bringing in some money.

By this stage the CHARACTER should be emerging. It is essential to roleplay your smith, and stay in character as much as possible-players do like it, even if they do not roleplay. This does not mean Elizebethan olde worlde English, if you don't want-but a style of your own-something to make you different. I played Yves as a very polite, slightly effeminate character-called everyone sir or madam, always said please or thankyou etc. I guess he was like those old tailors you meet if you get a decent suit made (no 15 year old will know what I mean by that!). Never charge for repairs. At this point it is more important to have a stream of customers, not a stream of 100gp's-many players tip anyway. It is also bad pactise to refuse a repair, if it is possible to do it. This becomes a problem during power hours, as to waste them is not a good idea. I used to log out at the forge, fully equipped for the next days power hour. The next day I logged in, and hid-I then worked the entire power hour whilst hidden, which avoided repair requests.

After 80, all the way to 99.9 you should continue as above, but you are capable of making an increased number of items to exceptional quality. Keep these, and sell them to players. If you make an exceptional katana, wait till you see someone shouting for a GM one, and sell him yours for 150gp. Exceptional are as good as GM, explain that to your customers. Heater shields are big business for all smiths.

At GM, you are there. Keep going, using the same character roleplay skills and you will be very successful-your reputation will proceed you, and your customers will recommend you to their friends. By now you will have a thriving business, and probably made a lot of friends. You will also have advance orders on suits of platemail for when you hit GM! Keep repairing, and personally if I break something I replace it-even though it is not my fault (these things happen) it is good for customer relations.

Miners
I have saved this for last. One very important aspect is your relationship with miners. Even if you GM mining, the chances are you will not have time to dig enough ingots to keep you in stock (I have had single orders for 30 suits of plate!). This means it is essential to have acess to miners. My approach was to buy all the time. Even now I set up deals with miners where I guarentee to buy ALL their ingots, at as cheaper price as I can manage. Unfortunately at the moment ingots are expensive, so I definately recommend training smiths dig their own where possible. This also allows you to start stockpiling coloured ingots, which are where the big bucks are. By the time you GM smithing, your mining should be pretty good too-so you have access to a number of sites with the coloured ores. Share these with any miners you buy from regularly. As their skill increases they need new sites, give yours to them-but only as long as they promise you first refusal, at a pre arranged price. This method is so good I had a GM miner digging for me who charged me 12gp for valorite, & 8 for verite! This meant I was making a very big profit margin on my suits, and could afford to throw in a FREE heater, or whatever to make them look better value, or make the customer feel special. Miners will look for long term deals, and it is up to you to tie them up as early as possible. If buying is becomeing expensive, sell them on-I sell iron at 9gp when I get too many-so I still make 4gp (80%) profit on an ingot, and have never let my miners down. I had an advantage here, because I had other characters that had money to kick start me, if you dont, then spend some time smithing items for gold (kite shields are good) and sell them to npc's. Just make sure of 2 things- (1) have enough ingots for the power hour, (2) you buy all the miners ingots. Remember dull copper are as good as iron if you are making weapons, or training-many miners throw them in for free, try asking for them.

The most important aspect is to have fun with a smith character. It is a game, and should be played as such, but hopefully these ideas will help you have fun and be "a great smith" at the same time.

This is not the be all and end all on smithing, by any stretch of the imagination, I might add more thoughts as they occur to me, and hopefully so will others. If you disagree then say so, if you agree-also say so.this is a post to set out my ideas into the forum, and for other ideas to be shared.

I

imported_TobyOne

I'd be glad to help you out!

S

Sendaria

I did say lots of nice things about the site!

Actually I would advise all players to treat any price list with caution. Many web sites are made with a lot of enthusiasm, and then never updated-I know this with my own! (This is certainly NOT the case with UBB, by the way).

The main reason though is there seems to be price difference across shards, I dont know why but this just seems to be the case. I also alter my prices to reflect economic conditions, and my own personal circumstances. As an example, pre-ore reset I had about 20 valorite spots, so I could dig it pretty easily-now I have 1 small one (after 2 days of mining)! This means I must reprice my valorite suits as the work involved in getting the metal is different-so the price is different. I can be cheaper if I am digging myself to if I buy the metal, etc etc etc. No list, no matter how comprehensive can reflect these transient micro and macro economic changes.

S

Sendaria

I've been made sticky!!!!!

First thread of mine ever!

K

Kevin

Great advice. I wish my warriors on Drachenfels would form a line for repairs. What do other smiths do when a warrior hands you a bag full of plate ( for repair ) and makes you so overloaded you cannot move and then he moves off screen to chat to his mates!!
Can anyone provide English/German translations for parts of armour and weapons?

J

JAYKAY

Don't accept it and tell him why. People should be pulled up on their uncivil behaviour :)

I

imported_TobyOne

Or melt the crap!!!

S

Sendaria

Look at the time of Toby's post. 4.24 am, on a sunday too. He has obviously just been thrown out of the tavern, and is looking for a fight.

In the post it does not say that the warrior had not asked for repairs. He might have politely asked, and then handed over a deceptively small pouch, containing 3 suits of plate all on top of each other.

In such a case I would do the requests, and then waddle over to him, shouting as soon as I could see him to attract his attention (or send another player to fetch him). When I have him in front of me I would politely explain what has happened, and ask him to be more considerate in future-either stay close, or check it is ok to talk whilst waiting. Remember, if you have been smithing it is possible a single plate suit can put you overweight, and that is not an unreasonable repair request.

The next time he will be better aware of the problems he might cause.

W

willfold

Excellent post. Having just read an earlier thread on this forum, however, I feel the need to correct a small point: not all exceptional items are the same. The rabble doesn't know this, but as a developing smith, you should learn the difference (see Yade's excellent post from the 30th, I think). And you should apply that knowledge according to your ethics. Personally, I will try to explain the difference to customers rather than simply pocket their gold.

Drew-Quo (Chessie)

Y

Yade

i have seen the lines on chesapeake. it really gives them comfort to know that "I'M NEXT!!!!!!!" i don't know why, but it has been happening alot there recently. good for you guys, add some organization to the random madness of the "forge pilot" job.

smedlyn gm smith / gm moner chesapeake shard

A

Andre the mage

it must look like RL shopping /forum_images/uo/icons/biggrin.gif

just what we want in a game /forum_images/uo/icons/disturbed.gif

Andre of Sittard, Europa
GM Runningman
GM clientcrashs in front of drakes

S

Sendaria

I want to buy a credit card machine. Buy your armour at 25% apr, and save me running to the bank. Or maybe a till.

F

Flagg (GL)

Here, is what I do. My smith is at 99 but have been playing him for about 7 months. On repairs I keep about 4 bags with me at all times. When I'm asked for repairs I hand them a bag for them to put there stuff in. I do this allot for my guild, but shoudl work well at the forge. I then take note to how many objects the pack has in it. Shadow gorgets can be a pain to find. Another thing i do is make sure my main pack stays empty ecept for the bags(Back pack style) and a ingots-tool bag, and a resmelt/sell bag these I use the round pouch type bags for. Being organized will save you more time than anything else in the game. Only use Four bags. This will giev you 3 people working to get there stuff together for you, while you are repairing another. Hand the stuff back to the customer from the bag, that way you can check the pack to make sure it is empty and you didn't accidently miss there gorget, to wich most of you know i'm sure
that we don't make mistakes but are allways trying to rip them off then they start yelling "you trying to steal my gorget" In front of your other customers. Saves Face . Now to me the most important thing for a smith is to take care of his/hers minors, they are invaluble, I make them armor for there warriors. My smith has 88 carpentry i furnished allot of houses for free. I also have a gm fisherman i give my minors fish steaks. You want them icq'ing you instead of at the bank selling there ingots and trust me they will have no trouble selling them. I have made books to all the good mining spots i knew of and gave them to new minors allong with a rune to my house and the forge that i smith at. That has paid off real well for me. Well that some of my thoughts.

S

Sendaria

I totally agree with all that was said about looking after miners, they are the lifeblood of any busy smith.

The 4 bag idea sounds OK, but I am far too lazy and forgetfull!

K

Kofu

A small addition to the EXCELLENT essays :)

If you like me ONLY work in felucca thieves/snoopers could be a nuisance.

I have a completely clear backpack except for 1 trapped thiefproofed box.

When a customer hands me repairs in a bag i transfer immediately to the box. I can't be bothered by thieves anymore :)

In addition i have the luxury to smith/repair in my store (Pot Shop) and offer protection to customers. Rude people, snoopers, thieves and especially killers will be warned once to behave and after that banned if they do not comply.

I always repair free of charge but a line about tips are welcome helps a lot ;)

If you notice someone using a crappy combination of armor/weapons ask him why he uses it and maybe offer some advice for free, he might be new.

Treat Miners with utmost respect and like Yves said buy at all time and all quantities (I do) I also make stuff for free and help out in any way i can to regular suppliers.

Just my 2 goldpieces.

<center><font color=red>King Kofu - Guildmaster Order of the Ebon Hand Europa</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Miss Steel - Guildmistress Britannia Order of Woodcrafters Europa
</font color=blue></center>

M

Mage Falstaff

Sorry that it has taken me a bit to respond. I would be happy to put my post on the various forums. I have noticed Yade has the same post on a few forums (and have seen others do it as well) so could someone please enlighten me as to how to accomplish this. Thanks

Brendan
GM Smith/Miner
Chesapeake

I

imported_TobyOne

Ctrl+C = Copy
Ctrl+V = Paste

M

Mage Falstaff

Knew about cut and paste. Was just hoping that there was an easier way to post to multiple forums. hehehe. Call me lazy.

Brendan
GM Smith/Miner
Chesapeake

S

Sendaria

lazy

I

imported_TobyOne

*chuckles*

S

Sendaria

We made it to 2 pages

*smile*

If everyone else starts calling him lazy the thread might get longer than "repairs clairified!"

I

imported_TobyOne

Oh crap, you want this to turn into a loonie thread??

S

Sendaria

Just noticed I am a seasoned veteran, and all my posts are "real ones"

D

docsbe

well is good to here that the smiths are polite on other shards.in drachenfels,about 2 months ago there was a shortage of gm smiths for some reason and most of them became very arogant.so what happened a couple of us warriors decided enough is enough and made smiths and miners .now,unlike before the shard is flooded with gm smiths and miners.hehe cutting deep in those veteran smiths pockets now

S

Sendaria

2 months ago, and since all shards got flooded with GM smiths, of varying quality

D

docsbe

hehe in the case of my shard i agree many of us are new half baked gm smiths.but at least our hearts are in the right place.we made the prices drop to more reasonable prices.we provided a less arrogant atmosphere and we made the veteran smiths realise they are human like us not gods.all in all its was a great victory.i once,during that period,look for a gm smith to repair my plate for 2 days before it finally broke on the 3rd day and then found a gm smith at the forge just for him to say he will not smith for anyone as he is taking a break(NEAR A FORGE!!)and if we want him to smith we should pay extra.

S

Sendaria

I know from personal experience, as I am sure many people do, that smithing can be hard work, and I sometimes feel the need to take a break from it (I go mining for a while). Perhaps this smith did come across as rude and arrogant, but maybe he was just fed up with having "repairs please" spammed at him for 4 hours non stop. I know there are times when I have been uneccesarrily abrupt with players, just because of "fatigue" from a long busy shift at the forge.

D

docsbe

well,i yes i agree one can get tired but hey if he was so tired he should know that its best to leave the forge and just go and do something else.click on him and it says gm smith so people will ask especially near the forge.he just stood near the forge cursing people and then of course smith for those ready to beg but hehe at a inflated prices i don't miss those days man.i will not like to see the market overcrowded with smiths but i believe that we are finally reaching the number of gms on my shard that will not make kids beg the smith just to get to pay outragoeus prices and if the older smiths need rest from the amount of orders people place on them then they got their wish many new gm smiths are out there now and from what i see lots of master smiths too on drachenfels.all i am trying to say that with politeness noone will want to make a smith unless they liked it and i don't think so many people in drachenfels have that motivationto go thru making a gm smith.i know i tried it when i started playing and stoppped.but they gave people the motivation with their attutude and from their prices you could see they all had castles on their minds.well,prices are down people get their armour when they need it .the people win

M

Mage Falstaff

I played my main character for months before branching out. I always tried to be respectful of others and treated the smiths good. When a friend of mine became a smith, he gave me some insight to the life of a smith. And when I became a smith, I gained even more. Now my fighter knows exactly how to work with a smith. If everyone played as a gm smith for one day, maybe they would change the way they interact with us. I know that this will never happen. But for those smiths I work with when I am playing my fighter, I do my best to make the interaction as good as possible.

Brendan
GM Smith/Miner
Chesapeake

H

Horse Whisperer

I would like to suggest that there are basically two different styles of being a smith. I have been both.

The first is what I might call the "commercial smith." I was this for a while after I GMed. I basically repaired for anyone and made armor on demand. I would stand there for hours. The money was good (but not great in retrospect now that I have warrior characters). Being a commercial smith really sucks, but you produce lots of armor and weapons for people. And you make a decent amount of money. I know there are people who think smiths make outrageous amounts of money, but not really when you think about the time that went into skills, mining, and smithing, plus people who give lots of stuff to repair but never tip you--it can become a pretty thankless job, with customers yelling at you and expecting you to produce any color armor instantly, while others are shoving repairs at you. We've all been there.

The second style of smith is what I would call the "merchant smith." The merchant smith, as opposed to the commercial smith, smiths mostly for fun. That means that we won't push himself to get out that extra order, or even to repair for everyone. He smiths for fun. So, yes, sometimes he will refuse to make stuff or even takes breaks to talk to old friends and customers by the forge. Why shouldn't he? Just because he as the title doesn't mean he has to serve anyone. Of course, I try not to be rude. I say, "I'm sorry but I'm not smithing right now." But that still pisses some people off. But I don't care because my goal is not to make as much money as possible. I have the luxury of doing what I feel like and only for people who really appreciate it. In fact, I am thinking of being a completely non-profit smith (charging only for ingots), but that means I only make stuff for people I like, and repair only for people who seem to have good manners or good customers from the past who know me and appreciate me. It's a blast. Much more fun than any other profession by far.

As for pricing, if I think a player is new I will give them free weapons and armor. Generally, I am much more generous with characters who seem new and don't beg. I get suspicious of characters who claim to be new and want free stuff--because that's not how I was when I was new. Usually, the real new players will offer to pay, but because they don't know prices, they'll try to bargain. So I let them bargain me down to whatever they want.

For others, I charge pretty low prices for iron. I don't make much profit at all. For example, swords at 150 gP. And archer suits at 1200 in iron. On the other hand, if they're demanding colors, I assume you are doing pretty well and ramp prices up pretty fast. I think that's fair. Because that way, I can help out the poor with low prices, while charging the rich on colors to make up for it.

Lately, I've been working on valorite. I charge an arm and a leg for valorite. But I don't feel bad about that. The profit I make goes to help the poor and the newbies with all that cheap or free iron armor I give away. Even if I make a mistake about who's really needy, the worst that happens is that I drive down prices on iron stuff. The other GM smiths will still out-sell me on colors if they want because of my high prices for those items.

Let me know if your experience has been like mine, or if you share this philosophy.

F

Falcon39

About smithing in the busy places...
Congestion of other smiths trying to gain can cause your skill gaining to delay or even stop for the day. MOST PACIFIC MINERS I MEET SELL INGOTS FOR 11gp-15gp EACH!!! Duppers ruining the economy!!!

Everything else seems cool in the guide

Falcon39

L

Legion

Very nice post :)

The only reasons im smithing is so that i can have the guilds name on weapons and armour and so i can help toby out so no need for me to attend the public forges.

Sir Legion Proud Member of Bulldog

Runesabre

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Glad to see the spirit of Smithing stills burns and there are those who look at the profession as a service with skills that go way beyond simply mastering smithing itself.

Brings back lots of fond memories of days gone by and in most ways smithing is today what it was in the past.

Runesaber
Retired Smythe of Britannia
Britain Hammer and Anvil
Ocllo Hammer and Steel Smithy
http://uo.stratics.com/strat/smith.shtml

T

TiMofTK

What are you talking about? I would never lie to my customers about my skill. I have been offering free repairs since i was at 56 Smithing. The good players know that an Apprentice Smith can repair just about anything. I have been offering free repairs till where i am now. And i have never once lied bout my skill. If i was at 70 i would say Expert if i was at 80 I said Adept. You should never lie bout your skill. No one needs the money that bad to lie. I'm Currently at 97.1 Smithing. And i Smith at the Hammer & Anvil in Britain in GL. Muh Name is TiM.

If you want meet me there.

-TiM

TiM of Trinsic Knights
-----------
Contact Octavian!

C

CPendragon

Ive a friend who was wondering if you all knew what would be the best items to make to gain skill. He is at about 62 skill, so I was wondering what he should do at which skill levels to gain GM as soon as possible

Charles Pendragon,
Mayor of Camelot
[email protected]

S

Sendaria

TimofTK, the reasons you stated were exactly why I lied about skill levels. It made very little difference to the players, and as for money-it was a way of being offered (free) repairs to do by players with more confidence. Many players are reluctant to hand their weaopons/armour to non-GM smiths, even though the difference can be marginal, so I lied to ease their fears a little.

Free repairs are the best way for a smith to establish themselves, and as such a traiing smith wants to do as many as possible to establish their business.

Charles Pendragon, did you actually read the essay? Go look at the first paragraph