• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Witcher ... anyone seen/have it?

B

Beer_Cayse

I just ran across this game. I was wondering if anyone has played it and how is the action, etc?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Hmm, haven't seen it. Let me know how it is.

B

Beer_Cayse

it appears to be an RPG of the early Ultima sense. I only found it because ArsTechnica had an article on the upcoming "Witcher 2" sequel.

I'm debating on getting it after reading a Wiki about the storyline. Like the intent of UO, apparently actions "now" in the game may have choices or consequences later.

It's released by Atari here but the developers are Polish, so I was hoping some of our Euro folks may have seen/played it.

K

Kiminality

My housemate has... I think it's the collector's edition. I haven't played it myself, though, although I do have an open offer to.
If memory serves, it was originally planned to be a Neverwinter Nights module, then they ended up licensing the Aurora engine, and making a commercial game out of it with significant engine tweaks (more than could be done with an NWN module).

There are adult themes, although not having played it myself, and only having second-hand accounts from many moons ago, there's not much I can say to it.
Although, I think there's a "Gotta Catch 'em All" element with the witches.

Although, now knowing that the game exists well within my grasp, while I sit here struggling to piece together memories of what others have said about it, I'm just going to go and get it, and try it.

K

Kiminality

So... I've given it about an hour, so far.
It feels a lot to me like Two Worlds, although somewhat more polished (although that could be in large part down to the Aurora Engine being more refined than Two Worlds').
My main three complaints about it would be:
1.) Being locked into playing a specific character, although at least "Geralt" has some personality.
2.) The combat is... The animation is clumsy, and for the actual mechanics, I don't think there's a combat system I've liked least.
3.) As far as I played (so it may change) the plot doesn't flow smoothly. It almost feels like you're playing through a series of storyboards, the transitions are awkward and a lot of it feels forced.

Granted, for all of that, it's largely subjective, and it may get better as the game progresses.
But personally, I'd say you're probably better off with something like Dragon Age, or even NWN with all the expansions, premium modules and player-made modules.

B

Beer_Cayse

<nods> I was wondering about the choppy storyline. What I read in the Wiki indicated it might be like that. Heck ...

I have NWN Platinum and several added mods, Icewind Dale and a couple addins as well ... lots of stuff I suppose. Who knows, I might just resurrect Leisure Suit Larry and try to find that 1 elusive point I've yet to find in #1. <shrug>

Yes folks ... I have Sierra Online games and still go back to them every so often. Kings Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest: SWAT, Quest for Glory and more. All the Zork stuff too.

Not playing UO anymore has given me lots of time to catch up and go back to my gaming roots. Now I just gotta see if the MUCK I started years ago is still going.

Thanks for giving it a try. I appreciate the time invested.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I've been playing a free2play game called Combat Arms recently. Big hacking problem, but huge player base. Good support and events, as well.

There are two types of gear/items: some that can be purchased for NX (cash), some that can be purchased for gp (earned by playing). The nice thing is that, although the gp gear is not as leet as the NX gear, you can still be competitive at very high levels with only gp gear. No gp grinding needed, either--just have to play the game and you'll always have enough.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The hell does Combat Arms have to do with The Witcher?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Maybe you missed the post were he listed half a dozen other titles he was considering returning to.

B

Beer_Cayse

And add to all that list the entire Ultima RPG stuff - Akalabeth to U9. <shrug>

In the 3 weeks since I closed out the last account I haven't even twitched UO-wise except to patch up. Been reading all sorts of books, playing some F2P stuff. Hell even tried EQ2e (F2P)! <shudder>

Aran - you did miss the boat ... then again it was a pretty subtle topic shift there. <ducks for cover>

B

Beer_Cayse

beats the shell outta me but it prolly has a peel for someone.

<cringes>

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
lmao @ Aran :lol:

*cringe with Beer_Cayse*