• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS The Winners!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Following the very enjoyable party on Test Center yesterday we are proud to announce the contest winners, with our heartiest congratulations to all of them.
Scavenger Hunt

1st Place - Kings Collection - Solus of Atlantic
2nd Place – Raised Garden Beds (3) – Bon Ivor of Atlantic
3rd Place – Undertakers Staff – Sam Vam of Drachenfels
Fool Hardy

1st Place – Unique Dye – Blackrock Hue – Tokuno Style - Holly Bloodhand, Ash the Necromanceer and Dead Shipmate
2nd Place – Forged Metal Tool – DescWing of Drachenfels
3rd Place – 15th Anniversary Robe – Eiodolon of Atlantic
Cultural Center Design Contest

The Entries
The winner:
Miss Echo of Oceania
will have her design built on the shard of her choice with her name as the designer
Story Contest

The Entries
1st Place – Mesanna’s Wig – Story #4 – Lady Ivy of Chesapeake
2nd Place – Mesanna’s Bustier – Story #11 – Soar of Atlantic
3rd Place – Mesanna’s Whip – Story # 8 – Alexander of Atlantic
Trivia Contest

A Castle In Malas Placed By Mesanna
Holly Bloodhand

Last edited:

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Congratulations to all the winners :) Hope you all enjoy the prizes you won.

Sapphirediablo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congratulations to everyone whom won. SUPER Jealous of Holly.

Would it be possible to get a transcript of the skits, and the stories submitted?

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mssed a awesome day out i guess....congrats to the winners....booooo to my weekend work schedule

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
My display of the Whip:

View attachment 17049
Nice display!

The wig is proving challenging to display well. It's in my shiny new castle on Chesapeake. Go out of the west Luna exit, north just a bit, then west and you'll run right into it. The castle is private right now though since I'm moving stuff around. Here's a different shot of it at its current location sitting atop a disguise kit:

QMSoar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now... we need to find the owner of the Bustier!! The adventure begins!! :)
That would be me. :p

Congrats Alex and Ivy!!

I have no idea how my mess managed to rank among you. I found out about the competition just over a day before the extended deadline and seriously rushed my submission. That is my excuse for the horrible spelling and wording mistakes, lol.

Anyways I cleaned it up a bit today so it was not so painful to read. I'll post it here with a screenshot of the bustier Mesanna left on my bedroom floor after her visit last night. (Nope, I don't expect to survive that comment, but it was worth it! :D)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Mesanna's Ascension by Soar of Atlantic
------------------------------------------------------------------

Mesanna raised her eyes from the invitation to Council Of Mages in Britain and looked again at its courier standing before her. The brim of his eccentric wizard's hat was tilted forward, and hid all but his wiry gray beard. His appearance drew no attention from the crowd watching the Luna livestock show. Silly hats appeared to be the order of the day and he was just another. A chuckle bubbled up and the man lifted his head.
"Rel!" Mesanna's voice was almost a squeal. "Rel Tak! It is you!" She flung her arms around her once mentor of the arcane arts.
"Yes girl," said Rel, breaking into a laughter. "It is me."
Mesanna released the old man after squeezing him as tightly as possible without breaking anything. She slapped his nose with the letter he had delivered. "You really had me going with this. As if they'd ever let either of us in that place."
"Oh?" said the old man. "Why's that then?"
"The drunken pirate mage, and the girl who can't even twist a gate spell?"
"I am not that mage anymore," said Rel, adjusting his beard, "and from what I hear, you are not that girl."
Mesanna's attention returned to the paper in her hand and her eyes widened. "You mean... this is real?"
Her old teacher nodded with a smile.
"But, who on the council would take me as an initiate?" said Mesanna, and in the next moment her fingers were wrapped around the collar of her mentor's robe. "You got into the Council Of Mages!"
The old man laughed again and placed his hands on her shoulders to calm her. "Yes," he said. "But it was not me who selected you, I am too old for mentoring. There is another. Someone who has been waiting to see you for a very long time."
"Who?"
"Come," said Rel Tak, walking off toward the moongate. "Oh, I do enjoy surprises."
As they left the crowded livestock show, Mesanna peppered the old man with questions. They made it all the way to Luna city gate before Mesanna smacked her forehead and ran back to the stage. She grabbed the collar of her prize goat, Peggle, in one hand and the trophy in the other. Then, affording only a hurried nod to the judges and audience, she bolted after the wizard.

Under Rel Tak's insistence they rode on horseback from the Britain moongate to the steps of Lord British's castle. They could have recalled in seconds, but the old man reveled in drawing out the suspense. However, he never once offered any hint of who they were to meet.
When they arrived there were two figures waiting for them in front of the grand stone arches. A man and a woman, both dressed in the robes of the council.
"Mesanna," said Rel as they came before them. "May I present you to Lord Kronos."
Mesanna bowed low in greeting but did not take her eyes from the man's face. His features and expression were stern and almost cruel as he gazed down at her. Lord Kronos tipped his brow in return.
"And this," said Rel, directing her to the woman beside Lord Kronos, "I'm thrilled to say is your-"
"Mother," said Mesanna, her mouth remaining open.
The woman came forward. She was smiling softly and Mesanna could see tears filling the corners of her beautifully aged eyes. She said nothing as she wrapped her arms around her daughter and rested her head against her neck. Mesanna was too shocked to move at first, too shocked to even speak. Then her arms came up. She crossed them over her mother's back and held on tight.
"Hmph," said Lord Kronos. "So that we are perfectly clear Lady Asheal, there will be no fast-tracking among initiates of the council." And with that he removed himself and entered the castle.
"Every night, I have dreamt of this moment," whispered Lady Asheal into Mesanna's ear.

In the coming days Mesanna learnt how her mother had spent the years after losing her only child. How her father had lied about handing her over to the Twin Oaks Tavern as a slave, saying instead that she had been taken by a wild beast in the forest, but finally letting the truth slip one night in the throws of a drunken stupor. Her mother had traveled to the tavern that very same night, only to find that Mesanna had fled the establishment a month earlier.
Lady Asheal would find no leads on her daughter's whereabouts for some time after that. Not until she joined the Council Of Mages in Britain and met Rel Tak, a scruffy conjurer from Buccaneer's Den, who loved to boast of the exploits of his students. The name "Mesanna" had quickly caught the Lady's attention.
And so it was that they were reunited, and Mesanna became an initiate to the Council Of Mages. She quickly found the words spoken by Lord Kronos at their first meeting had been redundant. Her mother was by far the hardest mentor in the entire conclave, and she pushed Mesanna for absolute excellent in all fields of study. She also received lessons on her heritage, and discovered that the women of her family had always been exceptionally skilled in the arcane arts. Throughout the conclave's historical records there was always at least one of her ancestors on the roster of names.
Despite the heavy load of her training, or perhaps because of it, the bond between the two women grew stronger with time. As her bloodline had gifted her, Mesanna was not weak, and would not stand to be seen as weak. When a challenge was beyond her limits, she would respond by casting aside those limits, and reforging new ones through sweat and pain. Finally, two years to the day from entering the conclave, Mesanna was ready for her trials of passage. A trio of tests that would decide if she would be accepted into the order as a full member. The night before her trials Mesanna and Rel Tak went to Lady Asheal's quarters to talk about the day to come.

"It's finalized," said Rel. "Lord Kronos will be one of the examiners tomorrow."
Mesanna groaned and let her forehead bump upon the tabletop.
"I expected as much," said her mother. "He would not pass up his last chance to prevent your acceptance."
"What does he have against me?" said Mesanna. "I've always done what he has requested."
"I'm afraid it is my fault," said her mother. "Our views on what a mage should be differ. Lord Kronos is always in search of ways to increase our destructive power, while I seek ways to increase our healing and preservation skills. It has made for some very colorful arguments at the council assemblies."
"And how is your research going?" said Rel, as he scoured the shelves and drawers for some form of entertainment.
"Very well, thank you. I've almost perfected a spell that should be able to remove disease and other ailments beyond our current abilities."
"Almost, eh?" said the Rel, and flashed a toothy grin through his beard.
"Yes," said Lady Asheal with an icy tone. "The incantation draws on the wielders life force, much like the spells used by paladins. Unfortunately, it draws a little too much."
"That doesn't sound healthy," said Rel as he shook a fortune ball he had found.
"No," said Lady Asheal. "Oh, for all the stars! The games are in the elven chest you old coot!"
"Ah ha!"
"What kind of test will Lord Kronos choose?" said Mesanna.
"Combat most likely," said Rel, poking around in the chest. "He favors balrons."
"I can handle those," said Mesanna.
"I would not count on it however," said Lady Asheal. "He will surely plan to catch you off guard."
Rel carried a rectangular box from the trove and slumped his weight into the chair between them. It was a board game, backgammon, and he opened it across the table.
"Right then!" he said "Who's up for a thrashing?"
Mesanna scowled and stood up. She left the room for the open air of the balcony.
The wizard turned to Lady Asheal, his brow creased. "What?"
"Wait here," she said, and went to join her daughter.

The night was cool, and from the balcony they had a perfect view of the moon floating low above the rooftops of Britain.
"It is just a game," said Lady Asheal, as she came to stand beside her daughter.
"For you," said Mesanna.
"You must not let your past sway you, Mesanna. It is as dead as grave dust, and cares nothing you now. Why should you care for it?"
Mesanna took a deep breath and turned her eyes to the people moving through the streets beyond the castle walls. "What became of him?"
"Your father?"
Mesanna nodded. "What became of him, after he lost me in just a game?"
"He is dead."
"How?"
Her mother looked away for a long while before answering. "He died by my hand," she said at last.
Mesanna said nothing, but inside she was screaming for more.
"He was not drunk," said her mother. "The night he told me what had become of you, he was not drunk."
"What happened?"
Lady Asheal wiped her eyes quickly and turned back to her daughter. "He was enraged, at what I do not recall, and as usual he came for me."
"Why did you let him beat you all those years? Why didn't you use your power?"
"I wasn't always a mage, you know," said her mother with a trembling smile. "There was a time I was afraid of magic. Your grandmother had shown me the things it could do, and it terrified me. But then she heard about what that man was doing, and she made me learn. On that night, when he came at me, I was ready."
Lady Asheal paused another moment before continuing. "He begged for mercy," she said. "He told me you were still alive and promised me the truth if I spared his life. But even after I had heard it, I did not stop. I could not stop."
Mesanna linked her arms around her mother's shoulders as the old woman clutched the balcony rail.
"Believe this," said Lady Asheal. "In this world, there are times when even malice is a virtue."

A crowd of both mages and citizens had gathered at the old Britain fairgrounds just outside the city. The annual initiate trials were open to all to watch, and it was a show guaranteed to please. There were nine hopefuls taking the challenge this year, of which Mesanna was the last to be tested. By the time she stepped to the center of the weathered oak stage, eight of her fellow apprentices were seated along its edges, battered by defeat.
Lord Higashi of Zento was the first of her examiners. He chose summoning. The task was simple, she must replicate the master's creatures with own.
At first he began simply. An earth elemental, then water, then fire. Next came a daemon, followed quickly by a vortex. Mesanna had no trouble, never fizzling or mis-speaking a word of power. Lord Higashi smiled. He flicked the sleeves of his robe back to his shoulders and let loose a stream of elemental incantations. Earth! Fire! Air! Daemon! Mesanna's mind and lips raced to keep up. Water! Fire! Vortex! Air! Llama!
Llama!?
The big wet eyes of the purple creature toppled Mesanna's focus, but she quickly caught on to her examiner's trick.
"Vas Corp Por!" she called out, and streamed the thaumatic energies into just the right channels.
A second and identical purple llama popped into existence before her. There was silence. Then gradually, the amazed crowd remembered to applaud as murmurs of approval were passed between the members of the council. Lord Higashi placed his palms together in front of him, and smiled as he bowed.

The next senior mage to test her would be her own mother, Lady Asheal.
"And what challenge have you arranged with your daughter today?" said Lord Kronos, seated among his loyal supporters, or "minions" as Mesanna liked to call them.
"A test of defense and healing," said Lady Asheal, not bothering to look back.
Lord Kronos and the men around him scoffed and snickered.
As her mother ascended to the stage, Mesanna began casting protection and buff spells upon herself. Lady Asheal waited at the top of the stairs until she was finished, and then shook her head. She moved aside and to allow Rel Tak to climb up beside her. He was trailing a rope that was linked to the collar of Mesanna's oldest friend, Peggle the goat. She motioned for the old wizard to lead the pet to Mesanna.
Rel hesitated and said, "I don't think it proper to-"
Lady Asheal raised her palm to quell his objection.
The wizard sighed. "Oh, bother it all," he said, and did as requested. Once Rel Tak had alighted the stage Mesanna was left facing her mother and teacher, a bewildered goat standing between them. This had to be a joke, she thought , or a ruse. She would not dare hurt Peggle.
"In Nox," chanted Lady Asheal.
She would.
The poison spell landed and Mesanna cured it the moment it took hold. She pre-cast greater heal, let it loose, and then another cure as the attacks came thick and fast from her mentor. Peggle was bleating and trying to flee, but the Lady Asheal used her attacks to confuse and kept the helpless goat running in circles. Mesanna slipped in a buff as a crisp energy bolt ripped across the stage, just one of these would kill a normal goat, however Peggle was hardened by years of adventure.
Heal, heal, heal! Her precious companion was screaming in pain, screaming for her help. Every cry was like blow to Mesanna's heart, and soon tears flooded her cheeks. Mercifully, her healing was keeping up with damage. Then the fire started. Flame strike after flame strike, with little casting time given between. Why was her mother doing this? The damage began to out pace Mesanna's skill. She felt terror well inside her, but her mother did not slow. Mesanna was chanting so fast her words seemed to overlap. Every healing spell landed with all the power she could infuse it with, and then... failure! Poison! She had missed the cure in her panic! Peggle lay still, barely able breathe. Lady Asheal began another flame strike, it would be the last.
"Corp Por!" screamed Mesanna. The energy bolt struck her mother in the shoulder and spun her body clear off the stage. The crowd gasped and fell silent.
After a moment a rasping chuckle drifted up from where Lady Asheal had fallen. Mesanna saw her mother's hand grasp the edge of the stage and Rel Tak rushed to help her to her feet.
"For a second there," said Lady Asheal as she patted the grass from her robes. "I thought you meant to let poor Peggle die."
Mesanna tried to stare down her mother with all the fury she could muster.
"It had to be real, Mesanna. We had to know how you would react," said Lady Asheal as she was helped to her seat. "And for future reference, I would much prefer a magic arrow. You have passed my test."
The crowd roared.

Mesanna insisted on a short respite so that she could properly tended to Peggle injuries with magical care. With the help of her fellow mages, the goat was soon back to normal, although still very shaken by the events. Then it was Lord Kronos's turn test the initiate's skill. He stepped up to the stage.
"You have proven you can heal, and you have proven you can summon," he said. "Both excellent support roles in any battle. However now it is time to see how you perform on the front lines, toe to toe with the enemy."
Combat. Rel Tak had been right. There was movement in the crowd as the city guards cleared a path from the road. An armored prison cart pulled by four horses rolled onto the fairground. Red glowing eyes flashed at the slits in the walls of the holding cell.
"What monster have you brought with you this time, Lord Kronos?" said Lady Asheal. "Another balron perhaps?"
"No, not at all," said Lord Kronos. "It is just an ogre. Surely any daughter of your bloodline can handle that?"
As the guards moved to open the containment, mages began lining the path and stage with summoned walls of stone.
"It is perfectly safe," said Lord Kronos to the mages securing the area. "The beast is quite tame. I have been using him in my research for some time now."
With reluctance the mages complied with their senior's command, and the crowd of spectators drew back several feet. The gate to the prison cart fell open. The creature it held trudged down the ramp.
It was indeed an Ogre, but unlike any Mesanna had encountered. It's skin was scarlet and radiated a dark shadowy mist. The eyes were demonic and glowed red, even under the bright sunlight. In its hand it wielded an massive spiked club that was clearly enchanted to the point of instability. Arcs of raw energy could be seen rolling across its surface.
"Blackrock!" cried a voice from among the mages. "That thing is infected with blackrock!"
As a rumble of concern voices built across the fairground, Lady Asheal stood from her chair. "Is this true, Lord Kronos?" she said. "Have you infected this creature with blackrock?"
"Yes, I have," said Kronos, without a single thread of concern in his voice. "Behold the fruit of my labored research. I, Lord Kronos, am now able harness the limitless power of blackrock!"
He approached the ogre as it stood completely inert, the grass around it's feet turning black like decaying blood. "I can use it," continued Lord Kronos, "not only to enhance the strength any creature I choose, but also to bring their mind under my absolute control. As you can plainly see, what was once a wild and perilous beast, is now a puppet to my every command."
"The blackrock is chaotic by nature!" said Rel Tak. "It cannot be controlled."
"How can you know that?" said Lord Kronos. "Have you spent countless days in study of it, as I have?"
"It is too dangerous."
"Dangerous to the ignorant mind perhaps, but not to us," said Kronos. He gestured a command to his pet and it walked up upon the stage to stand before Mesanna. "So tell me daughter of the Great Lady Asheal, do you accept your final challenge?"
Mesanna looked into the demonic face of the monster, then to her mother and Rel Tak. The silence over the fairground was broken only by the cries of Peggle, who still upset from the last trial, and now doubly so with the arrival of this unnatural creature.
"She does not," said Lady Asheal. "You have gone too far Lord Kronos, and this time your actions must be brought into question."
"Nonsense!" bellowed Lord Kronos. "Can you not see the power I have brought within our reach? Why do you fear it? Watch now, and I will demonstrate how well this creature is tamed."
Lord Kronos went to the stage and stood before his creation. With a movement of his hand the beast knelt before him. Then he raised his arms and his pet took up a battle ready stance. "You see," he said. Many of the mages of the conclave began to nod in approval. "Now, observe its incredible strength."
He moved aside and brought his arm down with a quick sweep. The creature swung its club high over its head. It slammed its weapon against the solid oak blocks of the stage and reduced them to splinters. Mesanna leapt to the ground as the ogre swung a second destructive blow. All the while Lord Kronos watched on smiling, his hand at the ready for another command. As the club came down a third time a bright light flashed from the impact and a boom like thunder sent the crowd reeling in fear. The weapon had shattered.
When the shockwave of raw magic had passed Mesanna looked up to find the ogre howling and clutching its hands to its head. The masses of people were stampeding in all directions. It appeared that whatever control Lord Kronos had over the creature was gone, and Mesanna caught a glimpse of him fleeing the fairgrounds. The mages that remained quickly gathered and readied their spells to destroy the abomination.
The first blast of deadly magic struck while the beast was still disorientated. It was knocked face down into the rumble of the stage, but soon began pushing itself upright with its heavy set arms. Mesanna watched the mages beyond prepare to combine their powers for second attack. The creature raised its head and a pair of red glowing eyes locked upon her. It roared and sprung forward.
Mesanna rushed to cast a wall of stone, but even as she began, she knew she would not finish. The creature's weight crashed into her and there was an explosion of heat and light. Mesanna felt her life slip away.

It was dark and cold, so very cold.
"Mesanna..."
Where was she?
Was this death?
"Mesanna..."
A pinpoint of white appeared before her. It cut through the darkness like moonlight through the sea.
"Come back child." It was her mother's voice. "You are spared."
"Where am I?" It was her own voice, but she had not spoken.
"You are safe. You are alive."
"I can't move, I can't feel my body."
"You will."
"What is this? What happened to me?"
There was silence.
"Mesanna..."
"Mother?"
"I am sorry for the life my weakness has caused you."
"No..."
"I am so sorry."
"Mother!"
There was a beat.
A heartbeat.

Mesanna awoke on a bed in a room of the castle. When she was well enough to move she found her hair had lightened to a mystical white that flickered with impossible color. Her skin was as dark as night and her flesh was cold, but she was neither dead nor undead. Her heart still beat and life still flowed through her body and mind.
She learnt from Rel Tak that Lord Kronos's abomination had infected her with blackrock during the attack at the fairground. However before it could take hold, her mother, Lady Asheal had intervened. Using an experimental healing spell developed in her years of research, she had stopped the infection, containing it within field of magic. Lady Asheal had saved her daughter's life, but the act of the casting such an unstable spell had extinguished her own.
The field that carried the blackrock infection remained inside Mesanna's body. In time she would discover she could use it to connect with the raw magical energies of her world. No longer requiring chanted words or material reagents, Mesanna's power was bound only by her imagination. She could work magic from its source, and had became the world's first and only True Sorceress.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
mesanna.jpg
This is locked down at the Surf Shack, just outside Trinsic south gate on Atlantic.

Soar/Compas

Last edited:

Alcor

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Congratulations to the winners of the story competition, and in particular to Lady Ivy for what I thought was a truly outstanding entry. It was a nice length, well structured and generally correctly punctuated, gave an excellent explanation for Mesanna's fantastic powers which beautifully incorporated the rather strange focus of the first story (i.e. a goat), and had a powerful closing line.

One piece of advice I would like to give to some of those who entered: NEVER have more than one person speaking in the same paragraph. This makes your stories muddled and difficult to read. ALWAYS start a new paragraph when there is a change of speaker.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Congratulations to the winners of the story competition, and in particular to Lady Ivy for what I thought was a truly outstanding entry. It was a nice length, well structured and generally correctly punctuated, gave an excellent explanation for Mesanna's fantastic powers which beautifully incorporated the rather strange focus of the first story (i.e. a goat), and had a powerful closing line.

One piece of advice I would like to give to some of those who entered: NEVER have more than one person speaking in the same paragraph. This makes your stories muddled and difficult to read. ALWAYS start a new paragraph when there is a change of speaker.
Thank you!! (I'm Lady Ivy, though I appeared at the party as Holly Bloodhand.)