• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Weapon

Min

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran

I finished reading the parchment I held in my hand, looking up over the rim of my glasses at the twitching, masked man standing before me. "Two more apprentices dead. One adept injured. It's war then."

Merek stood ominously still, the only sound he made was the creaking and stretching of his leather gloves as he clenched his hands into fists. I had stated the obvious, and he had nothing to say in response. Penrose is not given to waste a single word where none will suffice.

I sighed before I continued, "So be it. I had to burn one of the wretched blood worms earlier in the Lycaeum. They are growing bolder, and we're not entirely ready for this."

Merek only twitched, his hands clenching into fists and relaxing.

I waited, as the clock bell struck in the quiet of the late night. "I would have your counsel, old friend."

The voice behind the mask rasped, "I have... A solution." I nodded once, and he continued, "A project. I have been working on..."

I listened curiously, running my hand through my unruly mop of hair, "What sort of project?"

He was slow to respond, as if the twitching lips behind the dark mask actually smiled. "A weapon. One of fantastic... Power."

-----
Much Later...

I ran a hand along the enchanted field holding the vessel within. It flickered a deep red color at my touch, but did not give. I tried to hold back my surprise at what it contained. The magical theory and moral implications flooded my mind, "Merek. This...is an abomination. It's anathema."

The masked archmage shook his head once, hesitating a moment before responding, "*No*. It is Vadan'Myr. It is... Perfection."

I still couldn't believe what he planned, "It's empty, bereft of consciousness. The last mage I knew who could do such a thing was Jacuyl. But she is long gone, and there are few, if any left with that kind of skill in necromancy."

Penrose remained silent, only twitching and breathing through the mask as he looked upon his marvel of a creation.

I thought for a moment in the silence, "However. I know of one who was present when she last bound a soul into a mortal vessel. If I can procure this person's help, it would vastly speed up the process."

The eyes behind the mask locked on to me, nodding slightly. I had his interest. "This is a dark weapon friend. Created through death and violence."

Cold, icy cruelty dripped from every word in Merek's response. "Your moral objections. Are noted. I have already completed those preparations."

There was no stopping this, it was already set in motion. So it was far better to profit from it. "I have one condition then."

So I told him, and he accepted.

Last edited:

Jacuyl

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
In the darkness her near-skeletal shoulders jerked.

My name has been spoken..

Distantly, dripping water echoed on wet limestone.

I've only been gone five minutes and they can't let me rest..

Merek Penrose

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
The Vadan'Myr

Was it possible? Penrose had only thought it a theory, nothing more. An experiment he had been working on in seclusion. Yet... now, with the help of the council his schematics, his research would be put to the test.
The council called it a weapon, but to Penrose... It would be much more than that.

Two things would be required to complete the creation of this...
"Weapon."
The blood of an immortal, found from a vampiric entity.
and
The soul of a mortal, given willingly from a human.

Erik Muise, a paladin with a great debt, a debt not owed in gold.
Erik's family suffered because of it, Penrose but seen opportunity.
With that, a willing soul had been procured,
The Muise family given a second chance,
less a beloved Father... Husband... Grandfather.

The reagents sat before the being bound by stone.
Words echoed the silent night, as a final item was added.
The blood of the creator, binding the creation to him.

"Perfection" Penrose declared, as his lips twitched into a crooked smile.
"You are The First."
"You are..."
"Vadan'Myr"

Merek Penrose

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
An Apprentice Reborn

Penrose's Apprentice had been injured...
Sadly, it would be fatal... The battle that took place on the outskirts of Moonglow
Had taken it's toll on the young Inquisitor.
Penrose having had wasted month's training Skylar to almost "Perfection."
He would not see her life ended so easily.

Gathered on the roof, Veraxis the first of his kind and Penrose gathered.
Concentrating what energies they had, they would see to it Skylar's abilities
would not come to pass. Penrose still required her service. With that, the two
began the ritual...
The rebirth...

The reagents sat before Skylar, her wounds bound and halted by stone.
Words echoed from Penrose, as a final item was added.
The blood of the creator, binding Skylar to him and Veraxis.

Reborn...
Human no longer...
Only Vadan'Myr​