• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Untouchable Jam (and other money objects)

G

We're all familiar with this. We walk into a money lot with single job objects and what do we see? Tables sporting 2 or 3 jams as far as the eye can see. Easels with wet paint up to the horizon.

A few minutes searching and changing the view of the property just might net you an empty spot if you're eagle-eyed and lucky. Because you know if you touch an orphaned jam, you might as well go the whole hog and commit murder as far as everyone else in the house is concerned.

99 times out of 100, these objects are never claimed. Eventually a roomie might clean up some of them, but new ones breed faster, and in the meantime they are an unusable nuisance.

I have a vision.....(not that it will ever happen, I have neither the time or the money)..... a money lot where if you Leave It You Lose It. Finders keepers. If you wander off to another lot/go play pizza/leave it too late to green/crash to deskop/whatever - it's first come first served on the orphan. It may seem hard on the habitual E23er, but remember they also have the opportunity to grab leftovers just like everyone else.

The result: a nice clear working environment; keeps people awake looking for opportunities to jump in; no yelling and bad feelings when a newbie who doesn't know the "rules" either accidentally or deliberately runs in and takes something.

Anybody brave enough to do it? Or is the idea just beyond the pale - and why?

N

NightFlyer

I think thats the best idea I have seen in a long time.

G

We have many many orphaned jams/paints/whatever on our property. It seems us roomies are never done clearing, so our guests can get a clean, fresh start to their work. I'm ready to embrace your idea, and bring it up for discussion at our house. (aka talk to the 'boss' and have him bring it further to the rest)

G

<blockquote><hr>

We're all familiar with this. We walk into a money lot with single job objects and what do we see? Tables sporting 2 or 3 jams as far as the eye can see. Easels with wet paint up to the horizon.

A few minutes searching and changing the view of the property just might net you an empty spot if you're eagle-eyed and lucky. Because you know if you touch an orphaned jam, you might as well go the whole hog and commit murder as far as everyone else in the house is concerned.

99 times out of 100, these objects are never claimed. Eventually a roomie might clean up some of them, but new ones breed faster, and in the meantime they are an unusable nuisance.

I have a vision.....(not that it will ever happen, I have neither the time or the money)..... a money lot where if you Leave It You Lose It. Finders keepers. If you wander off to another lot/go play pizza/leave it too late to green/crash to deskop/whatever - it's first come first served on the orphan. It may seem hard on the habitual E23er, but remember they also have the opportunity to grab leftovers just like everyone else.

The result: a nice clear working environment; keeps people awake looking for opportunities to jump in; no yelling and bad feelings when a newbie who doesn't know the "rules" either accidentally or deliberately runs in and takes something.

[/ QUOTE ]
It has always been my policy to do just that.

G

When I had a money house in BF before the merge, that is exactly how we did it. We warned all that we weren't responsible for their jams. If they walked away and someone else sold their jams, that was their problem. We did not boot nor ban those that landed and went to a table that had jams already on it.

G

I'd like this idea to become the norm at a money house...it can get annoying searching for a clean table when so many are abandoned after being started

D

DGLita

Back in the 'Good Ol days', if a sim went afk in front of a finished object, another sim could come up and do something like slap them or hug them and the afk sim would step away allowing the other sim to steal their object.

As a result of this, owners quite rightly meted out severe punishments such as kicking and banning object stealers, but this got slightly out of hand when half finished objects were left unattended and people who finished them were also accused of stealing, which is ridiculous.

There is a clear division line between stealing someones object money, and just finishing a half completed item.

I hate to land at a money house and see so many half finished objects lying around, it looks untidy and it makes you wonder who is likely to get mad at you if you finished a part used object.

If there is nothing blocking the item, just go for it and finish them up

G

So given that there seems to be a general concensus that Finders Keepers is a good idea, why is it that this kind of policy is the exception rather than the rule?

G

<blockquote><hr>

So given that there seems to be a general concensus that Finders Keepers is a good idea, why is it that this kind of policy is the exception rather than the rule?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is partly because of what DGLita said and the later habit of counting for payouts.

When folks were keeping count of each object to get 2 to 300 extra for each one done, they became more defensive of each item.

Also when the Paint Poker was popular, a bunch of half finished paintings that someone had to leave in order to go green, was the norm, not the exception.

And boys and girls, that is how knee-jerk reactions are born.

I

imported_ChipsAhoy

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I have nothing to add. I just wanted to clap and give this idea two enthusiastic thumbs up.

J

jammybob

no doubt about it. Only one caveat and that is that money house owners should ensure there are plenty of tables to use in the first place.
I think in some houses, people deliberately leave unfinished work to go green to try and ensure they can still get on a table after greening.
If there are enough tables to go round though and this rule was stated in the bio, i would view it as a great idea

G

It's not that much of a problem for me (but it might be for the house owners).
If there is a cleared table I will take that, otherwise I'll make sure nobody has the table I'm gonna finish.
Peeps who automatically go for the table with the "biggest" jam on, seem greedy to me.

The house owner/roomie can also announce "Cleanup time". Then all the guests go around cleaning the tables during that time. Max has done that a couple times before maintenance and that was good too.

J

jasminemoon

<blockquote><hr>

..&lt;snip&gt;...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is a fairly good idea, except for the crashing to the desktop..(error 23)..it would seem like you are punishing your guests over something they have no control over
...other than that I think it's a great idea.

Maybe if they "dissolve" from the lot you give them a certain amount of time (about 4 rl mins) to return..if they don't then all's fair in love and war. (I'm on dial up so sometimes it takes me that long, sometimes longer, to get back *waah*)

Who's to say it couldn't happen, you could post a sign saying that this your lot works in this fashion..maybe something like..u move it, u lose it! (but a little more entailed until it catches on, of course).

G

This has long been the policy in my money houses too. I dont have the time or inclination to watch peoples work if they cant finish. In other houses if I red out before I can finish I just go and sit down for a minute to get a green bar back and then go back and finish before I continue greening.

S

Sativa L

The behaviour of sims over "stollen jams" and other "bans" has been somewhat of an amusement for me over the past 5 years. (Yeah, I am easily amused)

The first day of TSO I go kicked and banned from a lot for unknowingly clicking "sell" on a chalkboard. I had nooo idea what I was doing, but I sure learned early on in the game what a touchy subject this is! Not only was I kicked/banned, I was also ignored, all without an explaination. ... Back then someone that was 0 days old and not a founder, most likey was a REAL noob. To kick/ban/ignore without warning/explaination is rude and uncalled for.

Saying that, or maybe as a result of that, I have never expected unfinished/finished but left money objects to go untouched. In fact often I leave finished objects intentionally.

If I ever got the crazy notion to run a money house, the rule, without question would be.. "leave it.. its gone." If you can't finish it, don't start it. And if you get disconnected.. awww.. sue MOMI.

M

mysticlisa516

I don't understand why some people just don't use their common sence. When your sim is down to 1 green bar, it's time to green. Don't start another jam, painting, or whatever.

I get sick of hearing guest yell out "Please block my table." or "Hey, you stole my jam."

Just green at the end of a painting or jam and leave the table clean. I never leave a table 1/2 full unless I get an error, then I can understand a used table.

G

I agree wholeheartedly. This will become policy in my money house.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I don't understand why some people just don't use their common sence. When your sim is down to 1 green bar, it's time to green. Don't start another jam, painting, or whatever.

I get sick of hearing guest yell out "Please block my table." or "Hey, you stole my jam."

Just green at the end of a painting or jam and leave the table clean. I never leave a table 1/2 full unless I get an error, then I can understand a used table.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good rule of thumb - never start an object unless you have at least 2 green bars.

J

jasminemoon

Talk about odd!

I had just posted to this today...and the second money lot I went on. I saw an empty jam table, with merely a crate and no jams. So, I thought it wasn't being used.

You guys remember when a money lot would set out empty crates for you as a form of hospitality? Well, I certainly do.

Well not 2 minutes later a guy said, "Hey Jasmine, you took my jam table! Next time ask first"

So, I'm like flabbergasted because

1) Empty crates on jam lots long ago was a polite way of showing your "gratitude" to those that came to your lot.

and

2) The crate was completely empty, not even one jam jar!!

Of course, this started a bit of conversation towards this guy by others on my part..that an empty crate is not something one has to ask permission to use.

I also pointed out that this "a crate saves your spot" was new to me, b/c I remember hosts would deliberately put out empty crates for "customers". Oddly enough, there were other empty tables, that one just happened to be the one closest to me!

And, I also noticed that the entire time I was there there were half done jams on at least 3 tables in my zoom view...they stayed that way the whole time.

SOOO, now I suppose I enforce this idea even more. I didn't realize how rampant it was until I saw it for myself!

*hands cookie to Cressy*
Yep, your idea is great. I would, still hate to lose my half done table b/c of a error 23...but shrug..it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Hugs to all,
Jasmine

G

Haha... I was at that house... talk about a riot over a silly little empty crate!

Even though the person who "claimed" he had jams on the table DID have 20.99 in cooking... still... it takes like 4 min and some change to complete an item.
Wasn't even worth him saying anything about it... especially since it's hard to find a table in that place that hasn't already been partially started.

The way some people conduct themselves in this game, really makes me think "wow... these people are running around in RL acting this way..." :shakes head:

G

The way some people conduct themselves in this game, really makes me think "wow... these people are running around in RL acting this way..." :shakes head:

Fortunately, most people who act that way in an online arena, are to cowardly to act that way in real life.