• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The ultimate question

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If someone asked you why you enjoy playing UO, what would your answer be? What do you do for fun?

Merth

Journeyman
All of the different content that is available, i can do something different everyday if I want.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Personally, I enjoy being as evil as possible within the rules of the game. I will take your things if you leave them on the ground. I will steal your prized possession and throw it in a trash barrel. I will kill you if you are AFK in fel or lure spawn onto you if you are AFK in tram. I want to see you react. I like to leave as big of an impression on people that I meet in game as possible and the fastest way to do that is by being a villain.

All of the different content that is available, i can do something different everyday if I want.
I was expecting "buying trees and stuff."

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ressed by a wandering healer, getting resskilled and spend the next 50 minutes ranting.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I personally love buying an item, realizing I don't need it then selling it for a loss. Also I used to love doom, wish they'd buff the loot a bit.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Tell me about your youth?
Were your parents instrumental?
Lol... My youth was fine, IRL i work for a public school. But the game needs evil or else it's just a bunch of people decorating houses and fighting mobs with the worst AI ever. Over the years the devs have taken away most of the opportunities for someone to play an evil character. I still cling on to the ones that remain. I don't feel that there is anything wrong with that and it doesn't make me a bad person to portray an evil video game character. I do everything I can to promote the idea that having fun in this game doesn't revolve around getting stuff and that the personal connections, positive or negative, are what truly matter. In a way, I may be the least evil player to be playing the game currently.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Playing evil can be fun but don’t expect anyone to appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merth

Journeyman
Playing evil can be fun but don’t expect anyone to appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have no problem with evil chars or reds/pks its part of the game. The reskillers/trash talkers are ridiculous tho. And im not talking the consensual pvpers thats the bragging bravado that comes with it. I have the utmost respect for the killers that never say a word to you and go about their business or better yet afterwards tell you what you could have done better next time.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Finding niche ways to help other people enjoy the game is what makes me enjoy it these days, since I've already maxed out the enjoyment level of most non-people related things over the last 21 years. Decorating my 50th house or killing my one millionth monster isn't fun anymore. However, helping someone else decorate their first house or kill their first strong monster and watching how much joy it brought them makes me happy to see them happy. My current niche areas are doing free shard transfers, rares/merchant community stuff like price checks, rares festivals, and giving away/monitoring free vendors at my Luna house. Plus running a guild that tries to help new and returning players, but it's not very active anymore. I guess moderating this forum counts too, not so much the banning people part, more the maintaining informative stickies so they stay relevant for future readers and helping people with account related issues they need solved such as name changes, banners, or technical support.

Personally, I enjoy being as evil as possible within the rules of the game. I will take your things if you leave them on the ground. I will steal your prized possession and throw it in a trash barrel. I will kill you if you are AFK in fel or lure spawn onto you if you are AFK in tram. I want to see you react. I like to leave as big of an impression on people that I meet in game as possible and the fastest way to do that is by being a villain.
I think most of what you do benefits the game overall by keeping an oldschool play style alive and letting people experience a historically important part of UO that's rare these days (other players being a legitimate threat which keeps the risk vs. reward stuff going)....however I have an issue with the "throwing your prized possession in the trash" part. Everything else is just part of the game, but that one goes outside the realm of UO.

You steal their prized possession, that's fine and fair, but that's where the game part ends. What you choose to do with it afterwards isn't really the game, it's up to the individual.

Good/nice person: give the item back for free because you've already had your thief fun taking it, which teaches them a lesson about what not to do again without making them suffer for it.
Neutral/fair person: sell or ransom the item back to them, because thief is your profession and you fairly earned it, so should give them a fair chance to compensate you for your work and get their item back.
Griefer/troll: rub it in their face a lot to make them mad, or destroy the item just to watch them suffer which doesn't benefit them or you in any way, just hurts them because their favorite item is gone.

The first two are playstyles within the game because you get game based rewards from doing it (gold, or their gratitude which could be useful later). The third one is no longer game related, because your in game character gains nothing, but you in real life are enjoying the real life suffering of another person just for the sake of watching them suffer.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Captn Norrington

I understand your position but I don't believe I have ever griefed or trolled anyone in all of my time playing. I destroy the items because I don't need them and neither do they. If they feel grief over the situation, they need to prioritize what is important to them. I don't rub it in their face or destroy it in front of them. For all the victim knows, I kept it.

I often offer to sell the item back if they ask but I have usually fled the scene of the crime by then. Giving the item back for free is never an option.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If someone asked why I play UO I would tell them that it's a great escape from the real world and helps me reset my head!

In game I like to set goals of gaining skills or gathering resources and I like to do this on every server.

My goal right now is to get a billion gold without selling any of my junk. With that goal I'll have to start fighting stuff and start going to dungeons. I have only been to 2 dungeons and one with earth elementals and the other one had harpies.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I enjoy herding 35 greater dragons/dragons in Destard then calling out in Gen Chat “Ricky’s Up !’. Watching half a dozen PKs run in to almost instant death makes me LOL IRL. Tracking the few that stealth in while they try to reveal me & detecting hidden on them makes me LOL more. Lastly, using SS to follow them and res kill sometimes has me wiping tears of laughter from my eyes.

Rinse & repeat in Tera Keep (after working it up to lvl 3 or 4) and 50 imps from the fire spawn herded to the Serps Hold/Fire Dungeon entrance can keep me LOLing for hours. It takes alil time to set it up right but the rewards are priceless.

I also like much of the PvM ie. Blackthorns, Medusa, & some other bosses. Then there’s the daily’s like the colored tile floor puzzle in Underworld & the lucky coin toss in the fountain. Fishing, MIBs, and crafting is fun & can be relaxing. There’s really so much to do I guess it’s 21 yrs of varied content that keeps me playing & enjoying UO.

Tera Keep10.jpg Harrower2.jpg FireDungeon.jpg

Last edited:

Merth

Journeyman
I enjoy herding 35 greater dragons/dragons in Destard then calling out in Gen Chat “Ricky’s Up !’. Watching half a dozen PKs run in to almost instant death makes me LOL IRL. Tracking the few that stealth in while they try to reveal me & detecting hidden on them makes me LOL more. Lastly, using SS to follow them and res kill sometimes has me wiping tears of laughter from my eyes.

Rinse & repeat in Tera Keep (after working it up to lvl 3 or 4) and 50 imps from the fire spawn herded to the Serps Hold/Fire Dungeon entrance can keep me LOLing for hours. It takes alil time to set it up right but the rewards are priceless.

I also like much of the PvM ie. Blackthorns, Medusa, & some other bosses. Then there’s the daily’s like the colored tile floor puzzle in Underworld & the lucky coin toss in the fountain. Fishing, MIBs, and crafting is fun & can be relaxing. There’s really so much to do I guess it’s 21 yrs of varied content that keeps me playing & enjoying UO.

View attachment 92836 View attachment 92837 View attachment 92838
I just have to say that you are amazing and my new hero!!! Love it!!

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Helping others, hands down and also being part of a team hunt.
Other night was at the Twisted Wield and taming spawning dogs with my poor tamer and his crappy suit and gear. After 40-50 dogs out to the cave, another player comes and starts taming spawning also. He was trying to paralyze tame, reeaaly slow and getting thrashed by the dogs. He probably put 2 dogs to the cave. Then we both go to the deep part where the changelings spawn : Boom a pure black! he happened to be there since, and started to try to tame the beast, again getting beat up with his method. Then dog was at safer area. He tells me "I want this dog", I say no problem, I will help you. So after 30 minutes of heals on the player, he says "I can't do it, my hands are trembling too much". So I asked him let me tame it for him and then xfer it to him, says ok. Took 30 seconds and dog tamed. Then I xferred it to him. He was happy, greatful. So then I continued to tame-spawn the dogs. After an hour when I was done, there was no more room in the cave, full of dogs, and I was tired. One of the pieces on my equipment had dur of 0 by now so I repaired it. I also did not complain to him that I did most of the work, and my gear was severely damaged in the process.
No hard feelings and I did not mind that he had a hawkwind cloak and other nice stuff on him, compared to my junk lol. But I was left with a feeling of accomplishment, having helped that poor rich fellow with the trembling hands..even though I am just a bum there, in Atl. I feel good that both I am a bum there, and also help others when the need arises.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Killing other players and coming to stratics to hear them whine about how scrolls should be in trammel!! :D
I don't know why I love this song..Maybe the other side of myself "Mr Hyde" is talking to me: Or maybe its the music part or the lyrics. I don'd know..Im confused. But I won't go to the dark side..:)
--
No one knows what it's like
To be the bad man
To be the sad man
Behind blue eyes
To be hated
To be fated
To telling only lies
But my dreams
They aren't as empty
As my conscience seems to be
I have hours, only lonely
My love is vengeance
That's never free
To feel these feelings
Like I do
And I blame you
No one bites back as hard
On their anger
None of my pain and woe
Can show through
But my dreams
They aren't as empty
My love is vengeance
That's never free
When my fist clenches, crack it open
Before I use it and lose my cool
When I…
----

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't know why I love this song..Maybe the other side of myself "Mr Hyde" is talking to me: Or maybe its the music part or the lyrics. I don'd know..Im confused. But I won't go to the dark side..:)
--
To be the bad man
To be the sad man
Behind blue eyes
To be hated
To be fated
To telling only lies
But my dreams
They aren't as empty
My love is vengeance
That's never free
To feel these feelings
Like I do
And I blame you
No one bites back as hard
On their anger
None of my pain and woe
Can show through
But my dreams
They aren't as empty
My love is vengeance
That's never free
When my fist clenches, crack it open
Before I use it and lose my cool
When I…
----

Now it's stuck in my head damn you:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If someone asked you why you enjoy playing UO, what would your answer be? What do you do for fun?
Idk, I always appreciated the relaxed pace in UO. Some bosses you can do while standing on a single tile only hitting like 4 buttons with one hand. Especially when you run in a group. Can't do that often in more modern games.

Ikeelu

Visitor
I play because of the feels. They ususlly wear off after 60 days or so and then I dont play for several years.

To the PKs, can we just fight? Can we call it a game of chicken? If you run first can you just go away? Didn’t think so. Anybody can gank PvMers in Fel at spawns. I takes the real elite to do it and run like a girl but then keep coming back. Oh and remember if at first you don't succeed bring your terrible friends who will die and embarass you in front of a lone sampire.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I play because it's the only game that I've found that has a play style for every one of my moods or interests. Since I'm not locked into anything by design, I can relax and fish away the stress, set goals of varying length (short, medium, long and career) that I can show progress in and get various feelings of accomplishment from, hang out with some good friends with similar goals, collect anything that strikes my fancy, or test my templates solo against stuff that is very hard to solo. I'm also a character building junky and I love trying different combinations of skills (same with pets!).

The only thing I can't (won't) do is the "RP" evil thing as like it or not, there are lots of players who get attached to their characters, pets and pixels or have limited time to play and I just can't accept hurting another person on purpose. For some people, once they invest so much of their lives to something, it is not just a game to them. One can argue it shouldn't be that way, but it is and everyone knows it. I just can't look past that.