• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The subject of buffets

G

There seems to be a rash of houses using buffets in TC3 either in between cooking HC or in place of HC, which I thought was disheartening at first, but now am getting used to. What I find interesting, is that the white buffets seem to take 3 plates to fill up, while the blue-green buffet fills my sim in 2 plates. I thought the hunger rating must be different on them since they are different prices, but when I had one of my sims create a store lot I checked it out, and both tables have a hunger rating of 2. I wonder why one seems to fill up better than the other, and why there is a price differential then?

I

imported_CrazyGirl

I eat salad and then dessert. Two plates fill me up every time.

D

Dogsoffour

About the price differential, I think this would be only because one is more "popular", so it costs more in the catalog.

Are you sure it gave more hunger? Maybe one was on a service or store lot, which would have easier motives than skill/money. If all things were equal, then I'm suprised no one has found this before!

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I got into eating nothing but salads on buffets when I learned 'power greening' for pizza. Salads if you will notice drag energy and bladder down less, so if you have to touch up hunger but the others are already greened, the salad will have less of an impact on it so that you have to 'touch up' energy and bladder also. This was before the days of hiding so that sims had to continuously 'top off' whilst waiting on a 4th team member lagging behind.

Another factoid I've noticed is that the 'afk' interaction under idle works the same as hiding, or slows motive decay WAY down, so that those who don't want to be guilty of exploiting the hide n seek don't have to. I don't remember if I knew that before I came back from this last hiatus or not, but figured it out while on the restaurant track.....people kept floating in afk mode between shifts, so I asked about it and that's what i was told.

G

I'm actually kind of glad to see more buffets in use! I've always been a salad girl, but with all the emphasis on home-cooked meals everywhere I went, it was so hard to find a good salad anymore. Oh, don't get me wrong - many of the home-cooked meals I've eaten were exquisite; but it seemed nobody could make a salad worth a damn! Since I'm not usually one who lets myself reach the point of dropping dead from starvation before I eat, I find the salad bar to be perfectly satisfying!

G

<blockquote><hr>

About the price differential, I think this would be only because one is more "popular", so it costs more in the catalog.

Are you sure it gave more hunger? Maybe one was on a service or store lot, which would have easier motives than skill/money. If all things were equal, then I'm suprised no one has found this before!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...I haven't been on a services or store lot at all, but it seems to work on skills lots and that is hard motives. I'll have to see if I can find a house that has 1 white buffet and one blue-green to really make it 'official' but it sure seems that way to me. Like I said I'd always assumed that one had a higher hunger rating, or that the cooking skill of the person who set it factored into it like it was going to at one point of beta in the original game I remembered, but the sim that just set the one I ate had only two cooking points, so that can't be the case. I'll keep doing testing on it and see

G

<blockquote><hr>

I'm actually kind of glad to see more buffets in use! I've always been a salad girl, but with all the emphasis on home-cooked meals everywhere I went, it was so hard to find a good salad anymore. Oh, don't get me wrong - many of the home-cooked meals I've eaten were exquisite; but it seemed nobody could make a salad worth a damn! Since I'm not usually one who lets myself reach the point of dropping dead from starvation before I eat, I find the salad bar to be perfectly satisfying!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was upset about it initially because of the 3 plate greening factor, but noticing that sometimes it only took 2 plates, and the number of sims that just refuse to max cooking therefore HC taking 2 plates too, is what made me not as upset about it, and I've even stopped calling them 'barfets'. Now if I could only figure out why sometimes it's still taking 3 plates I'd be in business. More testing to come when my 3rd sim on now during the spike has to green.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

While you are testing......

That salads from buffet tables wear off faster than eating cake. Seems to me that cake sticks to your ribs longer. It does take longer to eat the cake so timing when to eat the salad would be crucial. I've never had to eat 3 plates of food to green up. How very odd indeed.

G

Update:

OK, I'm at a house with 3 blue-gren buffets. As usual I ate salads, but it did take 3 salads to fill up, with hunger only about 1/6th of the way full, but that's totally filling it......after 2 plates it was filled back up to about 5/6th so maybe that would be sufficient for most people, I just got in a habit of being green as grass LOL. I don't know if maybe my hunger wasn't down as much when I could eat 2 plates and fill up or not, or if I have it backwards and it was a white buffet that I did fill up 2 plates on. I'll have to move my sims after this spike is over with to a place that I know has a white buffet table and test it out. If it does turn out that it takes 3 plates to fill up, then I guess barfet is still barfet after all

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to try that when the next sim in line (running three at the moment) goes to green. Will report back

ETA: I tried this just now on the next sim to green, same amount of hunger down, and hunger was still not totally full after a salad and dessert.

Next time I am going to try 2 entrees and see if it fills me up even though it will have more of a drain on energy and bladder. I always green bladder and energy after I green hunger anyhow

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the exact same thing. If for some reason I do run lower than usual i throw in a dessert and that tops it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
If memory serves, the hunger rating on a buffet is modified by the cooking skill of the sim who sets it (or owns it, I forget which).

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
If memory serves, the hunger rating on a buffet is modified by the cooking skill of the sim who sets it (or owns it, I forget which).

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I am thinking so too. I'm working hard on getting at least one sim to 20.99 in cooking and I already have a buffet for my (private) lot, so when I get her to 20.99 I'll have her set one, and then when it's done have one of my roomie sims in that house that have no cooking set one and see if it does make a difference. I thought I remembered many moons ago reading that it was *supposed* to factor into it (the setter's cooking skill) but I thought somehow we figured out that it didn't, hence 'barfet' was born cuz nobody likes to eat 3 plates to fill up. I don't even think HC of a zero cooking skill sim requires a person to eat 3 plates of it to fill up

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I am thinking so too. I'm working hard on getting at least one sim to 20.99 in cooking and I already have a buffet for my (private) lot, so when I get her to 20.99 I'll have her set one, and then when it's done have one of my roomie sims in that house that have no cooking set one and see if it does make a difference. I thought I remembered many moons ago reading that it was *supposed* to factor into it (the setter's cooking skill) but I thought somehow we figured out that it didn't, hence 'barfet' was born cuz nobody likes to eat 3 plates to fill up. I don't even think HC of a zero cooking skill sim requires a person to eat 3 plates of it to fill up

[/ QUOTE ]

Bumping because the theory is proven.....cooking skill of the sim who owns the buffet DOES influence the effect of the plates eaten. My sim is at this minute on a lot with 3 white buffets, all owned by the same sim. She just went from very red in hunger to full in 2 plates of buffet.....sooooo I checked it out and that sim has 20.99 in cooking. Theory proven. That is why I'm getting full in 2 plates sometime and 3 plates other times. That's how it was supposed to work in the old game back in beta, but it never did work that way, which is why buffets were redubbed barfets. I'm glad they've fixed that bug with EA Land and TC3. Now I just have to watch and see if another sim besides the one who owns it (there are 3 roomies on the lot atm) *sets* the buffet if it will make a difference, but that will be hard to test because all 3 of the roomies on this lot have high cooking, though not as high as the owner of the buffet (one is at 15, the other is at 20.99 as well). Nice to have at least part of the mystery solved though

S

Sativa L

I always thought it was the skill level of the sim that prepared the buffet that affected the food quality, as it is with HC and the barbeque.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I've always wonderd this but never tested it out...Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Update: OK just tested out a different white buffet, where the owner of the buffet had 12 cooking skill, and the preparer of that particular buffet had 20.74. In that instance 2 plates did NOT fill the hunger meter completely up, so it does indeed seem to be the owner's cooking skill that makes a difference NOT the preparer....I'm going to keep monitoring it to test that hypothesis, but it seems that since the owner of the last buffet had 20.99 and it did fill hunger up that this might be on the right track, however the other two roomies on as I had stated also had high cooking, with the lowest being 15, so I'd think that even if she had prepared the buffet (the sim with 15) that it still would not have filled hunger quite up.

My first pondering while hubby was on the computer and I was idle was why would a sim bother to skill cooking and then turn around and use a buffet, but then it dawned on me that the buffet tables stated that they are only $1 a serving, which they are, whereas with HC the least you can get that for is $3 a plate, so with all the sims not tipping very much it makes sense that more people would be going for buffets, though I do still call the ones where the sims do not bother to skill cooking 'barfets', because to me if you're not going to take the time to skill cooking then you could at least spend the extra simoleans to feed the guests the food that takes 2 plates to fill up since even with NO cooking a sim only has to eat 2 plates of HC instead of 3 on the buffet.

Lesson to be learned? SKILL COOKING EVERYBODY! LOL

G

What you may also want to look at is which of the food servings does you hunger decay faster.