• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Stranger - A bust?

• Thread starter Alpha_Omega
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
A

Alpha_Omega

Well, today I went to my first "The Stranger" spawning. It was on the Atlantic Server in the Hythloth Dungeon. There were about a dozen or so members there, with 4-6 fighting the monster during the spawning.

It took us close to 30 minutes to kill the monster, and when it was completely red lined a slew of lazy people decided it was time to 'head on in". When it died, it changed forms, lots of lights and then the box dropped. Gold spawns as did items.

Now I was right on top of the corpse fighting it with a Pally-Bushido Archer. I ping 8 to Atlantic, and have 0 lag. I saw the box spawn, and already had my curser where it spawned. However I was not the one who looted the box, and honestly it was still there on my screen, yet I was unable to loot it. I searched through the items that spawned on the ground, and noted that the stacks of gold were only in the 100's to 300's (maybe 100k total?).

Not a single one of the items were worth looting for an experienced player, and the gold was not worth the trouble of fighting over.

So I ask you, is this just another poor excuse of a game event? Is this what we are supposed to get excited for? I can get better loot from killing Blood Elementals, and they are a hellava lot easier... and less camped.

I've long stopped playing Ultima Online for what they consider 'content'. I play for the ability to decorate a house, and for the PvP. It is and always be my favorite game, as it was my first... however I am always let down and disappointed by the poor attempts at game content and server events they try to shove down our throats.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After reading whats what with this stranger guff, I haven't even wasted my time going after anything.

1) the lazy bystanders

2) the crap loot

Sure the gems may come in handy sometime, but, like what you went through, It's not worth the hassle and the BS ending.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. The Box, if you can get it, is worth a lot.

2. The gems, at least earlier on in the event some of them were of an unusual shape...Either these will be of some value later, or will have some use later.

3. Inside each box is a Crimson Cincture, and other ML artifacts.

4. It's a damn fun fight, most of the time.

5. Some of the loot is crap, but some is decent.

6. No one's forcing you to go to this....One of the great things about UO is how there's a lot to do. Feel free to go farm blood elementals. Who's shopping you? Who MADE you go to this? NOw that you've gone to one and don't like it, feel free not to go again.

7. Why does everything have to be about the loot? Granted uber loot is nice, I've made money off of this by selling the one box I've managed to find. An alliance mate got a Crimson Cincture that is in active use. But aren't there other reasons too?

"I don't like this event. I'm going to go do something else." That's a perfectly legitimate reaction.

-Galen's player

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, today I went to my first "The Stranger" spawning. It was on the Atlantic Server in the Hythloth Dungeon. There were about a dozen or so members there, with 4-6 fighting the monster during the spawning.

It took us close to 30 minutes to kill the monster, and when it was completely red lined a slew of lazy people decided it was time to 'head on in". When it died, it changed forms, lots of lights and then the box dropped. Gold spawns as did items.

Now I was right on top of the corpse fighting it with a Pally-Bushido Archer. I ping 8 to Atlantic, and have 0 lag. I saw the box spawn, and already had my curser where it spawned. However I was not the one who looted the box, and honestly it was still there on my screen, yet I was unable to loot it. I searched through the items that spawned on the ground, and noted that the stacks of gold were only in the 100's to 300's (maybe 100k total?).

Not a single one of the items were worth looting for an experienced player, and the gold was not worth the trouble of fighting over.

So I ask you, is this just another poor excuse of a game event? Is this what we are supposed to get excited for? I can get better loot from killing Blood Elementals, and they are a hellava lot easier... and less camped.

I've long stopped playing Ultima Online for what they consider 'content'. I play for the ability to decorate a house, and for the PvP. It is and always be my favorite game, as it was my first... however I am always let down and disappointed by the poor attempts at game content and server events they try to shove down our throats.
Don't be discouraged by not getting the good loot your first time out. There is, as always, a trick to getting the box that gives you very little advantage over anyone else. If there were a dozen other folks seasoned to the experience there then you had a very slim chance of nabing it anyway.

It took me several tries to get the good stuff. Alt + tab is definitely your friend here. On my 5th or 6th stranger I thumped it and what do ya know "Crimson Cinture" poped and I was fortunate enough to get it. All together I have fought probably 30 strangers. Now I have three boxes, the crimy, a full set of rare gems and a handful of ML ingredients. But most of those fights I left empty handed and minus a pile of insurance money.

I know of one fella on my shard that always seems to instantly get the box, all good ML ingredients and all rare gems (managing to leave the normal gems somehow) in a single pass around the room....then promptly recall out I know what he is up to so if I see him in the group I just go do something else. That is my only real dissapoinment in this event.

In the later hours very few folks show up to these things. Try to go then if you want the loot. Just hang in there!

K

Kensai Tsunami

can u say 'speed hack'?
i have seen it 5 times now on LS during this most recent event (i.e. the strangers).
the wonderful folks at EA have apparently decided that if someone pays them more money than the rest of us, considering most hackers/scripters/cheaters have a dozen or more accts (which gives them 'immunity'?), so they let them do what they wish; screw the honest ppl?
"perhaps you were the victim of an isolated lag incident ...ck your ping rate; ck w/your provider for problems on their end, etc etc"
that was the response i got after hounding them over it!
perhaps 5 times aye ...yeah right.
wow! "cant fix stupid" as they say.

how friggin LAME are these guys providing us 'service'?
i had already traced my connect and it is NOT anything other than hackers - period! after seeing it for so many yrs, it becomes very obvious when a hack occurs. esp a speed hack.
one guy even bragged about what he had done - taunting the others as if he was immune to retribution.

isnt it about time we all ban together to make them stop these slugs?
write/call the corp execs ...i dunno ...any ideas?
do we have to get a petition ...as if it would do any good if i dont have more accts than the guy i am reporting?
this is stupid!
maybe if i spend another few hundred bucks a month on more accts i might have a voice?
*big sigh*

personally i dont really care about the strangers since EA made it possible for any bum to grab the goods with this one.
maybe i should stand there and watch the melee and wander in to loot at the end like every other worthless punk in the game? uhm no. i wont.

i have loved uo for close to 10 yrs now, so this crap is hardly new to me.
but to have the ppl at EA make an event that any banksitter/hacker can get loot w/out participating in the kill is definately one of the most ill-conceived ideas i have seen to date. its a flat out slap in the face with an expected 'thank you for letting me play this most wonderous game oh great uo gods'!
BAH!!!

so yes, this event IS 'a bust' imo.

...stunning that folks dont see whats happening under their noses.
c'est la vie

P

packrat

I know of one fella on my shard that always seems to instantly get the box, all good ML ingredients and all rare gems (managing to leave the normal gems somehow) in a single pass around the room....then promptly recall out I know what he is up to so if I see him in the group I just go do something else. That is my only real dissapoinment in this event.
I have wittnessed this myself yesterday. I don't worry about the gold, I go straight for the gems. I was picking up gems. And I noticed if you press crt-Shift, some gems show up on the screen when others don't. So I go for the ones that dont show on the screen first. I am getting ready to grab a couple and this one guy passes by and never stopped but all of those gems are disappearing. He wiped the whole floor of gems in seconds. left behind all the normal ones. I guess he was using auto loot or some other third party program.

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nah, i see what's happening. which is exactly why i'm not participating. not worth it to me. not by a long shot.

T

Tom Bombadil

Evil will always triumph over good because good is dumb.

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no, evil will always triumph because good can't do a damn thing to stop them. you paged a gm lately? i waited in a queue for over an hour to finally get an automated message saying 'we're looking into it but for security purposes we'll never tell you if we found anything or if we ever did anything in the first place'.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

2. The gems, at least earlier on in the event some of them were of an unusual shape...Either these will be of some value later, or will have some use later.

6. No one's forcing you to go to this....One of the great things about UO is how there's a lot to do. Feel free to go farm blood elementals. Who's shopping you? Who MADE you go to this? NOw that you've gone to one and don't like it, feel free not to go again.

7. Why does everything have to be about the loot? Granted uber loot is nice, I've made money off of this by selling the one box I've managed to find. An alliance mate got a Crimson Cincture that is in active use. But aren't there other reasons too?

"I don't like this event. I'm going to go do something else." That's a perfectly legitimate reaction.

-Galen's player
theres definitely not a crimson cincture in every box, ive been to about 12-15 strangers on chessy and have gotten the box 5 times, there has not been a cincture at any of these dropped on the ground, i did control shift instantly never saw one

B

bwitched

-Galen's player

I have done many of these and at least 4 with only close friends I have only seen one crimson cincuture fall out of all of them. I have picked up 4 boxes so far all empty? Is there something to come? or are we being screwed hehe on our shard.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the box spawns as full with roughly 100 items, however when someone opens it all the items spill out, therefore when u pick the box up its empty

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After reading whats what with this stranger guff, I haven't even wasted my time going after anything.

1) the lazy bystanders

2) the crap loot

Sure the gems may come in handy sometime, but, like what you went through, It's not worth the hassle and the BS ending.
Crap loot? El OH El!!!!

ring:
11 hci
12 dci
11 sdi
7 lmc
20 dmg

bracelet
1 fc
2 fcr
15 dci
11 lrc
13 fire resist...

yeah...thats really crappy.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Crap loot? El OH El!!!!

ring:
11 hci
12 dci
11 sdi
7 lmc
20 dmg

bracelet
1 fc
2 fcr
15 dci
11 lrc
13 fire resist...

yeah...thats really crappy.
I give you really crappy loot to counter your decent loot:

Ornate Axe
48 life leech
7 hit chance increase
34 damage increase

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya I'll never consider anything from this event worth putting in my museum. It would take those feeding theese BS events a left and right brain cell to rub together and show up where the players are and observe the play. I took me almost two weeks of double paging on two systems to get rid of the fletcher quest scripters. Haven't sen a GM with a backbone in over 3 years. Hell each time I get a GM on they warn they will bann my account. So I'll give them that. After all it is a product and what we are willing to pay reflects the service. So shutting down two more accounts. You see the Q gone from LS Luna you'll know nothing has improved.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went once and realised loot came on the ground. I wont go again. Big step back and the first event I skip in 8 years.

J

Joyous2K

Yes a bust bc it was a poor story. They nerfed drags bc of crybabies. But especially the story. Shoddy tradecraft. Stranger 5 crashed entire servers multiple times. If that isn't a complete and epic fail I am really not sure what is. EPIC FAIL on poor story and stranger nonsense.

I fought two and died alot on one and did not die alot on the other. Neither was "fun" the paralysis upon defeating the nerd was not fun either. KR needs work on looting from ground. Single right click would do fine, but that is not how it is yet.

S

Satanatra

"I am always let down and disappointed by the poor attempts at game content and server events they try to shove down our throats."

Is your definition of content based on loot? Getting an item? Or figuring out the storyline (where it is going) or working with a team towards defeating a seriously difficult opponent?

I get sick of reading the complaints of people who basically say:

"The loot isnt worth my time so im not bothering..."

But then, if you arent bothering to go, then could you stop complaining bout it? Leave the others enjoy themselves. They certainly arent spamming the forums, trying to stop you from enjoying your pursuit of pixel crack.

F

FarukAlazar

"I am always let down and disappointed by the poor attempts at game content and server events they try to shove down our throats."

Is your definition of content based on loot? Getting an item? Or figuring out the storyline (where it is going) or working with a team towards defeating a seriously difficult opponent?

But then, if you arent bothering to go, then could you stop complaining bout it? Leave the others enjoy themselves. They certainly arent spamming the forums, trying to stop you from enjoying your pursuit of pixel crack.
QFT

Just because you didn't get anything doesn't make it a bust. I'm having a good time with it and I haven't gotten anything worth writing home about. Sometimes its not all about the loot. Its about what you put into it. That's what you'll get back out of it.

B

BartofCats

I would have to agree with the OP tho... on Cats, the first one of the morning was just taken down within the past hour... and within 3 seconds the loot that spawned on the ground was gone.

Dont get me wrong im not complaining, but which Dev decided that this would be a fun and fair way for loot to be given to those who actually did the work in killing said stranger?? I and 2 others of us will not be going back to kill the stranger.

At least with an instanced corpse we could all have a somewhat fair shot at

A) the box
B) arties if any
C) our own loot instead of nothing at all.

Once again... Scripters Win. Thanks alot Devs.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I thought I had read a post where the boxes were gonna have loot in em, and not be empty. The one I looted was empty, 2 days ago, as was the one from a few days earlier.
Heheheh, after reading they sposed to have a crimson in em, I want my 1k arrows and 45 mins back! :wall:

E

Evilminion

Just finished whacking another one on Lake Austin, and had a wonderful time, as always. :D Sure, the loot is nice -- I have a lockbox and 8 out of the 12 new gems -- but mostly I just enjoy working together as a team with other folks from my shard that I might not have met yet.

The only way this event can be a bust is if you make it one. Personally, I'm having a grand old time... :thumbup1: ...if a painful one... :stretcher:

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am enjoying the event, and I have managed to get a few nice things. I do think that the current system is a little problematic. It is totally possible to do nothing (no fighting, no healing, no ressing) and get more than someone doing something. There are people who do focus on healing people and ressing, and I appreciate them. I'm glad they can get something. However, I have less sympathy for those who do zip.

J

Jhym

Of course, no one would think that perhaps the strangers are also being used to catch speedhackers and other cheaters in the act.

Since it's a specialized creature with lots of different powers, and localized to particular places, it would certainly be a great way to catch the greedy, hm?

Esmeralda

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It can be damn frustrating, fighting that hard and dieing often, and then not getting much of value.
But on the other hand, keep trying! I got one box, a few rare gems and a nice challenge with my guildies!
Maybe, if you don´t focus on the box everytime, you might be able to snag some nice loot!
And tbh.. I don´t mind that those items are dropping on ground, as long as only those loot who fought or aided.

*crosses fingers for your future stranger loot*

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
can u say 'speed hack'?
It isn't a speed hack, although I suppose it could be combined with one. It's a complex script written that is often uses at idocs that will loot everything within range for you, based on the item's worth, and you can probably configure it to loot specific items as well. I don't know exactly how it works, but I know about it, because I've heard cheaters talking about it, and I've seen it in action.

If someone is using this script you might as well give up and do something else. It loots far faster than humanly possible, and the only ones who will have a chance to get anything of value when someone is running this script, are others running the same script.

The event is fun, the Strangers are fun, they leave great loot, but the script looting losers, as is the case at many idocs, simply ruin things for the honest players. Why do we have to put up with this? When are the devs/EA going to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT?

I love UO, I've had tons of fun playing it, but at this point, I'm just waiting for another game to come along. It's just not worth putting up with the losers that can't play clean. It's beyond frustrating and annoying and it robs the game of an awful lot of it's fun. The cheaters have won, no if's and's or buts, and nothing I've seen indicates that is ever going to change.

Even if the devs were to implement an effective anti-cheat strategy tomorrow, that would still mean that that implementation took about ten times longer than it should have. Most of the big cheating issues have been with UO since just about day one, and it is pretty clear that they were never taken seriously, as the situation has only gotten worse as the years have passed.

At this point the devs should just admit they've lost the war, and do what so many of the free shards do, let anyone run any cheat/3rd party app they want. Then at least everyone would be competing on a level playing field. As it stands now the only ones who lose are the honest players.

A

Alpha_Omega

I said I was sick of the poor attempt at content, not the crap loot from the poor content.

The loot is junk overall, and what I've been able to grab or see during the bullcrap free-for-all went into the trash barrel. I've been to half a dozen of these so far, and have picked up some of the jewels just in case there is a purpose for those in the future.

There is no doubt that the event storyline and loot technique was a poor idea. The Monster is fine, and is a challenge to kill. I accept that and feel that the mob itself is a nice addition, and more monsters need to be like that in game... for just general killing (something that you need to kill with a guild, that will respawn)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't get it...... inside each box??? I got a box.... it was empty...... totally.... once I picked up a piece of scourge.... ONCE.... Never saw a Crimmy..... never saw anything else.... I've picked up a few gems but the last 2 or 3 that I've done I haven't even gotten a gem...... So far as I am concerned I am sure I die at least 4 times with each stranger spawn.... that's roughtly 60k on gold.... maybe more.... so honestly I doubt I'm getting ANYTHING out of this spawn worth 60k....... Kinda fun and RP wise I "should" be doing them...... doesn't mean I like them nor am I happy but then if each and every one dropped 100 wonderous items... for one ....... 300 people would show up to each one..... and for two..... sure would make going back to hunting anything else seem worthless...... and three.... what would be the point of doing any peerless anymore if everyone got a crimmy or two out of this?? ........ finally we wonder about the economy..... but I can say I kill balrons all the time..... I kill maybe 30 or so... and I might...... and that's a big MIGHT keep one item...... out of 30.... poor odds there if you ask me.... but then the more "wonderful" items I do keep the better my baseline is and the higher my standards become till eventually the baseline is soooo very high that 99.8% of what I see is junk...... Chew on that.

M

Moby Grape

Was blown away with the event happenings today!

Here we were frozen, the stranger did just died, the box appeared. Out from no where, in back of us, this peep runs by us to the box. Mind you, we are still froze in place, when he opens the box and sprays stuff everywhere.

Now explain to me, how that is in any way, fair to the rest of us players.

Fizzleton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, indeed, it's a script "normally" used at idoc's. the only thing u can do is IF these chars show up, stop killing the mob. Instantly. They are not able to finish it. That does not give much satisfaction, but is the only way to stop their business. There are also those who are Stealthers, but u can't counter any strategie. Paging will be pointless, no GM did ever anything against scriptlooting, and they won't do it here

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bring back EM events. At least they had a feasable storyline. Well they did on Oceania anyway. Even without the event items it was super fun!

S

Sneaky

SEE THIS IS WHY ALL EVENTS SHOULD BE IN FEL ONLY FROM NOW ON.

The player justice system is the only one that works... see thats what is great about Fel, you don't like the way some guy just came in and "auto looted" all the stuff? Well guess what, you can just loot them back off his cold dead body once you set things right :thumbup1:

...it might actually make the event fun also...

R

RavenWinterHawk

No offense but to all the belly achers.
"Tuffin UP"

The boxes are a dime a dozen. Stop going after them. Or just buy one. 6 to 8 a day over 3 weeks. You figure out how many will be around.

Now pick up the rare gems. If your not.... OH AND BY THE WAY. They are just laying on the ground.

I got Crimson Cin. I hit CTRL-ALT and saw crimson. I took it.

GEEZ.

OH WAIT. Lets have 50 crimson blow up each time. And artifact weapons.

Yeah Im tired of Whiners.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
finally we wonder about the economy..... but I can say I kill balrons all the time..... I kill maybe 30 or so... and I might...... and that's a big MIGHT keep one item...... out of 30.... poor odds there if you ask me.... but then the more "wonderful" items I do keep the better my baseline is and the higher my standards become till eventually the baseline is soooo very high that 99.8% of what I see is junk...... Chew on that.
He's absolute right, I came back to UO after being away for four years. I left before AoS. Someone gave me a valorite kryss. It seems to me it had 20 lightning on it and 20 damage increase. I was very grateful, and used that kryss as I got back into the game, starting off where I'd left off four years ago, killing elementals in Shame, just to get some starting gold.

Then I moved up to elder gazers, and I started getting some better loot. I was always carrying jewels and armour back, enhancing the armour, and I built myself a nice starting suit with all that stuff.

Fast forward a couple of years and I've done peerless now, and Doom, and a few events, and when I farm blood elementals, working on fame for sacrifice, or karma so I can burn it killing cu sidhe, or hoping for an elusive artifact to turn in, I keep almost nothing. I might find one or two items to keep for every six hours I spend farming, and the same is true for succubus, or paragon succubus.

My equipment is quite good now, and I would have to find something almost miraculous before I could find a use for it. Many of us have been playing for so many years, that it is no surprise that in an event like this we don't end up finding much, if anything, we can use, even though the loot that these strangers drop is actually quite good (that's of course if we manage to avoid the script looters).

That kryss that I was so happy with a couple of years ago, is long gone, and I wouldn't even look twice at anything I found like it. It's just a consequence of a couple of years of game play, and endlessly scrounging through corpses and idocs, and the many more wonderful gifts I've received since them.

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

-Galen's player

My two boxes were empty.. never saw a crimmy...

UncleSham

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
originally the boxes were empty (a bug not intended).the boxes would drop on the floor amongst the gold and gems that spawn on the floor anyway. then anyone could pick it up . now the boxes contain loot but still noone can pick the box up till its empty. the first one who tries however will cause the contents to explode out onto the ground .

this is why poeple are picking up crimsons off the floor . it would be in the box but it got ... randomly distributed uppon the floor.

not saying that is fair ... just thats how it works .

this random distribution is wrong , poeple who spend the effort should get instanced loots.

K

Kratos Aurion

I feel the same as others. With out instance looting, then its totally pointless. I was fighthing one on GL hythloth for over an hour with 4 people. Eventually a few by standers came in and looted anything that would have possibly been decent and not to mention a bystander got the box.

Guess its another event not worth participating with out fair looting rights.

S

Satanatra

After reading this post, i thought that i had better go experience the strangers myself. A lot of people were complaining bout scripting and the impossibility of getting anything worth the effort. I wanted to see it myself since i had already put my 2 cents in.

Well, I got to Hyth in the beginning (Stranger at full health) and started with my mates the long process of killing it. More and more people showed up and, although im fairly certain that not everyong put themselves at risk, there were constantly 20-30 evs on it and a few pets too. I died once (quickly ressed my the crowd) and was teleported to 3 diffferent places around sosaria by the stranger. I enjoyed the teleporting tbh.

In the end, just before he died, i ran up close to him and waited. There was an explotion of items and the floor filled up - i hit ctr/shift and saw a label that read "chest..." and grabbed it. Yes i got the box everyone says is impossible to get without scripting. I am not even particularly fast with a mouse. Btw i also got a pair of leather sleeves with 2mr 7lmc 14/15/4/6/12 unenhanced...

Obviously i had a blast. I have to admit though that afterwards i listened to a few of the people in my party complaining about the event, saying that it wasnt worth the time and that the scripters got all the good stuff. They were surprised to find out that i got it.

Morale of the story - there are in fact a lot of scripters out there but it is all too easy to believe that anyone who beats you in pvp, anyone who loots an item you wanted, in fact anyone, is scripting. After all, there is no court to prove otherwise.

M

mmmbeer

id like to know when the strangers will start rotating?!?!?