• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Seventh Convocation

Min

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran

In the inner sanctum of the Council Tower, eight of the world's most powerful mages glared at one another across the black marble table with open enmity. Rotep and three other mages sat on one side, with Penrose his three Moonglow Inquisitors across from them. The derision was palpable between them.

I watched from the end of the table, while reading from the agenda. The only other sound in the chamber came from the scrivener, scratching at his parchment as he meticulously recorded the proceedings. "Since Penrose declared war on Yew, the Hand is openly attacking any mage they encounter. Regardless of whether or not they are directly affiliated with Penrose and his city of Moonglow. I cannot demand that anyone actively fight them, but they are a threat to all of us. You should be prepared to defend yourselves."

Rotep voiced what some of his compatriots were thinking "Good. Maybe they'll do us all a favor and kill Penrose and his golem abominations."

The council chamber erupted into chaos, mages gesturing angrily at one another and making dire threats. Penrose struck a fist against the table and hissed his response, his voice was dark and grave behind the mask. "You are welcome. To try it yourself."

I called the chamber to order, rapping my staff against the stone floor. Rotep had effectively doused any possibility of Penrose receiving direct Council intervention in Moonglow. Merek wouldn't have the votes to pass a resolution, so he didn't even bother presenting one. Instead he spoke calmly, more cunning and statesmanlike than anyone likely expected of him, "Any of you that wish. Individually... You are free to join us and make a stand, taking up arms with my forces in Moonglow."

It was a masterful political move, the Governor knew that more wizards would flock to his cause as the indiscriminate attacks continued. Those who opposed him directly would be isolated, and eventually forced to either assist or fight alone. Rotep only scowled, clearly having done the math. Penrose's own faction scoffed and groused that Moonglow didn't want or need anyone else's help.

I cleared my throat, continuing as the chamber fell silent, "Our second order of business: Seska. She is now free, and has openly attacked multiple Council members. She also left mutilated corpses of children on the roof of this tower, and in front of the Governor's office. The creature intends to bring Others from her cursed home in the void, in an attempt to exterminate all life on this shard. I propose a motion that we work together to destroy the creature."

As usual, Rotep was the first to speak, "Why should we help? Seska was only brought here to begin with because of Penrose's incompetence."

Again the chamber devolved into shouts and threats. Hands went to weapons before I could bring order again. The Council of Mages only has a few rules, but prohibiting members from killing one another within this tower is certainly one of them. The metal-shod end of my staff banged loudly against the elegantly tiled floor, "ORDER! ORDER! There will be NO VIOLENCE here within this tower! We are all of magical blood, every seated mage present has a right to their say and vote."

Calm returned, and mages took their seats. Rotep's faction was obdurate, sandbagging the vote by abstaining because the outcome would benefit Penrose. I added the fifth vote to pass the measure, meaning that every mage was duty bound to help destroy the nightmare creature once and for all.

Now, we collectively research and develop the magic to accomplish the task. Thus I began assigning tasks for the nine Council mages.

Last edited: