• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The return of the Creature Feature #31: Fan Dancers

E

Elyssar

To those unfamiliar with the Creature Feature, it's just a place for us to discuss a certain creature...tell stories of encounters with it, tactics against it, or other interesting facts (even haikus!)

And so after a long break, our newest feature is something fairly new...the fan dancer from the Samurai empire expansion!

Fan Dancers spawn in the Fan Dancer Dojo (hey, imagine that!) and the areas surrounding it above ground. They have over a thousand gold and can have the elusive origami paper.

Fan dancers can hit with both melee and ranged attacks, including an attack which for some reason lowers a target's fire resist. (Maybe they post on stratics and want to flame people?) /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

In my opinion, the worst thing about the fan dancers is their melee which can utterly drain your stamina. I recalled into a pair of super fast ones courtesy of the recall/server line bug and was hit twice and had 0 stamina. I tried to walk away and drag bars to provoke them, but they were just too fast. They're flagged notargetpeace and noareapeace, so I literally walked to death with them on my tail. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

I like to fight them with my pally/tamer, even though enemy of one doesn't seem to work on them. Paired up with my axe of the heavens and a mare we make short work of them. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

B

berniek

No biggy, fodders to the WWs. The only time I need some vetting when they firestorm attack or something like that. They are like the elite ninjas, sometimes I have to finish them with Corp Por.

Easily farmable, thus highly camped!

B

Britney

The sound they make reminds me of a streetwalker... /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

E

Elyssar

DOuble click it to fold it into a shape, then either lock it down or sell it on a vendor...

A

Arctic_Wolf

extraordinarily easy for a mage, simply summon an earth ele, and get it to attack them. The earth ele takes very little damage from them, maybe a gheal every now and then. If you want to speed up your kill rate, add an ev to the mix, they go down all too easily /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

L

Lady Violet

Origami papers are almost perfect gifts also... *loves em*

O

Osiris Darkmoon

No problem at all for my wyrm....

And GLAD to see a CF again! It's been a while......

R

ralphEUR

Been farming them for a few days with my beetle/mare. probably need to apply 0-1 bandage to my beetle per fan dancer which is nice.
Usually get at least 1 origami paper per session which sell on my vendor for 60k - lots of gold, better loot than most creatures.

Blood whats?

K

Kuunloiste

How often do you get origami paper from them? I've killed over 300 Fan Dancers and have yet to see a single paper.

S

Shadow Weaver

I too am extremely curious as to the odds of recieving some paper. I've hunted them for a few hour long sessions and have yet to get some paper. I do believe that UO has made these dancers WAY too easy to kill for the amount of loot they give out. Both a hiryu or a rune beetle can demolish them easily without a band-aid.

R

ralphEUR

I'd say in total I've had about 10-12 papers. Last night I got two in the space of a few minutes - other times it takes an hour plus before one shows.
Maybe origami paper works on the same code as artifacts (ie some people get loads.. like a guildmate of mine recieveing 3 within 90 mins, others get none regardless of how much damage/time they spend there).

T

Truesilver Hete

I use my Dragon since my Guildmate recommended it and it works better then my noob rune beetle. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/laugh.gif

Dragons kill Fan Dancers fairly easy.

I plan to train my Beetle up first before I can see what he can do.. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/laugh.gif

J

Jimnarious

Lots of fun . Just gotta watch out for Ronin and those sneaky Elite ninjas that like to pop up when you are least expecting them.

<center>

D

dage

hi, just go into the fan dancer Dojo lvl 1 and there are 1 to 3 fan dancers spawn, at the large room there are 2 fan dancers spawn(occasionally someone will run past this room and thus the fan dancer will follow them into the dungeon thus leaving 1 fan dancer spawn at the large room). Slightly east from the large room is a smaller room and this spawn 1 fan dancer too. The only bad thing is , the fan dancer spawn very fast and thus U might not have time to loot item except for gold.Get a hiryu to go hunt them since hiryu do not cast spell like invis themselve and hiryu has very high fire resist as fan dancer will cast a skill for greatly reducing fire resist on the target. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

R

Randum

My favorite way to fight these is with a mare. Since you can't gate or summon a pet into the dojo proper, I ride my mare down to a nice secluded spot with a single dancer and let her rip the thing apart. Takes very little vetting with a well trained mare and it gives us old folks the time to loot the kills. Last time I took my wyrm down there, it killed the dancers so fast I was scrambling to keep up with looting them.

I suppose a hiryu would be the same as a mare as far as being able to ride it deep into the dojo, but it would probably pile up the bodies faster than I could clean them out. One of these days, I'll find a colored hiryu with decent stats/skills, bond it, and find out for sure. heh.

B

Bootsrtap Bill

I've read somewhere (can't remember where :/ ) that fan dancers spawn origami paper as &lt;1%. Can't remember for the life of me though

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Last time I took my wyrm down there,it killed the dancers so fast I was scrambling to keep up with looting them"

Ahhh the burdon of the Tamer....tis hard isnt it?

N

Nacholicus

Pretty ridiculous that they have better loot than a succubus, but are about 5x easier.

S

Satin

I wouldnt say 5x easier. I would say about 20x easier. Definately ridiculous.

S

Smakit

As others have said, definitely stupid in terms of loot for difficulty. There are, what, 3 - 4 or more outside spawning, 2 inside the first one, one in the corner [the 'prime' spot], 2 south of that, and 1 with a demon/headless fury a bit further. And this is only the first floor.

Each one of these buggers leave over 1k, numerous magic (and sometimes GOOD) items, and the origami, which is now hard to sell at 10-15k per. Regardless of the quick drop in prices of the paper, the loot is still HIGHLY excessive. They are not hard. Tamers don't even have to vet a trained pet - maybe once in a blue moon - and with the gheal instead of invis fix coming at some point, you can leave your bandages at home and just scoop the loot.

And its not just tamers - pallys can also defeat them with very little trouble. The only group that might have trouble are the mule characters with tinkering, smithy, and tailoring. But then, why are they here anyway unless they have stealing or a pack of gExplosions? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
heh maybe the pallies need to be able to tell their weapon of choice to "all kill" and stand back and watch.

B

Britney

Sure, as long as they take two more skills in order to heal and control their weapon. Then when they go out to get their weapon, the properties drop by 10% that they have to retrain. And sometimes, the weapon will not listen to them. Oh, while it is in storage, it can instantly disappear for no reason. Stop trolling.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heal the weapon? Oh you mean repair it.
Two extra skills to go with it? I guess you mean anatomy and tactics
The weapon wont listen? I have missed with my weapon 10 times in a row before. Bad sword bad bad sword! I have lost my weapons in my house before caused by a bug.
If you dont like what I am saying means I am trolling?

D

Dragoonboy_2000

Bah, fan dancers are too easy for a tamer- My suggestion would be to nerf the loot and keep the oragami that spawns on em, hey, it sells well more than good enough. As for respawn rates, I'm not positive but I could've sworn I saw a dev say 1%. Thats about how often I get them, so feel free to prove me wrong ^_^

Also, referring to gauntlet artys... lol

Thats a REALLY low %, but lets put it this way. You have a six sided die. While it is improbable, it could be possible to roll a six twenty times in a row, that explains awkward spawn rates. You guys gotta remember, things dont spawn based on guarantee, they're subject to a check every time you try. Something could have a one in 50 chance of spawning, and you may never see the item for 4000 tries. It is just luck of the draw. Hope this helps ^_^

BARTON!!

-Dragoon

D

Dragoonboy_2000

And btw, tamers, a little note on those of you bashing on pally boy...

I bet half of you never tried a paladin in some of the areas that you hunt. Or any other template, for that matter.

Taming is HIGHLY overdone, but its been in the game too long to fix. Think of it as selecting easy from the difficulty menu. That's what I do, then it doesn't bother me as much ^_^

G

godsent

I have 2 pallies and 1 tamer, I lub both my pallies, 1 is for doom (archer) and 1 is gold farming, my tamer also gold farms but I enjoy doing it, when i made my tamer it opened the game a lot more for me and even if the fan dancers do give stupid loot and are incredibly easy, would you rather have them be incredibly hard and give crap loot?

B

Britney

You can't compare repairing with healing a pet because a pet takes more damage at a faster pace. Repairing is like after the fact.
Anatomy and tactics give damage bonuses, you can train any melee skill without taking them. However, lore is required to have any control over your tames and is not optional. Vet can be though.
You also can't compare not listening with missing because if you miss, your wep doesn't take off around the corner or attack everything in sight so that you have to drag it out of heavy spawn.
Ok, that bug hasn't happened to me so I'll take your word on it.
I apologize, got caught up there. You were making a valid argument, I am sorry to have accused you.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
M'lady Britney theres no need to apologize to me /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif because for one, I do not take anything here that seriously. These forums are fun to me and maybe I need to say sorry to you if I have offended you. I know my typing doesnt truely show what I am saying irl.

haha but it would be funny to see when i would attack a daemon and my kryss jump out of my hand and run off /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif and fight the nearest lich. I think I would have the laugh of a lifetime! I can see it now.....

Me: "Hey excuse me but have you seen my uber kryss anywhere around here? I said all kill to it and clicked a daemon but it had other plans and ran off and now I cant find it. I am worried because I havent bonded with it yet and I paid a mint for it"

OR: "Excuse me but are you a GM smith or better? Yeah my kryss was killed in Doom and I need a rez. Can ya help me?" Then the GM smith would take his hammer and a couple of ingots and bring it back to life.

B

Britney

Haha, that's pretty good. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif
Don't try mounting your kryss though, that could get... complicated. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
haha think that would be complicated? try having too much cider and trying to mount a blade spirit....not a pretty sight indeed.

G

Well so much for having a productive tamer post in the taming forum!

<blockquote><hr>

tell weapon all kill ... sit back and watch it go...

<hr></blockquote>

This post was going so well until you came along "Hunters' moon"
why is it difficult for you to realize taming is a skill and a way of play just as much as sword is..

both have complementary skills taming (vent and lore)
at the same time sword skill has (anat and tact)

a 700 str draggon with 550+hits 135 dex, and some couple hundred in mana. can effectivly kill faster then
a characters with 100 or so str and only 100 or so hit points.

You can't tell me you are dence enough not to see that. don't be a hater! We chose tamers because we like the idea of having a trained animal do the fighting, We are vulnerable as hell when they die or we get targeted.

instead of being so disctructive with you posts why not add something productive that will help the post.

Taming takes alof of work to raise skill I can't sit infront of a Golem and tame till i am 120..

I am still working taming bit by bit. 110.3 and climbing thanks to fix in GGS..
But before I would see .1 gainf from about 1 to two hours of taming.

Now back on post.

Fandancers are easiest if you have discord. It makes chop sewi out of them.
I usually use a Hiyru and seldom have to heal it.
the hiyru i tamed has 90% fire resist and shrugs off any attacts from fandancers.
My friend brings a bard with 120 discord and we rack them up... got 3 papers last night.. one if which yielded the star shape,which now completes my collection.

For the longest time i was getting nothing but frogs.

I sell my excess really cheap.. 20k or less in chessy yew gate. {{Super Slayer}} vendor.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hunters' Moon is.......A disrupter of happy happy joy joy tamer threads?
.......A Hater?
.......Dense?
........Unattended fights a golum to 120 skill??

Wow you got me all figured out dont you? OK first insult-I ruin tamer forum threads....I will from now on run all posts I wish to place by you Panica to see if it gets your approval.
2nd insult-I am a hater? Why? because I dont laude the virtues of the tamer? Sorry I'll do better next time....

3rd insult-dense? hmm now your flaming me on that one arn't you?

4th insult-I fight a golum all the way to 120 skill? You will NEVER see me 8X8 nor golum fight for skill. It is fact that some of the players get the powerup tamer templates and put on jewlery and buy a WW at West Brit Bank.

I do in fact realize that WW's and rune beetles are walking artifacts that can be kept with no insurance costs and with no need of "repairs".

Are you a sitting duck if your walking artifact gets red-lined? Then how about adding magery with eval int and med to your template.

H

hiai

SOOOOO...ANYWAY....... back to the actual tamer forum discussion:

I find the dancers are best handled by my hiryu, no surprise there. I don't need much in the way of healing, obviously, fantastic tank that it is, and the damage output is slightly lower then a WW or Drag would be, so I all kill and let the hiryu do it's thing, so the slightly slower deaths leave me a tiny bit more time for looting. Unfortunately, as my hiryu gets trained up, it's been taking less and less time to kill, leaving me more hardpressed to loot before the next respawn.

I've taken to targetting with all kill, then having then having the hiryu follow me around, so that it takes a bit longer as the fan dancer chases it down. hehehe

Basically, the very best way I've seen so far is having two people do it. My friend goes on his mare and parks his WW up along the stairs in case of any needed backup. He rides his mare and is the designated looter, watching my back in case of any gheal/invis needs. I take my hiryu and all kill every time a dancer spawns, usually two at a time in the first lvl long room, and just vet, looting gold only, as my friend does the real perusal. He also gets any of the gold I miss along the way, obviously. lol

Once in awhile, the speed of the suckers will become a bit of an issue, when they spawn in an awkward spot, so that's when my friend calls his WW down to help manage. Actually, tbh though, I wish he would just leave it home, cuz there is no need, and I have been spoiled by using the hiryu with it's smaller graphics. heheh IMO, his mare alone would be ample backup, but he seems to like having the assurance that he can take completely over if I lose conn or something...:D Such a cautious man.....

T

Takara Ryooshi

I was using a ww/mare combo and 1100+ luck, when SE came out, not one origami paper in well over 100 kills, and I too had trouble keeping up with kills but loot was absolutely fantastic.

It was feeling like overkill again so I switched to my archer/paladin and about 550 luck, just to break it up a bit. I get so annoyed with pets targeting through walls and constantly running off. Loot was still decent; 15 reflect physical stuff etc, and within a week 5 papers. Gets a bit dicey with 3 on me so I just run upstairs. Good fun teaming up with other players there with either my tamer or archer.

Hope I didn't go too far off the "actual tamer forum discussion".

G

<blockquote><hr>

I find the dancers are best handled by my hiryu, no surprise there. I don't need much in the way of healing, obviously, fantastic tank that it is, and the damage output is slightly lower then a WW or Drag would be, so I all kill and let the hiryu do it's thing, so the slightly slower deaths leave me a tiny bit more time for looting

<hr></blockquote>

Yes I agree by far the most efficient. The extra time for looting is a big plus!
with discord and hiyru combo it's soo fast i can't loot all the bodies! I know i leave alot behind. and get to the point of only looking gold and paper!

I have tried the Rune Beetle and mare approach and it works fine as slong as rune beetle misses poisoning ones in a while... other then that it's quick too!

what stinks is if you start looting one and onother pop up next to you and starts whacking away ... Their fire attack really packs a punch. Although i can get away in time to survive, sometime i run into Saccuby's and then the problems beggin!

K

Kallitcha

<blockquote><hr>

Their fire attack really packs a punch

<hr></blockquote>
Yea, only if you are wairing a non resist suit. That would be the disadvantage of wairing a luck suit versus resist suit. If you wair a suit that has high protection, Ie a all 70's suit, they barely do any damage. If they target you, casting invis is a waste of time unless your are wairing faster casting stuff. When they do target you I would suggest you run ahead of them and repeat your all kill macro and last target your pets to keep hiting them. Once the fan dancers health is below 70%ish it will change its target on you to targeting the pets attacking it. As far as the stam leech they preform, I bring along a couple of tottal refresh pots for emergency use incase they get ahold of you and drain you to 0 stam before you can get ahead of them.

If Im fighting in the area where the "saccuby's" spawn I allways bring the WW/Dragon with the Mare Combo. Sure that combo kills the Fan Dancers a little to quickly, but it also kills the "Saccuby's" quiker then they can kill your pet. Helps to keep that life leech from getting ahold of you. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Just the way I battle these creatures. BTW, I have found that the hiryu's are a tottal waste of time with PVM. Now using a PVP Tamer. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif HEHE they rock.

H

hiai

Hmm. Well to each his own I suppose. I find I cannot agree that a hiryu is useless. While it's true they do not pack a very big punch, compared to a well-trained WW, dragon, or mare, they are incomparable tanks for anything that doesn't deal cold damage.

Their combination of high resists, especially fire and physical, and high hit points, make them the perfect tanks for high damage output spawn.

Obviously, there are alot of things I wouldn't bother taking a hiryu to fight. But like always, I try to find the best tool for the job for any hunting I do, so, like when I pull out the proper slayer sword on my pally, I use the proper pet on my tamer. And a hiryu is a very useful and valuable tool to have in the stables.

There are some tameables I wouldn't bother wasting stable space on. But by and large, I generally find a good use for most high-ends, and so I kep them bonded and trained as well as I can. Because having a tamer is just plain fun. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif